Tyler Phommachanh | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh

Reaction Score
I'm not at a loss at all. I've been high on ZT all along. He is having difficulty making quick reads and adapting to speed of college defenses. He doesn't have a 70 yard cannon for an arm.
Watch his high school film, he does have a big arm.

Reaction Score
Could it be that Mora is waiting for the BC game for Tyler Phommachanh to play? He could play the rest of the regular season and still get a medical redshirt, right?
Why not? That would only be 4 games played.
The NCAA Medical Hardship Waiver process changed for injuries that occurred in 2022 moving forward but I believe this is the process for a 2021 incapacitating injury so the second bullet point would apply:

To qualify for a Division I Medical Hardship Waiver:

• The athlete can’t have participated in more than 30% of the number of games or dates of competition in their sport.
  • The athlete also must not appear in a contest after the midpoint of the season.
  • The athlete must have contemporaneous documentation from a medical professional that their injury or illness prevents them from being able to continue participating in their season.
Phommachanh may be able to regain a year of eligibility for 2021for a medical hardship waiver when he exhaust all remaining eligibility. This year would then qualify as a regular redshirt year.

Reaction Score
The NCAA Medical Hardship Waiver process changed for injuries that occurred in 2022 moving forward but I believe this is the process for a 2021 incapacitating injury so the second bullet point would apply:

To qualify for a Division I Medical Hardship Waiver:

• The athlete can’t have participated in more than 30% of the number of games or dates of competition in their sport.
  • The athlete also must not appear in a contest after the midpoint of the season.
  • The athlete must have contemporaneous documentation from a medical professional that their injury or illness prevents them from being able to continue participating in their season.
Phommachanh may be able to regain a year of eligibility for 2021for a medical hardship waiver when he exhaust all remaining eligibility. This year would then qualify as a regular redshirt year.

This would be after the mid-point of the season. Thanks for the clarification.

Reaction Score
Could it be that Mora is waiting for the BC game for Tyler Phommachanh to play? He could play the rest of the regular season and still get a medical redshirt, right?
No. I don’t think that happens. Maybe if we are up 30 or down 30 it is possible but I doubt it even under that circumstance

Reaction Score
Well I guess you can't play after the mid-point of the season and get a medical redshirt anyway.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Turner has shown more promise than Tyler in their true freshmen seasons. Anyone who would deny this has their CT homer glasses on, there’s no way around it. He won’t see the field unless Turner gets injured.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Do players who practice in training camp get medical redshirts? I mean he’s on the depth chart and available to play, how does that work?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong, I believe Roberson tore his ACL only. Should we expect him to miss the majority of the season next year? Mora may need to be aggressive with the portal for more QBs this off-season
Mora needs to be aggressive in the portal for a QB even if he expects Roberson at 100% for the start of next year, and he can’t be sure of that. Good for everyone that we’re getting better with a second string true frosh backup playing, but the stats are what they are. We still don’t know that we have an average FBS QB on the roster — one who would start on a team ranked between 60 and 80 —and we need one.

I’m not telling you that one of the QBs on our roster can’t get there. But none has yet. And ZT’s guts and leadership aside, and Tyler Phommachanh’s energy when he came in last year aside, and Roberson’s HS recruiting ranking aside as he has less than one game on the field of experience, none of them have proven that level of proficiency yet.

Reaction Score
Zion has been protecting the football much better as time goes on. He has had one fumble and no INTs in the last two games. That is a good sign and the reason for optimism.

He has some issues with accuracy especially on short passes. He doesn't seem to get through his progression even with time. If his primary receiver isn't open, he has trouble. Right now it is more important for our QB not to be a liability. The jury is still out whether he develop into an asset. But players do improve.

That is what I see in Zion.
I agree he has certainly improved in being a good game steward/manager. I’m not sure there is a higher ceiling with him. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Mora needs to be aggressive in the portal for a QB even if he expects Roberson at 100% for the start of next year, and he can’t be sure of that. Good for everyone that we’re getting better with a second string true frosh backup playing, but the stats are what they are. We still don’t know that we have an average FBS QB on the roster — one who would start on a team ranked between 60 and 80 —and we need one.

I’m not telling you that one of the QBs on our roster can’t get there. But none has yet. And ZT’s guts and leadership aside, and Tyler Phommachanh’s energy when he came in last year aside, and Roberson’s HS recruiting ranking aside as he has less than one game on the field of experience, none of them have proven that level of proficiency yet.
I don't think that is the plan unless a QB transfers as there will be 5 scholarship QBs on the roster. And, I think expectations are way too high for how a true freshman QB should play (unless they are a clear high 4*/5*), especially given the injuries to most of the top offensive skill players. Do you remember Dan Orlovsky? Here are his freshman stats compared to ZT and Tyler Phommachanh:

Dan O: 10 games: 128 for 269, 47.6%, 1379 yards, 5.1 yards per attempt, 9 TDs, 11 INTs, QB rating 93.5

Tyler Phommachanh: 3 games: 35 for 72, 48.6%, 321 yards, 4.5 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 2 INTs, QB rating 85.1

ZT: 7 games: 76 for 132, 57.6%, 661 yards, 5.0 yards per attempt, 5 TDs, 3 INTs, QB rating 107.6

Personally, I think the bigger needs for transfers are a big RB, LBs, and a DB. And, if you can find a very good player you take him regardless of position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. He’s probably getting a deserved medical redshirt year and getting 110% healthy.
110%? You would think with the full season off he could at least be like 182% healthy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As for stats, I would give the nod to ZT so far:

Tyler Phommachanh: 35 of 72 48.6%, 321 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 5 sacks, 85.09 QB rating. Rushing: 24 for 92 yards, 2 TDs,

ZT; 76 for 132 57.6%, 661 yards, 5 TDs, 3 INTs, 9 sacks, 107.59 QB rating. Rushing: 49 for 99 yards, 1 TD.
Yeah, I don’t know how fair of a comparison this is given that Zion has a much better line in front of him. It seemed like Tyler was running for his life on every single play.

Reaction Score

It's highly unlikely Mora will be able to bring in a QB more talented than Zion Turner this offseason.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watch his high school film, he does have a big arm.

I definitely think he has a legit D1 arm but I think there are a group QB's above him that belong in a separate group for arm strength.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's highly unlikely Mora will be able to bring in a QB more talented than Zion Turner this offseason.
With the team trending up, there are likely to be some P5 QB3s thinking I could play there and win...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Zion has been protecting the football much better as time goes on. He has had one fumble and no INTs in the last two games. That is a good sign and the reason for optimism.

He has some issues with accuracy especially on short passes. He doesn't seem to get through his progression even with time. If his primary receiver isn't open, he has trouble. Right now it is more important for our QB not to be a liability. The jury is still out whether he develop into an asset. But players do improve.

That is what I see in Zion.
If he doubles his passing production, you can absolutely say this. I don't throw interceptions and have only slightly less passing yardage per game than ZT. No turnovers is great, but that is a partly a function of reduced ambition in play calling.

Reaction Score
I don't think that is the plan unless a QB transfers as there will be 5 scholarship QBs on the roster. And, I think expectations are way too high for how a true freshman QB should play (unless they are a clear high 4*/5*), especially given the injuries to most of the top offensive skill players. Do you remember Dan Orlovsky? Here are his freshman stats compared to ZT and Tyler Phommachanh:

Dan O: 10 games: 128 for 269, 47.6%, 1379 yards, 5.1 yards per attempt, 9 TDs, 11 INTs, QB rating 93.5

Tyler Phommachanh: 3 games: 35 for 72, 48.6%, 321 yards, 4.5 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 2 INTs, QB rating 85.1

ZT: 7 games: 76 for 132, 57.6%, 661 yards, 5.0 yards per attempt, 5 TDs, 3 INTs, QB rating 107.6

Personally, I think the bigger needs for transfers are a big RB, LBs, and a DB. And, if you can find a very good player you take him regardless of position.

Excellent post and ZT has played against a tougher schedule than DO and Tyler Phommachanh. Nothing is complete at this point but when we get a full group of D1 wideouts then evaluations can be made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom