2022 Recruiting: - Ty Rodgers | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Ty Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
His original thread is locked but I saw some newsworthy information that I felt the need to make a new one for him. According to Michigan boards, (I follow as a UM football fan) they don't seems to not have room for Ty. Last I checked he took visits to UM, Purdue, and us, right? For anyone that has been following has there been any new threats in this race? Would love if that helped our chances even more here.

I'd link the info but it's behind a paywall.

Reaction Score
His original thread is locked but I saw some newsworthy information that I felt the need to make a new one for. According to Michigan boards, (I follow as a UM football fan) they don't seems to not have room for Ty. Last I checked he took visits to UM, Purdue, and us, right? For anyone that has been following has there been any new threats in this race? Would love if that helped our chances even more here.

I'd link the info but it's behind a paywall.
Official visit to Michigan State as well. I have zero clue what our chances are and where we stand with him, but I am a huge fan of his game he looks legit. If the staff could get a recruit like him to commit and namely leave the big 10 that would be a huge success.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Official visit to Michigan State as well. I have zero clue what our chances are and where we stand with him, but I am a huge fan of his game he looks legit. If the staff could get a recruit like him to commit and namely leave the big 10 that would be a huge success.
I'm a big fan too and would love to wrap our class up with him and Alex. This class can be a very long term class Hurley is putting together compared to past ones. Think AJax, Hawkins, and SJ are more guys with the potential to leave early... Good to balance with very talented long term guys.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan too and would love to wrap our class up with him and Alex. This class can be a very long term class Hurley is putting together compared to past ones. Think AJax, Hawkins, and SJ are more guys with the potential to leave early... Good to balance with very talented long term guys.

We aren't getting both Rodgers and Karaban. Same role on the team (except Rodgers can't shoot the rock at all).

Reaction Score
I’m curious, what were they saying on the UM board that you are referring too? Just that they won’t have enough scholarships for Rogers?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We aren't getting both Rodgers and Karaban. Same role on the team (except Rodgers can't shoot the rock at all).
Rogers looks like a true 3 and Karaban looks like he can play stretch 4, no? Ty can hoop regardless and seems to have a versatile game for them to be able to fit on the floor. Karaban looks like a senior year Giffey.

I’m curious, what were they saying on the UM board that you are referring too? Just that they won’t have enough scholarships for Rogers?
Yeah they have a small class this year and are loaded on the wing (took 6 guys last year) with Juwan's son aiming to take their last wing spot.

Reaction Score
Rogers looks like a true 3 and Karaban looks like he can play stretch 4, no? Ty can hoop regardless and seems to have a versatile game for them to be able to fit on the floor. Karaban looks like a senior year Giffey.

Karaban is more of a 3 than Rodgers is imo. Forget size: look at skills.

I'm not sold on Rodgers because he can't shoot. I am not sold on any player 1-4 that can't shoot. He's a talent, would love to have him if the coaches reeled him in still. But I am hesitant. He's a 6'6 version of Floyd sort of. Super tough and athletic... gotta love that.

Rodgers would never be able to play with Andre. He would either HAVE to play the 4, or we need to exclusively recruit kids who can shoot at the 4. Having a non-shooter at the 3 just limits your offense and what personnel you can put on the floor SO MUCH.

In comparison, with Karaban at the 3 or 4 you can play him with basically anyone because he isn't screwing up the spacing and gravity of the whole offensive structure.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Karaban is more of a 3 than Rodgers is imo. Forget size: look at skills.

I'm not sold on Rodgers because he can't shoot. I am not sold on any player 1-4 that can't shoot. He's a talent, would love to have him if the coaches reeled him in still. But I am hesitant. He's a 6'6 version of Floyd sort of. Super tough and athletic... gotta love that.

Rodgers would never be able to play with Andre. He would either HAVE to play the 4, or we need to exclusively recruit kids who can shoot at the 4. Having a non-shooter at the 3 just limits your offense and what personnel you can put on the floor SO MUCH.

In comparison, with Karaban at the 3 or 4 you can play him with basically anyone because he isn't screwing up the spacing and gravity of the whole offensive structure.

Just my opinion.
Yeah I’m not a shooting is the end all be all kind of guy. Also of the opinion this can be Andre’s last year as a husky and Rodgers would be a great replacement for him to play next to a Hawkins and Karaban. I don’t really see a one or the other situation here. Rodgers is more of a go to guy who can create for himself and others while Alex looks to play more off ball and has a much better post game from the limited film I’ve seen.

I don’t mind a non 3 point shooter as long as he knows how to get good shots and Ty seems like that. I don’t really want to compare the two because they have completely different skill sets that could be compatible with each other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not a shooting is the end all be all kind of guy. Also of the opinion this can be Andre’s last year as a husky and Rodgers would be a great replacement for him to play next to a Hawkins and Karaban. I don’t really see a one or the other situation here. Rodgers is more of a go to guy who can create for himself and others while Alex looks to play more off ball and has a much better post game from the limited film I’ve seen.

I don’t mind a non 3 point shooter as long as he knows how to get good shots and Ty seems like that. I don’t really want to compare the two because they have completely different skill sets that could be compatible with each other.

Just a difference in how we value players, I guess. I value shooters more than most on here. IMO it's the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most important skill any player (other than a center) can have.

I'd be shocked if Andre leaves this year FWIW. How many examples are there of guys going from 3/3/2 to the NBA? I will say that if anyone can, he has the profile to do it. And I certainly hope it does.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just a difference in how we value players, I guess. I value shooters more than most on here. IMO it's the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most important skill any player (other than a center) can have.

I'd be shocked if Andre leaves this year FWIW. How many examples are there of guys going from 3/3/2 to the NBA? I will say that if anyone can, he has the profile to do it. And I certainly hope it does.
It's important but it's also one of the easiest skills to develop. Shoot Julius Randle was a 41% shooter this past year and guys like Jimmy, Zion, and Giannas do fine without living by it. Again don't want to compare though I'd rather take both because they could need each other.

I'm with your last sentence. The talent is there, seems to have the work ethic, and the opportunity to fill the void Bouknight left as a playmaker is available. I don't think he needs to even be a 30% 3 point shooter for the NBA to view him as a lottery pick. Just look at Scottie Barnes and Jonathan Kuminga from this past year and Andre is a far superior athlete to both of those guys. Might be one of the best pure wing athletes coming out in years. If he can do the simple things, play defense, and show his ability to pass it's going to be his choice if he wants to pass up on the lottery or not imo.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
i want 4 shooters around clingan at all times (starting in 2023 since aj will prob be here as a junior)
I'd be scared to build any offense around DC but that's just me. This is not Hunter Dickenson we're talking about here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Do you really feel the need to bash Donovan Clingan every chance you get? It's becoming bizarre
That’s the first thing I’ve said since the locking of that thread. It’s bizarre that out of all the bigs we’ve had come through here this is the one that comments like that are made for. This game isn’t meant to be played around bigs nowadays in the first place unless they’re generational. It was also a reply to something I posted. You say that as if I came out of left field and looked for that comment.

This board is really sensitive over this kid man. It’s okay if he’s a project I promise. We’ve done just fine with plenty of them in the past. Shoot we LOVED Amida. He won us a chip.

Reaction Score
That’s the first thing I’ve said since the locking of that thread. It’s bizarre that out of all the bigs we’ve had come through here this is the one that comments like that are made for. This game isn’t meant to be played around bigs nowadays in the first place unless they’re generational. It was also a reply to something I posted. You say that as if I came out of left field and looked for that comment.

This board is really sensitive over this kid man. It’s okay if he’s a project I promise. We’ve done just fine with plenty of them in the past. Shoot we LOVED Amida. He won us a chip.
I think the issue was more that no one suggested running the offense through Clingan, but you jumped in to say why that was a bad idea anyways. Having as many shooters as possible on the floor is always a good idea in the modern college game, but if you have a 7+ footer who is a fantastic passer out of double teams, I don't think surrounding him with shooters should be a particularly controversial idea.

Reaction Score

I'd expect us to surround a center like that with shooters whether they were a 5 star #1 overall recruit or a 3 star #250 ranked recruit. It doesn't mean you're building around the center as a focal point, it's just putting everyone in the best position to succeed. There hasn't been 1 post suggesting we should run our offense through Donovan. There were calls all season to surround Sanogo with shooters when he was doubled, so this isn't a new or unique idea. More shooters is always a good thing, especially when the guy you're playing at the 5 is an exceptional passed who can exploit that

Reaction Score
I'd be scared to build any offense around DC but that's just me. This is not Hunter Dickenson we're talking about here.
i wasn't saying the O should be built around him, if by that you mean run through him, just that he isnt a shooter and i want 4 shooters on the floor at any given time.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When someone says put 4 shooters around someone it gives usually gives that notion. Like how you’d want to have four shooters around a Giannas or Lebron or a Dwight (prime). Wanting to recruit to fit one players needs in general gives off that notion. Shooters are important but having a guy in there that knows how to breakdown his defender, attack, and get his own basket is also important.

Reaction Score
Rodgers seems like a Tyrese Martin type player with more skill, at least according to his rankings. Understand Karban is the focus and signing both may not be practical but I would never say no to this type of player.

Reaction Score
When someone says put 4 shooters around someone it gives usually gives that notion.
the same can be said for aj. he needs to be surrounded by shooters but i'm certainly not advocating for us to run our O through a guy that just averaged 3ppg.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
When someone says put 4 shooters around someone it gives usually gives that notion. Like how you’d want to have four shooters around a Giannas or Lebron or a Dwight (prime). Wanting to recruit to fit one players needs in general gives off that notion. Shooters are important but having a guy in there that knows how to breakdown his defender, attack, and get his own basket is also important.
Nobody is saying run Don with 4 Tyler Polleys, you know what we're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom