OT: - Trout to get $430mm from Angels | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Trout to get $430mm from Angels

Reaction Score
Yeah but these guys earned it. The whole “it’s a privilege not a right” talk is insane to me. Their careers weren’t handed to them, they had to out train and out compete millions of others to get a chance at the pros + all the uncertainty of getting hurt or just simply not panning out.

The people complaining about how much money athletes make don’t understand these guys have talents and traits that are valued over whatever talent they can provide themselves, and that these athletes didn’t just magically win the lottery
Believe me I know how elite these guys are. I respect the heck out of them for what they put into their craft. My point is that priorities are out of whack for our society. Same goes for entertainers. And I know I support their salaries. I have U tube TV and MLB TV so I am guilty of paying their salaries.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Believe me I know how elite these guys are. I respect the heck out of them for what they put into their craft. My point is that priorities are out of whack for our society. Same goes for entertainers. And I know I support their salaries. I have U tube TV and MLB TV so I am guilty of paying their salaries.

At least ballplayers have a skill set. They're not Kardashians or YT "stars". What ballplayers make is somewhere between #500000 and #1000000 on the list of current American societal woes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At least ballplayers have a skill set. They're not Kardashians or YT "stars". What ballplayers make is somewhere between #500000 and #1000000 on the list of current American societal woes.

Depends what you mean. Kardashian's skill set is marketing. And they're damn good at it. Kylie gets something like a million bucks for a single intsa product placement. That's insane.

I'll go wash off now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Depends what you mean. Kardashian's skill set is marketing. And they're damn good at it. Kylie gets something like a million bucks for a single intsa product placement. That's insane.

I'll go wash off now.

Her cosmetic business is also well run with low costs and great margins. And has her own built in celebrity endorsement.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'll go wash off now.
Her cosmetic business is also well run with low costs and great margins. And has her own built in celebrity endorsement.

And would anyone care about any of this w/o the Kardashian name? Which was achieved how?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And would anyone care about any of this w/o the Kardashian name? Which was achieved how?

Oh I get it, believe me. But the rub is that they spun it into something. There's been a bajillion sex tapes out there...but not too many billionaires on the back of them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kris Jenner is a legitimate business genius. When you get 6 figgies for a retweet - you cracked the code.

A girl friend of mine was commenting on Kylie the other day. Apparently posted 4 product placement shots on insta that day. +$4m or something for her effort. It's really amazing. Mario cheat code irl.

Reaction Score
Or our president.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A girl friend of mine was commenting on Kylie the other day. Apparently posted 4 product placement shots on insta that day. +$4m or something for her effort. It's really amazing. Mario cheat code irl.

Watch the Fyre Fest docs if you haven’t. One Hulu, One Netflix.

Reaction Score
Her surgeons deserve to be billionaires...
1127232__kylie_jenner_promo_3fdd153c69879908d3274b73745d629d.jpg

the Q

Reaction Score
Or our president.

Before this goes cesspool...you’re too smart to make such an ignorant comment

the Q

Reaction Score
My apologies, I guess I should have said being a snake oil salesman/carnival barker is a skill set, just not one we should value.

I’d consider real estate development, sales, marketing, branding, and licensing skills to learn.

Reaction Score
I’d consider real estate development, sales, marketing, branding, and licensing skills to learn.
Aren't almost all of those skills the same that the Kardashians have? Not trying to Cesspool this, but there's very little difference. They're both the products of inherited wealth and celebrity/reality culture.

Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
1) golden parachutes are normal. That’s how you attract top talent. Just like baseball.

Not "just like baseball". In baseball, you carry insurance on potentially bad contracts and there's always a likelihood you can swap out a bad contract to another team (see Kemp, Matt to Reds). Players don't suddenly get a new huge windfall when they fail and the team wants to dump them. They just get their remaining salary should the team have to eat that amount.

What you are applauding is a game that's only played by the 1% for the 1% and why the stock market is about the least useful gauge of the economy these days. Most BoDs couldn't care less about the welfare of their neighbors or humanity and the whole concept of quarterly reporting has proven time and again to be non-productive.

I love Yang's plan to institute a VAT. He's worth my switching party affiliation.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not "just like baseball". In baseball, you carry insurance on potentially bad contracts and there's always a likelihood you can swap out a bad contract to another team (see Kemp, Matt to Reds). Players don't suddenly get a new huge windfall when they fail and the team wants to dump them. They just get their remaining salary should the team have to eat that amount.

What you are applauding is a game that's only played by the 1% for the 1% and why the stock market is about the least useful gauge of the economy these days. Most BoDs couldn't care less about the welfare of their neighbors or humanity and the whole concept of quarterly reporting has proven time and again to be non-productive.

I love Yang's plan to institute a VAT. He's worth my switching party affiliation.

You have insurance for injuries. Not performance

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You have insurance for injuries. Not performance

You get insurance on big contracts so that if the player gets injured (Prince Fielder, David Wright) and it affects their performance to the point where the contract has to be eaten, you're protected. You're not buying insurance AFTER the injury.

Point remains, golden parachutes are not like compensation in baseball. If anything, all you're buying is a corporate bureaucrat with little to no impact on either innovation or the bottom line. If these folks were truly any good they'd be entrepreneurs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1) golden parachutes are normal. That’s how you attract top talent. Just like baseball.

2) it’s amazing when you see a $3.4b market cap as “pitiful” when like 90% of companies would kill for that.

Do yourself a favor and stop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom