OT: - Travelers Championship 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers Championship 2023

Reaction Score
All I know is Dibble was interviewing one of the Travelers guys a few weeks ago, and they made a point of bringing that up. I feel like it was in the context of the great lineup they had and how last year it was good because the Open was in Brookline the week before. But this year it's so good because it's the only tournament in New England this year. Guessing that's why it's an elevated tournament.

Reaction Score
Really happy for Jason.. Fighting veritgo and playing high level golf on the back nine is a a hellacious challenge. Its been awhile for him.. Wedge shot into 18 for the tap in was money..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Michael Block is a great example of what the non-elevated events should be doing. Find someone who comes out of nowhere and is a great story and give them an exemption. Let the local crowd get a chance to see golfers in person. Personal interest stories get feet to the course.

Reaction Score
Michael Block is a great example of what the non-elevated events should be doing. Find someone who comes out of nowhere and is a great story and give them an exemption. Let the local crowd get a chance to see golfers in person. Personal interest stories get feet to the course.
He was given one for this week’s tour stop today. Did the Travelers offer him one?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He was given one for this week’s tour stop today. Did the Travelers offer him one?

Not yet. I was bringing it up in the context of some elevated events will rotate each year. For events which aren't an elevated events these are things you do to draw crowds.

I don’t know all the ins and outs of the elevated events but it would be much harder for him to get an exemption to an elevated event. Field is much smaller.

Reaction Score
Not yet. I was bringing it up in the context of some elevated events will rotate each year. For events which aren't an elevated events these are things you do to draw crowds.

I don’t know all the ins and outs of the elevated events but it would be much harder for him to get an exemption to an elevated event. Field is much smaller.
He will help draw even bigger crowds. Invite him.

Reaction Score
Schwab is a 9 million dollar purse and they thought different about Block. Now if he contends in tv coverage for that on Sat and Sunday will viewers tune in to see him? I will. I understand that's a big if but...

Reaction Score
Canadian Open gave him one also. But he's not getting one to an elevated event.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's a great story and I can see tuning in. But his presence being the difference between a someone buying an $84 dollar ticket or staying home, I just can't see.

Reaction Score
Still have this kicking around

Attachments

• 88215AA9-4ECA-4C8B-9D1E-1F20F8286F31.jpeg
    88215AA9-4ECA-4C8B-9D1E-1F20F8286F31.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't see his presence selling one ticket.
The vast majority of casual golf fans won't even remember his name by the time the Traveler's kicks off.

Golf Channel doing their best to keep him relevant. Every shot he takes is being televised.

And it looks like he picked up a Raising Canes sponsorship on his right sleeve.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
he's really coming back to earth today
i guess there is a reason he is a club pro

Yeah, that was a helluva crash back to reality. +11 and worst score of the day by 4 strokes.

Showcases another trait of tour pros. The ability to manage success, stay wcen keeled and make their sisaster rounds a 75 or 76 and not an 81.

Something tells me the tour pros love it when one of these storylines develop because the newest Tin Cup will fade away and it helps show how tough it is to be even a middle of the pack touring pro.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was a helluva crash back to reality. +11 and worst score of the day by 4 strokes.

Showcases another trait of tour pros. The ability to manage success, stay wcen keeled and make their sisaster rounds a 75 or 76 and not an 81.

Something tells me the tour pros love it when one of these storylines develop because the newest Tin Cup will fade away and it helps show how tough it is to be even a middle of the pack touring pro.
To your point.. I knew a guy who had a HS buddy who was on the PGA Tour and would always play at the GHO/Travelers Tournament.. Would come over to my friend's house for a BBQ on Fridays and we were frequently invited over.. This guy lived on the "cut line" throughout his professional career and was not an elite PGA player by any stretch.. You really felt for the guy on those Friday nights as he was waiting for the cut lines to be announced.. More than once he was told (called on the phone) while having a burger and being told he did not make the cut.. Really tore him up when he got the word.... Think he played in 350 PGA events and made the cut 197 times.. Now playing on Champions Tour with not a ton of success ..But still chasing the dream.. A tough way to make a living for a "middle of the pack" touring pro.

Reaction Score
To your point.. I knew a guy who had a HS buddy who was on the PGA Tour and would always play at the GHO/Travelers Tournament.. Would come over to my friend's house for a BBQ on Fridays and we were frequently invited over.. This guy lived on the "cut line" throughout his professional career and was not an elite PGA player by any stretch.. You really felt for the guy on those Friday nights as he was waiting for the cut lines to be announced.. More than once he was told (called on the phone) while having a burger and being told he did not make the cut.. Really tore him up when he got the word.... Think he played in 350 PGA events and made the cut 197 times.. Now playing on Champions Tour with not a ton of success ..But still chasing the dream.. A tough way to make a living for a "middle of the pack" touring pro.
Thanks to Tiger, he probably is living comfortably even by playing on the cutline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom