Turn out the lights | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Turn out the lights

Reaction Score
the fake FG was probably the most entertaining play of the 3 hrs sitting in the stadium!

Followed by watching a coed unexpectedly hit 3 FGs during a tv timeout haha

Reaction Score

I’m a lax guy and former college lax coach, but i find today’s game lacks the physical nature that should remain a part of the game.

The guys today are extremely skilled, but god its a boring watch to me.

When people didnt know about lacrosse years ago id describe it as hockey on grass, now soccer with sticks.

Be a VERY long time until its a revenue generator at the collegiate level even as the new league started by Rabil has done very well (relatively speaking) for NBC and they are looking for ways to expand.

Football is actually been hurt more by lacrosse yuan any other sport - specialization runs amok in lacrosse with year around teams, coaches telling kids theyll never get exposure unless they play on this or thay teams all while feathering their own nest.

Sorry rant over.

Reaction Score

I’m a lax guy and former college lax coach, but i find today’s game lacks the physical nature that should remain a part of the game.

When people didnt know about lacrosse years ago id describe it as hockey on grass, now soccer with sticks.

Be a VERY long time until its a revenue generator at the collegiate level even as the new league started by Rabil has done very well (relatively speaking) for NBC and they are looking for ways to expand.

Football is actually been hurt more by lacrosse yuan any other sport - specialization runs amok in lacrosse with year around teams, coaches telling kids theyll never get exposure unless they play on this or thay teams all while feathering their own nest.

Sorry rant over.
I played Lacrosse for years, fun to play and pretty boring to watch. When I played 20 or so years ago people were saying it was the fastest growing sport and it was going to be huge collegiately and professionally...

Reaction Score

Sorry rant over.

It’s too easy to maintain possession and there is too much scoring.

It’s fun play but not great fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I played Lacrosse for years, fun to play and pretty boring to watch. When I played 20 or so years ago people were saying it was the fastest growing sport and it was going to be huge collegiately and professionally...
They've been saying the same thing about soccer for decades too.

Reaction Score
We've been through a lot of bad seasons and a lot of bad losses, but for some reason, this loss today hit me worse than any other that I can remember. There just doesn't seem to be a way to resurrect this program. Maybe it was the cheap kick in the groin from USF when we were down at the end. I was actually embarrassed to be a UConn fan this afternoon and I haven't felt that way in the last 18 years that I've been coming to watch them. I don't think I was alone because there seemed to be a different look on the faces of everyone as we were leaving the Stadium after the name.
I agree. I was embarrassed today. And I feel like this was the proverbial straw. There was a big family sitting in front of me at the game. And before they left in the 3 quarter, they asked me to take their picture. It was clearly a current student attending UConn and her extended family. I asked if she was a student and she confirmed. I didn’t even want to tell her I have 2 degrees from UConn. As an alumni, I was too embarrassed. So sad.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I agree. I was embarrassed today. And I feel like this was the proverbial straw. There was a big family sitting in front of me at the game. And before they left in the 3 quarter, they asked me to take their picture. It was clearly a current student attending UConn and her extended family. I asked if she was a student and she confirmed. I didn’t even want to tell her I have 2 degrees from UConn. As an alumni, I was too embarrassed. So sad.
You're embarrassed to be a dual degree alumni because of the football team?

Not me. Not in a million years.

Reaction Score

Sorry rant over.
Except in soccer there is too little scoring and in lacrosse too much. Btw, hockey is a shadow of its former self. Make a good clean hit these days and it is a major.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A whole plethora of reasons the team is where it is
Previous regimes
DB the db
UConn has boys on the field playing a man's game
RE is coaching like he has an unbeaten team and every play is a critical play - play it safe - I say BS
Going Indy is going to be a joke
Time to either cut the program or put a lot more money into it - plain and simple
Do I blame RE? he has a small part in it
It's all on the db DB - that is the guy that has to go - NOW before he screws something else up
I don't want to hear crap about he got DH here - Calhoun played the biggest part in that and even without JC, DH went with the only logical option he had at that time.

Reaction Score
I went to the Central CT vs SHU game today in Fairfield. Spoke to some alumni from both fans that saw my UConn shirt that said “we’re UConn fans but damn, both these teams can beat you...”. embarrassing.

Been a season ticket holder for football, basketball etc throughout the years...cut the football program and put the money into basketball. It’s never going to get back to what it was due to a lack of a conference (AAC isn’t the answer), the region, funds, interest, etc. UConn gave it a great 20 year try, just not worth it. We are a basketball school, stick to that. Football is dead.

Sad part is for first time I said I’d rather be 6-6 against FCS than 1-11 against FBS.

Reaction Score
Also, to the people saying we couldn’t get anyone better than Edsall, I call bullspit.

Give me a young offensive minded coach who will at least play aggressive and make UConn football an exciting product if nothing else.

Thousands of FCS Head Coaches or FBS coordinators out there that would take an FBS HC Job.

I said that many times after Edsall left the first time. Instead they hire "Retread" Pasqualoni and defensive "genious" Bobby Boy Diaco, then when the program needs an exciting product lkke oxygen, it hires Randyzzzzzz-zzzzzzzz.

Reaction Score
If SMU can come back from the death penalty and win their first game being ranked being down 30-9 at the beginning of the third quarter, there's hope. Might not be in some of our lifetimes.

Still can't believe UConn never beat SMU in football.

Reaction Score
As I was driving 50 minutes from New Haven to East Hartford, all I could think of what a waste of time and money this would be on a beautiful Saturday. Sure, the tailgate is nice, but once again, a horrific game of football losing to a terrible team. No hope of ever really getting better. It feels like I'm just watching the slow, agonizing death of the football program.

I could do literally anything else with my Saturday. Lawn work. At least then it would be productive.

I just don't know if I have it in me to keep going.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
As I was driving 50 minutes from New Haven to East Hartford, all I could think of what a waste of time and money this would be on a beautiful Saturday. Sure, the tailgate is nice, but once again, a horrific game of football losing to a terrible team. No hope of ever really getting better. It feels like I'm just watching the slow, agonizing death of the football program.

I could do literally anything else with my Saturday. Lawn work. At least then it would be productive.

I just don't know if I have it in me to keep going.

I couldn’t even do my yard work without this team ruining it, as our radio affiliate didn’t broadcast the game. (WICC)

Reaction Score
So a lot of these recruits we got had fcs or low tier football teams going after them what do you expect. We need to start recruiting with all the rest but unfortunately we can’t because no top recruit wants to come to this mess. It’s a mess right now but I believe we come out on top. It’s going to take longer than expected
Really?
What 4 or 5 star recruit would ever.....EVER consider this TRAIN WRECK?
This is the best you're ever going to get.
It's plainly evident that UC football was, is, and always will be second class. It's also evident that posters, even some of the most optimistic ones have finally come to the realization that the program, on life support for so long, is finally FLAT LINED. How much more time, effort, and MONEY, is going to be poured down a black hole. What recruit from a top high school program, is going to consider spending 4 years at a moribund program, when your only victories are against the likes of the Wagner's of college football? If UC is going to consider to play football, acknowledge the fact that it's Not going to be the best of the country. Return to the days of the Yankee conference, and opponents that you have the chance of beating. Face it UC started late in top college football game, and have never caught up.
The experiment is OVER!
Accept it, and move on.
Visions and dreams of a Big Time Bowl game, and an appearance at the national championship games are just that
DREAMS.
Dreams, that in UCONNS case will never.....repeat NEVER come true.

Reaction Score
The AAC didn’t work out for UConn. Change is good when you are at the bottom, and independence is a chance for a new start and a new direction.

There is nothing to lose at this point and nothing to hang onto of the AAC.

I look forward to UConn making the most of this new start and rebuilding a competitive program.

Reaction Score
You're embarrassed to be a dual degree alumni because of the football team?

Not me. Not in a million years.
Yeah, I didn’t express what I was feeling correctly. Of course, I am very proud to have earned an undergrad and masters from a great school like UConn. I guess I wanted students to also be proud to have a great athletic department too. I have a daughter the same age who just graduated from Notre Dame. She has already been back to South Bend for a game and is going next week (she lives in Chicago now). I know we will never be in the same class as Notre Dame’s AD. But I was hoping we could have a football program that is at least not an embarrassment.

Anyway, I agree with others on this thread. Just better things to do on the weekend than supporting a program that just keeps going backwards.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On the surface that sounds good, but good luck trying to get grad transfers if they know they'll be sitting the rest of the season after a bad start. And juniors heading into their senior season might be more apt to hit the portal too ...

Other than maybe kickers/punters, I'm not sold on the idea of actually needing grad xfers with the state of this program. Mostly because it doesn't seem we're getting grad xfers with any value other than depth. I'll buy your point on juniors, but that's taking my point to an extreme. The current seniors are Diaco products. I may be perfectly OK with RE playing his own guys once they're seniors. If they can actually play.

RE can still get some guys (e.g. Steven Krajewski, Ross) who can play at this level. Lines and LBs will probably continue to be undersized and/or slow given the pickings left to sign here. So schemes matter. Which means coaching. College coaching in particular. Lashlee figured that out by going up tempo. Stop being predictable. Throw away any pretense of trying to run a "pro style" offense because you don't (and won't) get the personnel to do that.

Let's try to have fun instead. If we're gonna lose, at least make it exciting. Take risks. Let the handful of playmakers you do have actually make more plays.

Reaction Score
Yesterday in a nut shell:
-got to the Mobil station at 8:30 to group with the tailgating crew. We all got sworn at for clogging the lanes by a "fan" driving a pickup with N.Y. plates. (portent of things to come?)-figured he'd been on the road too long & was blowing off steam.
-High point of the day: tailgating & toasting the memory of Waquoit's Mom
-When it was clear (mid 2nd quarter) that UConn had no business on the playing field, the guys in our crew went "exploring" the various kiosks. Taste tested various brews not available near section 103. As the hockey schedule revealed that UConn is at home to UMass on Feb. 28th, AND, that that is family birthday week for ME, son-in-law, daughter, brother, & nephew, the subject on buying tix to THAT game & season tickets next season came up. Then the inevitable: We went to Husky Mania & bought out the white Hockey shirts using the 25% off game day coupon from the season ticket booklet.
-Post game tailgate: bitched & moaned over libations about the product on the field
-"the Yankees win, the YANKEES WIIIIINNN!"
-got invited to & ALMOST fell asleep at friend's campfire down the street
-fell asleep at 10:30 in my easy chair watching DVRed "The Black List" (Will rewatch this evening)
All in all, a great day marred bya UConn football noncontest.

R.I.P. Ginger Baker!

Reaction Score
I couldn’t even do my yard work without this team ruining it, as our radio affiliate didn’t broadcast the game. (WICC)
Not to worry, I got some yard work done, did manage to pull in the Willimantic radio station, and still had the day turned to crap. Kinda hard to do on a spectacular day like yesterday, but instead of finishing the yard work I cracked a beer and watched Florida-Auburn as I fumed. The only saving grace? That I had not bought a ticket and driven over to the Rent to see the unfolding disaster in person. I was feeling very guilty for awhile ... but then, not so much. :(

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter at this point. Benedict & the UConn brass are letting the program die a gradual, painful death. That was clearly apparent when they returned basketball & the other olympic sports to the NBE. Wasn't necessarily the wrong move, but it was definitely the final fatal blow for football. Save the brand, and the brand is basketball. Think they'd even listen to the fans' frustrations about football anyway and take it seriously? Forget it. Games like yesterday are what we'll get until December. After that . . . the program will be put on a small raft and sent floating without oars into the South Pacific.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom