Tyler Phommachanh | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was thinking they might roll Tyler Phommachanh right and let him use his legs. I believe he if that pass gets to the receiver he scores.
Definitely need to run some sort of option play there. Going all in on a screen like that is not playing to our strengths

Reaction Score
Definitely need to run some sort of option play there. Going all in on a screen like that is not playing to our strengths
Even if the ball wasn’t tipped there were three defenders out there. Tough call. Disappointed with the play call Heartened by the progress this team is making. They are young but fighting and getting better

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Should we preserve TPhommachanh's redshirt? Not a fan of punting on a season but a 0-5 start with an interim headcoach and a bad o-line isn't really much to go off of. Having a talented starter locked in for the first 4 years of a competent head coach would be good

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Our best players are mostly freshman. It’s nice to see potential but they are closer to high school than fully developed. That’s not a knock - it’s just college football. We’ll be at our best when we can start seniors and juniors, and we can’t expect our frosh to hang against kids 3-4 years older than them. Next coach is gonna have to keep developing the potential year over year.

Reaction Score
Even if the ball wasn’t tipped there were three defenders out there. Tough call. Disappointed with the play call Heartened by the progress this team is making. They are young but fighting and getting better
Every aspect of the game was better! Play calling much better but a couple of bad series too many 2nd and tens or longer. Tyler was better much more under control and didn’t take as many bad hits as in the Army game. Made the right decision throwing some away under pressure. A bad decision on interception in 4th quarter threw into triple coverage which lead to Wyoming’s last touchdown. He will learn from this once he sees it on film.
The next four games are winnable! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Nate Carter, Keelan Marion, Aaron Turner. All freshman. Brian Brewton as well? Then you have Matt Drayton and Cam Ross hopefully back next year? That's a nice nucleus of young offensive guys. The next coach's 1st job has to be to recruit these guys to buy into what he wants to do.
Couldn’t agree more. Every good play yesterday Chief looked down at the program roster and a Freshman “Pivot Recruit” would be the guy making the play. A common denominator was speed and quite frankly being a football player type mentality, something that we lacked.
I am very proud of these young pups - let’s pray they turn into dwags at UConn.

Reaction Score
Puma is young and as a result makes his share of boneheaded plays. That said he has what the rest of the QB's on the roster do not have and that is legitimate FBS Talent. Kid can make plays with his arm and his feet and as a result he's opening things up for other teammates like Carter and Mensah. Hopefully his teammates will start making some plays for him. There were a few tough catches that could have been made that weren't. A couple more completions to extend a drive and his confidence is going to grow.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
On arm talent alone, I understand why he was buried on the depth chart. But in a year where we needed a spark, the fact he wasn’t even in the game plan (at the start of the season) as a duel threat change of pace was criminal.

Kid is a talented athlete. I think the plan for this year should be to let him get as many reps as possible from the pocket because he isn’t a great passer at this point and needs the reps.

He has legs but we don’t want him getting hit a ton running the ball is a meaningless season. Save that weaponry for next year. Protect his body and give the next HC afoundation to build his offense around.

Reaction Score
Should we preserve TPhommachanh's redshirt? Not a fan of punting on a season but a 0-5 start with an interim headcoach and a bad o-line isn't really much to go off of. Having a talented starter locked in for the first 4 years of a competent head coach would be good
Herm Edwards?: "You play to win the game!"
At this point in the season, you play the best players. It gives the next coach a showcase on film to assess recruiting needs. It allows the player to get better with game experience.
As I stated in another thread: Once you catch lightning in a bottle with a Flutie or Orlovsky, you don't look back.
AND: If Tyler's goal is to graduate in 4 years & move on to either the League or his professional aspirations in the real world, he's right on target.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every aspect of the game was better! Play calling much better but a couple of bad series too many 2nd and tens or longer. Tyler was better much more under control and didn’t take as many bad hits as in the Army game. Made the right decision throwing some away under pressure. A bad decision on interception in 4th quarter threw into triple coverage which lead to Wyoming’s last touchdown. He will learn from this once he sees it on film.
The next four games are winnable! Go Huskies!
You can totally see how a freshman would make that mistake. He was trying to make things happen. As you said, he’ll learn.

Reaction Score
Herm Edwards?: "You play to win the game!"
At this point in the season, you play the best players. It gives the next coach a showcase on film to assess recruiting needs. It allows the player to get better with game experience.
As I stated in another thread: Once you catch lightning in a bottle with a Flutie or Orlovsky, you don't look back.
AND: If Tyler's goal is to graduate in 4 years & move on to either the League or his professional aspirations in the real world, he's right on target.
Plus my understanding is everyone gets another year due to COVID. So really he will have 5 years to play regardless if he burns his redshirt this year or not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Plus my understanding is everyone gets another year due to COVID. So really he will have 5 years to play regardless if he burns his redshirt this year or not.
I thought that was for 2020-2021 season, not this year

Reaction Score
On arm talent alone, I understand why he was buried on the depth chart. But in a year where we needed a spark, the fact he wasn’t even in the game plan (at the start of the season) as a duel threat change of pace was criminal.

Kid is a talented athlete. I think the plan for this year should be to let him get as many reps as possible from the pocket because he isn’t a great passer at this point and needs the reps.

He has legs but we don’t want him getting hit a ton running the ball is a meaningless season. Save that weaponry for next year. Protect his body and give the next HC afoundation to build his offense around.

You are wrong about his arm talent. He had the best deep ball on the team and can make the other throws. His only drawback is height and he will have to often rollouts.

Reaction Score
Puma is young and as a result makes his share of boneheaded plays. That said he has what the rest of the QB's on the roster do not have and that is legitimate FBS Talent. Kid can make plays with his arm and his feet and as a result he's opening things up for other teammates like Carter and Mensah. Hopefully his teammates will start making some plays for him. There were a few tough catches that could have been made that weren't. A couple more completions to extend a drive and his confidence is going to grow.
His best trait that he's shown so far is pocket awareness. That's incredibly hard to teach and something the other QBs on the roster haven't shown. I think his awareness as a freshman is really impressive.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
His best trait that he's shown so far is pocket awareness. That's incredibly hard to teach and something the other QBs on the roster haven't shown. I think his awareness as a freshman is really impressive.
Second best trait- able to go threw his WR progression and always has his eyes downfield. Our other QBs tend to lock on one WR, sometimes telegraph throws and sometimes throw to the featured guy even when obviously covered.

Third best trait- calmly and confidently extends plays over and over again with this legs. Until we have a much better OL, our QB will have to be one that can dance and extend plays.

Thing to work on; sometimes he short arm/misfires.

Reaction Score
Second best trait- able to go threw his WR progression and always has his eyes downfield. Our other QBs tend to lock on one WR, sometimes telegraph throws and sometimes throw to the featured guy even when obviously covered.

Third best trait- calmly and confidently extends plays over and over again with this legs. Until we have a much better OL, our QB will have to be one that can dance and extend plays.

Thing to work on; sometimes he short arm/misfires.
his arm strength is the only concerning issue. but that can be improved through strength training and more importantly, mechanics. his footwork isn't great. The next HC has to have experience developing QBs or have an OC and/or QB coach that can develop QBs. Why we cheaped out in that department so many times over the last decade is beyond me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
his arm strength is the only concerning issue. but that can be improved through strength training and more importantly, mechanics. his footwork isn't great. The next HC has to have experience developing QBs or have an OC and/or QB coach that can develop QBs. Why we cheaped out in that department so many times over the last decade is beyond me.
Arm strength and durability given his frame.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
In the age of the 24/7 transfer portal - play the best players should on the field.

If a player develops to an NFL caliber they are gone in 3/4 years. Or player/family/agent thinks it is best to spend year 4/5 playing for a P5 team roster. Or there is an injury. Or there is a superior future recruit.

Concern about 2025 is not high on the list of concerns for UConn Husky Football.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I couldn’t believe that play call on the 2PC. There’s not enough room to have a successful screen pass down there.

Also still too many instances of handing the ball off 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. This offense is definitely starting to click though.

Agreed.

If you’re going to those, it’s gotta be out of the pistol so at least the back is already getting downhill before they get the ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Immediate needs for Tyler Phommachanh this year.

First option, look, go to second. If he can't "see" #2 or it's covered, take off.

Off season need is to improve accuracy on 10 yards or less routes. Have to be in numbers in stride.

Upper classmen years can worry about deep throws.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nate Carter, Keelan Marion, Aaron Turner. All freshman. Brian Brewton as well? Then you have Matt Drayton and Cam Ross hopefully back next year? That's a nice nucleus of young offensive guys. The next coach's 1st job has to be to recruit these guys to buy into what he wants to do.

You would think that would be at least somewhat attractive to a potential hc.

Plus some really nice facilities.

It’s still a tough job, but doing this without their top 2 receivers is definitely encouraging

Reaction Score
Of course not.

Reaction Score
Kid looked pretty good,gotta ask yourself did Edsall not use him?
He didn’t fit into Randy’s offense…this obviously isn’t the same offensive. Just wonder if they changed the offense for Tyler Phommachanh or changed the offense and picked him cause he was the best option for the new style. But Mazzone definitely has a huge part in the changes. Go with what works! I only see them improving as the season goes on and they playbook gets larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom