Transfer thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When you really think about it - Stevens just replaces Boykin in terms of team size for the same years - Whatever the over all plan for recruiting from last summer was, when Boykin left, they had to make adjustments, and with Azura now on board they are right back to the plan they were working with before. She is a different player, but fills that '4' position that Boykin likely would have occupied.
I agree but that extra 4 inches and 2 years of college ball at AA level are literally and figuratively huge! All the potential new recruits to the rosters are best case 6'4". Boykin was 6'2" generously. With Stevens you can go ultra huge with a front line of 6'6" Stevens, 6'5" Butler, 6'3" KLS or go ultra fast and still tall by taking out butler. Stevens is also a match up nightmare that offensively can be deployed from 3 Pt arc to baseline to post.

Reaction Score
When you really think about it - Stevens just replaces Boykin in terms of team size for the same years... She is a different player, but fills that '4' position that Boykin likely would have occupied.
Sorry, what follows just adds to what CocoHusky said. I didn't read the whole thread before responding.

Yes, roster-wise a likely 4 replaced by a definite 4. Boykin was injured in high school, right?, so we couldn't fairly assess her. And she hasn't played yet and won't, I think, until Jan. 2017. But it's probably fair to say that AZ is a massively more important presence, and can probably play the 3 or even the 5 comfortably. Far more of a Stewie-type from what we hear.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's just Brenda I think it all of WCBB and especially Brenda and Tara- who remarked if that if things don't change next year (=UCONN not win NC) she might be inclined to agree with Shaunessey. Guess what?
IMO with or without Walker UCONN wins NC in 2018, because the team will be too big, too fast, and too deep.
But to be fair, Tara may have been joking.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here you go:

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 13h13 hours ago
Louisville now out of 2016-17 scholarships, so cross them off for ex-Illini Chatrice White. Notre Dame is the other known suitor for White

Thanks. Boy, you take a day or so to catch up on other things, and details and developments fly out of the wood work!
Yeah, I saw from your entry about the post from California committing to Cardinal Post and Center U in Louisville and thought it might effectively put them at/near the limit.

Regarding Ms. White, we're pretty sure she's been on ND's campus a few weeks back -- I wonder if the experiences and expectations she's had since her HS recruitment now match up well with ND, Muffet and her staff. MM is becoming even more particular about whom she wants in her program and don't think she's going to pull the trigger unless the match is a sound one for all concerned. From a strictly talent and contribution level, I can see it working, for sure. But the devil's in the details....we'll see.

On the other hand, I wonder where else might be on Ms. White's itinerary...the only other ACC school that might fit her criteria -- the Seminoles don't have an army of posts coming back and the culture is used to players coming from a variety of sources (regular recruiting, transfers, international schools, combinations thereof) so it's pretty inclusive (not meant that other places are not). White's dad also mentioned some Big 12 schools as an option, but have not heard or seen anything. Maybe things will pick up after finals, which she should be taking soon....But if the goal is to register for summer school as he also said, this decision will not be that far in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wouldn't know what a joking expression looks like on Tara. Can somebody, anybody help me with this?
I think whenever she gets this look...
upload_2016-5-2_11-6-4.png

...then you know she's joking.... (?)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks. Boy, you take a day or so to catch up on other things, and details and developments fly out of the wood work!
Yeah, I saw from your entry about the post from California committing to Cardinal Post and Center U in Louisville and thought it might effectively put them at/near the limit.

Regarding Ms. White, we're pretty sure she's been on ND's campus a few weeks back -- I wonder if the experiences and expectations she's had since her HS recruitment now match up well with ND, Muffet and her staff. MM is becoming even more particular about whom she wants in her program and don't think she's going to pull the trigger unless the match is a sound one for all concerned. From a strictly talent and contribution level, I can see it working, for sure. But the devil's in the details....we'll see.

On the other hand, I wonder where else might be on Ms. White's itinerary...the only other ACC school that might fit her criteria -- the Seminoles don't have an army of posts coming back and the culture is used to players coming from a variety of sources (regular recruiting, transfers, international schools, combinations thereof) so it's pretty inclusive (not meant that other places are not). White's dad also mentioned some Big 12 schools as an option, but have not heard or seen anything. Maybe things will pick up after finals, which she should be taking soon....But if the goal is to register for summer school as he also said, this decision will not be that far in the future.
Interesting - generally if there is a good fit from both sides on a campus visit with a transfer there is a pretty rapid announcement - both parties are better informed about the process and what they want than with HS juniors. The start of the process of finding a new school may get delayed by academic stuff (exams) or by finding which schools would be interested, but once the visit is made ...

Between Louisville and Baylor there are going to be some huge teams over the next three - four years. They both seem to be in an arms race to see how many posts and forwards they can get onto their rosters. I do find it a little odd that kids seem to 'clump' themselves on certain teams. TN used to be post player city in the old days, but there were so few really strong options back then for them to choose from. Baylor now has three top 2o ish post players in a two year window on a team returning a AA quality 4 and another good forward. With wings and guards you can always go 'small' and play four at a time very effectively - few teams succeed in going 'big' and deploying even three players that want to play within 10-15 feet of the basket - it just gets to clogged up.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Interesting - generally if there is a good fit from both sides on a campus visit with a transfer there is a pretty rapid announcement - both parties are better informed about the process and what they want than with HS juniors. The start of the process of finding a new school may get delayed by academic stuff (exams) or by finding which schools would be interested, but once the visit is made ...

Between Louisville and Baylor there are going to be some huge teams over the next three - four years. They both seem to be in an arms race to see how many posts and forwards they can get onto their rosters. I do find it a little odd that kids seem to 'clump' themselves on certain teams. TN used to be post player city in the old days, but there were so few really strong options back then for them to choose from. Baylor now has three top 2o ish post players in a two year window on a team returning a AA quality 4 and another good forward. With wings and guards you can always go 'small' and play four at a time very effectively - few teams succeed in going 'big' and deploying even three players that want to play within 10-15 feet of the basket - it just gets to clogged up.

Regarding the visits: The Whites seemed to plan/take two trips almost immediately -- ND and then Louisville. Then the academic stuff hit. I cannot recall taking in a transfer to ND in quite some time (Orangutan, 'Choke, please correct me if I'm wrong), but your logic seems right and parallel to NFL free-agent signings...get 'em at the tail end or just after the visits.
But the Whites said they had a few schools to visit...just don't know how many more of those there are that fit the criteria of being successful in the NCAA year-in, year-out. But my "we'll see," your "interesting" and someone's "hmmm" makes one wonder if this particular match-up was a "looks good on paper/tape, maybe not in person." Maybe there are a few more trips and then a decision will be made. Guess we'll all see/hear soon enough. As a fan, I'm trying to keep level on this one, since she wouldn't be available until 2017-18 anyways and MM & co. are in pursuit of a number of Class of 2017 bigs/forwards. (Plus, I'm pretty excited about Erin Boley joining Brianna Tuner and Kat Westbeld next year...)

Completely with you on trying to make a way to fit all the bigs on the court. One other tough thing for a huge team..can they cover the court defensively against a team with quick ball movement, accurate long shooting and moves to the basket?
Not that we wanted to go a whole season with one center, but it was enthralling to watch ND's four guard approach with Kat Westbeld (really a forward) earlier in the season. With Brianna Turner back in post, it worked well against certain teams. Rather than draft a big for big's sake, I like the approach of getting a "stretch 4" like Erin Boley who seems to have the aptitude for hitting the boards. Not that 6'2" is small......

Reaction Score
If a coach leaves a school, does that impact the transfer's eligibility ?

Natalie Romeo is definitely leaving Nebraska . And says there is no merit to the allegations against Yori.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If a coach leaves a school, does that impact the transfer's eligibility ?

Natalie Romeo is definitely leaving Nebraska . And says there is no merit to the allegations against Yori.
Nope = it is only in exceptional circumstances that a player can petition the NCAA to remove the one year transfer - and it is hit or miss with them. In truly extraordinary cases typically where the NCAA puts a post season ban on a school (or worse) part of the penalty involved is usually a free transfer for all scholarship players on the banned team - happened at PSU and at Uconn.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Looks like Chatrice White is headed to the ACC alright but it won't be ND....

Reaction Score
Interesting. Though I suppose if she went to ND, she would likely play behind Turner for a year and will only start for a year. At FSU, she would likely be a 2 year starter.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Interesting. Though I suppose if she went to ND, she would likely play behind Turner for a year and will only start for a year. At FSU, she would likely be a 2 year starter.

Sigh....

Chatrice White apparently visited ND not too long after she announced her transfer from Illinois. She then went to visit Louisville. On the ND board, we had some give and take at that time and it got me thinking of her criteria of "ACC Schools that got 'deep' into the tourney" and we thought of Florida State, Louisville and ND (eliminated Duke because of the McCallie investigation). Here's what I researched/wrote about FSU at the time, for what it's worth....

FLORIDA STATE

Returning Bigs, Incoming Frosh Bigs

- Maria Conde, 6'1" forward from Spain, who would be a junior in 2017.
- Ama Degbeon, 6'2" center/forward, who would be a senior
- Jasmine Walker, incoming 6'3" post, who would be a soph in 2017-18
- Iho Lopez, 6'2" post who played on Spanish national teams via IMG, would also be a soph.

Point of reference: FSU has traditionally accepted transfers and international students so there's a "melting pot" atmosphere there, that seems to work.

Thoughts:

- This could work for both sides.
- Walker is a Gatorade player of the year from Alabama and is more of traditional low-post player, both on offense and defense.
- White can add her size and skills on defense but float out on offense.
- Conde is much more of a "stretch" forward and was not very physical so they would complement each other.

ENDING THOUGHT -- I have no idea what Chatrice White is looking for outside of what she's stated. If FSU, the 'ville or other schools knock her off her chair, go for it. From a hoops standpoint -- if she wants PT and focal point, FSU (if she's considering) could be a good fit. If she wants to play in a great team-oriented offense that could allow her to do well and get her good post coaching (hello, Carol Owens), perhaps think Irish.

That said, we'll see...."

As of May 11th
So apparently, it was not a good fit for one or both of the parties involved (ND, Whites)....there was a hint of that when se left ND and didn't sign (the old NFL Free Agent maxim...don't let 'em out of the building) She wouldn't have played until fall of 2017, so let's see how ND does with the incoming frosh for that year.

In the meantime, go Brianna, Kat, Erin, Coco and Diamond. That's our hand for 2016-2017.

And good luck to Chatrice White at FSU. Hope it works out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dillon77 - in these situations you never know which side said 'no'. It does take two to make the match and ND might have listened and said ... meh, we'll pass. People always sort of assume the program is the one getting an 'audition' but very definitely the player is auditioning as well.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon77 - in these situations you never know which side said 'no'. It does take two to make the match and ND might have listened and said ... meh, we'll pass. People always sort of assume the program is the one getting an 'audition' but very definitely the player is auditioning as well.

Absolutely...that's why I included the "one or both" line.
I can't recall a transfer with Muffet in this century and, if anything, she's becoming more particular about whom she wants in her program, so this is not a total surprise...when you and I had the back and forth about Chatrice White leaving South Bend after her visit with signing on the proverbial dotted line, that caught my attention.

(All power to UConn and Geno -- who is pretty particular himself to say the least -- (hopefully) finding a fit with Azura Stevens....)

In any case, best of luck to her at Florida State. There's an opportunity there, for sure.

Reaction Score
when you and I had the back and forth about Chatrice White leaving South Bend after her visit with signing on the proverbial dotted line, that caught my attention.
As a complete novice to the recruiting game, I'm wondering how often does it happen that potential transfers or recruits make a campus visit and sign right then and there, versus how many sign later? This seems like an (equally untested) artifact of NFL free-agency, where, if it has any validity there, also does at least have a team's GM talking with the player's agent before the visit--something not applicable here.

In other words, are we using an untested and maybe highly inaccurate metric to produce false information or unnecessary anxiety?

Reaction Score
Tennessee is reportedly recruiting 6'3" JUCO post Cheridene Green . She has some crazy stats. 8 minutes per game and 20 ppg - Must be a mistake

ASA College - Home of the Avengers

Sketchy data. There are only 96 "games started," which would mean 19.2 games. They appeared to have played 25.
Total minutes played 1631. Which would mean 85 or 65 minutes played per game. Should be 200 mins.
Box score for a bunch of games shows each player only playing 1 minute.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a complete novice to the recruiting game, I'm wondering how often does it happen that potential transfers or recruits make a campus visit and sign right then and there, versus how many sign later? This seems like an (equally untested) artifact of NFL free-agency, where, if it has any validity there, also does at least have a team's GM talking with the player's agent before the visit--something not applicable here.

In other words, are we using an untested and maybe highly inaccurate metric to produce false information or unnecessary anxiety?
Two different situations - HS recruiting which is the majority that goes on is all over the place - typically recruits start making unofficial visits in 10th grade (except for local schools where they may have been visiting since birth.) Very seldom do they give a yes if they get an offer that early. Junior year it intensifies and depending on how much research they have already given they might give a verbal after another unofficial. Spring of their junior year they can start taking official visits and a few more verbal, and then it is a steady trickle through the summer into the fall and by mid-september most have made a commitment. Uconn tends to get a fair number of fairly early commitments because it is one of those 'aspire to' programs.

With transfers and Juco graduates - the folks are older and have a much more limited window in which to make their decisions - end of season to beginning of summer school typically - they have a better idea of what they want and the schools also have a better idea of how the player has developed at a college level, so there are fewer visits and faster decisions.

Specific to the White transfer - ND is another one of those 'aspire to' programs so when a transfer makes a visit and a week goes by without an announcement it is more likely that the visit didn't go well with either party.

With Walker - she did a twelve hour visit to Uconn in April, probably as a little refresher on her previous unofficial or as a last chance to hang with the draft picks. I am not surprised that nothing came of the visit in terms of a commitment - she has 5 months before the early signing period and may well take all her official visits before making a choice. Or she might come back to visit during the summer session to hang with the freshman and make a decision then or she may wait until spring. Who knows. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tennessee is reportedly recruiting 6'3" JUCO post Cheridene Green . She has some crazy stats. 8 minutes per game and 20 ppg - Must be a mistake

ASA College - Home of the Avengers
The stats are a mistake but I have mentioned Cheridene Green before as someone UCONN should be looking at.

From the JUCO ranks there is Cheridene Green 6'4" Post from England.
From the international ranks there is Eleanor Jones a 6'4" post from England also and Franesca Pan a 6'1" SG/wing from Italy.

Reaction Score
It sounds like White had an offer from ND:

The 6-foot-3 post player who played her last two seasons at Illinois chose the Seminoles over Louisville and Notre Dame.
“It was a very difficult decision,” her father Bob Smith told the Omaha World-Herald. “All three are quality programs. It came down to where she felt the most comfortable.”
Her father added that playing for a school who can contend for a postseason championship was a major part of her decision.
The rising junior will have to sit out next season due to transfer rules.

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-State-womens-basketball-lands-major-transfer-45281610

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom