Tyler Polley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley

Reaction Score
What is the value of playing him when the team is 13-14 on the year, is not going to the tourney, and he is not a part of the program's future beyond 2018? There is nothing to gain by playing him. He will not be the reason this team makes a magical run through the AAC tourney. Let the young guys get minutes so maybe they can develop and we don't see another mass exodus of the program's young core.

And he got 1 rebound and had 3 fouls in 18 minutes. The fouls at least tell me he has a pulse on defense. The 1 rebound does not.
*****Five Star***** Posting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What is the value of playing him when the team is 13-14 on the year, is not going to the tourney, and he is not a part of the program's future beyond 2018? There is nothing to gain by playing him. He will not be the reason this team makes a magical run through the AAC tourney. Let the young guys get minutes so maybe they can develop and we don't see another mass exodus of the program's young core.

If DO was the best big, then, even in the face of all those things, I'd play him. Always play to win. The problem is that he's probably the worst big. It's nonsensical that he gets minutes.

Reaction Score
You think that’s possible? Boneyarders don’t see everything?

Good point. Some things aren't as obvious on TV as in person. We made the 750 mile round-trip to see the Huskies live and there were lots of ups and downs, but Polley was one of the positives. Adams looked like a man out there (except for the first pass of the game), Vital seemed more in control than he has lately and the coach sitting next to us thought Big Dave moved extremely well, very quick for his size, perhaps went too far out of the lane at times, but in general kept their big men out of position and helped the Huskies win this game.

Reaction Score
He's a freshman. He's going to be really good for this team.

Just compare him to other unheralded bigs who have done well and succeeded. Many of them showed us less as freshman.

Gavin Edwards or Hilton Armstrong, etc.
Gavin may be the better company though not as athletic. Hilton was much longer and far more athletic.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If DO was the best big, then, even in the face of all those things, I'd play him. Always play to win. The problem is that he's probably the worst big. It's nonsensical that he gets minutes.
We have a lot of players that bring something to the table, but nobody that brings everything to the table. Onourah brings strength, reasonable timing blocking shots (although not enough length), and 5 fouls inside. The other bigs have less strength, though Cobb is close. Carlton is better offensively, Whaley is longer with even better timing, and both are better rebounders. Cobb doesn't have the lift of Onourah, and is only a marginally better rebounder. None are great on the boards. So he got 18 minutes. I'd rather it were 10, but I'm glad it wasn't 30.

Reaction Score
How does it help to develop players if put out players with weaknesses and the opposing teams exploits them? How does it help Polley to learn D if the other team is just backing down Kwintin or Diarra and abusing them? Is Polley taking a lesson by watching a Russian guy throw hook shot after hook shot? Granted, I found out yesterday that guy had the highest FG% in the league, but still...

Reaction Score
We have a lot of players that bring something to the table, but nobody that brings everything to the table. Onourah brings strength, reasonable timing blocking shots (although not enough length), and 5 fouls inside. The other bigs have less strength, though Cobb is close. Carlton is better offensively, Whaley is longer with even better timing, and both are better rebounders. Cobb doesn't have the lift of Onourah, and is only a marginally better rebounder. None are great on the boards. So he got 18 minutes. I'd rather it were 10, but I'm glad it wasn't 30.
You set a low bar. Carlton is the only big that has shown more than a flash. DO wouldn’t get these minutes on most D1 teams. Whaley initially looked like he’d offer something but has does less the more he plays. MD is a foul machine and is outmatched on D. EC wanted to be a guard but since his suspension who knows. I’d like to see if he would conform to the team game. And KW who shows hustle and effort and rebounding can’t get off the bench. Out of all the things that have got me questioning KO it’s his lineups and substitution patterns that irk me the most. Of that my least fav lineup is the 3 guards Larrier, and Big Dave

Reaction Score
Watching Polley in warm-ups, he was the only guy on the team that consistently made threes. Rarely missed. I'm not surprised it's started to transition towards makes in the game.

Reaction Score
You set a low bar. Carlton is the only big that has shown more than a flash. DO wouldn’t get these minutes on most D1 teams. Whaley initially looked like he’d offer something but has does less the more he plays. MD is a foul machine and is outmatched on D. EC wanted to be a guard but since his suspension who knows. I’d like to see if he would conform to the team game. And KW who shows hustle and effort and rebounding can’t get off the bench. Out of all the things that have got me questioning KO it’s his lineups and substitution patterns that irk me the most. Of that my least fav lineup is the 3 guards Larrier, and Big Dave

Still have faith in Whaley being a guy who will play and impact. He has regressed a bit on the boards no doubt, but his defense can be very good and he can block shots,change them. Has to hoist 1,000 shots a day all summer from the 8-12 foot space as well as back to the basket jump hooks both hands.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He is not very good.

That being said, every other guy gets pushed around out there.

Not fun watching the Russian guy (assume he's Russian) back down our guys for easy hook shots.
Some have said he banged into Carlton and should have been called for foul but I believe there was no Russian collision going on.

Reaction Score
Polley simply weren’t ready, we all watched and deservedly so he sat .. now he’s a lot more comfortable in what we do on the offensive end.. and by him believing in his work ethic, he’s starting to feel he belongs now.. started with the Tulsa game did you see when he hit those 3’s how excited he was taken a lil of cv like celebrations lol... it felt like he got that gigantic monkey off his back..

Happy for the kid & we need him most to step up and be another contributor heading into the tourney

Reaction Score
In another thread recently, I ripped Polley a new one about playing scared even though it’s february and he should be used to D1 basketball by now. Ever since then he’s shot well and looked like he wants to be on the court. Not taking credit but ya know

Reaction Score
There is a certain awkwardness to Polley on the court. He doesn't move particular quickly. But if he keeps shooting 100% he will have to get minutes. He is also a pretty good defender and will get better as he learns the game.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I agree, that lineup is the worst.

Still have faith in Whaley being a guy who will play and impact. He has regressed a bit on the boards no doubt, but his defense can be very good and he can block shots,change them. Has to hoist 1,000 shots a day all summer from the 8-12 foot space as well as back to the basket jump hooks both hands.
This^^^^^

It’s not a low bar, it’s who they are right now. I want them to clear higher hurdles, eventually the highest hurdles. But the potential has to be followed up with the hard work of getting better. Whaley I think has potential, so does Carlton, and Williams has athleticism. All of them can get much better.

I was at a Celtics game early a few weeks ago and one of the Lopez twins (I forget which) was out working on post moves pre-game. For ten minutes he caught the ball in the post, made the same set of feints and moves, ending in a right hand jump hook. Over and over and over. Repetition reduces errors. Carlton and Whaley should be going to the gym together working against each other every day.

Reaction Score
Of all the freshmen, Polley, I think, has suffered the most from KO's style of do-it-yourself coaching. But there is evidence he has survived to become a more mature and confident player. At the moment, the jury is out on him. Is he the 22% 3-point shooter he was for 25 games or is he the deadeye of the last two. We must hope the KO gives him the chance to answer that question. There is no certainty of that, since Anderson is suddenly the starting point of a 3-guard offense that, with Larrier entrenched at the 3, leaves exactly one position open to rotate the young bigs -- and KO has a history of forgetting who is on his bench.

Reaction Score
A point about Polley that applies also to Carlton and Whaley. These are guys we all saw as 4-year players who could be very good by their junior-senior years. The other side of that coin is the admission that they weren't going to be world-beaters in their freshman year. To expect more of them than we've seen, especially under the "tutelage" of a laid-back coach whose coaching philosophy is basically "show me what you got", is simply impatience -- and the frustration of a losing season that was probably inevitable. If you told me that our starting front-line in 2019-20 would be Pollard, Carlton and Whaley as juniors and our backcourt Gilbert/Akinjo and Vital, I would be excited about our prospects.

C

Chief00

I did notice it seemed like Dave was making it hard for them to post up, we might not be noticing how his size may bother the opposing bigs.

Astute point - he may have no game - but the * is tough to move.

C

Chief00

A point about Polley that applies also to Carlton and Whaley. These are guys we all saw as 4-year players who could be very good by their junior-senior years. The other side of that coin is the admission that they weren't going to be world-beaters in their freshman year. To expect more of them than we've seen, especially under the "tutelage" of a laid-back coach whose coaching philosophy is basically "show me what you got", is simply impatience -- and the frustration of a losing season that was probably inevitable. If you told me that our starting front-line in 2019-20 would be Pollard, Carlton and Whaley as juniors and our backcourt Gilbert/Akinjo and Vital, I would be excited about our prospects.
Sleep on Sid and Mathews at your own peril. Also, need more muscle up front,

C

Chief00

Don’t like that lineup either.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Need someone to develop him.
Polley, Carlton and Whalley all seem to have good attitudes (add Kwintin too). Just once I would hope that the program can offer them everything it can in order to help them in the off season to develop their talents so that they come back better, stronger and more confident. Paying the price in the offseason has to be sold. There is just no substitute for hard work along with good skills development. This plus setting an example for the incoming recruits could go along way in reestablishing the Uconn program and the will to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom