Transfer Stats - Jackson, Durham & Enoch | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Transfer Stats - Jackson, Durham & Enoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Durham is also listed at 223 now, which is impressive.

Reflecting on this and how Gregg Marshall relied so heavily on freshmen last night (despite the loss) it's a big "what-if" if Ollie played Durham and Enoch more than 8 and 12 minutes-per-game, respectively.
He couldn’t play Durham... the kid wasn’t physically ready. Enoch wasn’t good enough to play more. The “what-if” was whethered you wanted Ollie not to care about winning.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In tcf's video Vance makes an appearance right around the 2 minute mark. He mad a sweetass spin move down the lane for a layup.

Anyway...his team lost.

Reaction Score
Boat
Daniels
Giffey

I can't think of anyone else.

I really kind of hate the 'he had Calhoun's players' argument... but.

Once we were through the Calhoun/Ollie cross over window period. It was a flipping grade-A nuclear disaster.

There was no one *Ollie* recruited that improved measurably under *Ollie.* After the NC, it was a pretty quick, precipitous drop off and nearly everyone who he brought in with credibility/talent did well elsewhere - either in the G-League or at another program.

Just kinda plateau after plateau.

Again, I appreciate Ollie's contributions as a player. I'll always appreciate and love the 2014 run - of which he was a huge part of - but outside of that - he was a really bad coach. I'd be all about saying 'he led us out of our darkest period' when in reality, it led us into it.

Again while it's fun to watch these guys from afar I guess - they'd have been terrible here under him. Same with Akinjo. Maybe i'm just salty late at night and need to go to bed, but talking about them in any sort of sense like they were lost opportunities is kind of silly.

Reaction Score
I really kind of hate the 'he had Calhoun's players' argument... but.

Once we were through the Calhoun/Ollie cross over window period. It was a flipping grade-A nuclear disaster.

There was no one *Ollie* recruited that improved measurably under *Ollie.* After the NC, it was a pretty quick, precipitous drop off and nearly everyone who he brought in with credibility/talent did well elsewhere - either in the G-League or at another program.

Just kinda plateau after plateau.

Again, I appreciate Ollie's contributions as a player. I'll always appreciate and love the 2014 run - of which he was a huge part of - but outside of that - he was a really bad coach. I'd be all about saying 'he led us out of our darkest period' when in reality, it led us into it.

Again while it's fun to watch these guys from afar I guess - they'd have been terrible here under him. Same with Akinjo. Maybe i'm just salty late at night and need to go to bed, but talking about them in any sort of sense like they were lost opportunities is kind of silly.

You realize Ollie recruited players as an assistant, right? I mean, Boatright played 3 years for him. Players like Nolan and Boatright improved.

Reaction Score
Enoch and Vance are going to be a stone in our shoe all season long I think someone said. KO did not see where the future of our team was as he was trying to win a national championship. Since he recruited these guys he must have seen something in them at one time. Vance’s father wanted him to be more of a focus on offense and KO must have just burned him off, That was a management skill that ultimately lost us a player we currently need.

Reaction Score
Enoch and Vance are going to be a stone in our shoe all season long I think someone said. KO did not see where the future of our team was as he was trying to win a national championship. Since he recruited these guys he must have seen something in them at one time. Vance’s father wanted him to be more of a focus on offense and KO must have just burned him off, That was a management skill that ultimately lost us a player we currently need.

Do you really believe there are coaches that throw underprepared players out there and take losses that should be wins? Everyone goes for wins. As for losing Vance's father, this happens at every single school. It happened to Calhoun as well. There are a great many things to get on Ollie about, but I have to say that I would be disappointed if Hurley is not trying to win every game with his best lineup, or if he's kowtowing to a parent. There is nothing worse for team morale than that.

Reaction Score
In tcf's video Vance makes an appearance right around the 2 minute mark. He mad a sweetass spin move down the lane for a layup.

Anyway...his team lost.

Watch the highlights when the other team has the ball watch his defense it's the same guy on that end. No doubt he could score the ball and shoot it but he wouldn't see the court for Dan Hurley with his effort on the other end.

Reaction Score
Watch the highlights when the other team has the ball watch his defense it's the same guy on that end. No doubt he could score the ball and shoot it but he wouldn't see the court for Dan Hurley with his effort on the other end.

He would not have survived under Hurley for sure. It did look like he's tightened up his handle a bit.

Reaction Score
You realize Ollie recruited players as an assistant, right? I mean, Boatright played 3 years for him. Players like Nolan and Boatright improved.

Nolan improved marginally. Boatright's greatest improvements occurred when Shabazz was here with him, though he tightened up his mechanics a bit on his jump shot prior to his senior season.

The overall point is that Ollie was overwhelmed when presented with all of the aspects of running a major college basketball program together. That includes recruiting (i.e. identifying and selling the program to players), building a roster (i.e. filling needs and recruiting to a system and style of play), player development, player management, game-planning, in-game rotation management, and overall game management. Once he had to do all of those things and didn't have guys that came up in the previous administration, the wheels came off pretty quickly.

Just about every program in the country finds a way for inexperienced players to contribute while masking and developing the gaps in their respective games. Ollie failed to do that, and in the process alienated some of his best players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you really believe there are coaches that throw underprepared players out there and take losses that should be wins? Everyone goes for wins. As for losing Vance's father, this happens at every single school. It happened to Calhoun as well. There are a great many things to get on Ollie about, but I have to say that I would be disappointed if Hurley is not trying to win every game with his best lineup, or if he's kowtowing to a parent. There is nothing worse for team morale than that.
These were decisions about development, where the team was and where they would ultimately end up. KO lost the parents, the players and the team. As the numbers for Enoch and Vance continue to come in this year it will become more apparent that those players were not handled correctly because they were trashed for being crappy players on their way out.

Reaction Score

Vance would not fit in with Hurley for one second. Enoch got the playing time he deserved. You can't play people who are killing you when they're out there just because they have potential. Same with Durham, only less KO's fault, because the young man should have had the sense to recognize he wasn't ready to be playing at all.

I have no problem following these young men's careers out of curiosity. And you want to criticize KO for not developing Enoch enough, fine. But not playing him enough? Please stop.

Reaction Score
You realize those aren't considered his players. Just like the players when he was coaching aren't considered Killings and Ricky Moore's players.

Reaction Score
Yes I do and I'll tell you why. The year before after we were waited for Brimah's magical summer transformation that never happened he never gave Enoch the floor time to develop. Hurley would know how to handle Vance I believe. Players transfer because they don't get enough playing time and don't see themselves in the future getting it. So I fault KO for not developing both players.

Reaction Score
Of course coaches sometimes play the more upside younger player over the older player who might give him the better chance of winning at the moment but doesn't give him the better chance later in the season, it happens all the time. Ollie's handling of Vance and Enoch was horrendous. Vance came to him in the offseason and was begging to be coached and Ollie made it clear he had no interest in coaching him.

Reaction Score
Of course coaches sometimes play the more upside younger player over the older player who might give him the better chance of winning at the moment but doesn't give him the better chance later in the season, it happens all the time. Ollie's handling of Vance and Enoch was horrendous. Vance came to him in the offseason and was begging to be coached and Ollie made it clear he had no interest in coaching him.

Sorry can't believe he said he had no interest in coaching him. We can all agree that he wasn't a very good coach in the last 2-3 years, not the same guy but there is no chance I would believe he ever said that to him even with his father being a d**k. And his handling of Enoch as far as playing time wasn't wrong but maybe his coaching was off. Nonetheless Enoch was not a very good player at UConn and much of that was on him as a player so he can share in not being a successful Husky. He's better because of a year off and maybe finally listening. What we don't know about him besides his scoring is if he's any good on defense or is he the same dreadful defender who can now score a little?

Reaction Score
I've come to the realization that the difference between his first two year and the remainder of his tenure is simple.
BAZZ.
Bazz brought the energy.
Bazz brought the tenacity.
Bazz brought everything.
KO watched.
I would also argue that Calhoun was still a big part of the program and provided guidance to Ollie. After the NC, Ollie tossed coach aside like an old sock.

Reaction Score
Sorry can't believe he said he had no interest in coaching him. We can all agree that he wasn't a very good coach in the last 2-3 years, not the same guy but there is no chance I would believe he ever said that to him even with his father being a d**k. And his handling of Enoch as far as playing time wasn't wrong but maybe his coaching was off. Nonetheless Enoch was not a very good player at UConn and much of that was on him as a player so he can share in not being a successful Husky. He's better because of a year off and maybe finally listening. What we don't know about him besides his scoring is if he's any good on defense or is he the same dreadful defender who can now score a little?
Vance came to Ollie begging for him to coach him up and to develop his game and Ollie just told him to get in the gym. Enoch and Vance are both better because they are now being coached.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Always said that in a perfect world, Enoch would've done a fifth year of prep, then redshirted a year.

Oh well. World hasn't been perfect around here for a good long while.
Are we done with early LOIs?

(I think I know answer, but hope springs eternal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom