True Motives of Selection Committee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

True Motives of Selection Committee

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed. Not very nice and he was right about Maryland

Thanks. Never meant it to be an attack on the integrity of the committee. I was just trying to project what could have been a possible goal (i.e make UConn's road tough and bring some additional pre-final 4 excitement) onto the committee.

However, based on so many inconsistencies with the seedings and bracket placement, I never should have believed that the committee could act in a machiavellian manner. :rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I believe West Virginia is the final opponent in Bridgeport

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
A tad harsh, no?
Maryland has to first worry about getting past what I consider the hottest team besides UCONN coming into the Tournament, West Virginia.. That could be a very Interesting match-up considering their tournament run.. At this stage I would rather face Maryland than West Virginia...

Reaction Score
Thanks. Never meant it to be an attack on the integrity of the committee. I was just trying to project what could have been a possible goal (i.e make UConn's road tough and bring some additional pre-final 4 excitement) onto the committee.

However, based on so many inconsistencies with the seedings and bracket placement, I never should have believed that the committee could act in a machiavellian manner. :rolleyes:

I thought u had a solid post. Some people are quick to slam posts. I think we are all on the same team here ha.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I heard it mentioned that 10 of the 16 coaches in UConn's bracket are men. Coincidence?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maryland has to first worry about getting past what I consider the hottest team besides UCONN coming into the Tournament, West Virginia.. That could be a very Interesting match-up considering their tournament run.. At this stage I would rather face Maryland than West Virginia...

Yes. WV is a surprise but it seemed to me that they surprised other teams with their physicality and the play of Tynice Martin was other worldly (hard to sustain). In addition, after Baylor went zone, WV almost coughed up a 20 pt lead and UConn always does well in shutting down a dominant player. To me MD is more seasoned and more diverse in their attack and will not be intimidated by the mystique of UConn so they are still the team that concerns me the most.

Reaction Score
Apparently no underlying motives but MD is a big hurdle. I apologize for projecting my cynicism onto the committee.

You have nothing to apologize for. If anyone doesn't have any healthy amount of skepticism with all the lying, greed, and corruption done in college athletics this past decade well that is their problem not yours eebmg.

And for the record, you ended up being correct that we got the hardest path to a 5th title. Whether you were right about the reason is for others to decide. I happen to agree.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought u had a solid post. Some people are quick to slam posts. I think we are all on the same team here ha.

Thanks again. In looking back, the one thing I think I would change is the name of the thread from "True Motives of the Selection Committee" to " Possible underlying motives of the Selection Committee " although the thread title never seemed to be the issue that resulted in the most vitriol. Glad it is over and we can concentrate on dominating our region. :D:D

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's blatantly obvious to me that the committee manufactured the toughest possible bracket for UCONN to navigate. It's not going to matter because we will beat all comers, but they gerrymandered the brackets to suit the NCAA's agenda.

If Maryland was perhaps worthy of a two seed, then it would be logical that they should be considered the best of the three seeds, at No. 9, correct? If so, why is the best of the three seeds in UCONN's bracket?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You have nothing to apologize for. If anyone doesn't have any healthy amount of skepticism with all the lying, greed, and corruption done in college athletics this past decade well that is their problem not yours eebmg.

And for the record, you ended up being correct that we got the hardest path to a 5th title. Whether you were right about the reason is for others to decide. I happen to agree.

Thanks. I am glad that I am not the only cynic out there. In any event, it seems to me we may have gotten a harder draw more out of committee bumbling than clever design. If we think UConn took it on the chin, think of Syracuse :eek::confused:.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hope Maryland loses before the regional finals just to spoil all of yall's brackets :cool:

Reaction Score
Maryland ? UConn beats them on their home court in front of their 17000+ fans, with Lou barfing in the bucket. How much of a hurdle can they be ? :) I thought the Bridgeport regional does not look too tough for UConn.
concur. IMO, no sense to get too angry at the committee... I think those who have to beat UCONN in the Bridgeport Region got more "screwed" than UCONN did... First assuming MD gets past Bucknell (which is reasonable to assume), they will have to deal with WV {glad it's MD who will get to test them}... then if MD wins, they and Duke will beat each other up before either has a chance to play UCONN. UCONN should have no trouble with Albany...except for the 11am start. Then they should fare well against Syracuse or ISU... then things will get more difficult as should be expected...but UCLA was only #4 Team in Pac12 and TAMU was only #6 in SEC... they are 4 and 5 seeds, but seriously?? Then it's Elite 8...and if the seeds hold, it's either MD or Duke. UCONN beat MD at their place with a packed house (17,000+ fans)...with a sickness in the locker room, but we still had nearly 20 point lead into 4th quarter when we eased off the gas a bit... UCONN will NOT ease off in Elite 8... and if it's Duke... they tied for 2nd in ACC, a weak league this year...and someone we have not played/beaten but they are ranked below 4 teams we have beaten. Then in FF, it could be SouthCarolina...but we always knew it could easily be them, ND or Baylor. We've beaten them all, and we have to show we can do it again. The way the Team is playing (reference USF game in AAC final)...I sure like our chances. Geno will have them ready! Our girls won't want to let the streak be broken at this time of the season with the final goal so close. In Geno We Trust!!! Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm tired of everyone always complaining about bias and agendas without any evidence whatsoever. It is insulting to all the people involved. Are there really no people on earth who just try to be honest and fair and do their jobs, without favoring a particular outcome?

Exactly. Bad enough when it happens on a sports forum, but this kind of behavior has become commonplace regarding much more serious matters.

Reaction Score
It's blatantly obvious to me that the committee manufactured the toughest possible bracket for UCONN to navigate. It's not going to matter because we will beat all comers, but they gerrymandered the brackets to suit the NCAA's agenda.

If Maryland was perhaps worthy of a two seed, then it would be logical that they should be considered the best of the three seeds, at No. 9, correct? If so, why is the best of the three seeds in UCONN's bracket?

Who do you think got screwed the worst here, UCONN or Maryland?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I heard it mentioned that 10 of the 16 coaches in UConn's bracket are men. Coincidence?
How many of the 64 coaches in the tournament are men?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Who do you think got screwed the worst here, UCONN or Maryland?

Clearly Maryland, and while Brenda Frese made an effort to hide it, she was none too pleased with her reward...a possible date with UCONN in Bridgeport to make the FF.

I honestly don't think it will make any difference to our team who we have to play. Geno obviously thinks we got screwed.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I know a number of people have explained this, but in an S seeding process, the #1 overall seed (UConn) gets the lowest #2 seed (Duke). The lowest #2 in turn gets the highest #3 (MD).

That's what I was thinking, which makes the entire scenario look even more contrived. It's no secret that due to his history, Mark Emmert despises UCONN, so it's no surprise that they came up with this gem.

No matter. Short of scheduling men's teams to play us, we will not be losing any games prior to the FF, and not likely there either.

Reaction Score
However, based on so many inconsistencies with the seedings and bracket placement, I never should have believed that the committee could act in a Machiavellian manner. :rolleyes:
Why? Is this a different committee than the one in 90's that would have done anything to get rid of UCONN because of jealousies over a male coach outdoing the women?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom