Tre Mitchell info | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tre Mitchell info

Reaction Score
I almost feel badly for this kid. He already wrecked his basketball career before it even got started.
Is this all hearsay or is there more truth than lie to all this?

Reaction Score

Nothing confirmed but there seems to be a lot of smoke online.

Mitchell and Notre Dame were a match made in heaven. A real shame for the kid.

Reaction Score
Now that it's out in the open, this is similar to what I was hearing a while back as well - so there is some truth to this. Thought it was just going to be Mitchell, though. Bummer if Cross ends up at UMass as well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Now that it's out in the open, this is similar to what I was hearing a while back as well - so there is some truth to this. Thought it was just going to be Mitchell, though. Bummer if Cross ends up at UMass as well.

Well, this will certainly be an easy one to figure out when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
How long before umess fans start coming here and saying that Hurley is afraid to play them?

Reaction Score
Coaching shake-up: Matt McCall relieves three UMass assistants of duties
A source close to the program confirmed Monday that McCall, who just completed his second year with the Minutemen, has relieved his assistants – Rasheen Davis, Peter Gash and Cliff Warren – of their duties. The move was expected as McCall has hinted previously at a staff shake-up during the Minutemen’s 11-21 campaign.

All three assistants were part of McCall’s original staff in Amherst, but Gash spent most of his coaching career alongside McCall. The two worked together at Florida Atlantic from 2009-11 and then again in 2014-15 at Florida before Gash became one of McCall’s assistants at Chattanooga in 2015. Gash is the only person to have been on McCall’s bench for all four seasons McCall has been a head coach.

Davis and Warren were both coaching veterans who joined McCall’s staff in 2016. Davis had coached twice previously in the Atlantic 10 while Warren was the head coach for nine years at Jacksonville.

Reaction Score
Coaching shake-up: Matt McCall relieves three UMass assistants of duties
A source close to the program confirmed Monday that McCall, who just completed his second year with the Minutemen, has relieved his assistants – Rasheen Davis, Peter Gash and Cliff Warren – of their duties. The move was expected as McCall has hinted previously at a staff shake-up during the Minutemen’s 11-21 campaign.

All three assistants were part of McCall’s original staff in Amherst, but Gash spent most of his coaching career alongside McCall. The two worked together at Florida Atlantic from 2009-11 and then again in 2014-15 at Florida before Gash became one of McCall’s assistants at Chattanooga in 2015. Gash is the only person to have been on McCall’s bench for all four seasons McCall has been a head coach.

Davis and Warren were both coaching veterans who joined McCall’s staff in 2016. Davis had coached twice previously in the Atlantic 10 while Warren was the head coach for nine years at Jacksonville.

I continue to marvel at this situation. McCall took over someone else's recruits at Chattanooga and went 29-6 his first year and then 19-12 before moving to UMass. First year there he goes 13-20 then this year 11-21. So, it's all the fault of his assistants? Wow.
If Umass keeps him just because he wangles a few recruits by hiring their high school coach they deserve what they're going to get over the next year or two. Plus he doesn't wear undershirts with a dress shirt and tie...........real loser.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Umass keeps him just because he wangles a few recruits by hiring their high school coach they deserve what they're going to get over the next year or two. Plus he doesn't wear undershirts with a dress shirt and tie......real loser.

What're they gonna get? It's perfectly legal.

Reaction Score
It’s always fun to remember the situation around McCall getting hired at UMass. The school had announced Kelsey as the new head coach, had the building all set up for the press conference and everything... and then he changed his mind. Great look, UMass!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He just cleared out his entire coaching staff prior to this big recruiting weekend. He is going to get walked all over by this kid, his high school coach, and his mother. And if the kid blows up after a year or two, will leave for greener pastures. Other than that though, maybe UMass breaks .500.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I continue to marvel at this situation. McCall took over someone else's recruits at Chattanooga and went 29-6 his first year and then 19-12 before moving to UMass. First year there he goes 13-20 then this year 11-21. So, it's all the fault of his assistants? Wow.
If Umass keeps him just because he wangles a few recruits by hiring their high school coach they deserve what they're going to get over the next year or two. Plus he doesn't wear undershirts with a dress shirt and tie......real loser.

Eerily similar to the KO situation.

Reaction Score

My point was not that anything is illegal. It's that if they keep McCall because he gets a great recruiting class it may not pan out for him or the school. Look at the downward trajectory of his coaching record and add to it the rumor that his best guard may leave and, if you're the AD, wouldn't you start wondering if your job may be in jeopardy if things don't drastically improve in the next year or two?

Plus, it sure looks like desperation when the Head Coach fires the three assistants he hired when he got there less than two years ago. If he hires the Woodstock coach as one of his new assistants it'll confirm how desperate he is to get these recruits and if Mitchell's situation is as others have described the inmates will be running the asylum. Not a prescription for success.

And what about the no undershirt issue? Bring back Bruiser or Kellogg.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He just cleared out his entire coaching staff prior to this big recruiting weekend. He is going to get walked all over by this kid, his high school coach, and his mother. And if the kid blows up after a year or two, will leave for greener pastures.

The kid isn't going anywhere as long as his family member has a job. Yeah, the head coach is neutered, but that's the price he and the school's willing to pay for better talent. Talent usually wins games.

Other than that though, maybe UMass breaks .500.

They'll have far better players than they've had in a long time. Dysfunctional as it maybe, they'll win more. And that's why they're doing this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My point was not that anything is illegal. It's that if they keep McCall because he gets a great recruiting class it may not pan out for him or the school. Look at the downward trajectory of his coaching record and add to it the rumor that his best guard may leave and, if you're the AD, wouldn't you start wondering if your job may be in jeopardy if things don't drastically improve in the next year or two?

When you said "they'll deserve what they get" I thought the 'they' meant UMASS, not the kids.

Clearly, it seems like the coach's biggest problem is recruiting. He can win some with other guys' players. But with his own, he can't. So he's solving that issue by getting premium talent skirting the rules.

And that guard might not leave if they get talent around him.

This has full backing of the AD; he's signing off on getting new assistants for the express purpose of securing talent. Getting talent at the lower levels is everything.

Plus, it sure looks like desperation when the Head Coach fires the three assistants he hired when he got there less than two years ago. If he hires the Woodstock coach as one of his new assistants it'll confirm how desperate he is to get these recruits and if Mitchell's situation is as others have described the inmates will be running the asylum. Not a prescription for success.

He's 'smartly' passing the buck. He knows he's doing a crap job. So he cleans house, to maybe buy himself another couple of years. He's getting rid of the dead weight lol.

Inmates running the asylum is probably right. But they'll still probably have more success than they have recently. For a school like UMASS, selling your soul isn't necessarily the worst option. Sadly.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The kid isn't going anywhere as long as his family member has a job. Yeah, the head coach is neutered, but that's the price he and the school's willing to pay for better talent. Talent usually wins games.

They'll have far better players than they've had in a long time. Dysfunctional as it maybe, they'll win more. And that's why they're doing this.
My understanding is that his prep coach from Woodstock Academy is getting the job, not his father. I looked him up, the guy has connections in the Springfield area and AAU and probably has his sights set on parlaying this into a head coaching gig for himself. If UMass can hold on to him he might help recruiting beyond the initial score.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Good Lord. Why do I follow this sleazy sport.

Hahaha. It's always been that way. Just was a lot easier to ignore it prior to the information age.

Fans of college football are much more aware/accepting/honest with themselves about the sport and the less savory aspects involved.

Reaction Score
When you said "they'll deserve what they get" I thought the 'they' meant UMASS, not the kids.

Clearly, it seems like the coach's biggest problem is recruiting. He can win some with other guys' players. But with his own, he can't. So he's solving that issue by getting premium talent skirting the rules.

And that guard might not leave if they get talent around him.

This has full backing of the AD; he's signing off on getting new assistants for the express purpose of securing talent. Getting talent at the lower levels is everything.

He's 'smartly' passing the buck. He knows he's doing a crap job. So he cleans house, to maybe buy himself another couple of years. He's getting rid of the dead weight lol.

Inmates running the asylum is probably right. But they'll still probably have more success than they have recently. For a school like UMASS, selling your soul isn't necessarily the worst option. Sadly.

I did mean UMass is the "they" but I'm just so old school I tend to overlook how sleazy some people and organizations can be. Forgot about Danny Manning's father at Kansas and the Lawson's father at Memphis.

Successful manipulation of the kids could make it a win/win for the adults. Thanks for the wake up call. I needed a reality check after rooting for Temple and Cincinnati.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom