Tyler Phommachanh | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh is better than Jack Zergiotis that much is clear. But Tyler Phommachanh has a long way to go. He has yet to throw over 50% in a game. He is in inaccurate and missed open receivers against Wyoming which could have change the outcome and he threw a game killing pick.

Our QB situation has basically gone from from hopeless to hopeful, and that's a lot.

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh is better than Jack Zergiotis that much is clear. But Tyler Phommachanh has a long way to go. He has yet to throw over 50% in a game. He is in inaccurate and missed open receivers against Wyoming which could have change the outcome and he threw a game killing pick.

Our QB situation has basically gone from from hopeless to hopeful, and that's a lot.

The biggest effect Tyler Phommachanh has had is in the running game. He has to be accounted for so we now have space to run. He also extends passing plays with his agility/mobility.

I think Tyler Phommachanh should run more. He did a great job of avoiding the big hit on Saturday which was a big improvement over the previous week when he took some big shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The biggest effect Tyler Phommachanh has had is in the running game. He has to be accounted for and we now have space to run. He also extends passing plays with his agility/mobility.

I think Tyler Phommachanh should run more. He did a great job of avoiding the big hit on Saturday which was a big improvement over the previous week when he took some big shots.

I think this is a good overall assessment. He's not a big guy so I don't know how much running he can do before he gets bang up, but he has to be accounted for in the running game and that can go a long way in college football.

I don't see a big arm, but I don't think that's a big deal. He's pretty poised out there, especially relative to his age and experience. We might have a good one on our hands if he can stay healthy and continue to develop.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
scramblers who can also go forward have a tendency to freeze the defense, especially the lb's. it's all we got, so let's run with that. i expect moar than a few times where he goes head down, then stops before the los, and voila!- an 18 yard dink play as the lb's bite on the fake.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
scramblers who can also go forward have a tendency to freeze the defense, especially the lb's. it's all we got, so let's run with that. i expect moar than a few times where he goes head down, then stops before the los, and voila!- an 18 yard dink play as the lb's bite on the fake.
This is what I would have drawn up on the 2 pt conversion or even the earlier downs from inside the 5.
Those fades never stood a chance, their corners are bigger than our WR (which will often be the case). When you can’t rely on size, speed, and skill you need to rely on misdirection and deception. I think Mazzone is helping Guiffre and Moyseenko realize this and adapt. Could see more intricacies added in as time goes on

Reaction Score
a few things ...

Noel Mazzone is a innovator on that "pistol" thing going back decades. So, we are a little tweak away from where we were a few weeks ago. Then. He did not underthrow Rose on that TD: Mazzone's stamp on the game has been getting a receiver in space where he could run. The razzledazzle design left Rose uncovered. Phommachanh delivered as designed. NO. He has not shown arm strength or touch on the basics that will make the offense far more potent; however, those simple things can be taught. Throwing a simple out needs to have more zip and neither Giufre nor Moyseenko seems to have emphasized certain fundamentals = Tyler Phommachanh is learning. Carter looked far better. That is going to make the Line play look so much better; he doesn't need much. But with Tyler Phommachanh having success, the cuts and quickness through the hole will gash our RB for 4-9 yards regularly. Maurisseau and Brewton add a lot; and I bet Giufre had no idea how to use them.

This is us. Let's hope we have a little luck on who gets to line up week to week. Wish we had Cam Ross today

Reaction Score
I think this is a good overall assessment. He's not a big guy so I don't know how much running he can do before he gets bang up, but he has to be accounted for in the running game and that can go a long way in college football.

I don't see a big arm, but I don't think that's a big deal. He's pretty poised out there, especially relative to his age and experience. We might have a good one on our hands if he can stay healthy and continue to develop.
Which is what I said in an earlier post. Why did they not design plays for a duel threat QB? He threw 39 times and 3 or 4 designed run plays. That’s more of an Air Raid offense.

Reaction Score
There's so much to like and loads of potential for this kid.

Yes, he's been erratic at times (typical freshman), but here are some great throws & plays from crunch time in 2nd half that show he's got high-level abilities. I'm not going to highlight the 4-5 meh/sketchy throws, but we all know those are the things he ca/will start to eliminate:

- 3rd quarter, 3rd & 6 from deep in own territory just after our D made the 3rd-quarter INT. Crucial to move the chains here. Delivered pass to receiver on the money and in-stride:

- 2nd & 9, two plays later. Scrambles, keeps play alive, fires a laser to Rose where only he can catch it. Pass incomplete but well-executed: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play, 3rd & 9. Patient in the pocket and delivers a 22-yd strike right on target to move the chains: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-A few plays later in the drive. This is a sack for an 8-10yd loss if Jack Zergiotis or Steven Krajewski are QB here: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Final drive of the game:

-3rd play after his INT throw, nice delivery on a crossing route: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play...here's one where he needed to deliver the ball better to his receiver. Still, a catchable ball that the receiver needs to catch and secure on 3rd down (he was past the 1st down marker, need to catch the ball 1st, worry about possibly running 2nd): Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play, 4th & 9 (following brutal false start penalty), bailed out by a BAD pass interference play. We'll take it. Wyoming coaches had to be losing their minds LOL Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-2nd down after a great scamper on 3rd & 5 to move the chains. OOPS! Missed his read on a wide open receiver. Experience will prevent this from happening again. BTW, how bad is Wyoming's coverage here to allow 2 receivers to get so behind coverage??? Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play, a really nice throw, kept receiver in stride, threw a catchable ball to allow for an easy PI call. Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-1st & goal. Nice floater to the TE. Great throw. Only offense can catch this ball. A slightly more athletic TE makes this grab for a TD. I think he only got 2" off the ground on his jump, unfortunately (and still got fingers on it): Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

(P.S. - Would be remiss if I didn't shout out to Nate Carter. So many huge runs on our possessions in the 2nd half!!!)

Reaction Score
There's so much to like and loads of potential for this kid.

Yes, he's been erratic at times (typical freshman), but here are some great throws & plays from crunch time in 2nd half that show he's got high-level abilities. I'm not going to highlight the 4-5 meh/sketchy throws, but we all know those are the things he ca/will start to eliminate:

- 3rd quarter, 3rd & 6 from deep in own territory just after our D made the 3rd-quarter INT. Crucial to move the chains here. Delivered pass to receiver on the money and in-stride:

- 2nd & 9, two plays later. Scrambles, keeps play alive, fires a laser to Rose where only he can catch it. Pass incomplete but well-executed: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play, 3rd & 9. Patient in the pocket and delivers a 22-yd strike right on target to move the chains: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-A few plays later in the drive. This is a sack for an 8-10yd loss if Jack Zergiotis or Steven Krajewski are QB here: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Final drive of the game:

-3rd play after his INT throw, nice delivery on a crossing route: Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play...here's one where he needed to deliver the ball better to his receiver. Still, a catchable ball that the receiver needs to catch and secure on 3rd down (he was past the 1st down marker, need to catch the ball 1st, worry about possibly running 2nd): Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play, 4th & 9 (following brutal false start penalty), bailed out by a BAD pass interference play. We'll take it. Wyoming coaches had to be losing their minds LOL Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-2nd down after a great scamper on 3rd & 5 to move the chains. OOPS! Missed his read on a wide open receiver. Experience will prevent this from happening again. BTW, how bad is Wyoming's coverage here to allow 2 receivers to get so behind coverage??? Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-Next play, a really nice throw, kept receiver in stride, threw a catchable ball to allow for an easy PI call. Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

-1st & goal. Nice floater to the TE. Great throw. Only offense can catch this ball. A slightly more athletic TE makes this grab for a TD. I think he only got 2" off the ground on his jump, unfortunately (and still got fingers on it): Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021

(P.S. - Would be remiss if I didn't shout out to Nate Carter. So many huge runs on our possessions in the 2nd half!!!)

I don’t think that would’ve been an 8 yard sack for Steven Krajewski. He escaped the pocket more times than Tyler Phommachanh He also stayed in it to take several hits (no happy feet) and picked up several key first downs with his legs and arm. I’m disappointed that they just Steven Krajewski under the bus after just one game. He waited his turn and they never gave him a fair shot.

Reaction Score
1st & goal. Nice floater to the TE. Great throw. Only offense can catch this ball. A slightly more athletic TE makes this grab for a TD. I think he only got 2" off the ground on his jump, unfortunately (and still got fingers on it): Wyoming vs. UConn LIVE HD | College Football LIVE | NCAAF Week 4 | September 25, 2021
This was infuriating. If they played their best TE’s then they would not be missing a simple easy floater pass and screw up an easy TD like this. But Corey is like his Dad and it seems to be coming out as more former players speak out about the culture. The best players should play.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that would’ve been an 8 yard sack for Steven Krajewski. He escaped the pocket more times than Tyler Phommachanh He also stayed in it to take several hits (no happy feet) and picked up several key first downs with his legs and arm. I’m disappointed that they just Steven Krajewski under the bus after just one game. He waited his turn and they never gave him a fair shot.
I wish things would have gone better for the kid. When he got extended time against UCF he also got banged up. Part of it is having luck with injuries. If another guy comes in when you're out and performs at a decent level, and players seem to rally around that guy, what are coaches going to do?

Reaction Score
I wish things would have gone better for the kid. When he got extended time against UCF he also got banged up. Part of it is having luck with injuries. If another guy comes in when you're out and performs at a decent level, and players seem to rally around that guy, what are coaches going to do?
Patriots should have gone back to Bledsoe. He was the better QB.

Reaction Score

I have no ill-will towards Steven Krajewski at all and agree he's had some bad breaks in his UConn career so far. I know you and Rosebud are the resident homers for him, and that's fine. We can agree to disagree here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I feel for Steven Krajewski but in football as in any sport, you lead with the guys who are playing as the team improves. Not good to change horses in the middle of the stream as you are heading towards more shallow waters

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And who's to say his number never gets called again. This is football.

Reaction Score
He played ok. Bright future for him. However three dropped ints one called back on a penalty which would of been 5. Then 6/23 in the second half passing is concerning as well as the batted balls. Nothing a little coaching can’t fix
Seems like fixing that would take more than a little coaching. Scored touchdowns on one "surprise" play and one series with 3 legit pass interference calls (1st one was pretty stupid as UConn kid was no where near getting 1st down on 4th down).

Other than that 3 field goals.

As you noted, not so effective 2nd half passing.

Sure haven't seen his best game yet, also not sure have seen his worse game. Opponents now have some tape, he has trouble throwing over defenders, throws into coverage, can run option, throws over middle (which I see as good thing); good and not so good things.

Good thing is that he is going to get some run so we'll get to see how he progresses now that opponents can plan against what he does best while at same time UConn play calling is getting better/more aggressive and some skill players are making plays.

Vanderbilt should be a good test, they must have athletes on defense, even if not up to SEC standards and hopefully their offense is not so good that they put the game away early. I saw improvement in defense against Wyoming but lot of weak passing by their QB (but boy he could run).

Reaction Score
Seems like fixing that would take more than a little coaching. Scored touchdowns on one "surprise" play and one series with 3 legit pass interference calls (1st one was pretty stupid as UConn kid was no where near getting 1st down on 4th down).

Other than that 3 field goals.

As you noted, not so effective 2nd half passing.

Sure haven't seen his best game yet, also not sure have seen his worse game. Opponents now have some tape, he has trouble throwing over defenders, throws into coverage, can run option, throws over middle (which I see as good thing); good and not so good things.

Good thing is that he is going to get some run so we'll get to see how he progresses now that opponents can plan against what he does best while at same time UConn play calling is getting better/more aggressive and some skill players are making plays.

Vanderbilt should be a good test, they must have athletes on defense, even if not up to SEC standards and hopefully their offense is not so good that they put the game away early. I saw improvement in defense against Wyoming but lot of weak passing by their QB (but boy he could run).

About Vandy: Don't let the letters SEC cloud your judgement. Was listening to
ESPNU radio yesterday with Mark Packer. His take on the 'Dores: He says that he's felt for years that they only are happy to collect their paycheck in football. On their game last Saturday: Georgia took its foot off of the accelerator. The Bulldogs won 62-0 but could have scored 150 if the coach desired.
Sounds like the 1st two weeks of UConn's season. At least with the changes, UConn has hope, whereas Packer feels the Vanderbilt is just plain hopeless.

Reaction Score
About Vandy: Don't let the letters SEC cloud your judgement. Was listening to
ESPNU radio yesterday with Mark Packer. His take on the 'Dores: He says that he's felt for years that they only are happy to collect their paycheck in football. On their game last Saturday: Georgia took its foot off of the accelerator. The Bulldogs won 62-0 but could have scored 150 if the coach desired.
Sounds like the 1st two weeks of UConn's season. At least with the changes, UConn has hope, whereas Packer feels the Vanderbilt is just plain hopeless.
I also heard mark packer today at 4 talking about us vs Vandy. Sounds like we are ahead of them 126 and they are 128 I think he said?
Anyway he also said that it should be a great game.
Can’t wait to see us take the win!! Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Yeah and then some caller from Bama Auburn calls and rips on the game. Yes both teams are awful, but I don’t understand why people waste time to ridicule. You root for a better team but get a life.

Reaction Score
Yeah and then some caller from Bama Auburn calls and rips on the game. Yes both teams are awful, but I don’t understand why people waste time to ridicule. You root for a better team but get a life.
I think they're more pissed at the game being at 7:30 instead of 12:00 then the actual teams playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom