Tyler Polley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Marcus Johnson and Kwintin Williams would've made for a Globetrotter-esque combination.

Reaction Score
I like Polly a lot especially for a Freshman. Carlton has legit potential, wish they would run more post plays for him. Kwintin is a end of the bench guy......looks like he has a good attitude and surely has athletic ability but cant see him turning into a player anytime soon.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Starting seems to be the kiss of death for our young. But More Tyler less 3 guard ( @Chief00 I mean small guards) and more KW and EC less DO. But I believe KO promised big Dave minutes if he came here. It’s the only reasonable explanation
Imno I believe you are right on. Why else is DO out there? His next clean rebound will be his first.

Reaction Score
Not that praise from KO means much to fans these days, but Polly got a shot out from the coach - says he's in been in the gym on his own, getting shots up. My only question is why did it take until February to start seeing this type of personal accountability? You can have a HOF coach or a chump HS coach, you as a player still need to put the work in to get better. Freshman especially, should be in the gym on their own from the day they step on campus. I don't care if you can't have a coach there with you, go to the field house if you need to. Plenty of UConn students around that would love to say they were the ball b***h for a husky.

Either way, at least Tyler is putting the work in now, and he's seeing the results. Hope it's a sign of a good next 3 years from him. Now hit the weight room kid.

Reaction Score
Not that praise from KO means much to fans these days, but Polly got a shot out from the coach - says he's in been in the gym on his own, getting shots up. My only question is why did it take until February to start seeing this type of personal accountability? You can have a HOF coach or a chump HS coach, you as a player still need to put the work in to get better. Freshman especially, should be in the gym on their own from the day they step on campus. I don't care if you can't have a coach there with you, go to the field house if you need to. Plenty of UConn students around that would love to say they were the ball b***h for a husky.

Either way, at least Tyler is putting the work in now, and he's seeing the results. Hope it's a sign of a good next 3 years from him. Now hit the weight room kid.
You are assuming he just started putting in the extra time when he’s probably been at it for some time. Tyler doesn’t seem like an alpha so it’s taking time for him to know his role and gain some confidence. However praise from Ollie doesn’t necessarily mean more time on the court as we have seen with KW

Reaction Score
Polly is 8-28 shooting on 2-pointers. 12-29 shooting on three pointers. For a guy who should have a size advantage against many opponent small forwards or third guards this seems a little out of whack and shows where he has to make progress to be a complete player.

Reaction Score
You are assuming he just started putting in the extra time when he’s probably been at it for some time. Tyler doesn’t seem like an alpha so it’s taking time for him to know his role and gain some confidence. However praise from Ollie doesn’t necessarily mean more time on the court as we have seen with KW

True, he could have been in the gym for a good while, but seeing the hard work pay off in games certainly will help his confidence. Unlike KW, I think the whole season KO has wanted to play Polly more, indicated by his starting the first handful of games. But he wasn't getting "it". I'm just happy that by the end of year 1, we may start seeing the Tyler Polly we recruited, (however that's also leading into an unknown situation next year). And I would LOVE to see more KW, just not in garbage time minutes.

Reaction Score
UConn runs a penetrate-and-dish offense that hasn't had anyone to dish to. A deadeye 3-point shooter changes everything. Six threes in a row and counting are impressive circumstantial evidence that we have found one. Add a rim protector and KO becomes the genius coach of a tournament-class team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UConn runs a penetrate-and-dish offense that hasn't had anyone to dish to. A deadeye 3-point shooter changes everything. Six threes in a row and counting are impressive circumstantial evidence that we have found one. Add a rim protector and KO becomes the genius coach of a tournament-class team.

Because those are their only issues...

Reaction Score

Ummm, No.

A rim protector doesn't improve this mess THAT much. We have lost 8 games by 20 or more points. Simply adding a rim protector wouldn't even make this a tourney team. Far too many other things need improvement as well, like spacing, ball movement, defense of the three, etc.

Reaction Score
Ummm, No.

A rim protector doesn't improve this mess THAT much. We have lost 8 games by 20 or more points. Simply adding a rim protector wouldn't even make this a tourney team. Far too many other things need improvement as well, like spacing, ball movement, defense of the three, etc.
Yeah, we need some shooters on this team before we need a rim protector. Wouldn't mind a guy who can score in the post too like Shonn Miller.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So if you add Amida Brimah and Vance Jackson to this team they’re tournament caliber....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah, we need some shooters on this team before we need a rim protector. Wouldn't mind a guy who can score in the post too like Shonn Miller.

But Shonn Miller was a grad transfer from a low-major program...

Reaction Score
After a four game stretch of barely playing, Tyler Polley has stepped it up in the last six games:

Per game in last 6: 21.3 minutes, 6.5 points, 40% fg, 69.2% 3p, 2.5 FT attempts at a 66.6% clip. Only 21 FT attempts in other 25 games total.

What to make of this? Well, we need outside shooting badly and having a 6-8 guy who finished the season with a 41.7 3p% is huge for next year. I was surprised by his recent ability to get to the line, which was refreshing since he is rail thin. If he's willing to get hit at his current size, I'm looking forward to what he can do in the paint as he fills out a bit.

It's been a rough year overall, but glad to see Polley develop towards the end of this season.

Reaction Score
Hope the kid adds strength this off season. Think the game will slow down for him next year. Not sure if he will become an all conrence or greater talent, but has the potential to be a key part of the rotation for another three years.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Still have faith in Whaley being a guy who will play and impact. He has regressed a bit on the boards no doubt, but his defense can be very good and he can block shots,change them. Has to hoist 1,000 shots a day all summer from the 8-12 foot space as well as back to the basket jump hooks both hands.

I'm with you.

no chance I'm giving up on Whaley.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

I like whaley for all the intangibles, let him be the pick and roll man in the offense. If he's always going towards the basket, he should be shooting mostly lay-ups or crashing for offensive rebounds. His shot is ugly, if it hasn't changed yet, not sure it will.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

His offense is worse than raw. Until he can contribute on the offensive end he is just eating minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

I think Whaley and Polley will be good guys to have coming off of the bench. They’re both very passive by nature, but aren’t selfish and don’t force shots.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
His offense is worse than raw. Until he can contribute on the offensive end he is just eating minutes.

he's easily the team's best defender.

he does need to add a short shot and a move, but he already has value.

Reaction Score
After a four game stretch of barely playing, Tyler Polley has stepped it up in the last six games:

Per game in last 6: 21.3 minutes, 6.5 points, 40% fg, 69.2% 3p, 2.5 FT attempts at a 66.6% clip. Only 21 FT attempts in other 25 games total.

What to make of this? Well, we need outside shooting badly and having a 6-8 guy who finished the season with a 41.7 3p% is huge for next year. I was surprised by his recent ability to get to the line, which was refreshing since he is rail thin. If he's willing to get hit at his current size, I'm looking forward to what he can do in the paint as he fills out a bit.

It's been a rough year overall, but glad to see Polley develop towards the end of this season.

If Polley can develop a little bit of a handle and maintain his shooting accuracy and defense, he will be an upgrade on Larrier. He has shown more willingness to go to hoop than Larrier. He is not as smooth, heck he is still somewhat awkward. But that is not always a drawback.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom