Transfer thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've always like Owusu's game................despite appearances she's just a baller.....................that said PB is a better athlete, better two point shooter, better three point shooter, better passer, better ball handler, most likely a better rebounder and probably a better defender.........................if she gets the 27 minutes per game Owusu got as a freshman, I think her stats will show that..........
So I take it you believe Paige is better.;)

Reaction Score
Why post a picture? It really irks me every year when this discussion comes up and women are deemed ”not right” for Uconn because of their appearance. I remember vividly how opinions on here believed that Anriel Howard wasn’t a good fit because she wore makeup and eyelash extensions on the court. Men are not viewed worthy or unworthy basketball players based on their looks; let’s do better people! I’ll get off my soapbox now. Thank you.
l was curious about the tats, relative to the UConn policy, so I found a pic. Thought others might be curious also, so I posted it. No editorial comment, no judgment, no words at all - just "Here's what she looks like, whatever that may be".

Here's another pic to give everyone a better idea...

1585253355425.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No disagreement whatsoever with your rationale or the conclusion, just wanted to see you fully articulate it. Times are a changing. The current 66 year old UCONN WBB coach may never change as fast as the times but he has lovingly embraced players with tattoos before such as Simone Augustus and Brittney Griner. That same coach has also optimized players that many ( present company included) though were not coachable- Angel McCoughtry. How many of us would have believed that the UCONN coach would EVER accept the transfer of a player who originally committed to TN coming out of high school. What needs to be done is to evaluate the talent, every thing else is at best secondary and at worst just superfluous noise. BTW I don’t think any of the posters are ignoring the contrast between the UCONN protocol and Bell’s tattoos- how could they?

Tennessee and UCONN have gone after many of the same recruits historically, not sure why someone having a Tennessee history would be a deterrent. Aside from one questionable comment when put on the spot by an interviewer, Evina had no red flags coming to UCONN.

I personally think the whole tattoo rule is dumb and outdated but I get the ideology behind it. Limiting individuality, whether it be tattoos or names on jerseys, helps keep focus on the team. I'd think if Bell is a player Geno likes a lot and thinks could be a big asset to UCONN he'd go after her and work out the tattoo situation after she's on board.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I personally think the whole tattoo rule is dumb and outdated but I get the ideology behind it. Limiting individuality, whether it be tattoos or names on jerseys, helps keep focus on the team. I'd think if Bell is a player Geno likes a lot and thinks could be a big asset to UCONN he'd go after her and work out the tattoo situation after she's on board.
It wasn't until after I joined the Boneyard that I realized that Geno/CD enforced such strict standards on appearance. As tattoos have become increasingly prevalent and mainstream over the past 10-15 years, I'm not sure what net purpose such a prohibition is really serving. My knee-jerk reaction is to think: is it a basketball program or a convent? But then again, I'm not the one with the 11 championship rings.

Reaction Score
Don’t Baylor and Tennessee have some tattoo rules as well? Maybe theirs are only in-game.

I know Na’Lyssa Smith wears something to cover tattoos on her leg, Zaay Green and Rennia David wears stuff on their arms to cover tattoos. Christyn wears tape on hers on her forearm.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Without breaking any boneyard rules i'm thinking we may not be as stacked at guard as some claim....jmo
Stacked is a relative concept.

By comparison to the threadbare rosters of recent years, next year's backcourt is well stocked:

Evina
Paige
Anna
Christyn
Nika

And then there are the 3/4 hybrids of Aubrey, Aaliyah and Mir. I'm not really sure any of them can be pigeonholed as front- or backcourt.

The greater need, in terms of both experience and pure numbers, continues to be the frontcourt.

Reaction Score
There was a time when having a tattoo was reflective of an attitude. I believe it was the attitude that was rejected that was not wanted. With the passage of time, tattoo's have become more mainstream and the attitude part would no longer really apply. Now it is just a fad that young people have picked up, that unfortunately unlike other fads stay permanent.

Historically tattoo's were part of many cultures throughout the world.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tattoos are a "now thing" (the current 2-5 year period) and not a long term aesthetically pleasing art. The tattoos fade over time and as the body shapes also change over time, the initial look does not remotely resemble the long-term look. Certain occupations still are not comfortable with visible tattoos so choose wisely your profession.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Personally I'm just looking forward to everyone returning, returning and adding "all" the current freshman scheduled to be there.

Any additions, I hope to GOD is a "Well Da!" Because Any addition will be taking developmental game time minutes from freshmen who have committed to UConn from the get go. I'm not sure I would like a surprise freshman like Anna next year.

Without any new players I expect to see the bench unlike the last four years to kick but in the third & fourth quarters.

Here on the BY people point to a couple games here or there that we "probably" would have lost if not for the fifth year or transfer. I'm thinking, so what's your point? Who the *$!# cares? Was it the game for the conference or national championship?

I have never heard coach Geno say the goal was to set winning streak records. I have heard him say that it can be hard to teach until the kids get beat. As well as the first goal is to win the conference and then the national championship.

Reaction Score
It wasn't until after I joined the Boneyard that I realized that Geno/CD enforced such strict standards on appearance. As tattoos have become increasingly prevalent and mainstream over the past 10-15 years, I'm not sure what net purpose such a prohibition is really serving. My knee-jerk reaction is to think: is it a basketball program or a convent? But then again, I'm not the one with the 11 championship rings.
Coach Wooden didn’t allow facial hair. My understanding is that it was something to do with discipline like making your bed. Some programs make their players wear coats and ties when they are entering the arena for games or are hurt on the bench. Again it was for discipline and appearance. It may be the rule started as “you are not allowed to get tattoos when here”. Further not as many high schoolers had tattoos in the past as they do now.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Coach Wooden didn’t allow facial hair. My understanding is that it was something to do with discipline like making your bed. Some programs make their players wear coats and ties when they are entering the arena for games or are hurt on the bench. Again it was for discipline and appearance. It may be the rule started as “you are not allowed to get tattoos when here”. Further not as many high schoolers had tattoos in the past as they do now.

That's kind of the point though, it is super dated to enforce a rule like no tattoos or facial hair. Wooden coached 50 years ago.

Reaction Score
I meant if for some reason the European guards can't or won't come back and EW has knee issues we won't be stacked at guard.....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Are tattoos an issue if you want to join a convent? :oops:

Reaction Score
That's kind of the point though, it is super dated to enforce a rule like no tattoos or facial hair. Wooden coached 50 years ago.
I was rushed when I made the response but that was what I was trying to say. It may have been practical years ago but it is going to be tougher and tougher to recruit if the rule continues.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
It wouldn't shock me if Bell ends up at Rutgers. If she doesn't mind going that far from home. That was why she chose OSU over Rutgers.

Reaction Score
There was a time when having a tattoo was reflective of an attitude. I believe it was the attitude that was rejected that was not wanted. With the passage of time, tattoo's have become more mainstream and the attitude part would no longer really apply. Now it is just a fad that young people have picked up, that unfortunately unlike other fads stay permanent.

Historically tattoo's were part of many cultures throughout the world.
I agree. Jordan Danberry at Mississippi State is covered in tattoos. She is also very quiet off the court and initially looks very unapproachable. However she is very nice and her junior year earned the Elite 90 Award for highest GPA among players in the Final Four and has been consistently named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll and All Works team for a tutoring program she started. She graduated December 2018 in business economics and started her MBA in the spring 2019. She is finishing this spring. In sum, she is opposite every stereotype I embarrassedly admit I still have when I see someone with that many tattoos.
BTW this is not an opinion on anyone that has this rule but only saying how my age typically associates tattoos.

Reaction Score
Tattoos are a "now thing" (the current 2-5 year period) and not a long term aesthetically pleasing art. The tattoos fade over time and as the body shapes also change over time, the initial look does not remotely resemble the long-term look. Certain occupations still are not comfortable with visible tattoos so choose wisely your profession.
My wife,, now 75, said as a "youngster" considered getting a tattoo of a daisy on her hip. However she realized as time passed that would turn into a sunflower and more difficult to hide and explain. IMO, a sage decision.

Reaction Score
Don’t Baylor and Tennessee have some tattoo rules as well? Maybe theirs are only in-game.

I know Na’Lyssa Smith wears something to cover tattoos on her leg, Zaay Green and Rennia David wears stuff on their arms to cover tattoos. Christyn wears tape on hers on her forearm.
I think Mulkey has relaxed Baylor's policy of covering tattoos. I saw several games where Nalyssa and Tea played without leg sleeves that cover their tats. Also Caitlin Bickle has a very visible tattoo behind her ear that has never been covered with makeup. When Griner was there I'm pretty sure the policy was in place.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here on the BY people point to a couple games here or there that we "probably" would have lost if not for the fifth year or transfer. I'm thinking, so what's your point? Who the *$!# cares? Was it the game for the conference or national championship?
I care and my point is it is not ok for UCONN to keep losing even those few games when the possibility exist to add talent to the roster. This UCONN fan would gladly trade any of those AAC conference championships for a regular season win against Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville or Oregon. BTW we had a graduate transfer on the roster this season and still had 3 loses and it does take a winning streak to win a national championship - 6 games in fact.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oh the times they are a changing. We are all wondering whether or not UConn will
have a player with purple & yellow braids next season. UConn has had players with small tattoos. Gabby & Saniya come to mind. We just never saw their tattoos.

Geno and CD are relaxing some of the rules, albeit at a glacial pace. But I do understand the dividing line on tattoos. Tattoos are certainly much more common today, particularly among basketball players. But Geno and CD have always been about so much more than basketball. They are training these young ladies for life after basketball.

I spent 40+ years at various Fortune 100 corporations. During that period of time, I met a lot of intelligent, capable and professional women. Not a single one of those women had tattoos up and down their arms, head and face.

Think about all the women who’ve played for Geno and CD over the years who are now business executives, head coaches, professional announcers and so on. UConn WBB players are incredibly successful once they leave Storrs. Think about Rebecca, Swin, Sue, Maya, Pheesa and so many others who all convey an image of poise, intelligence and professionalism.

Bell is a very good basketball player and she may be a wonderful young lady. But before you begin to evaluate her basketball ability, you have to ask yourself a simple question. Does she fit in at UConn?

Reaction Score
Is there a difference in your mind if the tattoo is visible in regular attire or not but you know it’s there

Reaction Score
I care and my point is it is not ok for UCONN to keep losing even those few games when the possibility exist to add talent to the roster. This UCONN fan would gladly trade any of those AAC conference championships for a regular season win against Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville or Oregon. BTW we had a graduate transfer on the roster this season and still had 3 loses and it does take a winning streak to win a national championship - 6 games in fact.

Six game winning streak? At UConn that’s known as two and a half weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom