Tua | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tua

Reaction Score
They are clearly going to adjust the protocols to state that any stumble, stagger, fall, etc is going to mean the player can not return and must enter the protocol. Had that already been in place, this discussion would not even be happening. This feels like it is going to come back that the consultant either botched the examination somehow, or Tua passed it, but the consultant still should have pumped the brakes on a return in the name of safety. I think they are interviewing Tua today or tomorrow, so it should be interesting to hear his accounting of the events.

Tua is also out for this week's game. His tests, scans, etc have reportedly come back clean, but he still has to go through a supervised return to activity schedule before he can return.

Reaction Score
If an independent neurologist cleared him, follow up tests came back clean and Tua wanted to play, what else are you to do? Sure you can say the team should make him sit, but if all parties agree a player is fine and the player willingly agrees to play, why would a team say no to that? Liability? The NFL/franchises have a liability risk every time the ball is snapped.

It’s a violent game and the players all know this. At some point a grown man needs to make a decision - if I got my brains scrambled should I sit out or keep playing? If I keep playing I risk even more damage. If I sit out someone can potentially take my job.

It’s a tough decision to be in. For some players they take the risk, for others they walk away.

Reaction Score
If an independent neurologist cleared him, follow up tests came back clean and Tua wanted to play, what else are you to do? Sure you can say the team should make him sit, but if all parties agree a player is fine and the player willingly agrees to play, why would a team say no to that? Liability? The NFL/franchises have a liability risk every time the ball is snapped.

It’s a violent game and the players all know this. At some point a grown man needs to make a decision - if I got my brains scrambled should I sit out or keep playing? If I keep playing I risk even more damage. If I sit out someone can potentially take my job.

It’s a tough decision to be in. For some players they take the risk, for others they walk away.
This isn't difficult, when a player clearly has a head injury you pull him out of the game and don't let him back on the field. It can't be up to the person who has the head injury to make a decision on whether to play or not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't even think the concussions are directly related to Thursday games, but 2 weeks in a row is gonna get people talking even more
Three weeks in a row brings the strongly worded letter.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Don't even think the concussions are directly related to Thursday games, but 2 weeks in a row is gonna get people talking even more

Really tough to watch. These seem like vicious concussions too on “non-vicious” (targeting type) hits. NFL needs to figure out why ASAP.

Reaction Score
Really tough to watch. These seem like vicious concussions too on “non-vicious” (targeting type) hits. NFL needs to figure out why ASAP.
Not blaming these on this at all, but is a curious thing to look into. One of the knocks against those helmet concussion covers that they use in practices was that it could teach some bad habits & guys would be more inclined to contact with the helmet based off what they could do in practice. Thought it was interesting at the time it was said

Reaction Score
Tua makes his return this week against Pittsburgh. Strangely enough, Kenny Pickett is in the concussion protocol but Tomlin has said he will start as long as he clears it. If something should happen to Pickett this week, I will be curious to see how it is covered, especially since the NFLPA report didn't show anything out of the ordinary in the Tua situation following the Buffalo game.

This whole thing is a mess. With the new protocols in place now, Pickett can practice, but Teddy Bridgewater could not because a spotter thought they saw something in his game against the Jets. None of it makes sense, and I wonder what happens the first time some spotter sees, or thinks they see something in a big playoff game.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Did a double take on tubing. But as it turns out, towed water tubing is indeed the cause of many head injuries to children. Regular old river tubing is fine.

Who knew there's less risk of getting drilled in the noggin by a fastball than having your cheerleading teammates miss catching you?
Water doesn’t get soft until you’re going under 30 mph give or take. I remember this well from when I was a kid skittering along the surface of the water like a skipped stone.

Reaction Score
A lawyer I met while at bar talking about Tua said don’t be surprised when Tua has a LARGE lawsuit against the NFL after his days are done playing (which may be sooner than later)

I think he has a valid point

Reaction Score
F8C87FEE-A56F-4576-B04A-D6A390825E10.jpeg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did a double take on tubing. But as it turns out, towed water tubing is indeed the cause of many head injuries to children. Regular old river tubing is fine.

Who knew there's less risk of getting drilled in the noggin by a fastball than having your cheerleading teammates miss catching you?
I'm surprised the soccer percentage is not higher. The ball is traveling with significant pace on most headers and something has to give.

I'm also moderately surprised about tubing. My guess is the majority of injuries occur with non-commercial boat operators, going as fast as the boat will allow. I went tubing with my kids in August on a commercial charter in the bayside of Ocean City, NJ. It was a great time, but I doubt we ever got above 20 or so MPH.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised the soccer percentage is not higher. The ball is traveling with significant pace on most headers and something has to give.

I'm also moderately surprised about tubing. My guess is the majority of injuries occur with non-commercial boat operators, going as fast as the boat will allow. I went tubing with my kids in August on a commercial charter in the bayside of Ocean City, NJ. It was a great time, but I doubt we ever got above 20 or so MPH.
The ball is cushioned, and most head injuries come from impact to the back of the head, which rarely happens in soccer

Husky25

Reaction Score
The ball is cushioned, and most head injuries come from impact to the back of the head, which rarely happens in soccer
True, but by (admittedly loose) definition, all air filled balls are a cushion. All helmets are cushioned as well. It doesn't mean that there is not an opposite and equal reaction when that cushion strikes the skull.

OTOH (and to your point), It probably also depends on what timeframe that chart is based. Headers are a foul and free-kick for the opposition for many youth leagues under 10 years old, at a minimum. Headers weren't fouls when I was growing up.

I am also more inclined to believe that "minor" concussions are under reported in soccer.

Reaction Score
True, but by (admittedly loose) definition, all air filled balls are a cushion. All helmets are cushioned as well. It doesn't mean that there is not an opposite and equal reaction when that cushion strikes the skull.

OTOH (and to your point), It probably also depends on what timeframe that chart is based. Headers are a foul and free-kick for the opposition for many youth leagues under 10 years old, at a minimum. Headers weren't fouls when I was growing up.

I am also more inclined to believe that "minor" concussions are under reported in soccer.
Yes, but the impact of helmet to helmet is much more severe and forceful than head to ball. The only time you see a soccer player go down from ball to head contact is when they are blocking a shot that is traveling at a high speed. The angles that a player connects with a ball off of a corner/free kick are often not pure contact. And headers in the run of play are usually off of balls with high arch's.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes, but the impact of helmet to helmet is much more severe and forceful than head to ball. The only time you see a soccer player go down from ball to head contact is when they are blocking a shot that is traveling at a high speed. The angles that a player connects with a ball off of a corner/free kick are often not pure contact. And headers in the run of play are usually off of balls with high arch's.

Totally understand, and I'm not saying that the ball is traveling at terminal velocity on all occasions. There is definitely significant pace, however, which is why I also insinuate that most low grade concussions get dismissed as a slight headache and go unreported.

Heck, I could have had a concussion getting out of the boat in August, but just chalked it up to being dehydrated and hungover. It doesn't take away from the fact that fear of concussions are the reason that headers are on par with handballs in many youth organizations around the country...Ironic that all the while, tackle football is being played by a similar age group right down the road.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Totally understand, and I'm not saying that the ball is traveling at terminal velocity on all occasions. There is definitely significant pace, however, which is why I also insinuate that most low grade concussions get dismissed as a slight headache and go unreported.
I got a concussion playing intramural soccer at UConn. I don't know if they still do it this way, but back in the 70s the rules were that the goal wasn't as wide as an official soccer goal, but the goalie couldn't use their hands. So in an OT game where we went up 1-0 during the OT shootout (five attempts per side), I blocked a shot high to my right with my left temple while my right temple crashed into the metal tubular goal post.

I came to my senses while being tossed in the air in celebration of the win. It was terrifying, lol.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hope Tomlin knows what he's doing. Trubisky has taken zero snaps with the first team this week, so seems it's a foregone conclusion Pickett will start. OTOH, reporters who were at practices are unanimous is saying if you didn't know Pickett was still in protocol you wouldn't think he was. Apparently his practices have been great. But all it takes is one shot as everyone in Pittsburgh knows from Sidney Crosby's concussion history.

Reaction Score
Hope Tomlin knows what he's doing. Trubisky has taken zero snaps with the first team this week, so seems it's a foregone conclusion Pickett will start. OTOH, reporters who were at practices are unanimous is saying if you didn't know Pickett was still in protocol you wouldn't think he was. Apparently his practices have been great. But all it takes is one shot as everyone in Pittsburgh knows from Sidney Crosby's concussion history.
There were no issues with Tua when he was checked, returned to, and after the Buffalo game. Then Cincy happened. With all the outrage about that situation, I'm just surprised this hasn't been much of a story. I'm really going to be curious to see how they call the hits on the quarterbacks in this game. If ever there was a game where the QB's "needed to be protected", it's this one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A lawyer I met while at bar talking about Tua said don’t be surprised when Tua has a LARGE lawsuit against the NFL after his days are done playing (which may be sooner than later)

I think he has a valid point
Tua won't win. He's returing to the field voluntarily and the NFL doesn't lose these cases.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Saw Tua in an interview this past week. I swear he is oblivious to the danger of concussions. Said a player's window is short and that he does not want to be connected to any future, upgraded concussion protocols.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom