Tuck applies for medical hardship. | The Boneyard

Tuck applies for medical hardship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have mixed feeling! On the bright side it could be the best decision she has ever made. Thanks for the update!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I have mixed feeling! On the bright side it could be the best decision she has ever made. Thanks for the update!
It's likely the best decision for Morgan AND the UConn team, as Geno now has more options after this season in the post. Will it hurt UConn this season? Well, it certainly doesn't strengthen the team, but they are already favorites this year. Foul trouble is still a concern, but the team has adapted very well to that possibility by playing exceptionally disciplined defense. Even though I am an Irish fan, I think this is best for UConn in the long term.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good for you Morgan!

Get the surgery you need, get healthy, and come back stronger than ever!

UCONN fans support you and your decision.

Many might say this leaves us short but during tournament time a rotation of 8 is solid.

Kiah, Brianna, and Saniya are good off the bench. I remember a tourney run where we only really used Lorin Dixon and Mclaren of the bench. We are strong! We are UCONN STRONG!!!

Reaction Score
And the margin for error this season gets even smaller. A core of 6 with 2 ok subs, and then 2 non-scholly. Time for Chong to grow up fast.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And the margin for error this season gets even smaller. A core of 6 with 2 ok subs, and then 2 non-scholly. Time for Chong to grow up fast.

Chong's defense is mightily improved, her passing is as good as it gets (elicited some wows in the last game).
A little more confidence in her lethal 3 and she'll be fine.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No Banks tomorrow because of her ankle. I suspect this speaks more to the importance of making sure she is completely healthy when she plays than about the severity of the injury.

Big-time opportunity for Kiah Stokes.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wonder if the walk-ons will get more minutes?
They just might be able to keep up.

Reaction Score
Ms. Chong has lacked confidence of late. I believe it has to do with MoJet's assertiveness than anything else. Saniya is an incredibly talented ball player and when she steps out, she will be solidly one of the UConn greats. Don't get me wrong, MoJet is unreal, but try to be a frosh playing in her shadow. It's something she'll have to get over.

Reaction Score
With due respect our 7 & 8 are better than the 7 & 8 of all but 2 or 3 teams. And they are on a par with those. If we have no more injuries I'm not worried at all about depth.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Morgan, "they take plug of cartilage from a non-wearing part of my knee and place it in the spot where it is missing."

The missing cartilage must be the reason for the recurring bruising of the bone.

John A also correctly points out that the application for a medical hardship will occur after the season (i.e., the thread title is a little off the mark).

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Just curious - as almost everyone on this board knows Geno's methods better than I do - why wouldn't Geno give more minutes to the walk-ons when the lead is huge and there's 5-10 minutes to go? What am I overlooking? (Yeah, I know, "eight championship banners on the wall.")

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ms. Chong has lacked confidence of late. I believe it has to do with MoJet's assertiveness than anything else. Saniya is an incredibly talented ball player and when she steps out, she will be solidly one of the UConn greats. Don't get me wrong, MoJet is unreal, but try to be a frosh playing in her shadow. It's something she'll have to get over.

I think even Bria had some problems with that…over it now

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno per JA: [Morgan] won't be able to do anything for 6 months; not as "cut and dried" as an ACL procedure:

LINK

Hopefully if her recovery goes well, she will be able to use a good part of the summer and fall to get back into shape and shake off the rust. Best wishes for a complete recovery!

Reaction Score
Sounds like she's never going to be 100%. It's too bad, she was very highly rated, has a very diverse game, and has a great head on her shoulders. I don't think we're ever going to see Morgan at her full potential.

Reaction Score
This is pretty concerning news. This team is 1 more injury from being in some trouble.

Obviously Kiah will need to play a large role off the bench. Dolson will need to not do what she's done against Baylor.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You can just about hear the gears grinding in Jeff Waltz's brain:

How can I get a few of them in early foul trouble?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well I'm not surprised. For all the worry warts, UCONN pretty much rolled over Maryland and PSU when Morgan AND Kaleena were out. Now that Kaleena is back, and hopefully the fitness lapses are in her rear view mirror, it gives the team time to practice offense and defense with a core group of 8.

Best wishes to Morgan for a full and complete recovery. She will effectively be part of Saniya's class now, which isn't a bad thing.

Sr: Stokes, Banks, KML
Jr; Jefferson and Stewie
So: Tuck and Chong
Fr: Ekmark, Edwards, Williams, Nurse

I disagree that we have a core of 6 and 2 OK subs. Kiah has been fantastic at times, and Brianna played marvelously when Morgan AND Kaleena were out. Saniya is a freshman and has looked terrific at times, even to the point of running the team as the 1 when Mo and Bria are on the bench. Margin of error smaller? Sure. Core of 8 is more than other teams have had in winning NC's in the past...

Reaction Score
No guarantee, but I expect either Banks and/or Chong to step up their play now that they will really be needed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just curious - as almost everyone on this board knows Geno's methods better than I do - why wouldn't Geno give more minutes to the walk-ons when the lead is huge and there's 5-10 minutes to go? What am I overlooking? (Yeah, I know, "eight championship banners on the wall.")
They are not capable with elite skill and athleticism wise to contribute in a significant way with the demands more minutes in the heat of the top flight competition require. That is not necessarily something that can be addressed with more game minutes or experience if certain physical and skill attributes are not there. Remember they were largely brought onto the team to contribute to enable practice on the road between two units. None of this is a criticism of their importance or the hard they contribute to the team.

Edit add on: they will continue to get the same late game minutes they presently get, most likely starting at the last media time out.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree about the importance of getting Tuck completely healed, and also of having a two-person soph class. Given that she is hurt, this is a win-win. If Tuck heals, Chong and Tuck....will be an amazing duo. Nip and Tuck means "So close that the advantage or lead shifts from one to another and is virtually indeterminable." Then with the freshies, and the possbility of some bigs, we are going to continue the legacy. We are so lucky, and given that Morgan is injured, this is as good as it gets. Blessings upon her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom