U17 World Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 World Cup

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
12-12 at the end of the first. So far my only reaction is that I've seen a number of better high school games than this...

Reaction Score
So far my only reaction is that I've seen a number of better high school games than this...
The summer tournaments going on right now are better than this :)

Its quite bizarre that no one can throw the ball into the ocean on these wide open shots. Its a group of individuals, no team. There is ZERO rhythm at all

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I expected much better showings so far from M. Williams and Watkins.. but so far the most impressive guards to me have been the smaller guards Cambridge and J. Williams.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The US offense theoretically should come from Watkins, Williams, and Cunningham. They've finally gotten the ball into the latter, but the other two are really struggling to make shots.

Reaction Score
The US offense theoretically should come from Watkins, Williams, and Cunningham. They've finally gotten the ball into the latter, but the other two are really struggling to make shots.
Watkins shot is off it seems but she is playing better right now. Cunningham is dominant, none of these teams have a presence inside that can match up with her strength. Best performer so far out of everyone.

Williams biggest issue (offensively) is she is taking a bunch of off balance shots while falling away. Rarely have I seen her in this tournament actually step into her shot and square up. She would be way more efficient if she did so. Its fine and all to do that to create your own shot or make something happen when nothing is available but off balanced shots aren't' very high percentage.

Having watched Watkins and Williams a bunch over this past year, some of this seems very uncharacteristic in terms of what I am seeing. Much better players than what is being shown. Not sure if its nerve or what it is but they just need to relax and let the game come to them.

Arizona got a steal with Cunningham. She is going to be a terror in college.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Watkins shot is off it seems but she is playing better right now. Cunningham is dominant, none of these teams have a presence inside that can match up with her strength. Best performer so far out of everyone.

Williams biggest issue (offensively) is she is taking a bunch of off balance shots while falling away. Rarely have I seen her in this tournament actually step into her shot and square up. She would be way more efficient if she did so. Its fine and all to do that to create your own shot or make something happen when nothing is available but off balanced shots aren't' very high percentage.
First off, love Williams.. but yes I definitely noticed that as well. There was a specific moment in this game during the 2nd quarter where the ball was passed to her on the three point line and she actually stepped in (like she was going to make a drive) but then decided to do a step back instead. So she actually closed the gap and gave her defender a chance. Missed shot. Had she just taken the 3 point shot earlier instead when the defender was basically in the paint it likely would've been a made basket. Long story short, I chalk a lot of this up to youth and inexperience.

Reaction Score
First off, love Williams.. but yes I definitely noticed that as well. There was a specific moment in this game during the 2nd quarter where the ball was passed to her on the three point line and she actually stepped in (like she was going to make a drive) but then decided to do a step back instead. So she actually closed the gap and gave her defender a chance. Missed shot. Had she just taken the 3 point shot earlier instead when the defender was basically in the paint it likely would've been a made basket. Long story short, I chalk a lot of this up to youth and inexperience.
All these young ladies are extremely talented, they wouldn't be here if they weren't. I try not to over analyze things either, its been rough for many but I do know all are much better than what we see. A lot of youth, inexperience, many are probably pressing. Most of these girls have barely played with each other either which is tough for anyone. Unfortunately this team isn't comparable to some of the teams in the past but every team has their own set of challenges. There is talent, just not sure they are cohesive as past teams.

I bet you 100% most of these kids will look much different after getting to college for workouts and things get polished out.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
WHOA THAT ALLEY-OOP FROM DONOVAN TO AGARA (spelling?).

That was impressive.

Reaction Score
US shooting 34%, 1-13 from three but up comfortably. That's what a +30 rebound edge will do for you. Call it the Dawn strategy.
To be fair that won them a natty although I will say it was their defense and rebounding that put them over the top. There are many ways to win one.

Offense, rebounding, defense. Just be spectacular in at least two of those phases and you have a shot to win one.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To be fair that won them a natty although I will say it was their defense and rebounding that put them over the top. There are many ways to win one.

I think the easiest is to annihilate your opponent on the boards. When you have 5 more offensive rebounds than the other team has total rebounds, you aren't losing.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This is what Team USA does time and time again. Run teams ragged with their depth and defensive pressure. Then the rebounding picks up and the fouls collect. The transition game gets going. The opponent has no energy to bang inside or defend the quicker USA guards on the perimeter and the offensive onslaught begins. Hardwood bullies.

And the result is Team USA +50

Reaction Score
Happy to see the team play much much better in the 2nd half.

Some very encouraging performances. Cunningham was good. Hidalgo gave great minutes. Williams seem to finally settle down and play much better towards the end. Watkins is very good, despite the missed shots you see the potential and her talent.

They need Watkins, Williams, and basically all the guards to start knocking down some more 3 balls. Its been very weird how no one has seemed to make any and I know many of them can.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Stanford has some nice players in the pipeline. I really like Sunaja Agara and although Morgan Cheli is uncommitted she’ll likely head that way as well. Cheli hails from the Bay Area and the same high school as current Cardinal Haley Jones.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The US kicked butt in garbage time: 39-8 in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Hidalgo was much better today! They absolutely poured it on in the 4Q! Much better play all-around than yesterday!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Canada defeated Korea 92-58. Fournier with 32 points and 17 rebounds! Of course Korea has no size but that's still impressive.
I've watched Fournier and Prosper games in the late spring and Fournier can get it going in stretches. Your earlier comment about Prosper's numbers sometimes being higher than expected (while watching the game) reminded me of her during said games I watched: sometimes not fully engaged during the flow of the key action, but then swoops in from time to time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
US playing Germany today. Game is in the second half right now (3:10 eastern).

Reaction Score
US 86-40 over Germany.
The US team forced Germany into 39 turnovers !!
M. Williams and Watkins were cold from the floor (2 of 10 and 2 of 9 respectively). Watkins has yet to have a good shooting game. She's 10 of 35, from the field, so far in the tournament.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jada Williams who was a star on the U16 team has been a non-factor and Mikaylah Williams has really struggled as well. Judea Watkins still fills the stat sheet but she's 10-35 from the field so far.

Cambridge and Booker with really good games today.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
22 steals! Did Germany grease their hands with butter before the game? Maybe this group is a more defensively minded bunch than some teams of yore?

One thing's for sure, our nation's youth need to learn how to shoot from outside: our three point shooting so far is at an atrocious 18.2% clip. I haven't been able to watch much of the games but I have to assume defenders are sagging and letting us embarrass ourselves from beyond the arc. That's the third worst outside shooting rate of any team, ahead of only Mali and Mexico, and we have the fewest made threes of any team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom