True Motives of Selection Committee | The Boneyard

True Motives of Selection Committee

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty clear that unlike the men's tournament, the true motives of the women's selection committee are as follows

1) Do anything possible to increase excitement.
2) Make the UConn run for a 5th consecutive championship as challenging as possible.

No one outside the UConn fanbase wants us towin the NC in a depleted year especially with the new toys we are getting in the 2017/2018 recruiting classes which favors another run of NC's

To do this, I believe the selection committee will do / say anything to somehow get Md and Tenn into the Bridgeport regional.

A UConn / Tenn game to get to the round of 16 and an elite 8 matchup of MD / UConn will accomplish the committee's underlying goals better than any other scenario.

Since I am of the camp which says "We will play anyone anytime anywhere", I personally would enjoy the competition (Think of the glory) but I know many here would hate it and cry foul.

Since I have no evidence, it is just an opinion. Feel free to ridicule but the truth will be revealed in an hour.:rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tennessee? Undisciplined teams do not fare well vs the Huskies. I'm more fearful of Baylor.

Not counting the final 4 where interest and competition is naturally high.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If it's an opinion, then don't start off with "it's pretty clear that ..."
Meant to say pretty clear to me. Sorry.

Based on the responses, no one has any cynical bones in their body.

Interesting.

Reaction Score
So at worst we will have to beat a 3 or 4, a 2, and then two 1's right?
Assuming the 3 or 4 as a given, the worst scenario IMO would be MD, and then ND and Baylor but in what order?

Reaction Score
But it is garbage. Since all we know so far is the projected hosting schools, there's no way that he can divine the motives of the Committee when we haven't even seen the results of their work yet. It is just something that he made up with absolutely no basis in fact.

As far as putting Tennessee into Connecticut's bracket, that long ago stopped mattering except for a few die-hards on both sides that are also still struggling with the flat-earth concept. If they were going to do it to raise interest, they're a few years too late. A lot of Vol fans are just hoping that they can make it out of the first round...at least from what I read on their bracketology threads; the few that seem to be resigned to meeting Connecticut, seem to mostly be hoping that a good old fashioned beat down will strengthen the push for "changes".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Everyone is always seeing conspiracies in sports in general and especially in WBB - the USA committee doesn't like FL HS kids, they have an agenda against ______, the committee always tries to make TNs path easy, they are out to screw _____, there is a definite east coast bias, ESPN is Uconn's in house marketing company, they never broadcast _____ games because they don't like the coach, etc.

Like most conspiracy theory junkies and their ideas, I think it is all BS. The committee is faced with a daunting task that they try to make as equitable as possible. They review their work and try to make new rules and procedures to correct things that in retrospect they might have gotten wrong. They deal each year with fallout from about 70 highly competitive coaches that are pretty sure their team was not treated as well as some of the other coaches' teams, and the same number of highly irrational fan bases that know that their team got screwed compared to that other team. And in the end they produce a 64 team field that is pretty good and pretty fair and produces a pretty exciting tournament.

As Geno has said - whatever gets voted on, has a lot less meaning than what gets won and lost on the court, and the end result is you have a NC that won through 6 games on the court, and 63 teams that lost on the court and were not good enough on a given day. Live with it or go do something where you get rewarded for participation. For ever team that thinks there should have been a different result, there is a team like Elon or Robert Morris that is absolutely thrilled to be heading for slaughter at some point in the next three weeks.

Reaction Score
Here's my ideal: the Huskies should play 6 teams (as we would anyway if we got to the finals). Play the 4 teams in the top 10 that we haven't played yet (and haven't beaten yet): Stanford, Miss. St., Oregon St., and Duke. Add 2 teams that played us to fewer than 10 pts.: Maryland and FSU. If we can run this table, we can accomplish 2 objectives: first, have beaten every team in the top 10; second, have removed any and all questions about the BEST team in the land. Really, why should the Huskies have to prove again what they have already proven? Let ND and Baylor wait till next year to try again (when it will be utterly hopeless). This way, ALL of the games we watch will be interesting instead of having to play JV teams (like ISIS). As for the other schools, let them play as usual with the winner getting some secondary award--The "Good Enough (but Not Good Enough to play UConn) Award."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since UConn has the largest fan base in the country, I highly doubt that the committee wants them knocked off before the Final Four.

Good point. Did not think of that. Still cynical. 30 minutes to go.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I understand that no matter how the bracket falls some fans of some school are going to see it as a conspiracy against them. But this threads and other threads of its ilk (on this board and others) amuse me in that they complain of the bracket preemptively.

Will there not be sufficient time to complain about the bracket *after* it is revealed?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty clear that unlike the men's tournament, the true motives of the women's selection committee are as follows

2) Make the UConn run for a 5th consecutive championship as challenging as possible.

If this were the case, don't you think that the selection committee would have found a way to put UConn and Tennessee in the same region at least once in the past, what, 12 years?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand that no matter how the bracket falls some fans of some school are going to see it as a conspiracy against them. But this threads and other threads of its ilk (on this board and others) amuse me in that they complain of the bracket preemptively.

Will there not be sufficient time to complain about the bracket *after* it is revealed?
But if you wait, you will not get in first!
And there is also the great benefit of predicting the worst so it will not happen - I think MD will be our 4 seed, Baylor our 2 seed, and then ND and SC will be waiting in the FF. (There, I have insured that Robert Morris will inexplicably be given a four seed in Bridgeport, the 2 seed will be Miami, and Baylor, MD, ND, SC, and MissSt will be shoe horned into a single regional!!! :eek::))

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If this were the case, don't you think that the selection committee would have found a way to put UConn and Tennessee in the same region at least once in the past, what, 12 years?

In my scenario, I felt this is the year with UConn perhaps vulnerable and TN so violently unpredictable that it might somehow push the committee. This was not the case previously.

Reaction Score

No one outside the UConn fanbase wants us towin the NC in a depleted year especially with the new toys we are getting in the 2017/2018 recruiting classes which favors another run of NC's

To do this, I believe the selection committee will do / say anything to somehow get Md and Tenn into the Bridgeport regional.

A UConn / Tenn game to get to the round of 16 and an elite 8 matchup of MD / UConn will accomplish the committee's underlying goals better than any other scenario.

Since I am of the camp which says "We will play anyone anytime anywhere", I personally would enjoy the competition (Think of the glory) but I know many here would hate it and cry foul.

Since I have no evidence, it is just an opinion. Feel free to ridicule but the truth will be revealed in an hour.:rolleyes:
You're saying that you believe that the whole committee got together and conspired to do that? Are you serious? Please stop.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Apparently no underlying motives but MD is a big hurdle. I apologize for projecting my cynicism onto the committee.

Reaction Score
Apparently no underlying motives but MD is a big hurdle. I apologize for projecting my cynicism onto the committee.

Maryland ? UConn beats them on their home court in front of their 17000+ fans, with Lou barfing in the bucket. How much of a hurdle can they be ? :) I thought the Bridgeport regional does not look too tough for UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maryland ? UConn beats them on their home court in front of their 17000+ fans, with Lou barfing in the bucket. How much of a hurdle can they be ? :) I thought the Bridgeport regional does not look too tough for UConn.

I am more concerned with MD than #2 Duke. Losing as they did provides strong motivation for them and playing us already removes the mystique factor. Still, I like our chances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom