Tyler Phommachanh | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh

Reaction Score
Gotta be honest. Did not see the last part of your statement coming. That was a way from left field comparison. Physically about the same size and Drew never had a cannon but Zion is light years away from Drew's touch and precision.
I’m at a loss as to what anybody sees with ZT. He’s got a strong arm. The rest is a bit of mess in terms of pocket feel, field vision, processing speed, and natural play making. Tyler Phommachanh is a much more naturally equipped QB, though is arm is not as strong.

Reaction Score
I’m at a loss as to what anybody sees with ZT. He’s got a strong arm. The rest is a bit of mess in terms of pocket feel, field vision, processing speed, and natural play making. Tyler Phommachanh is a much more naturally equipped QB, though is arm is not as strong.

Zion has been protecting the football much better as time goes on. He has had one fumble and no INTs in the last two games. That is a good sign and the reason for optimism.

He has some issues with accuracy especially on short passes. He doesn't seem to get through his progression even with time. If his primary receiver isn't open, he has trouble. Right now it is more important for our QB not to be a liability. The jury is still out whether he develop into an asset. But players do improve.

That is what I see in Zion.

Reaction Score
No inside knowledge here but from the type of injury he suffered and considering it's been about a year, I think they are playing it safe and nothing else, especially for a mobile quarterback. I think he's on the depth chart because of depth issues at the position but I don't think he plays unless there are more injuries.

I'm just a fan watching games here, but he seems involved, active and was celebrating as much as anyone when they won the Fresno game... so I don't think it's a case of a kid just playing out the string in practice to transfer at the end of the season - I think this is just a kid they see has talent and they don't want him to see the field until he's 100% for his own good. Re-injuring the knee would be another lost season and likely the end of his FBS career at this point. No one is going to take him as a transfer if he had to sit another year.

Reaction Score
Well, the numbers don't bear that out and the odds have been more stacked against ZT.

First, ZT was thrown into action in week 1 and Tyler Phommachanh did not play until week 4. Next, ZT has faced a much harder schedule than Tyler Phommachanh. Tyler Phommachanh faced Army, Wyoming, and Vandy (for part of the game). ZT faced Utah St., CCSU, Syracuse, Michigan, NC St., and Fresno St. And, Zion's team has been decimated with injuries to the WRs and RBs. I don't think people are giving credit to how QBs need to find rhythm with their receivers which Zion has not been able to do given that he arrived on campus in the summer and almost all of the top WRs and RBs are injured. Tyler Phommachanh was a spring enrollee so he had much more practice time at UConn. Coaching is kind of a wash as Tyler Phommachanh didn't play until Mazzone showed up and tweaked the offense.

As for stats, I would give the nod to ZT so far:

Tyler Phommachanh: 35 of 72 48.6%, 321 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 5 sacks, 85.09 QB rating. Rushing: 24 for 92 yards, 2 TDs,

ZT; 76 for 132 57.6%, 661 yards, 5 TDs, 3 INTs, 9 sacks, 107.59 QB rating. Rushing: 49 for 99 yards, 1 TD.

It's early in both players careers so it's hard to draw conclusions as to who is the better long term QB. And, as we have seen. almost every QB on the roster will get a chance to show what they have in games.

Reaction Score
Zion has been protecting the football much better as time goes on. He has had one fumble and no INTs in the last two games. That is a good sign and the reason for optimism.

He has some issues with accuracy especially on short passes. He doesn't seem to get through his progression even with time. If his primary receiver isn't open, he has trouble. Right now it is more important for our QB not to be a liability. The jury is still out whether he develop into an asset. But players do improve.

That is what I see in Zion.
I'm still at "buy" on Zion too. I think now that we aren't playing very good P5 teams the second half of the year, there's gonna be more deep balls. Hard to throw a deep ball when someone is covered. He's still not making deep throws like we saw in his recruiting videos but in those videos his receivers were getting tons of separation. He certainly needs to work on holding on to the ball/not fumbling a bit and also a couple times he needed to make a throw out of bounds to avoid a sack, but he's doing a good job of knowing when to throw and when to run and when just to take a 2 to -2 yard outcome rather than get drilled (he did get hit a bit last game one time when he tried to stretch it out too much). Also, for the most part, he's been smart enough to throw to the sticks on third down (mostly)... that's something that QBs typically develop pretty late - but this is also having a competent offensive coaching staff that draws up plays to get first down yardage... even in the NFL I see teams screw this up.

Reaction Score
He's probably going to get a medical redshirt, so why not let him get back to 100% before putting him on the field?
Good point and the other side of it is they can use help on offense with all of these injuries. Also, with an injury that goes this long, you start to wonder if there will be a 100%. Think Akok in bball.

Reaction Score
No inside knowledge here but from the type of injury he suffered and considering it's been about a year, I think they are playing it safe and nothing else, especially for a mobile quarterback. I think he's on the depth chart because of depth issues at the position but I don't think he plays unless there are more injuries.

I'm just a fan watching games here, but he seems involved, active and was celebrating as much as anyone when they won the Fresno game... so I don't think it's a case of a kid just playing out the string in practice to transfer at the end of the season - I think this is just a kid they see has talent and they don't want him to see the field until he's 100% for his own good. Re-injuring the knee would be another lost season and likely the end of his FBS career at this point. No one is going to take him as a transfer if he had to sit another year.
With an injury that goes more than a season, you start to wonder if there will be a 100% recovery. As far as team injuries, how many more can there be?

Reaction Score
The guy that tells the truth since people on this board want a CT hero QB to root for and have exaggerated Tyler’s stats to fit that narrative?

Weak and dumb post.

Tyler Phommachanh showed tremendous pocket awareness, made quick decisions and looked like a mini Randall Cunningham running the ball and made last year's horribly coached team competitive. He did this 4 months out of high school. You stink at analysis. Take your stats and cram them.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
According to an article in August, Tyler had:
  • Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL): torn
  • Lateral collateral ligament (LCL): torn
  • Meniscus: torn
If you "just" tear an ACL, your recovery can be shorter, however it's dependent on what is used for the graft - cadaver, patellar tendon, hamstring (the latter two then result in healing time for that area).

If your LCL can heal on it's own, great. If not, then surgery complicates the recovery process.

If you tear your meniscus has to be repaired, then that's a bit of time immobilized before you are allowed to bend the knee, dependent on severity of tear, and if it was a remove or repair, where if just an ACL, they usually want movement fairly quickly.

I have been thru ACLs in both knees, and both times, was lucky to avoid the "terrible triad" of ACL/MCL/meniscus.

All this said, it's not surprising that he may not be 100%. Experts say that an ACL can take up to 2 years to heal from a whole body perspective - getting everything to talk to each other, proprioception, muscle rebuild, and the mental trust to do stuff without hesitating.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong, I believe Roberson tore his ACL only. Should we expect him to miss the majority of the season next year? Mora may need to be aggressive with the portal for more QBs this off-season

Reaction Score
Weak and dumb post.

Tyler Phommachanh showed tremendous pocket awareness, made quick decisions and looked like a mini Randall Cunningham running the ball and made last year's horribly coached team competitive. He did this 4 months out of high school. You stink at analysis. Take your stats and cram them.
Oh yeah mini Randall Cunningham where he ran the ball 12 times for 14 yds against Wyoming. Oh and also went 7/21 in that Wyoming game in the 2nd half after Wyo was done sleep walking...

Reaction Score
Maybe they’ll install a new offense during bye week with Tyler Phommachanh, Brewton, Houston and Marion. Watch out BCU! JK

Reaction Score
The guy that tells the truth since people on this board want a CT hero QB to root for and have exaggerated Tyler’s stats to fit that narrative?
I’m not sure I would go quite that far but as I said at the beginning of the year, he is a running quarterback who throws. Those guys normally have a low ceiling. Zion is more of a passer who can run, or at least is supposed to be. I am not sold on him as the future yet. He has had flashes but not too many in my view. I could see him getting beaten out next year. Just not sure who will do it. And FWIW I agree that this board generally overrates local players. They did with Rose. Before him they did with the running back from Berlin. I think they did it a bit with the running back from Ansonia. He was good but not on the same planet as some we had. There are people hear that insist Rosa, clearly a running back and a good one, should be playing quarterback just as there were guys who said Rose should be doing that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm not at a loss at all. I've been high on ZT all along. He is having difficulty making quick reads and adapting to speed of college defenses. He doesn't have a 70 yard cannon for an arm.

OTOH, he hasn't had too many issues getting plays called and setting the offense, he doesn't make turnovers and he is getting more familiar with his 5th and 6th WR as a true frosh.

Am I expecting him to turn in to VInce Young at the college level? heck no. But he is showing the ability to run an offense and has gradually improved in the face of massive injury losses on the offensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
No. He’s probably getting a deserved medical redshirt year and getting 110% healthy.
Could it be that Mora is waiting for the BC game for Tyler Phommachanh to play? He could play the rest of the regular season and still get a medical redshirt, right?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately your totally wrong. I went to the Michigan game at the Big House. Our offensive blocking was good but there is no separation for the receivers . I saw with my own eyes this 18 year old kid had no one to throw it to. When he has open receivers he can deliver the ball on the money. Give him more weapons and this kid will flourish.

Reaction Score
Could it be that Mora is waiting for the BC game for Tyler Phommachanh to play? He could play the rest of the regular season and still get a medical redshirt, right?
Really hoping this is a joke... No coach is gonna hold off on a better player just so that they can have more eligibility left. If that were the case, then Millen would be QB1 right now. Phommachanh is QB3 because Mora/Charlton see the QBs every day in practice and think that's where he fits best for now.

Reaction Score
Why not? That would only be 4 games played. Or do you mean that's not Mora's plan?

Reaction Score
Really hoping this is a joke... No coach is gonna hold off on a better player just so that they can have more eligibility left. If that were the case, then Millen would be QB1 right now. Phommachanh is QB3 because Mora/Charlton see the QBs every day in practice and think that's where he fits best for now.
I'm not saying that at all. He hasn't played at all in any capacity. That's strange even if he is 3rd string. But if Mora is holding him out due to an injury indefinitely anyway, it may be timely to play him if it's appropriate and helpful late enough in the season that they still can get another season out of him.

Reaction Score
Weak and dumb post.

I thought this was a joke at first but you seem to be serious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom