U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 4 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith and Queen Egbo looked super good at the Baylor camp. Their stock will surely rise. Both are backboard cleaners with incredible athleticism and a nice touch on their shots. Some are saying that Smith may be better than Collier.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith and Queen Egbo looked super good at the Baylor camp. Their stock will surely rise. Both are backboard cleaners with incredible athleticism and a nice touch on their shots. Some are saying that Smith may be better than Collier.
Whatever I think of Mulkey as a coach there is no denying she is one of the best recruiters, if not the best, in the country. She also has one of the best eyes for assessing talent and projecting that talent into the future.

Reaction Score
Whatever I think of Mulkey as a coach there is no denying she is one of the best recruiters, if not the best, in the country. She also has one of the best eyes for assessing talent and projecting that talent into the future.

She sure has been bringing loads of highly ranked players but being in Texas sure is helping her these days...............what percentage of her recent recruits are local?

JordyG

Reaction Score
She sure has been bringing loads of highly ranked players but being in Texas sure is helping her these days.....what percentage of her recent recruits are local?
Agreed. Yet with all the lure of programs like The UConn, ND and The Great Dawn she still consistently gets this great local talent to stay at home. I just can't deny that she's great at that part of the job. Now to those who say "Yeah but she should have won more NC's with Griner", or "What has she won since with all that talent?", or "Her poor coaching strategies, her inability to adapt to changing tactics as the game progresses and her sideline antics frequently work against her" I would also agree.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Yet with all the lure of programs like The UConn, ND and The Great Dawn she still consistently gets this great local talent to stay at home. I just can't deny that she's great at that part of the job. Now to those who say "Yeah but she should have won more NC's with Griner", or "What has she won since with all that talent?", or "Her poor coaching strategies, her inability to adapt to changing tactics as the game progresses and her sideline antics frequently work against her" I would also agree.

She may very well be "normal" in real life but when she hits that court on game day she is one crazy coach, she would scare the heck out of me if I played for her...................of course I bet some of Geno's players have been a bit scared of him too!!!!

JordyG

Reaction Score
She may very well be "normal" in real life but when she hits that court on game day she is one crazy coach, she would scare the heck out of me if I played for her....of course I bet some of Geno's players have been a bit scared of him too!!!!
To me she just acts like a petulant child.

Reaction Score
Mulkey coaches like she played. But, before you give too much credit for recruiting, remember that parents of 17-18 year-olds (girls) often play a big role in their kid's development, and want to be close enough to see their college games. So, even more than the boys game, regional recruitment is more prevalent. That said, we grabbed a treasure trove of local all-americans from NY/NJ/Pa. (Stef, Brianna, Chong, Bird, Charles, AJones, etc.) to go with Ct/Mass. stars (Sales, Lobo, Wolters, etc.) to name just a few. Grabbing national stars like Maya, KML, MoJeff, Samuelson, Shea, Svet(?) is the real recruiting test. That's where UConn and ND distinguish themselves. If Lauren Cox is the next Stewie.. nobody will criticize Mulkey for her next Bobby Knight moment.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mulkey coaches like she played. But, before you give too much credit for recruiting, remember that parents of 17-18 year-olds (girls) often play a big role in their kid's development, and want to be close enough to see their college games. So, even more than the boys game, regional recruitment is more prevalent. That said, we grabbed a treasure trove of local all-americans from NY/NJ/Pa. (Stef, Brianna, Chong, Bird, Charles, AJones, etc.) to go with Ct/Mass. stars (Sales, Lobo, Wolters, etc.) to name just a few. Grabbing national stars like Maya, KML, MoJeff, Samuelson, Shea, Svet(?) is the real recruiting test. That's where UConn and ND distinguish themselves. If Lauren Cox is the next Stewie.. nobody will criticize Mulkey for her next Bobby Knight moment.
Mulkey's " Bobby Knight moment" are as over blown as Dawn's " sour faces", Geno's "salty language" and Tara's "continuous expressionlessness". Unless you get past those things you will never get to the essence of what they all are: Damn good coaches and among the best in their profession.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Yep. Programs like Maryland and Duke do a pretty good job of grabbing elite national talent, but nobody does it like UCONN/ND. Tennessee used to. The Huskies and Fighting Irish will come in your backyard and grab the best player from your state/region in decades.. and won't break a sweat doing it.

This is the next step for programs like SC, Ohio State, Louisville and the Texas schools. Some schools don't NEED to recruit nationally as much (Texas schools). Louisville seems to be on the right track. SC has players from outside of our region on roster (NYC, NJ, Mass, Indiana, and Texas) but must do better getting very ELITE (top 15/20ish) talent from outside of the Southeast. SC can move in the right direction by landing 1 or 2 of Westbrook, Carter, Cooks, or perhaps a Littleton/K. Williams from the 2017 class.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But when Megan lists her 4 schools, she mentions UConn second. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member