Tyler Phommachanh | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. I did not mention Steven Krajewski.
2. I stated that Tyler Phommachanh played well and has a bright future
3. What I did state is in fact not untrue. He was 6/23 was he not. We’re there blocked passes and room for5 ints that one was called back on a penalty and three went right through dbsbhabds.
4. If saying that’s concerning and hopefully can be corrected with coaching is not taking a shot at a player. Do you see what 90 percent of the people on this board say about players?

im sorry that I pointed out facts and sometimes that hurts peoples feelings that we were beat on every stat line and tps completion percentage was less than 50. But that is not taking shots at a player. The kid is the future of this program as long as they don’t Donnovan him and burn him out too early in his career. He is a great athlete. But I’m not gonna say he’s the second coming of Russel Wilson like some people have said after a mediocre performance. However there is a lot to build off of with his raw talent. That was the most unbiased analysis I could do used straight facts. And there were a few dropped balls in there but a major improvement from last two games. Have a great Sunday and go huskies
Did you really say Tyler Phommachanh is the next Russell Wilson???? Good grief!

jk

Reaction Score
Prime time! Guess I’m just being sensitive. Just annoying that people get so much pleasure trashing UCONN.
It doesn’t bother me. We suck, but I think we will be presentable soon. If they want to rip on us , let them. Nobody would even bother to rip on Central Michigan or Bowling Green. Just be glad we have a brand name, so people want to trash us. That’s a good sign.

Reaction Score

jk
Is this your first visit to the Yard? We regularly compare our guys to all time greats. It is particularly prevalent an the hoop board, where long time back ups are the next Michael Jordans, but it seeps in here too.

Reaction Score
Watching him in person on Saturday reminded me of all the times (over the past decade +) that I've watched the opposing QB and said 'why can't we recruit someone like him'. Finally - 'this' guy is on our team. He's athletic and elusive with decent arm strength - a great leader with tons of potential.

Reaction Score

jk
I mean it's a pretty fair comparison. Both are 5'10, dual threat QB's. We can point to Wilson as what we can get from Tyler Phommachanh if his development continues to grow.

Reaction Score

-> They’ve found a quarterback — from their own backyard, no less — to rally around, one capable of making plays and injecting life into a listless offense.

This is no surprise to his older brother Taisun, a sophomore quarterback at Clemson.“That’s just who he is. He always just had that natural kind of leadership about him ever since we were kids,” Taisun said. “He doesn’t try to be somebody he’s not. He’s just going to go out there and be himself, be that spark, be that live-energy teammate that he is.” <-

->If you’re shocked by how quickly he’s asserted himself, well, you shouldn’t be. “That’s what he does,” Taisun said. “He’s elusive, he’s fast, he’s strong. He can make plays with his feet.” <-

-> When asked about being more comfortable in his role, Tyler suggested the game has slowed down for him. “The last game, I was telling (quarterbacks coach Mike Moyseenko), ‘This is the most chill I’ve ever felt in a game.’ It was so weird,” Tyler said. “I’ve never been that chill. I just felt comfortable.”

Said Taisun, “He’s just going out there having fun. I love watching him play.”<-

Reaction Score
Down by one to Wyoming Tyler gunned the pass that was picked and they went up 8 when our D could not get a stop. Throwing that out of bounds would have been the smarter play but growing pains. Tyler Phommachanh no doubt shows confidence in his ability and is a concern for opposing defensive coordinators. He is on a different plain than QB's we have had the last few years and is worth the investment in playing time. When he pushes the run part of his game to the limit and pressures the D it will really open up the passing game.

Reaction Score
Seems like fixing that would take more than a little coaching. Scored touchdowns on one "surprise" play and one series with 3 legit pass interference calls (1st one was pretty stupid as UConn kid was no where near getting 1st down on 4th down).

Other than that 3 field goals.

As you noted, not so effective 2nd half passing.

Sure haven't seen his best game yet, also not sure have seen his worse game. Opponents now have some tape, he has trouble throwing over defenders, throws into coverage, can run option, throws over middle (which I see as good thing); good and not so good things.

Good thing is that he is going to get some run so we'll get to see how he progresses now that opponents can plan against what he does best while at same time UConn play calling is getting better/more aggressive and some skill players are making plays.

Vanderbilt should be a good test, they must have athletes on defense, even if not up to SEC standards and hopefully their offense is not so good that they put the game away early. I saw improvement in defense against Wyoming but lot of weak passing by their QB (but boy he could run).
He needs more reps to find his comfort zone to pass with better confidence. You’re observations that the O was hardly clicking by any stretch is true, but it does have a pulse. The RPO threat is just enough to give us some play making room. Steven Krajewski is a superior QB. It’s plainly obvious. Better arm. Better ball. Better accuracy. But he isn’t a real RPO threat and we don’t have the horses to support a conventional pocket QB. So, we go with what works. Tyler Phommachanh has some real talent, and if he is developed he will be a big piece of our future success.

Reaction Score
Down by one to Wyoming Tyler gunned the pass that was picked and they went up 8 when our D could not get a stop. Throwing that out of bounds would have been the smarter play but growing pains. Tyler Phommachanh no doubt shows confidence in his ability and is a concern for opposing defensive coordinators. He is on a different plain than QB's we have had the last few years and is worth the investment in playing time. When he pushes the run part of his game to the limit and pressures the D it will really open up the passing game.
He also had Carter underneath for a safer throw where it would have been Carter or an incomplete pass. But he is a true freshman, who was under duress much of the game and was being chased on that particular play as well. It is something that after he sees on film, hopefully he learns and doesn't repeat it.

Reaction Score
I think the Tyler Phommachanh-Russell Wilson comparison is a little premature, to say the least, but, for the record, Wilson played 4 years in college.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that would’ve been an 8 yard sack for Steven Krajewski. He escaped the pocket more times than Tyler Phommachanh He also stayed in it to take several hits (no happy feet) and picked up several key first downs with his legs and arm. I’m disappointed that they just Steven Krajewski under the bus after just one game. He waited his turn and they never gave him a fair shot.
I hope Steven Krajewski will be given a chance someday. Tyler Phommachanh is going to be a star, however, I think Steven Krajewski would be too. We might have a QB controversy next season. A good QB controversy not a bad QB controversy, to see what bad QB will start... :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think the Tyler Phommachanh-Russell Wilson comparison is a little premature, to say the least, but, for the record, Wilson played 4 years in college.

Wilson and Kyler Murray were both highly rated baseball players with cannons for arms. Arm strength is Tyler Phommachanh's biggest weakness right now. He throws a decent pass when he has his feet set and steps in to it but his arm strength isn't even average right now. Wilson and Murray could really put some zip on the ball, even as first year college players.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
On arm talent alone, I understand why he was buried on the depth chart. But in a year where we needed a spark, the fact he wasn’t even in the game plan (at the start of the season) as a duel threat change of pace was criminal.

Kid is a talented athlete. I think the plan for this year should be to let him get as many reps as possible from the pocket because he isn’t a great passer at this point and needs the reps.

He has legs but we don’t want him getting hit a ton running the ball is a meaningless season. Save that weaponry for next year. Protect his body and give the next HC afoundation to build his offense around.
Well, like I said, protect him at all costs. Goes down on a running play (which also gets taken off because of a pointless penalty). Unbelievable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, like I said, protect him at all costs. Goes down on a running play (which also gets taken off because of a pointless penalty). Unbelievable.
There goes the game and any competence. :(:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman