U17 World Cup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U17 World Cup

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jada Williams who was a star on the U16 team has been a non-factor and Mikaylah Williams has really struggled as well. Judea Watkins still fills the stat sheet but she's 10-35 from the field so far.

Cambridge and Booker with really good games today.
Booker is a really really dynamic passer!

Annika Soltau the 6'4" german who @UConnCat mentioned showed some nice flashes and will need to bulk up and diversify her game. Annika blocked 5 shots but 11 of her 15 FGA were from deep.

@rvwsleep mentioned M. Williams and Watkins struggling and I think I know why. Both are essentially lead guards and each needs the ball to be effective. It will be interesting to see where Watkins ends up but I don't think it will be UCLA because UCLA has a ton of lead type guards already such as Kiki Rice and another coming in Jada Williams. Mikayla Williams will not have this same problem at LSU because Kim will definitely put the ball in her hands the same way she did for Odyssey.

Among the remaining uncommitted players IMO it is Booker or nobody for UCONN for a variety of reasons:
Cambridge is duplicative of KK and the two would overlap for 3 years​
Randolph is undersized and under-skilled compared to Strong​
Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​
Booker- She is going to be an impact player where ever she goes unless she goes to TN, where she will become the Jordan Horston of this class. She might as well come to UCONN.​
Watkins- Ball dominant game not a good fit for UCONN style of play.​
Agara- Ahhh.....ok if we have to but I don't see her impacting a UCONN roster until maybe her senior year.​
Donovan- UCONN has Qadence who displays a similar level of elite athleticism and appears to be a better perimeter shooter.​
Cheli- nice players but she is growing up in Stanford's backyard and there are plenty of comparable players at that big guard/SF spot in this class such as (Olivia Olson, Joyce Edwards, Toby Fournier and Kennedy Smith) just to name 4.​
Umeh-I don't believe UCONN has been involved in recruiting her thus far and she has not show anything in this tournament or elsewhere for UCONN to start.​

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Annika Soltau the 6'4" german who @UConnCat mentioned showed some nice flashes and will need to bulk up and diversify her game. Annika blocked 5 shots but 11 of her 15 FGA were from deep.

@rvwsleep mentioned M. Williams and Watkins struggling and I think I know why. Both are essentially lead guards and each needs the ball to be effective. It will be interesting to see where Watkins ends up but I don't think it will be UCLA because UCLA has a ton of lead type guards already such as Kiki Rice and another coming in Jada Williams. Mikayla Williams will not have this same problem at Baylor because Kim will definitely put the ball in her hands the same way she did for Odyssey.

Among the remaining uncommitted players IMO it is Booker or nobody IMO for UCONN for a variety of reasons.
Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​
Booker- She is going to be an impact player where ever she goes unless she goes to TN, where she will become the Jordan Horston of this class. She might as well come to UCONN.​
Agara- Ahhh.....ok if we have to but I don't see her impacting a UCONN roster until maybe her senior year.​
Donovan- UCONN has Qadence who displays a similar level of elite athleticism and appears to be a better perimeter shooter.​
Cheli- nice players but she is growing up in Stanford's backyard and there are plenty of comparable players at that big guard/SF spot in this class such as (Olivia Olson, Joyce Edwards, Toby Fournier and Kennedy Smith) just to name 4.​
Umeh-I don't believe UCONN has been involved in recruiting her thus far and she has not show anything in this tournament or elsewhere for UCONN to start.​

In a nutshell.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Williams will not have this same problem at Baylor because Kim will definitely put the ball in her hands the same way she did for Odyssey.
AlarmingBlandBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

Overall I tend to agree with your entire assessment on the team.

Its been weird to see such shooting numbers from those two but I never thought about it that way.

I am really enjoying Cambridge play. She will be a nice one.

Reaction Score

@rvwsleep mentioned M. Williams and Watkins struggling and I think I know why. Both are essentially lead guards and each needs the ball to be effective. It will be interesting to see where Watkins ends up but I don't think it will be UCLA because UCLA has a ton of lead type guards already such as Kiki Rice and another coming in Jada Williams. Mikayla Williams will not have this same problem at LSU because Kim will definitely put the ball in her hands the same way she did for Odyssey.

Among the remaining uncommitted players IMO it is Booker or nobody for UCONN for a variety of reasons:
Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​

100% on those 2. Catch and shoot and how to create rhythm in your shot without handling the ball is a learned skill. Doesn't look like they've worked at it much. Williams way overdoes the step back thing.

Reaction Score
Word on the street is the portal champs will be getting Booker and Del Rosario. Let them tell it. Booker has been there multiple times.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​

This really belongs in the recruiting thread, but UConn is recruiting other PG's from '24 as well like Imari Berry and Britt Prince, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Cambridge just because of KK Arnold.

UConn started following Kennedy Umeh recently so there is definite interest there.

Reaction Score
This has absolutely nothing to do with the price of beans, but for some reason the FIBA people have added an "h" on the end of Kennedy Ume's name. She spells it "Ume." No biggie. Oddly enough, they have the "h" on the end of her name on her uniform.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This has absolutely nothing to do with the price of beans, but for some reason the FIBA people have added an "h" on the end of Kennedy Ume's name. She spells it "Ume." No biggie. Oddly enough, they have the "h" on the end of her name on her uniform.
FIBA is not at fault here, it is USA basketball that is responsible for both her uniform and the official roster.

Are you sure she doesn't spell it Umeh? Her AAU team the Maryland Belles also has her listed as Umeh and list her parents name as well.

Reaction Score
FIBA is not at fault here, it is USA basketball that is responsible for both her uniform and the official roster.

Are you sure she doesn't spell it Umeh? Her AAU team the Maryland Belles also has her listed as Umeh and list her parents name as well.
No, she spells it without the H. That's her twitter I posted above. But, you're right it's not FIBA's fault. On her twitter, there is a happy birthday wish from her mom. Her mom has the H on the end of the name. There is also one from her dad, who does not have the H. Even weirder, the mom with the H mentions daughter and husband by name in the tweet...both without the H. I don't have a clue what's going on, but they seem like a fun family.

Reaction Score

Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​

I think Donovan is in a class by herself athletically at the wing position. Don’t disagree about the shooting chops, though.

Reaction Score
Also, Umeh is easily the youngest player on this U.S. team. To go from being a good (not great) HS player last year in Baltimore to making the national team speaks volumes about her development this summer. There's a reason Dawn Staley offered her.

Reaction Score

Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​

Agara committed to Stanford.

Reaction Score
USA 114 - Korea 29
Not much to critique about this game, it was a total mismatch. Only stat that jumped out at me was that Korea had one player who played all 40 minutes. Needless to say her +/- score was -85.

Reaction Score

Hidalgo- UCONN has KK​

Curious if you think Qadence signing means anything regarding Uconn's pursuit of Booker. My initial reaction to Q's signing was glad to get her, but at the same time thinking it might mean our odds with Booker were slipping, and that Q might have been plan B. Similar size, both pretty athletic, both considered good defenders, maybe Q a better outside shooter, I don't know, but Booker with a big edge on passing.

In some ways to use a male comparison type, Booker reminds me of a Scottie Pippin like point small forward.

Reaction Score
Curious if you think Qadence signing means anything regarding Uconn's pursuit of Booker. My initial reaction to Q's signing was glad to get her, but at the same time thinking it might mean our odds with Booker were slipping, and that Q might have been plan B. Similar size, both pretty athletic, both considered good defenders, maybe Q a better outside shooter, I don't know, but Booker with a big edge on passing.

In some ways to use a male comparison type, Booker reminds me of a Scottie Pippin like point small forward.
I believe your scenario is just how it's played out. I've thought for quite awhile that Booker was staying south and once Auriemma realized it, he went to his next option. Besides her vision and excellent passing, Booker will be a defensive wild card able to guard at least two and possibly three positions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it definitely means "something" but I'm not so sure what it means.
UCONN has room on the roster for both Qadence and Madison IMO because their skills are rather complementary as you have correctly described. I can easily dismiss the Booker to TN visits because we were led to believe the same thing about Ashlynn Shade's multiple visit there which turned out to be insignificant. What may be harder to ignore is that UCONN was relatively late (started in May 2022) in expressing interest in Qadance as documented in a recent article.
BTW I really like the Booker/Pippin analogy not just as a point forward but also for their defensive versatility like being able to expertly lock down PGs, PFs and any position in between.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
With the group stage out of the way, here are the brackets.

• Australia vs. Spain on Friday at 12:30
  • France vs. Germany on Friday at 15:00
  • Canada vs. Hungary on Friday at 17.30
  • U.S. vs. Japan on Friday at 20.00

Canada seems to have gotten on track since the opening day loss to Spain. Can they overcome the home towners?

Reaction Score
With the group stage out of the way, here are the brackets.

• Australia vs. Spain on Friday at 12:30
  • France vs. Germany on Friday at 15:00
  • Canada vs. Hungary on Friday at 17.30
  • U.S. vs. Japan on Friday at 20.00

Canada seems to have gotten on track since the opening day loss to Spain. Can they overcome the home towners?
Those are local times in Hungary [GMT +2]; EDT subtract 6 hours; CDT[EST] subtract 7 h; MDT{CST] subtract 8 h; PDT[MST} subtract 9 h.
Therefore, Canada vs. Hungary is on in 10-ish minutes; and US vs. Japan in 2 h 40 mins....

Reaction Score
USA 112 - 38 final
M. Williams still looking for her shot (3 of 9 in fg's)
J. Williams did not play. Don't know why.
Watkins definitely found her shot (25 points, 10 of 15 in fga, 5 of 7 from 3)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Great game for Cambridge too: 15 points on 7 shots, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 0 TO's

Cheli had 6 steals in 20 minutes.

Boxscore vs Japan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom