Tuck applies for medical hardship. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tuck applies for medical hardship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
She will undergo surgery and is done for the season (LINK).
Ms. Chong has lacked confidence of late

What evidence would make you say that?

crystal-ball.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm worried about Morgan, less so about the team. I hope this is a procedure that will finally make her 100%. I know it was a hard decision, but commend her for making it. I want Morgan to play, because she loves the game and is so good. I firmly believe that her smarts, versatility, and ability to defend make her potentially one of the best players in the country and a possible Olympian.

As noted, this reduces the margin for error this season, but we may be Ok anyway.

Some positives:

Most importantly, it may be the only way for Morgan to get to 100%.

It gives Kiah more PT and experience.

It gives us more post depth in 2016-17.

Morgan can be the first player to win FIVE national championships.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This seems to be the best decision for Morgan and her future career at UConn and beyond. This an elite athlete with All-American status and the potential for some big paydays in her future. Much more to consider than UConn's current season. Definitely NOT good news for this year's UConn team. As has been said over and over, it reduces the margin of error.

I think we have only seen the barest glimmer of what a healthy Morgan can be. Here's hoping for a SPECTACULAR and healthy 3rd, 4th and 5th year for her.

Good luck and good health, Morgan.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm worried about Morgan, less so about the team. I hope this is a procedure that will finally make her 100%. I know it was a hard decision, but commend her for making it. I want Morgan to play, because she loves the game and is so good. I firmly believe that her smarts, versatility, and ability to defend make her potentially one of the best players in the country and a possible Olympian.

As noted, this reduces the margin for error this season, but we may be Ok anyway.

Some positives:

Most importantly, it may be the only way for Morgan to get to 100%.

It gives Kiah more PT and experience.

It gives us more post depth in 2016-17.

Morgan can be the first player to win FIVE national championships.

I'm worried about Morgan too. The injury won't go away without surgery and there are no guarantees that the surgical procedure will work.

The so-called OATS procedure has replaced microfracture as the surgery of choice for damaged cartilage. Sounds like Morgan will have an autograft rather than allograft (cadaver). This presents the additional issue of hoping the area from which the cartilage is removed is not compromised in a way that affects her ability to play. I wonder where she'll have this done and whether Dr Arciero has done this type of surgery before.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Feel so sorry for Morgan. What a bummer. She's in for a long spring and summer.

After doing some reading on this procedure it seems she will be on crutches for 6-12 weeks followed by a lengthy period of physical therapy.

Praying for you Morgan!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
pap49cba said:

After doing some reading on this procedure it seems she will be on crutches for 6-12 weeks followed by a lengthy period of physical therapy.

Praying for you Morgan!

That's an awfully long time to be on crutches. Wow.

Reaction Score
Morgan just can't seem to catch a break. Things were starting to look up for her. I believe she scored 19 points in the last game she played. I wish her the best of luck. Get well Morgan and come back that much stronger next year, the team really needs you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm worried about Morgan too. The injury won't go away without surgery and there are no guarantees that the surgical procedure will work.

The so-called OATS procedure has replaced microfracture as the surgery of choice for damaged cartilage. Sounds like Morgan will have an autograft rather than allograft (cadaver). This presents the additional issue of hoping the area from which the cartilage is removed is not compromised in a way that affects her ability to play. I wonder where she'll have this done and whether Dr Arciero has done this type of surgery before.
I love it when you talk in medical terms. :)

When I see Morgan, I'll give her a Sharpie and ask for an autograft.

Reaction Score

Remember that we were the worriers who said that KML might not be back for a long time with that nerve injury. Morgan is in good hands and good shape. I think she will come back on schedule and leave these knee problems behind her.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My thoughts its a no brainer. She's not playing now and most likely wont see much playtime so to red shirt her is what's best. She needs to get healthy and that will take time and she needs to get her game back. This is the right move plus we will have her one more year where she can shine.

As a team we need to stay out of foul trouble and for most of this season we have. That shouldn't be a concern. Hey we won without Tuck and KML in 5 big games. This is the right decision .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ms. Chong has lacked confidence of late. I believe it has to do with MoJet's assertiveness than anything else. Saniya is an incredibly talented ball player and when she steps out, she will be solidly one of the UConn greats. Don't get me wrong, MoJet is unreal, but try to be a frosh playing in her shadow. It's something she'll have to get over.

Do you have a chair or a couch for your patients? What do you charge per hour? Jungian or Freudian? Chong comes in and gives solid minutes. Right now her role is not to be a scoring machine, but as Geno has noted a number of times, that aspect of her game is there, just waiting.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From one of the ortho sites I looked at (there were numerous identical quotes):

After the OATS procedure, patients will need to undergo a lengthy physical therapy program in order to restore range of motion and relieve pain and swelling on the joint. Most patients will be on crutches for 6 to 12 weeks after surgery before they can successfully bear weight on the joint again. Long-term follow-up care will be required in order to maintain the results of this procedure.

Reaction Score
Brianna was imo our most improved player last year till the acl and even though she recovered enough to play at the start this season that injury takes a long time to come back from and she is still tentative which is to be expected. Hopefully gets the ankle better and some more rest and rehab on that knee to return to where she left off last season. This kid is a hard nosed player and the team is going to really need her going forward. Good luck with that surgery morgan and look forward to seeing you back 100% sometime next season.

Reaction Score

Praying for you Morgan!
Me too, but overall it should be better that riding the bench every two years for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
My thoughts its a no brainer. She's not playing now and most likely wont see much playtime so to red shirt her is what's best. She needs to get healthy and that will take time and she needs to get her game back. This is the right move plus we will have her one more year where she can shine.

As a team we need to stay out of foul trouble and for most of this season we have. That shouldn't be a concern. Hey we won without Tuck and KML in 5 big games. This is the right decision .

And the real silver lining [I hope] is the motivation now for Kiah to take her game to the next level. She should now feel how much the team needs her.

Reaction Score
And the real silver lining [I hope] is the motivation now for Kiah to take her game to the next level. She should now feel how much the team needs her.
Agree. Kiah will finally get a chance to play extended minutes and I would think Geno will be a little more forgiving if she makes a mistake and resist the urge to yank her. I am very confident that she is going to come up really big from here on out.
Best wishes for Morgan and her pending surgery.

Reaction Score
It's been 4.5 years. Her knee will never be back to full health.

Blessings to all. I think this is an excellent decision and prayerfully hope it will return her to full health next season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's been 4.5 years. Her knee will never be back to full health.
4.5 years? I didn't mean 100% of her past but full health as in the best possible outcome without further complications.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Morgan just can't seem to catch a break. Things were starting to look up for her. I believe she scored 19 points in the last game she played. I wish her the best of luck. Get well Morgan and come back that much stronger next year, the team really needs you.

Yes, 19 points in 13 minutes, very productive.

I'm sorry to hear it is necessary, wishing her a complete and speedy recovery.

Reaction Score
prayers up for Tuck. she looked REALLY good when not injured. she has a killer 3 point shot for a forward with her size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom