Transfer Thread - May | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread - May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I keep checking just to see if there will be some miracle. But it just seems as if our Coach has decided not to compete for the shooter(s) we need. I don't understand it or agree with it, but I'll keep checking.
We brought in a career 38% 3 point shooter who won 6th man of the year in a P6 conference last year to fill one of our 3 open roster spots. Seems like a good move to me

Reaction Score
We weren't 100% off the transfer trail after Polley's re-signing. Watts and the UNLV kid were/are at least pursued with some level of interest. Hurley has mentioned the focus on 2022 kids. Maybe the strategy is to keep a space open for a reclass, so we aren't out of the running for a top priority kid because we don't have a spot. Last year at this time we were talking about Sanogo and Etienne as 2021 prospects and they both ended up in the 2020 'draft'.

Reaction Score
We brought in a career 38% 3 point shooter who won 6th man of the year in a P6 conference last year to fill one of our 3 open roster spots. Seems like a good move to me
The same guy who played 20 minutes in a game this year and literally did not have one statistic?? Yawn. I’d rather have seen some fresh blood myself in the form of a shooter that can actually shoot. Tyler Phommachanh may help this year, but I think we know by know he’s a severely limited player.

Reaction Score
I keep checking just to see if there will be some miracle. But it just seems as if our Coach has decided not to compete for the shooter(s) we need. I don't understand it or agree with it, but I'll keep checking.
I'm ready to ignore it - like you, I keep hoping they see the obvious need at shooting/ ZERO shot creators on the current roster but it seems they're going with their guys. Love our mix at the 4/5, it's special! But i think at the 1-3 we have no difference makers and probably as weak in backcourt (counting returnees) as anytime in my 25+ years of following. I know people will jump on Jalen Adams + scrubs years but Jalen was a stud.

It blows my mind that elite teams like Michigan and Maryland (prob a top 5-10 team) all see the need to add strategic pieces (not adding transfers en masse) but Hurley's too dug in for that. We'll see who's right, coaches like Few, Howard, Turgeon, Drew or Hurley.

Kids like Tyreke Martin and Fatts wanting to move up a level ARE NOT PROBLEMS, they want growth & challenges. I want those kind of kids looking for a challenge.

I think with our depth and studs at the 4/5, (Sanogo is such a stud, Whaley is terrific too and like bench pieces) we're kinda settling for just ok when we should be shooting for a deep, deep run. Not happening with zero shot creators unless Hawkins and Diggins play MAJOR roles day one. Just ok is not OK!

Reaction Score
The same guy who played 20 minutes in a game this year and literally did not have one statistic?? Yawn. I’d rather have seen some fresh blood myself in the form of a shooter that can actually shoot. Tyler Phommachanh may help this year, but I think we know by know he’s a severely limited player.
I'd still like to fill the 13th scholarship with a shooter, don't get me wrong. I just can't keep up with the narrative on Hurley. One week he tried and struck out on transfers, the next week he didn't care enough to try. I think the first part is what happened, I just really can't understand the takeaway some posters have that Hurley isn't trying to improve the team

Reaction Score
I'm ready to ignore it - like you, I keep hoping they see the obvious need at shooting/ ZERO shot creators on the current roster but it seems they're going with their guys. Love our mix at the 4/5, it's special! But i think at the 1-3 we have no difference makers and probably as weak in backcourt (counting returnees) as anytime in my 25+ years of following. I know people will jump on Jalen Adams + scrubs years but Jalen was a stud.

It blows my mind that elite teams like Michigan and Maryland (prob a top 5-10 team) all see the need to add strategic pieces (not adding transfers en masse) but Hurley's too dug in for that. We'll see who's right, coaches like Few, Howard, Turgeon, Drew or Hurley.

Kids like Tyreke Martin and Fatts wanting to move up a level ARE NOT PROBLEMS, they want growth & challenges. I want those kind of kids looking for a challenge.

I think with our depth and studs at the 4/5, (Sanogo is such a stud, Whaley is terrific too and like bench pieces) we're kinda settling for just ok when we should be shooting for a deep, deep run. Not happening with zero shot creators unless Hawkins and Diggins play MAJOR roles day one. Just ok is not OK!
Bingo

Reaction Score
I'd still like to fill the 13th scholarship with a shooter, don't get me wrong. I just can't keep up with the narrative on Hurley. One week he tried and struck out on transfers, the next week he didn't care enough to try. I think the first part is what happened, I just really can't understand the takeaway some posters have that Hurley isn't trying to improve the team
Either way it isn’t good. We had the biggest transfer market in history and got nobody. Miss me with the Polley and Whaley additions, those we’re our guys. If Hurley tried in this transfer market then he executed horribly. I think the narrative that he just wasn’t fond of really adding transfers is a better look for him. Hurley has been fantastic. But unless he gets a surprise commit from someone, the this off season has been a missed opportunity. We are not too talented to add more talent. That has been the excuse, and it’s dumb. We have no guys who can actually go get there own shot, it lowers our ceiling considerably

Reaction Score
Either way it isn’t good. We had the biggest transfer market in history and got nobody. Miss me with the Polley and Whaley additions, those we’re our guys. If Hurley tried in this transfer market then he executed horribly. I think the narrative that he just wasn’t fond of really adding transfers is a better look for him. Hurley has been fantastic. But unless he gets a surprise commit from someone, the this off season has been a missed opportunity. We are not too talented to add more talent. That has been the excuse, and it’s dumb. We have no guys who can actually go get there own shot, it lowers our ceiling considerably
I'm just not ready to panic and call this offseason a failure yet. If we go into next season with 12 players then I agree it was a huge missed opportunity. If we pull in a great reclass from 2022 instead of a transfer then I'll have no issues.

Maybe I've missed it but I don't think anyone is saying we have too much talent to add more players. I think posters have just gotten so caught up in all the exciting names in the portal that it's started to overshadow the fact that we have a top 25 team with a high ceiling. Could that ceiling be raised with someone like Watts or Hamilton, of course. But the sky is not falling if we don't get them, this is still a team that should make the second weekend and anything short of that would be a disappointment

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree with you.

However, how many programs entered the offseason with 12 guys on their roster (assuming that they felt confident that Polley/Whaley were returning)?

That's the only thing that's keeping me from truly being disappointed with this offseason. I'm not disappointed at all because of our roster retention despite our need to replace Bouknight's creation of offense.

I'm thinking of the time the UConn offense got in a nice groove despite covid pauses and Bouk's injury. I'm thinking of the Xavier game where Cole went for 24. I'm thinking of the Seton Hall game where Gaffney went for 20 (including nine FTAs). Just examples of games w/o Bouk where a returning guy stepped up and became the guy.

I feel confident that the players we have feel a shared responsibility to carry the team the develop the offense post-Bouknight. That shared responsibility could make our offense even better than last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

However, how many programs entered the offseason with 12 guys on their roster (assuming that they felt confident that Polley/Whaley were returning)?

That's the only thing that's keeping me from truly being disappointed with this offseason. I'm not disappointed at all because of our roster retention despite our need to replace Bouknight's creation of offense.

I'm thinking of the time the UConn offense got in a nice groove despite covid pauses and Bouk's injury. I'm thinking of the Xavier game where Cole went for 24. I'm thinking of the Seton Hall game where Gaffney went for 20 (including nine FTAs). Just examples of games w/o Bouk where a returning guy stepped up and became the guy.

I feel confident that the players we have feel a shared responsibility to carry the team the develop the offense post-Bouknight. That shared responsibility could make our offense even better than last year.

You make good points as usual. But again those were few and far between us clamoring for someone to go-to when we needed scoring when Bouk was out. It was tough to watch at times even when Bouk returned offensively. Cole was much better in a consistent manner when Bouk returned, his overall game that is. Gaff is well, the same guy either way thus far, but can't have that guy who is good 1 of 5 games with lots of minutes. Again, players improve they are kids. But right now we are requiring improvement in a big way as well as immediate growth and impact from kids. It can happen but if our guards are the same players and we have a year where we see lots of minutes with Gaff and RJ on the floor at the same time, yikes!!!

Reaction Score

I think that the people on here that are all gloom and doom about the lack of adding a scorer, someone that can create off the dribble are just looking for another ball dominant player that will once again stunt the offense. Bouk's 18 points per game should not be an issue to overcome with the kids we have coming in and the, hopeful, growth that the returning players experience. What If the Freshmen average 8-10 points per game, combined, and everyone else increased their production by 10-12 points, combined? Are those unreasonable figures? If they aren't... you've made up for Bouk.

Reaction Score
I think that the people on here that are all gloom and doom about the lack of adding a scorer, someone that can create off the dribble are just looking for another ball dominant player that will once again stunt the offense. Bouk's 18 points per game should not be an issue to overcome with the kids we have coming in and the, hopeful, growth that the returning players experience. What If the Freshmen average 8-10 points per game, combined, and everyone else increased their production by 10-12 points, combined? Are those unreasonable figures? If they aren't... you've made up for Bouk.

I'm reporting this post. Too much level-headed, reasonable logic. Not enough unfounded doom-and-gloom

Reaction Score
I like our roster as is. We don’t want to recruit over players already on the team. This is a top 25 team next year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You make good points as usual. But again those were few and far between us clamoring for someone to go-to when we needed scoring when Bouk was out. It was tough to watch at times even when Bouk returned offensively. Cole was much better in a consistent manner when Bouk returned, his overall game that is. Gaff is well, the same guy either way thus far, but can't have that guy who is good 1 of 5 games with lots of minutes. Again, players improve they are kids. But right now we are requiring improvement in a big way as well as immediate growth and impact from kids. It can happen but if our guards are the same players and we have a year where we see lots of minutes with Gaff and RJ on the floor at the same time, yikes!!!
i figgered that u'd be on the phone by now to ol' ag cuz he is back in the portal. shouldn't he be collecting the social security by now?
jmoney gonna stuff it up ur nose next season, as rj rains 3s, and i'll be there to remind you.
lol.

fun movie fact. the mechanical shark was known as 'bruce' on set, a name bestowed upon him by steven spielberg bcuz that was the first name of his lawyer. now, that's funny.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i figgered that u'd be on the phone by now to ol' ag cuz he is back in the portal. shouldn't he be collecting the social security by now?
jmoney gonna stuff it up ur nose next season, as rj rains 3s, and i'll be there to remind you.
lol.

Again, you figured wrong Spliffster. Nothing said at all. Please, can't wait for the reminders I'm all in.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't really be panicking. Bouk is a great player and a lotto pick...he also wasn't a great defender and finished the year less than 30% from 3 point range. Between that and Akok back at full strength coupled with Whaley's return the defense should be improved and it could be a top 10 in the country.

We've seen every year thus far with Hurley: a good player leaves, the team still gets better.

Jalen Adams graduated with his 17 ppg and 36% from 3 and the team got better.

Christian Vital graduated with his 16 ppg and 6 rebounds a game and being a great defender and the team got better. Remember people were afraid his loss would lead to the team getting worse on the glass? Whaley and Sanogo picked up the slack.

Now James Bouknight is going to the NBA with his 18 ppg.

These things just tend to work themselves out. I don't disagree that shooting and shot creation were not great when he didn't play, but they built the offense around him and were ill prepared for his absence.

It's reasonable to say these areas are concerning going into next year given how poorly the last game went (although the issue was more making layups than 3s), but the answers are likely already on the roster.

You remove the 3 COVID pauses (probably the most in NCAA, maybe tied with DePaul), Polley and Akok now getting a normal offseason and 100% fully removed from injuries, and the synergies of having that kind of roster retention (i.e. everyone already knows the system), this is going to be a good team (again).

If they can add one more guy for depth that understands minutes are far from a guarantee, great, but I think minutes are fully spoken for this season.

Reaction Score
I don’t really disagree with any of the responses. I expect us to be good based upon our current talent level. My use of the word “disappointment” comes from the idea that we could be REALLY good next season with the addition of one more skill set. Maybe diggins, Hawkins, and Sampson are ready to contribute day one. Bouk and Akok were. It’s just a gamble is all I’m saying

Reaction Score
We weren't 100% off the transfer trail after Polley's re-signing. Watts and the UNLV kid were/are at least pursued with some level of interest. Hurley has mentioned the focus on 2022 kids. Maybe the strategy is to keep a space open for a reclass, so we aren't out of the running for a top priority kid because we don't have a spot. Last year at this time we were talking about Sanogo and Etienne as 2021 prospects and they both ended up in the 2020 'draft'.
Whaley and polley aren’t counting against our scholarship limit, so even if we got a transfer we would not be out of the market for a reclass. I know that would expand the number of players vying for minutes but picking up a transfer would not shut the door on our ability to sign a reclass.

Reaction Score

Freeman and Young going on vacation during the height of the tranfer period, if true, could be one reason for no transfers and for why we have a new assistant coach.
DH on Luke Murray, "has the commitment level and passion that we need to elevate this program to the championship level where UConn should be".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom