Tyler Phommachanh | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He didn’t fit into Randy’s offense…this obviously isn’t the same offensive. Just wonder if they changed the offense for Tyler Phommachanh or changed the offense and picked him cause he was the best option for the new style. But Mazzone definitely has a huge part in the changes. Go with what works! I only see them improving as the season goes on and they playbook gets larger.
The HC recruited a QB that didn't fit his offense? Why would he do that?

Reaction Score
Arm strength and durability given his frame.
From what Chief has seen he has really good arm strength to throw the deep ball. Maybe his velocity isn’t top tier, but it’s plenty good enough too.
During the games, as has been stated by others, he seldom has time to step into a throw or throw not on some kind of escape run.
I honestly think he can throw deep better than any UConn QB since Boyle, who many here did not see his full potential. Now we need to give him the time to do that.

Reaction Score
The HC recruited a QB that didn't fit his offense? Why would he do that?
Recruiting kind of went rogue the last two years as Corey and some of his younger assistants were open to new ways of doing things that Randy wasn’t. As Chief has said before, I give Corey the credit for managing that, and he was in a unique position to do so.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
stop me if u heard this one before: a haitian and a laotian meet in Bridgeport,
'Phommachanh’s father, Sam, was a standout quarterback at Harding High in Bridgeport in the early 1990s...'
wait, of course u haven't.
any son of a Harding qb, who played almost every game against staples, new canaan, trumbull, the patriots, etc, has the dna to be a really good scrambler. what's pops got now? 2 kids playing in the bigtime.
prolly heard at the dinner table when he was a kid, 'son, let me tell u aboot the game i ran for a couple of hundred yards.....'
'but dad, it only counts when u cross the line of scrimmage!'
the team needed a huge dose of his attitude and personality.
(“They came from different parts of the world and met up in Bridgeport,” said Tyler, who has a younger sister, Kaylah, a track athlete at Bunnell, and another older brother, Jordan, who played football as a lineman at Curry College in Milton, Mass.") bluebloods.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Immediate needs for Tyler Phommachanh this year.

First option, look, go to second. If he can't "see" #2 or it's covered, take off.

Off season need is to improve accuracy on 10 yards or less routes. Have to be in numbers in stride.

Upper classmen years can worry about deep throws.
Even on the long pass to Rose, Jay had to come back and catch it almost like a punt. Would love to see him make that play in stride but better off that than missing him by 40 yards

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Even on the long pass to Rose, Jay had to come back and catch it almost like a punt. Would love to see him make that play in stride but better off that than missing him by 40 yards

I wouldn't consider pass to Rose a long pass, which amplifies my point. He has to get so much better on short to medium range passes.

Sure Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson were small but they were both high level MLB prospects who have cannons for arms.

Reaction Score
They were his favorites. Because Beaudry bought ice cream and Zergiotis had the it factor.

Reaction Score
You are wrong about his arm talent. He had the best deep ball on the team and can make the other throws. His only drawback is height and he will have to often rollouts.
I have to disagree Look at the deep balls Steven Krajewski threw in the UCF game and even the two he made against Purdue as he was getting hit. All of his passes were accurate and hit the receivers in stride. I’m surprised that Spanos said Tyler Phommachanh’s running ability gave the team the best chance to win but draw up plays that are strictly designed for a pro style quarterback.

Reaction Score
Our best players are mostly freshman. It’s nice to see potential but they are closer to high school than fully developed. That’s not a knock - it’s just college football. We’ll be at our best when we can start seniors and juniors, and we can’t expect our frosh to hang against kids 3-4 years older than them. Next coach is gonna have to keep developing the potential year over year.

Yup.

And while its frustrating to STILL be talking about how young we are when I feel like we've been doing that during all of Edsall 2.0, I think in previous years it was strictly freshmen struggling and we just had to have blind faith and hope they would be better, whereas now we have several guys that you can see are going to be players and just need that time to develop. If the incoming coach gets these guys to buy in and can keep the incoming class together then this goes from a total rebuild to a pretty good opportunity for an up and coming coach.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider pass to Rose a long pass, which amplifies my point. He has to get so much better on short to medium range passes.

Sure Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson were small but they were both high level MLB prospects who have cannons for arms.
That was a long pass.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
And this is why Nate Carter was backpeddling when he was wide open and just couldn't catch up. Normally the receiver can catch in stride, slow down but in stride.

Reaction Score
I noticed that if TylerP sets his feet, he can make some nice throws. Unfortunately, the line causes him to get happy feet and I think that's what's causing a lot of his mistakes.

Reaction Score
I noticed that if TylerP sets his feet, he can make some nice throws. Unfortunately, the line causes him to get happy feet and I think that's what's causing a lot of his mistakes.
Exactly, some of the throws he’s making it’s remarkable he even gets the ball off. As Chief has said we need 3-4 OL in the portal.
The other thing is he needs to have some familiarity with his receivers and them in him.
Let’s not forget, what has just happened. The head coach being fired, effectively a new OC , someone said we started 7 freshman, etc. Tyler himself has gone from a freshman scout team to a starter. Patience.
If you talk to Tyler he views himself, rightly ir wrongly. as more of a pocket or organized rollout QB, yet out of necessity he’s been forced into making plays with his feet.

Reaction Score
If you talk to Tyler he views himself, rightly ir wrongly. as more of a pocket or organized rollout QB, yet out of necessity he’s been forced into making plays with his feet.

Tyler has always believed himself to be a true dual threat QB on the field

These are his words before he even stepped on campus.

“I can make all the throws; I just have to work on making them better,” Phommachanh said. “What I bring to the table is energy, leadership and my ability to move the ball without throwing it. I think that’s important in today’s game, to have a [quarterback] who can move around and make plays with his feet. When I get there, my play and my style of play and my attitude, I think will show for itself. It will help me get on the field, I think.”

He just needs more game speed seasoning @ this level and continued physical conditioning to be able to take the next steps.

Reaction Score
In the age of the 24/7 transfer portal - play the best players should on the field.

If a player develops to an NFL caliber they are gone in 3/4 years. Or player/family/agent thinks it is best to spend year 4/5 playing for a P5 team roster. Or there is an injury. Or there is a superior future recruit.

Concern about 2025 is not high on the list of concerns for UConn Husky Football.
Couldn't agree more.
The days of developing talent for 4 years is over. If an athlete has a top skillset- they will either declare for draft or enter portal to play for a higher profile team. This is the the reality of college athletics

Reaction Score
Nate Carter, Keelan Marion, Aaron Turner. All freshman. Brian Brewton as well? Then you have Matt Drayton and Cam Ross hopefully back next year? That's a nice nucleus of young offensive guys. The next coach's 1st job has to be to recruit these guys to buy into what he wants to do.
What happened to Burns? Didn’t see him play.

Reaction Score
Edsall’s gameplan was to use the redshirt whenever possible. He knows talent, but never thought his job would be in jeopardy. His plan was to redshirt as many freshman as possible and Tyler was caught in that plan
What about Jack Zergiotis?

Reaction Score
I think we have a star in the making!! I think Tyler Phommachanh got the wheels. I might see if I can find the game on YT. I'm just hoping that no one will transfer out after the season, I think if a coach will talk the them, maybe they'll stick around and help rebuild UConn. I believe this season is NOT lost...
plenty will transfer out.

Reaction Score
Tyler has always believed himself to be a true dual threat QB on the field

These are his words before he even stepped on campus.

“I can make all the throws; I just have to work on making them better,” Phommachanh said. “What I bring to the table is energy, leadership and my ability to move the ball without throwing it. I think that’s important in today’s game, to have a [quarterback] who can move around and make plays with his feet. When I get there, my play and my style of play and my attitude, I think will show for itself. It will help me get on the field, I think.”

He just needs more game speed seasoning @ this level and continued physical conditioning to be able to take the next steps.
As you stated, these comments were made before getting to UConn. I agree about his ability to make throws and Tyler just needs to fine tune the throws better. My sense is he now recognizes he will “move around” or roll out to create time for his throws. Sure there will be run/pass option rollouts and runs opposite of motion activity misdirection. And with his OL, some runs to escape pressure. But, you will see less of him taking the ball from center and running.
What change since before college is the recognition he needs to be smart about things. He’s a tough, confident guy but isn’t a big dude. The coaches are trying to emphasize that and instruct him to slide. Last game on one play you saw him take that instruction too literarily and he slide before he could have likely made a first down if he kept running. So that’s a work in progress for Tyler at game speed to know situationally when to extend the run effort and when to slide. I do know he doesn’t want to be stereo-typed as one of those college QB’s who can run not pass. Some dual threat sure but he wants his passing to be respected.

Reaction Score
Even on the long pass to Rose, Jay had to come back and catch it almost like a punt.
And this is why Nate Carter was backpeddling when he was wide open and just couldn't catch up.
The receivers seem to be expecting the ball to be short, which must be showing up in practice—especially when Tyler Phommachanh is throwing on the move. It also helps explain the number of back shoulder catches on sideline and wheel routes. Bottom line, as long as our guys know Tyler Phommachanh’s tendencies better than Vandy’s defense does after watching our game film, we can live to fight another day and hope that more practice can get us closer to perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom