Transfer season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN

Ohio State exodus continues: Daniel Giddens, Mickey Mitchell and now A.J. Harris all transferring.

View attachment 12863 2h

Giddens has that look of sitting out a year and coming back a monster. Strong frame, have seen him show signs of owning the inside despite the short numbers of 3.7/3.2. Take him in a second, the crowd was good that day and he should have been impressed with Storrs that day getting their a**es handed to them?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Giddens has that look of sitting out a year and coming back a monster. Strong frame, have seen him show signs of owning the inside despite the short numbers of 3.7/3.2. Take him in a second, the crowd was good that day and he should have been impressed with Storrs that day getting their a**es handed to them?
Lower rebound rate than Brimah, lower block rate than Brimah, and shoots 45% from the line.

Pass.

Reaction Score

Albrecht is an interesting one. Not an impact guy, and missed most of the season to injury, but he was Michigan's starting PG last year and played 32 minutes per. Career 40% shooter from 3, gets some assists, doesn't turn it over. He might be looking for a place he can start, and if that's the case, he'll find one, but if he's ok being a rotation guy, he's definitely my first choice.

This guy is literally perfect for what we're looking for and can provide leadership and deep tourny experience that we will now be lacking. Think Vital can be a real nice piece, but I'd take the proven player over the unproven.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That Ohio State home and home which was supposed to bolster our OOC is starting to look like a marginal opponent. Good for exposure, not so much for RPI anymore.

Reaction Score
I'd be worried about how effective he is after that hip surgery.
yeah, I highly doubt he's gonna be the same player.

This is from when he shut it down at Michigan earlier in the season:

Because for the 22 years he has been walking, the doctors feel he has been adding to the problems of his genetic hip conditions. The last few years and the intensity of playing major college basketball may have aggravated it even more leading to the two offseason hip surgeries to repair torn labrums.

Four to five months after surgery, he expected it would be improving. Constant rehab, limited practice, Michigan and Albrecht were taking every precaution — and it barely mattered.

Doctors told him the soft tissue had to regenerate and he didn’t give it enough time.

When he sat on the bench Tuesday at SMU in the second half, fearing that U-M coach John Beilein would ask him to go back in the game as his hips were locking, that was the final sign. He knew that his genetic condition, the one where he sees how his father, Chuck, moves and needs two hip replacements, was something he had to avoid now, not later.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...spike-albrecht-retires-hip-michigan/77139936/

Reaction Score
yeah, I highly doubt he's gonna be the same player.

This is from when he shut it down at Michigan earlier in the season:

Because for the 22 years he has been walking, the doctors feel he has been adding to the problems of his genetic hip conditions. The last few years and the intensity of playing major college basketball may have aggravated it even more leading to the two offseason hip surgeries to repair torn labrums.

Four to five months after surgery, he expected it would be improving. Constant rehab, limited practice, Michigan and Albrecht were taking every precaution — and it barely mattered.

Doctors told him the soft tissue had to regenerate and he didn’t give it enough time.

When he sat on the bench Tuesday at SMU in the second half, fearing that U-M coach John Beilein would ask him to go back in the game as his hips were locking, that was the final sign. He knew that his genetic condition, the one where he sees how his father, Chuck, moves and needs two hip replacements, was something he had to avoid now, not later.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...spike-albrecht-retires-hip-michigan/77139936/
Yea, good luck to him but that doesn't sound like something you get back to being 100% from, we saw what happened to Omar.

Reaction Score
Lower rebound rate than Brimah, lower block rate than Brimah, and shoots 45% from the line.

Pass.

Guess I only saw good minutes from the kid, those aren't really good. He will be a better rebounder than Brimah but 45% at the line is glaringly weak. Something to work with? Maybe, he certainly had his moments but I guess not enough of them for Thad to play him more - pass may be best don't need another one who doesn't improve much.

His 7 and 6 vs the Huskies may have mislead me, but he does miss FTs too. He was a tough kid around the hoop but that doesn't always lead to success as in this case it would seem.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Ohio St. was a pretty big team, that may have lead to less rebounds for a guy who played very little min. He's got a great frame, is already pretty strong, athletic, and may be able to take over the rim protecting role after Brimah is gone. Also read some articles about his transfer, and a common theme seemed to be he was a very good teamate and person. This is the type of kid you use one of your last scholerships on, at minimum all adding him does is add depth. No brainer.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Ohio St. was a pretty big team, that may have lead to less rebounds for a guy who played very little min. He's got a great frame, is already pretty strong, athletic, and may be able to take over the rim protecting role after Brimah is gone. Also read some articles about his transfer, and a common theme seemed to be he was a very good teamate and person. This is the type of kid you use one of your last scholerships on, at minimum all adding him does is add depth. No brainer.
Also saw that he supposedly wants to be closer to home which is GA...even though Ricky Moore has set up a nice GA pipeline to Storrs I doubt that we qualify if that truly is his main transfer reasoning

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Also saw that he supposedly wants to be closer to home which is GA...even though Ricky Moore has set up a nice GA pipeline to Storrs I doubt that we qualify if that truly is his main transfer reasoning
I have no idea if we are interested, or if he's interested(Working on finding this out though), just hoping there's some mutual interest.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Guess I only saw good minutes from the kid, those aren't really good. He will be a better rebounder than Brimah but 45% at the line is glaringly weak. Something to work with? Maybe, he certainly had his moments but I guess not enough of them for Thad to play him more - pass may be best don't need another one who doesn't improve much.

His 7 and 6 vs the Huskies may have mislead me, but he does miss FTs too. He was a tough kid around the hoop but that doesn't always lead to success as in this case it would seem.
If we were in the spot we were 2 or 3 years ago, obviously he'd be on our list. But we've made it through the bad times and are getting in high 4- and 5-star big men.

We don't need anymore projects unless they have one absolutely outstanding trait (Amida's shot-blocking) to build around.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If we were in the spot we were 2 or 3 years ago, obviously he'd be on our list. But we've made it through the bad times and are getting in high 4- and 5-star big men.

We don't need anymore projects unless they have one absolutely outstanding trait (Amida's shot-blocking) to build around.
Seems like more than eternity ago the program was in a bad way and not 3 years ago. Which is why so many people are pessimistic about things when they probably should be optimistic.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Anyone know why OSU is having a mass exodus?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Grant Mullins transferring from Columbia. Averaged 13.3 points, shot 44% from 3 last year. He's got good size at 6-3. Not a gamechanger here, but should be able to hit some shots.
I wouldn't be against this. Kid is a pure sniper and plays well off of the work done by others.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be against this. Kid is a pure sniper and plays well off of the work done by others.
3 AST per game and a 130 ORtg. He's not a ball stopper himself. I don't think we'll show interest, but I'd also be in for someone like him for a year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grant Mullins transferring from Columbia. Averaged 13.3 points, shot 44% from 3 last year. He's got good size at 6-3. Not a gamechanger here, but should be able to hit some shots.
I watched him play @ Cornell in January. He played with high energy but wasn't a major factor in that game. His teammate, Luke Petrasek, was impressive. A big guy that rebounded well and shot well from three.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Ivy leaguer tells ESPN he will play elsewhere next season? As opposed to what? Going into the workforce? Obviously he will play elsewhere since Ivies don't allow grad students to play.

Reaction Score
The Ivy leaguer tells ESPN he will play elsewhere next season? As opposed to what? Going into the workforce? Obviously he will play elsewhere since Ivies don't allow grad students to play.

They are allowed to play if don't graduate and simply extend their degree with a new minor or something, but that typically means paying a good chunk of change for an Ivy student due to the fact that they have some financial aid but not full scholarships or something.

In other words, it is complicated but not impossible for redshirts to play a 4th year there, but the other Ivy rules make it less attractive.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
They are allowed to play if don't graduate and simply extend their degree with a new minor or something, but that typically means paying a good chunk of change for an Ivy student due to the fact that they have some financial aid but not full scholarships or something.

In other words, it is complicated but not impossible for redshirts to play a 4th year there, but the other Ivy rules make it less attractive.

Ah gotcha. So it's plausible but sounds rather pointless. You would have an undergrad degree from an Ivy either way. Why not transfer and get an additional grad degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom