UCF Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • Let me start out with the good. UConn played really good defense through 3 qtrs tonight. However, with Liv on the bench, and then playing passively with 4 fouls, UCF started to attack the basket more effectively in the 4th qtr.
  • UConn seems to be starting their offense farther away from the basket, which is a problem. When the Huskies get the ball inside, good things usually happen.
  • UConn is going to get a steady dose of zone defense until they start to do a better job attacking it. The high post is the key. In past seasons we’ve had some great players fill that role. So far this season, no one has been particularly effective. Unfortunately, the player that was most effective tonight in the high post was Crystal our pg. Unless they change the rules, Crystal can't run the offense and then pass to herself in the high post.
  • Crystal continues to do a little bit of everything. She needs more help.
  • Anna: 10 pts & 6 turnovers and a bad foul with 10 seconds left. I don't know quite what to make of her game right now?
  • It doesn’t feel like it, but the Huskies are 15-1.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is there a crisis of confidence? The team played some ugly games in early to mid November but seemed to progress steadily after that. Is this a mental fallout from the late collapse against Baylor?

Reaction Score
especially with the talents they have

Exactly. They don’t have long to figure it out. Oregon and SC (and possibly TN) are going to destroy this team If this is the offense they put out.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I am not a coach, but it seems to me that in the second half, the refs took the game over, whether or not you agreed with the calls or not, neither team could get their stuff together and the coaches just couldn't do anything to correct the play.
I also found it odd that the camera caught Coach Abe "talking" to the gray haired ref and within seconds he called that really bizarre "swinging elbow" on Liv near halfcourt.
The refs definitely had an impact on this game.

Reaction Score
Such an increasing departure from our teams of the recent past - and it isn't improving as the season progresses in my eyes.

Really lacking foot speed and offensive stamina.

Any injury or foul trouble runs us dangerously low on people who can play the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As hoopsfan commented in the chatroom, this is the 2nd AAC Conference win by less than 10 points. Before this season, that had happened only once in UConn's 6 years in the league, 63-60 at Tulane 2-3 years ago.
BTW, UCF out scored UConn in the 4th qtr by 7 points (25-18). Should this be cause for concern? :eek:

Final score: 59-52. Houston, do we have a problem? Query - Has Aubrey hit that freshman wall? Tis the season. This is about the time of the year when freshmen hit that wall, mid January.

Tonight's box score vs UCF

1579224245095.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm resigning myself to this being a "rebuilding year". You dont lose 2 of the best players (& leaders!) in WCBB and expect things to be close to the same as last year. We've seen the same bad "patterns" game after game. Its a big enough sample now to say this is who we are.

Reaction Score
I am constantly worry our team's lack of depth. If one of the core four is not playing well we will be in trouble. Today is CW. Fortunately Anna scored 10 pts but she has 6 TOs. Geno should teach her not to travel ....

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I am constantly worry our team's lack of depth. If one of the core four is not playing well we will be in trouble. Today is CW. Fortunately Anna scored 10 pts but she has 6 TOs. Geno should teach her not to travel ....
I agree with you about Anna's traveling issues but tonight it was spreading.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
1. I think Anna and Aubrey need instruction and options on what to do when the manage
to drive into the paint or up the line....because the one thing they're definitely not trying to do is score.

2. Did anyone notice (last week?) that the instant Megan And Liv, were put on the Watch list, their games went into the toilet.

it's too bad that the committee doesn't have a mechanism to remove the unworthy with great fanfare.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
As hoopsfan commented in the chatroom, this is the 2nd AAC Conference win by less than 10 points. Should this be cause for concern? :eek:

59-52 Houston, do we have a problem? Query - Has Aubrey hit that freshman wall? Tis the season. This is about the time of the year when freshmen hit that wall, mid January.

Tonight's box score vs UCF

View attachment 49996
Sorry but I will take a 1 point win night after night. Now in regards to my heart health...not so sure.

Reaction Score
especially with the talents they have
Very hard to watch this game. Stagnant offense. They look lethargic, not great ball movement. Hard to believe this is the same team that went toe to toe with Baylor for 3 quarters. This is the second stinker in a row. If they keep this up some low to medium seed team in the tourney is going to kick their ass. Irwin as a starter is not the answer. They are not playing as a cohesive offensive unit.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I also wonder why she is the designated inbounder.
And at the moment I can't remember who does it when she is not on the court.

Reaction Score
Today's refs: Tom Danaher, Ed Sidlasky, Fatou Cissoko-Stephens
I am not one to criticize officials, but tonight's refs were totally out of sync. They let everything go in the 1st half & then called phantoms fouls/violations in the 2nd half. They contributed to an uneven, lethargic pace that is hard to watch.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom