UCF Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
My take on last nights game was mostly positive. Accepting this team is a work in progress, I saw Makurat assert herself a bit more, a drive or two, at least one pull-up. Williams got good shots but missed; my feeling from afar is, maybe for the first time in her life she just has lost confidence. Shooting her way out is the only solution. I agree with, I think it was Husky Nan, who posted that this team needs to “just play”. Stop thinking and just play, that’s when the team will get gack an even rhythm and stop playing too slow - holding on to the ball too long, or too fast - walking or throwing a pass that is just not there.
I saw some fight for lose balls better last night, some players start to get on the floor. I know a somewhat popular mantra is to reiterate how highly these players were ranked, well lofty rankings in high school maybe mean that “dirty work” was not necessarily part of your responsibility at that level, it is now.
Against a borderline dirty, certainly very physical team, I thought Ono rebounded well, and more telling, I thought she went and “got” some with determination as opposed to just “height” rebounds.
Finally, just terrific defense, especially in the middle two quarters. Ono and Walker need to protect those fouls like gold though, because a cheap one or two and a phantom call or two changed the complexion of that game in the 4th quarter.
As for the refereeing, relatively new to the women‘s but frankly, it is just consistently horrible.

Reaction Score
Meg Culmo nailed it all night. She did a great job keeping her cool as well.
..Concerning Aubrey, for a kid that can dunk, she barely jumps when she shoots. Otherwise, she wouldn’t get her shot blocked hardly ever. Perhaps she’ll figure it out. She still looks like a “new calf” out there. I mean that in a very good way. A bit gangley, but with much athetic potential. As she grows older, she will change, be stronger and more confident and asertive.
..had to be the worst officiated game in the women‘s season by far. I believe they get caught up in the type of environment UCF creates.

Reaction Score
I agree but can anyone remember the last time a UConn team held teams to less than 5 points scored in a quarter in 2 out of 3 games in a row? Held Houston to 2 and (I think) UCF to 3. Just putting it out here....
It happened atleast two different times last year:
1/16 - Tulane 4 pts, 1/23 -SMU 4 pts
2/17 - UCF 4 pts, 2/20 - Memphis 3 pts

Reaction Score
I do not know what to say. Garbage in and garbage out. The games seem to get worse as the season progresses. Good thing that they are in the AAC cause the Big East is going to play them tougher.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not know what to say. Garbage in and garbage out. The games seem to get worse as the season progresses. Good thing that they are in the AAC cause the Big East is going to play them tougher.

With the added maturity, depth and talent we will have next year, I would not give the BE a second thought

Reaction Score
The team I’ve rooted for 25 years won those bandwagon jumpers mayb you feel it’s time to jump off

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Some of them were bogus it seemed... just like some of Walker’s were. Just some really shaky calls. And not a single moving screen called, and UCF committed one every time they set up.
UCF fouled with regularity. Much of our offensive movement was cut off by UCF's hard hips, forearms, and knees. I think after 4 games in 7 days no one really wanted to fight their way in.

Megan is a junior and she had five. That is 11 in the last two games. Don't leave her out.
Megan will not pass to Anna or Kyla. I saw two of Meg's turnovers were caused when Anna was begging for the ball open in the corner and Megan tried to force the ball to CD. It's been going on all season. She will also take a contested shot before passing to an open Kyla or Anna.

I try to make it a point not to criticize officials having been involved in umpiring myself but this game, for future reference, will be know as "The Night Of The Phantom Fouls".
with 9 turnovers in 5 minutes (5 by UConn and 4 by UCF), the officiating was definitely out of control. They let the game get out of control by allowing all the hard contact and extraneous pushing go on early. Once again we see WBB officiating no up to the standards of the WBB game.

As I said in my OP, the key is the high post.
Right on, as Meg C. pointed out all night, there was no one (but CD) going to the foul line area. It takes three players to work the high post. 1 to go into the high post as the passer, 1 to stay low as a dump downn threat, 1 (or 2) to be open wing 3 point threats. Liv was instructed to stay low, but no one was willing to go to the foul line except Kyla who got limited minutes. IMO, Meg should have been the one to go the the line, but I don't think she has a facilitator mindset and she remained on the wing. Perhaps Liv should have been able to go high and make Meg the dump down threat.

I try to make it a point not to criticize officials having been involved in umpiring myself but this game, for future reference, will be know as "The Night Of The Phantom Fouls".
When an official is late with his whistle the play of the game has moved on past the foul. Now they've blown the whistle and 5,000 people, 10 players and 2 coaches want to know why. Phantom fouls are a result of sub standard officiating.

With the added maturity, depth and talent we will have next year, I would not give the BE a second thought
Thank you O Great Voice of Reason!!!!!

Reaction Score
I didn’t see what others did. From my seat in the 20th row, I thought Anna was pretty good tonight. Others were tentative but Anna’s issue was that she was deferring to upper classmen. Chris Daily started screaming across the court at Anna and then Anna started shooting more. Her defense was effective, for the most part. She poked away or slowed the movement of the ball when UCF had it. She’s got great hands on defense and moves her feet well. The travels are a habit she picked up in Europe, I think. She’ll grow out of it.

I was watching body language of the team tonight. It was awful in the first quarter, much better in the second quarter, especially when Wright went to the bench with foul trouble. Third quarter, the Huskies were back to playing tentatively. Not sure what’s going on with the team in that regard

Meg- I wonder if she has a flu or nagging injury. Her movement seems off, like she’s trying to push through pain or something. And she was getting ping-ponged around all night. That she could score 19 points while being constantly grabbed and held (one blatant off the ball takedown, too :mad: ) is impressive.

Crystal was great in the first half but her play tailed off a bit, probably because she was tired from face-guarding Wright all night. A heroic effort on her part.

Honestly this game was an improvement over Memphis. UCF is a better team and there were spells where things looked just fine, on offense and defense. This effort still isn’t what the team will need in March, but it’s a step forward
Two questions for those at game:
-Anna appeared to be wide open numerous times and didn't get a pass. Any thoughts why?
-Was Geno's body language on the bench as horrendous as it appeared on TV? Constant negative expressions, yelling, etc. Yes, I know team played poorly, he is a HOF coach, etc. but negative motivation does not work for all and seems counterproductive with this team.

Reaction Score
After watching the six underclassmen play tonight, why would you ever predict a return to dominance? Freshmen don’t dominate; even Taurasi couldn’t do that.
Im surprised at your response, you rarely say anything that I don’t agree with. I’m surprised you can’t see it. Imagine how much better our big three will be next year. Then think about who we have coming in. I expect at least two of those freshmen will be of starter quality. Aubrey and Anna will take a step forward also.Then we have the Westbrook joining us also. Now, next year will be fun. This year is in my opinion teaching our big three how to fight and handle adversity while becoming more experienced seasoned players. This way they will properly lead our youngsters when things get tough next year. I think we get it next year. Dangerfield leaves without a title, Walker does not.

Reaction Score
Aubrey - and I’m a big fan - had a bad night. She ran around aimlessly on both offense and defense and tried to force up a shot when surrounded by defenders. I didn’t see a compelling reason to leave her on the court and “learning how to play” is not a good reason

The knock on AG is that she "doesn't know the offense." But watching this team the past two games (and in some other games as well), it doesn't appear that the starters themselves "know the offense." Lots and lots of standing around. One of the hallmarks of Coach Geno teams is lots and lots of movement: cutting to the basket, hustling in transition, and fast break after fast break. But not this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
:confused:
The knock on AG is that she "doesn't know the offense." But watching this team the past two games (and in some other games as well), it doesn't appear that the starters themselves "know the offense." Lots and lots of standing around. One of the hallmarks of Coach Geno teams is lots and lots of movement: cutting to the basket, hustling in transition, and fast break after fast break. But not this year.

Geno in the half time on court interview basically says he does not understand why the team is struggling so much offensively. :confused:

Reaction Score
Two questions for those at game:
-Anna appeared to be wide open numerous times and didn't get a pass. Any thoughts why?
-Was Geno's body language on the bench as horrendous as it appeared on TV? Constant negative expressions, yelling, etc. Yes, I know team played poorly, he is a HOF coach, etc. but negative motivation does not work for all and seems counterproductive with this team.
One thing that appears to be a constant with Auriemma is transparency; while I thought last night was better and posted so, how many people have commented this season on the lack of hustle and focus? If we notice, sure as heck the coaches are suffering because fixes become that much harder if you need to motivate effort. Personally, if I were a player on this team I would be soul searching rather than worrying about the coaches body language. Frankly, this team certainly has talent but very much lacks chemistry.

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to win any games against top teams this year they will probably be close games and they will need to hit free throws. In the last 3 games Ono is 4 of 12 and Aubrey is 1 of 5. Maybe Geno should leave the gym open late for some extra practice shooting foul shots,

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
4 games in 7 days peole. That explains the lethargy and being in a rut.

And what was with those shorts?
Agree. Not sure why players would want to look like they are wearing diapers.

Reaction Score
After watching the six underclassmen play tonight, why would you ever predict a return to dominance? Freshmen don’t dominate; even Taurasi couldn’t do that.

Paige Bueckers will dominate from the first moment she steps on the court....................she will be a freshman in name only as she could have played major minutes for UConn two years ago......................can't speak for the rest of the newbies..............Westbrook while certainly not a freshman will certainly add elite scoring and athleticism adding to next year's hopeful improvement..............

Reaction Score
Next year will be a very different team I think. It is tough to say how this teams season will end. Based on the season so far, realistically? I would not be surprised to see UConn knocked out in 2nd or third round. It is just not there this year. Hope to God I am wrong and Geno pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Reaction Score

This is a weird spot for it, but would the projected starting lineup for UCONN next year be:

Bueckers
Westbrook
Williams (edit)
Walker
Nelson-Ododa?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a weird spot for it, but would the projected starting lineup for UCONN next year be:

Bueckers
Westbrook
Thomas
Walker
Nelson-Ododa?
Not sure who Thomas is (Williams?), but otherwise, I think you may have it correct.

Reaction Score
Not sure who Thomas is (Williams?), but otherwise, I think you may have it correct.

Yeah, Williams. Brain mixing her up with someone I know.

I'm looking forward to seeing Buecker.

I'd think that the ideal role for her as a freshman would be the one she filled with that loaded National Team (she stood out to me as a perfect complimentary piece) but seems like she's got the talent to do more than that.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I agree with the fast break observation. While watching the last few games, once we get up on a team, I keep waiting for the team to shift gears and get the fast break game going and push the lead to a 20 or 30 points. But alas, it hasn't happened. I have no clue why because we've played pretty good defense but without the offensive benefits of it. But we won!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Lots and lots of interesting theories; this is a terrif board; serious consideration of the issues
Give yourselves a pat on the back.

I watched (off and on) about half the game...and noted the faults (all) mentioned.
Exhaustion may be playing a role, flu as well...I have it as we speak.
Amazing how many normal, makable shots, Chistyn missed...almost a like a Laurel and Hardy movie...with lid on top.

I especially admire the analysis of posters who have noted possible personality or trust issues within the team...that could also be a reason for the apparent lack of hustle

i'm afraid I have little more to add...just one word of advice....If the game in orange land goes badly
I hope the subdued analysis continues and I believe that it will. They're not so skilled but they hustle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom