Tyler Polley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any more overblown narrative on this board than our "skinny" recruits.
You seriously don't think we tend to end up with skinnier/less built guys than most other elite teams?

Reaction Score
Think he was calling you relentless.
It's called sarcasm. Only way I know how to deal with someone who doesn't see reality. Not sure how anyone can watch that video and not come away with the observations that the kid has a nice handle, runs just like DeAndre and is skinny like DeAndre.

Reaction Score
You seriously don't think we tend to end up with skinnier/less built guys than most other elite teams?

I agree that we've been thinner than most teams, I disagree that it's been a problem. The '14 crew looked like a high school team and, while it bit them at times against teams like Louisville, it ultimately provided them with the versatility they needed to play small.

Facey was the one guy who I think you can argue was always held back by his build. Brimah just didn't have the instincts. Enoch, Adams, Purvis, Vital, and Jackson all look well-built and at no point last season did I feel like physique was what was holding us back.

pj

Reaction Score
18 year olds generally are skinny. They fill out. Polley looks great.

Reaction Score
I agree that we've been thinner than most teams, I disagree that it's been a problem. The '14 crew looked like a high school team and, while it bit them at times against teams like Louisville, it ultimately provided them with the versatility they needed to play small.

Facey was the one guy who I think you can argue was always held back by his build. Brimah just didn't have the instincts. Enoch, Adams, Purvis, Vital, and Jackson all look well-built and at no point last season did I feel like physique was what was holding us back.
Never said it was a problem but as you point out we sometimes look like a high school team. RIP was arguably our best player ever and he was a stringbean, Boat was the best perimeter defender in the country and weighed 160 lbs. soaking wet. Many of our greatest players have been built like high schoolers. I just find it interesting, some teams like Cincy and West Virginia always have muscled up grown men, while we don't.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think the easy comparison is DeAndre. No one should expect that production but they have similar builds, gaits, and skill sets.

Obviously nobody was defending him, but his ballhandling looked more smooth/fluid than DD's.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Never said it was a problem but as you point out we sometimes look like a high school team. RIP was arguably our best player ever and he was a stringbean, Boat was the best perimeter defender in the country and weighed 160 lbs. soaking wet. Many of our greatest players have been built like high schoolers. I just find it interesting, some teams like Cincy and West Virginia always have muscled up grown men, while we don't.

Rip was skinny, but strong - the rest of that team was muscled-up as well. All of those guys got bigger over the years. They had a great strength and condition program back in those days.

But I would say from about 2010 on, it's been an issue.

Reaction Score
I think Cobb has enough size and weight for the whole recruiting class.

Looking forward to seeing Polley play!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Rip was skinny, but strong - the rest of that team was muscled-up as well. All of those guys got bigger over the years. They had a great strength and condition program back in those days.

But I would say from about 2010 on, it's been an issue.

Don't forget about ROCK. He's a MAN who averages 13 fouls per 40 minutes.

Reaction Score

Yeah, it's a little bit of a catch-22 because you're always making concessions on the recruiting trail. There aren't many perfect players out there and a lot of times you have to decide whether you value length and athleticism or bulk. My sense is that most top tier programs value the former more (your typical Duke team is never particularly imposing, this year especially) and as a result the bulkier kids trickle down to the Cincinnati and West Virginia types.

Reaction Score
Obviously nobody was defending him, but his ballhandling looked more smooth/fluid than DD's.

DD's mixtape handles looked like Shamgod handles compared to what we saw in a Husky uniform.

The thing that sticks out to me is the slightly hunched over gait and even the splayed legged 1 handed dunk.

Reaction Score
DD's mixtape handles looked like Shamgod handles compared to what we saw in a Husky uniform.

The thing that sticks out to me is the slightly hunched over gait and even the splayed legged 1 handed dunk.
This is true, Daniels tapes made him look like Lamar Odom. Polley does look a lot like Daniels.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think there is any more overblown narrative on this board than our "skinny" recruits.

Watching Fox for Kentucky. Doesn't get much skinnier.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That's on Ollie's recruiting philosophy, Calhoun always had a team full of grown man bodies, even in down years.

C

Chief00

I think the easy comparison is DeAndre. No one should expect that production but they have similar builds, gaits, and skill sets.
He can break you down more with the dribble than Daniels. I actually like Prolly's game.

Reaction Score
No way. He'll be the 4th guard next year. He got minutes on a terrible team with a depleted roster.

I think this would be who's someone who becomes a really good player on a good team.

I was actually thinking of him when I wrote that. He fits the bill I guess.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
18 year olds generally are skinny. They fill out. Polley looks great.

Most of us wished we looked like Polley when we were 18
He will become bigger but again - looks like he has a really neat handle for a kid his size

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom