Tremont Waters (again) | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duval is going to Duke.

So was Knox but then he didn't. Seton Hall might be a player here as they are in his final 5 and that was his final visit.

Last thing we need is Duval going to Seton Hall.

Whatever the result it is clear Waters is waiting for Duval's announcement before he decides.

Reaction Score
So was Knox but then he didn't. Seton Hall might be a player here as they are in his final 5 and that was his final visit.

Last thing we need is Duval going to Seton Hall.

Whatever the result it is clear Waters is waiting for Duval's announcement before he decides.

Um, Duval going to Seton Hall might be better for us than Duval going to Duke.

Reaction Score
Um, Duval going to Seton Hall might be better for us than Duval going to Duke.
Considering how little interest Duke has shown to Waters, I tend to agree.
Would take Seton Hall out of the running for the UMass kids (although they might be out regardless) and Wilson

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't want a player that sees UConn as a backup option. If UConn is truly interested, I feel like there is much more to this recruitment that we don't know because this whole situation would be going against KO's word about his new recruiting strategy.
We can't afford to pick and choose. If he comes here because we are his backup option, that would be freaking awesome.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't want a player that sees UConn as a backup option. If UConn is truly interested, I feel like there is much more to this recruitment that we don't know because this whole situation would be going against KO's word about his new recruiting strategy.

This narrative is stupid. Berkeley was my dream school; grew up there, uncle played baseball there, dad got his masters there, best friend played football there, had football season tix my whole life. I fricken loved the Golden Bears. I got in to UConn and not CAL. Three of the best years of my life were spent in Storrs. If we play CAL in any sport I hate them. I would happily piss upon Oski's (CAL mascot) head. If Tremont ends up in Storrs I assume he will experience a similar transformation.

Reaction Score
This narrative is stupid. Berkeley was my dream school; grew up there, uncle played baseball there, dad got his masters there, best friend played football there, had football season tix my whole life. I fricken loved the Golden Bears. I got in to UConn and not CAL. Three of the best years of my life were spent in Storrs. If we play CAL in any sport I hate them. I would happily piss upon Oski's (CAL mascot) head. If Tremont ends up in Storrs I assume he will experience a similar transformation.

Agree, this argument that if we're not his first choice we shouldn't want him is........well.........stupid.

Spent four of the best years of my life in Storrs. Hopefully, you grow up a bit during those years.........at least that's what should happen. I'm sure it's similarly transformative for the athletes as well.

Reaction Score
Just looked over at Creightons board and they seem to think they all but have Waters in their pocket. IF we lose Tremont to Creighton and I have to watch him play nebraska every year I am going to be physically ill..
KO you know I love ya, but please just sign Tremont, Sid, and Whaley so we can all be happy again

Reaction Score
Just looked over at Creightons board and they seem to think they all but have Waters in their pocket. IF we lose Tremont to Creighton and I have to watch him play nebraska every year I am going to be physically ill..
KO you know I love ya, but please just sign Tremont, Sid, and Whaley so we can all be happy again

Besides the fact that we're not even sure if he's eligible to play for Creighton, this would make absolutely no sense to me. I know nothing about their roster, but Creighton??? Don't understand that narrative at all. Regardless of conference, UConn will always be a bigger name program with more exposure than Creighton. If a blue blood comes calling and beats us...that's one thing. But Creighton? Would be a really odd decision for him.

Reaction Score

Unless we are reading different boards, I read it as they think it's down to UConn/Creighton which is what I've thought for the last week and they are basing it on the same info we know which is:

Georgetown signed a guard (out)
WKU apparently backed off (out)

And they generally think that Creighton knows what they are doing and wouldn't be bothering if they couldn't recruit him -- a reasonable thought but on the "how" given Big East bylaws is beyond me.

I think there is more to this recruitment than our insiders or those in Omaha are aware of. When you go to guys like Evans/Bossi and are saying they have no idea what's going on, I think it's pretty easy to conclude no one really knows what's going on.

He hasn't visited anywhere and it sounds like it's a tight lipped camp so much that National Recruiting guys have no insight on this. I'll wait until I see more info from a solid source before I start thinking he's leaning one way or another.

The other piece is they think if they do get Waters that probably means they won't get UMass transfers. It COULD be and I stress could be an either or scenario for UConn/Creighton between Waters & UMass transfers. Pure speculation.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree, this argument that if we're not his first choice we shouldn't want him is...well....stupid.

Spent four of the best years of my life in Storrs. Hopefully, you grow up a bit during those years....at least that's what should happen. I'm sure it's similarly transformative for the athletes as well.

You don't know @CAHUSKY very well....took him longer than that. Hahahah

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Regardless, if UCONN loses Waters to anybody, I'm not putting it on KO. And that's not an apologist take, that's just looking at how ridiculous this whole recruitment has been.

If Waters comes to UCONN, or pretty much anywhere actually, it's because he fell into their lap.

Reaction Score
Regardless, if UConn loses Waters to anybody, I'm not putting it on KO. And that's not an apologist take, that's just looking at how ridiculous this whole recruitment has been.

If Waters comes to UConn, or pretty much anywhere actually, it's because he fell into their lap.

If UConn isn't seen as an obviously more attractive destination for top talent than Creighton, that is a big problem that can be laid squarely at the feet of the head coach.

That's true regardless of how bizarre this particular recruitment has been.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If UConn isn't seen as an obviously more attractive destination for top talent than Creighton, that is a big problem that can be laid squarely at the feet of the head coach.

That's true regardless of how bizarre this particular recruitment has been.

Thing is, Tremont doesn't seem to care at all about 'attractive destination' in the general sense, once Duke/UK/KU are taken off the board. I mean, he decommitted from Georgetown and was considering WKU. That tells you all you need to know.

If WKU hadn't backed off, he might still be considering there, which, as a destination, shouldn't even be in the top 50.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No one can lay this at HCKO feet as this has been one strange and I mean very strange recruit. I hope he comes to Storrs as I think he would flourish, but who knows nowadays with all the craziness in recruiting

Reaction Score
Regardless, if UConn loses Waters to anybody, I'm not putting it on KO. And that's not an apologist take, that's just looking at how ridiculous this whole recruitment has been.

If Waters comes to UConn, or pretty much anywhere actually, it's because he fell into their lap.
We may have cooled on Waters when we signed Mal. At least that is how I recall it at the time.

Reaction Score
Agree, this argument that if we're not his first choice we shouldn't want him is...well....stupid.

Spent four of the best years of my life in Storrs. Hopefully, you grow up a bit during those years....at least that's what should happen. I'm sure it's similarly transformative for the athletes as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ben Gordon's first choice was Duke, Okafor wanted someone else (Houston?), Charlie V committed to Illinois first and then could not follow Self b/c Kansas was out of scholarships. We were Boat's third choice after he committed to USC and WVU, Khalid's first choice was Minnesota, and I'm sure there are many, many others... If Waters wants to come here you take him with open freaking arms.

Edit --> Pretty positive Okafor's #1 was Stanford, Thx KSC!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ben Gordan's first choice was Duke, Okafor wanted someone else (Houston?), Charlie V committed to Illinois first and then could not follow Self b/c Kansas was out of scholarships. We were Boat's third choice after he committed to USC and WVU, Khalid's first choice was Minnesota, and I'm sure there are many, many others... If Waters wants to come here you take him with open freaking arms.
I've always heard Okafor wanted Stanford

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just a bit longer and I'm not sure I grew up much either. 1.5 years at JC in California, 2.5 years in Storrs, 24 years to finish the remaining 6 units. High school class of 86' , UConn class of 2013! :)

Epic

Reaction Score
No. Because it's too hard to stay dedicated to "we really suck" if you're going to keep reminding everyone that we won 2 of the last 7 championships.

The "we really suck" camp as you referred to it is basing their opinion on the past 3 seasons and all the turmoil the program is going through. We were great in 2013-14 and 2010-11 when it counted most, but those seasons don't really have much impact on either the 2016-17 or 2017-18 seasons. The program went from winning those two National Championships, to not even being relevant on the national stage within 2 to 3 years. That is a pretty dramatic dropoff in a relatively short period of time by any objective measure and there are huge holes in the roster at the 4 and the 5 for next season. I hope that Cobb, Diarra, and Carlton are great next season, but realistically the team is very light on both experience and depth in the frontcourt right now.

Reaction Score
The "we really suck" camp as you referred to it is basing their opinion on the past 3 seasons and all the turmoil the program is going through. We were great in 2013-14 and 2010-11 when it counted most, but those seasons don't really have much impact on either the 2016-17 or 2017-18 seasons. The program went from winning those two National Championships, to not even being relevant on the national stage within 2 to 3 years. That is a pretty dramatic dropoff in a relatively short period of time by any objective measure and there are huge holes in the roster at the 4 and the 5 for next season. I hope that Cobb, Diarra, and Carlton are great next season, but realistically the team is very light on both experience and depth in the frontcourt right now.

I would say there is a huge hole at the 5, because of the unknown quantities there. Cobb/Carlton/Diarra could be better than we think.. However, the 4 is going to have at least 25 mins of TL there (if not more) because we will be playing three guards.

If Waters comes here or Sid Wilson, you can book TL for 35 mins at the 4. Meaning there's a lot less of a hole there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom