U Tenn self-reports 10 violations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U Tenn self-reports 10 violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Miss State's football program self-reported secondary violations based on its strategic placement of billboards for recruiting purposes. It isn't clear whether Miss State heard from the NCAA on the billboards (Miss State says no, but that it self-reported a violation of the rule cited by JS). I would think that a billboard advertising Louisville women's basketball in Oregon and close to the home of its top recruit would constitute a violation. I'm sure Jeff Walz thought nabbing Russell would be worth a secondary violation and not ever again playing Tennessee during the regular season.

Reaction Score
Louisville put up a billboard to try and get her. Is that a violation?

NO. But the fact that something is legal has never stopped some LV fans from calling it cheating.

Reaction Score
Why would a billboard not be a violation? It is worse for them cause they didn't get her.

It was a generic billboard promoting Lousiville athletics. The scrapbook was made as a personal bribe to Russell.

Reaction Score
Recruiting Advertisements. The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf
of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted . . .

If Louisville placed a billboard in Ms. Russell's faraway Oregon neighborhood (as I recall it was on the road from her house to her high school), I'd agree with stwainfan that it's hard to see how it wasn't a violation.

The billboard wasn't directed at any student or school. It merely promoted Louisville athletics and was deemed perfectly legal.

Reaction Score
If a school went to Adja Wilson's home town and put up a billboard with a picture of her in, say a Tenn uniform, and said please come to Tenn, then it would be a violation. Or if something like a scrapbook was made that was personalized for her, then it would be a violation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It was a generic billboard promoting Lousiville athletics. The scrapbook was made as a personal bribe to Russell.
That was my point. The benefit was promotion to the general public in the form of awareness of the program.

JS

Reaction Score
The billboard wasn't directed at any student or school. It merely promoted Louisville athletics and was deemed perfectly legal.
Deemed by whom? The NCAA? Louisville? Do we know for a fact that Louisville did not (a) get reported or (b) self-report?

As far as it not having been directed at any student, Ms. Russell's family certainly thought it was. Under the circumstances of its placement in Springfield, Ore., it seems preposterous to believe otherwise.

Is there some significant difference between the Miss. St. billboards cited by Cat and Louisville's?

As far as being "a generic billboard promoting Lousiville athletics," the billboard in Springfield, Ore. pictured two Louisville women's basketball players, one of whom was from Oregon.

Let's not confuse this with the separate rule on "personalized recruiting aids." We can all agree that the billboard wasn't that.

Looking back, I see we hashed this over last July and my own thought (not that consistency has ever been a great deterrent in my case, or even an other than accidental possibility) was that perhaps a new rule would be needed to cover it. Then, as now, Cat raised the Miss. St. comparison.

And apologies to those who feel, rightly, that the Tennessee violations thread has been hijacked at the prompting of a TN fan. The flow goes, and where it goes we sho' do go with the flow.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Inserting a country music video into a thread in a Northeastern women's college basketball forum is a major violation. Nothing NCAA, but a major violation nonetheless. :D

Reaction Score
Well well well....perhaps those glass house residents might want to think twice before throwing more stones UConn's way - or anyone else's for that matter.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
point taken, Fairview, but we were discussing Tennessee, and U of L was also included!

'sides which, while I was born in New England, and live in New England, I was reared..'scuse me, I wuz brung up in Kentucky and began married life in Virginia. In the words of the late, great Molly Ivins, I'm "bi-ignorant".

Lastly, for me, almost anything is either a cue for a song, or for a line of movie dialect..., or, often, a line from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon!
mqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
IMO this entire subject isn't about a bunch of secondary violations. Rather it is about a clique of LV fans who, for years, have castigated other programs as being "unethical" and in a couple cases, of outright cheating while putting their own program up on a pedestal as a model recruiting program. It is their good vs evil view that has stuck in my craw. If it's not Maya Moore then it's Diamond DeShields or Kaila Davis, but anytime a recruit goes elsewhere there are charges of tampering and vague, undocumented references to other programs as "unethical".

Nothing in the latest report listing the old Tenn violations is very egregious. But when your own school dances on both sides of the line of legality wrt recruiting you shouldn't be wishing that opposing coaches "burn in Hell" because they do the same.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with Alydar. It's the holier than thou Tennessee fans who have gone on and on, ad nauseum, about how UCONN has to cheat to get kids, and yet they have a whole ton of violations now that are way more in volume than any UCONN has ever perpetrated.

I agree - the violations are totally minor, but if we are UCheat then they are UTrash.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Don't forget holier than thou St Pat who had the courage to accuse but not the courage to prove. In my mind her actions were just as egregious.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't forget holier than thou St Pat who had the courage to accuse but not the courage to prove. In my mind her actions were just as egregious.
Amen.

Reaction Score
Amen.

I don't have any problem sneering at those UTenn fans who have gone on and on ad nauseum. In light of Pat's since-diagnosed disease, however, I'm inclined to give her at least a partial pass. Early in my mother's Alzheimer's, she went through a paranoid phase in which she sounded entirely rational to anyone who did not know her well and completely irrational to anyone who did know her.

In mom's case, it was mostly about blaming a cleaner for objects mom couldn't find (and -- when we found the objects -- claiming the cleaner was sneaking in at night to put them back). She'd never exhibited anything like that before, and it was an early behavioral clue that helped us realize something was wrong, even though she still seemed to be quite normal in all other respects.

I'm not saying this was the case with Pat, but I could see how losing a recruit and not understanding why might have the same kind of impact on her as losing an object and not understanding why would have on someone else. If that was the case, I wish those who knew her the best had picked up on the clue. But it wasn't a case that her assistants could disprove the way we could disprove that the objects had been stolen, so maybe that's asking too much of them. And I'm sure they have been second-guessing themselves a lot -- it ain't fun.

But yeah, those fans who have stoked the fires deserve every sneer they get.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't have any problem sneering at those UTenn fans who have gone on and on ad nauseum. In light of Pat's since-diagnosed disease, however, I'm inclined to give her at least a partial pass. Early in my mother's Alzheimer's, she went through a paranoid phase in which she sounded entirely rational to anyone who did not know her well and completely irrational to anyone who did know her.
Amen to this, too. Pat's actions were completely wrong but indeed there may well have been an underlying cause based in her Alzheimers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom