Transfer Portal | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
100%. Again, this narrative is manifesting itself from delusional to downright crazy.
Wrong, what is delusional to downright crazy is the fact that so many of you feel compelled to attempt to fix the narrative. Responding is an option, not a requirement.

Reaction Score
I mean let’s be honest so far they haven’t recruited a good PG who was successful in our program, that’s a bit scary. Without RJ transferring in it’s been a failure. Need to get good PGs out of HS as well.

Hope we get Newton and another, I’m fine with the portal. But being a historic PG school whiffing on the last 2 is a bit nerve racking.

We recruited Cole via the portal. He was all big east 1st team. Led UConn to back to back NCAA tournaments.

Reaction Score
It’s 2 that made a difference. But one was not his although he didn’t grab another because he thought Gaff was the answer. He wasn’t and really showed no signs he would be minus a game or 2 as a soph.

But agree, Castle can turn it all around and thereafter.

Gaff would have been a fine PG in the AAC. His best season was freshman year when we played there.

Reaction Score
Wrong, what is delusional to downright crazy is the fact that so many of you feel compelled to attempt to fix the narrative. Responding is an option, not a requirement.
Not when it’s a false narrative. That’s what makes it so crazy and your response delusional.

Reaction Score
Hearing Ramey is next on the list or staff is putting alot of energy into
I like it. High major veteran (will be 5th year) B12 has been a war the last 4 years. Played 30 min a night on a top 15 team. Gaffney role upgrade. Hopefully we get a good shooting year from him (he shot great junior year 41% and non-conf senior year 40%, but struggled in senior year conference play 31%).

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Confirmed. :)

(Whoever that rando on twitter is who tweeted last week that Newton & Ramey were our targets knew his stuff. Probably worth a follow.)
No disrespect intended. I was skeptical because it seemed too good to be true.

Carry on good sir.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
No disrespect intended. I was skeptical because it seemed too good to be true.

Carry on good sir.
I was skeptical, too! I think it's smart to be skeptical about new "insiders" since most of them are BS and a lot of us old heads aren't getting as much as we used to (though I think @Zionn is, as always, the exception there).

But this guy had it really early, so props to him.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I was skeptical, too! I think it's smart to be skeptical about new "insiders" since most of them are BS and a lot of us old heads aren't getting as much as we used to (though I think @Zionn is, as always, the exception there).

But this guy had it really early, so props to him.
I can't find it now, who was that tweet from?

Reaction Score
I mean let’s be honest so far they haven’t recruited a good PG who was successful in our program, that’s a bit scary. Without RJ transferring in it’s been a failure. Need to get good PGs out of HS as well.

Hope we get Newton and another, I’m fine with the portal. But being a historic PG school whiffing on the last 2 is a bit nerve racking.
"RJ transferring in" is like, our starting point guard for half of Hurley's tenure.

Yes, Hurley needs to get better at recruiting PGs out of high school. A sample size of 2 (Gaffney, Diggins) is pretty small though.

Also, we're a historic everything school. We've had lottery picks at the 1 (Kemba), 2 (Ray, Rip, Ben Gordon, Lamb, Bouknight), 3 (Caron, Rudy Gay), 4 (Donyell, Villanueva, Armstrong), and 5 (Okafor, Thabeet, Drummond).

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Tenspro2002, post: 4283902, member: 889]
Also, we're a historic everything school.
[/QUOTE]
^^^ this

Reaction Score
I like it. High major veteran (will be 5th year) B12 has been a war the last 4 years. Played 30 min a night on a top 15 team. Gaffney role upgrade. Hopefully we get a good shooting year from him (he shot great junior year 41% and non-conf senior year 40%, but struggled in senior year conference play 31%).
100% agree.

If we bring in Newton & Ramey that's a heck of a response to losing Diggins and Gaffney.

RJ Cole was awesome, but there's a fair-to-good chance that the combination of Newton/Ramey is a net gain compared to Cole/Gaffney/Diggins last year.

Now let's get those two on board!

Reaction Score
Hearing Ramey is next on the list or staff is putting alot of energy into
Cart before the horse, but...
uconnprojection23.png

47 minutes split between Floyd, Karaban, Johnson, and Akok. I added some bullishness to the projected offensive inputs, because I think it has underrated Hawkins especially. Also think Newton will see some improved 3pt shooting and efficiency gains from lower workload. I set the bench pieces to 4* (and high end 4* for the bigs).

Comes back with a range of 17th-38th with balanced outlook of 27th. That's with (knock on wood) Newton and Ramey, without adding any meaningful 3rd piece. Can do your own here:

Reaction Score
Cart before the horse, but...
uconnprojection23.png

47 minutes split between Floyd, Karaban, Johnson, and Akok. I added some bullishness to the projected offensive inputs, because I think it has underrated Hawkins especially. Also think Newton will see some improved 3pt shooting and efficiency gains from lower workload. I set the bench pieces to 4* (and high end 4* for the bigs).

Comes back with a range of 17th-38th with balanced outlook of 27th. That's with (knock on wood) Newton and Ramey, without adding any meaningful 3rd piece. Can do your own here:
Good stuff. I played around at Bart Torvik’s site, and Newton and Ramey bumped us from 50 to 35. I think the playing time is off, and it’s too early for projections, but I’ll take two players who would hypothetically push us past 15 teams. I feel comfortable expecting another top-25 team with those two.

Attachments

• FE37756D-1893-4102-AC31-D15188E5B452.jpeg
    FE37756D-1893-4102-AC31-D15188E5B452.jpeg
    818.3 KB · Views: 165

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We recruited Cole via the portal. He was all big east 1st team. Led UConn to back to back NCAA tournaments.
If Cole didn’t play for his father and if DH didn’t know RJ what are the chances he comes to UConn. I realize that he went to JCs camp but without the connection, you may wonder. Glad he did

Reaction Score
If Cole didn’t play for his father and if DH didn’t know RJ what are the chances he comes to UConn. I realize that he went to JCs camp but without the connection, you may wonder. Glad he did
Recruiting is about relationships & leveraging them. All fair play w/ Rj, & his relationship to the Hurley family shouldn’t diminish DH landing him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom