U17 World Cup | The Boneyard

U17 World Cup

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The World Cup is now underway.

UConn has five known POI on the roster:

Jaloni Cambridge, Madison Booker, Morgan Cheli, Mackenly Randolph, and Kennedy Umeh

US vs Mali began around 2 PM eastern.

Thanks for posting this link Sluconn.

Reaction Score
Missed the 1st half, was able to see the 2nd. A few things I saw:
Officials were useless. Mali allowed to hack all over the court and all they called was traveling and out of bounds.
Surprised to see Williams getting beat on the perimeter by leaving her feet and waving her arms while the kid goes by, sloppy ballhandling, and airballing an open 3.
Agara can't throw it in the ocean.
Nice Hollywood layup miss by Donovan.
Other than Booker, Cunningham and the small guards, most of the defensive fundamentals are lousy.
Positives:
Cheli is a ballplayer, Stanford probably getting a good one.
Booker is solid and can really pass the ball and play D.
Cambridge is going to be a really good PG. She's got it between the ears.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not a very good showing. 27 turnovers vs Mali. First game jitters no doubt which one would hope to be gone after the 1st quarter. Not the case today.

Cheli looks really good. Not spectacular but solid at just about everything and intelligent player.

Booker and Randolph also looked very good. Her stats may not show it but Mikayla Williams looked like she'll ultimately be the best player on the team.

Hard to imagine KK sans concussion would not have made the team ahead of Hidalgo, at least based on today's performance.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A couple other games of note.

Canada lost to Spain 60-57. Not sure if Prosper is a UConn POI or not but she looked just okay today. Stats (14/12) look more impressive than she actually played. A bit too passive. Canada will need her to be more aggressive on offense. Had a number of steals.

Germany handled New Zealand 68-35. There's been some mention of Annika Soltau (6-4) on this board (Morgan follows on social media). She's a long, aggressive player for Germany. Needs to get stronger and work on finishing. She's one of those rare 6-4 players who can rebound on one end and take the ball the length of the court and score.

Reaction Score
A couple other games of note.

Canada lost to Spain 60-57. Not sure if Prosper is a UConn POI or not but she looked just okay today. Stats (14/12) look more impressive than she actually played. A bit too passive. Canada will need her to be more aggressive on offense. Had a number of steals.

Germany handled New Zealand 68-35. There's been some mention of Annika Soltau (6-4) on this board (Morgan follows on social media). She's a long, aggressive player for Germany. Needs to get stronger and work on finishing. She's one of those rare 6-4 players who can rebound on one end and take the ball the length of the court and score.
The "big" to watch, imo, is the center from France. Here's what I posted on the non UConn board:
"France has a 6'6" center (Dominique Malonga) who is VERY impressive.
Slim but not weak, athletic enough to guard players effectively away from the basket. Good looking form (and results) on her mid range shot.
Would be a definite player of interest for UConn, but I doubt that she'll go to an American college. Looks like the type of player that will play professionally at an early age."
You can watch the replay of her game vs Argentina on YouTube here:

Reaction Score
Thoughts on USA & Canada:

USA:
Wow. The TOs. I know Hidalgo is a person of interest for ND, but wow. It looked like she had nerves. Randolph really surprised the hell out of me. She was the best player for USA today. Donovan did alright. Let’s hope they recover tomorrow and stay low on the TOs.

Canada:
Shocked they lost to be honest. Prosper started off hella slow, but every time she drove in the lane, she was on the attack. Fournier is really good. She was the only bright spot for Canada today.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If this team continues its play they're going to have real problems. All of the guards are shoot first guards. None of them have a real concept of how to position themselves to find an open forward on the block or an open wing on the perimeter, and Hildago was most egregious in this area. There is no excuse for Cunningham to have only 5 shots for the game and Kennedy Umeh having to settle for 2 from the arc. No one seems to be particularly good outside shooters, either when their feet are set or with their pull ups. Did anyone show an even decent jab step or pull up off the dribble? Did anyone consistently set any good screens? The guards are all good ball handlers, but none are great ball handlers, none have particularly great court vision...and those TO's! @BobbyJ complained about their defensive fundamentals, but I would argue that their offensive fundamentals are just as poor. There was nothing that screamed team play.

But yes, their fundamentals on defense was clearly lacking. Poor boxing out, combined with poor switching. Rarely did I see players with their hands up, and both forwards and guards were consistently beaten off the dribble. Some players, while not exactly jumping off the screen, were "I see you" worthy. Randolph played smart, hustled, and used her size and used good footwork inside. Williams used her athleticism well as did Donovan. But where was Watkins, Donovan and Cambridge offensively? Booker though worked hard on the boards.

The last U17 team from 2018 would have torched this team. That was a team that crushed what appeared to be a better Mali team 92-39. That USA team was faster, more athletic, stronger, more educated inside, better shooters outside, was unselfish, and well, had Boston, Paige, Azzi, Horston, and Haley Jones. Not to mention that bench of Van Lith, Brink and Belibi. Tough not to get spoiled watching that crew. I had hoped that team would begin a trend of unselfish, highly skilled players.

Reaction Score
If this team continues its play they're going to have real problems. All of the guards are shoot first guards. None of them have a real concept of how to position themselves to find an open forward on the block or an open wing on the perimeter, and Hildago was most egregious in this area. There is no excuse for Cunningham to have only 5 shots for the game and Kennedy Umeh having to settle for 2 from the arc. No one seems to be particularly good outside shooters, either when their feet are set or with their pull ups. Did anyone show an even decent jab step or pull up off the dribble? Did anyone consistently set any good screens? The guards are all good ball handlers, but none are great ball handlers, none have particularly great court vision...and those TO's! @BobbyJ complained about their defensive fundamentals, but I would argue that their offensive fundamentals are just as poor. There was nothing that screamed team play.

But yes, their fundamentals on defense was clearly lacking. Poor boxing out, combined with poor switching. Rarely did I see players with their hands up, and both forwards and guards were consistently beaten off the dribble. Some players, while not exactly jumping off the screen, were "I see you" worthy. Randolph played smart, hustled, and used her size and used good footwork inside. Williams used her athleticism well as did Donovan. But where was Watkins, Donovan and Cambridge offensively? Booker though worked hard on the boards.

The last U17 team from 2018 would have torched this team. That was a team that crushed what appeared to be a better Mali team 92-39. That USA team was faster, more athletic, stronger, more educated inside, better shooters outside, was unselfish, and well, had Boston, Paige, Azzi, Horston, and Haley Jones. Not to mention that bench of Van Lith, Brink and Belibi. Tough not to get spoiled watching that crew. I had hoped that team would begin a trend of unselfish, highly skilled players.
I agree on the offensive fundamentals. A lot of these kids coming up are practicing and trying to pull off the Kyrie/Curry highlights and their HS and AAU coaches let them play that way. They don’t know what to do when the defense doesn’t back off and let them do their routine. Mali’s athleticism and constant reaching and hacking gummed them up and exposed their 1 on 1 tendencies. And you’re right, the shooting is terrible. Makes you appreciate Shade and Arnold all the more for their vision and fundamentals.

JordyG

Reaction Score
UConn should go all out on recruiting Randolph.
Her fathers game was similar. Smart, physical, and fundamentally sound. He couldn't jump off a curb, but that didn't stop him from be a rebounding beast. He was also one intimidating sonofa.

Reaction Score
Her fathers game was similar. Smart, physical, and fundamentally sound. He couldn't jump off a curb, but that didn't stop him from be a rebounding beast. He was also one intimidating sonofa.
I hate comparisons but I’m getting a Morgan Tuck vibe with Randolph. I believe she will have a stellar college career.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
In the Canada vs Spain game, that Spain won 70-67, each team had 24 turnovers.

The player I like on Spain, pg #4 Iyana Martin, had 12 points on 6/9 shooting, 8 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 steals.

She probably goes to UCF and coach Fernandez. He finds a way to get these Euro girls.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

KK would have filled that bill.

JordyG

Reaction Score
@JordyG loving your avatar!
Thanks. That show mesmerizes me. I'm also in love with "The Man Who Fell To Earth", so it was a tough choice. I ultimately went with reverse ageism.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

But if we’re being honest, that 2018 U17 team was likely one of the best U17 teams ever assorted. It’s rare to have that level of skill on an ENTIRE team in players so young.

That 2018 U17 team looked like college kids playing middle schoolers. You just KNEW all of them were going to make an impact in college, and they have.

JordyG

Reaction Score
But if we’re being honest, that 2018 U17 team was likely one of the best U17 teams ever assorted. It’s rare to have that level of skill on an ENTIRE team in players so young.

That 2018 U17 team looked like college kids playing middle schoolers. You just KNEW all of them were going to make an impact in college, and they have.
Agreed. But I will also argue that the 2016 U17 team with Henny, Liv, Christyn, Charli Collier, Sedona Prince and Janell Bailey was better than this team, and that team lost to Australia in the semi-finals.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was watching warmups. Williams was limping, did she get injured?

The team defense is something...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom