Transfer Portal | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the 100th time, throw a dart at the Sweet Sixteen bracket and you’ll hit a team that used the portal to fortify at least one position on it’s roster. Do you actually disagree with that?

You’ll be able to charge a lot of money for your Roster Management Consulting business, since everybody is doing it wrong.

But they weren't starters who filled in gaping holes, they were back up and fill in pieces for depth.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is a total straw man and you know it. No one is here saying we’re in the ideal spot or this was all part of the plan. Clearly there were two big recruiting misses that put us in this bad spot. The horrible opinion you keep beating on is that this is somehow a roster management issue or that we’d be appreciably better off right now if Gaffney and Sool hadn’t transferrred. Regardless of if they stayed or not, Hurley was going to have to bring in two portal guards or we’d be in a horrible spot next year.
The primary issue is this: we have no point guard now. the two we had (Diggins and Gaff) left. So did the ballhandlers who at times carried the weight (Cole and Martin). We are now totally at the mercy of the transfer portal for ballhandlers who are completely unfamiliar with our program since we have no PG incoming ballhandlers as recruits for next year. I don't see it as an either/or (dichotomy) matter but both/and (management and transfers out). Is it just chance that we are suddenly without any PG worthy players? It appears to be a matter of a series of mismanagement (poor planning) and crucial gambles (playing time and recruiting) that find us in this predicament. I hope there are many things that I don't know about this situation and DH is going to "pull some rabbits out of a hat" (portal) to correct it. I will happily eat a full plate of crow if I am wrong.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
lol…

You mean like having a point guard? You know, that old outdated method of recruiting point guards, developing them and then playing them? All those outdated things that we didn’t do this year, but that teams like Villanova do so very well - those outdated things?

The portal ain’t a plan - the portal is where you go when your plan fails.

JFC.
The game has passed you by.

Time to hang 'em up buddy.

Reaction Score
But they weren't starters who filled in gaping holes, they were back up and fill in pieces for depth.
I'll go through the KenPom top teams from this past year:
  • Kansas - Remy Martin was brought in to start at PG. He was pre-season B12 POTY as a transfer. He sucked and got benched, and then played starter minutes in the tournament (played 60% of minutes in last 5 tournament games).
  • Gonzaga - Andrew Nembhard from Gonzaga was brought in to start in 2021 (but played more off ball) and then in 2022 started as on ball PG.
  • Houston - Kyler Edwards was brought in to start. Taze Moore also started the year starting. Josh Carlton was more of a depth pierece, but all 3 were starting in NCAA tournament.
  • Baylor - James Akinjo was brought in to start at PG. Adam Flagler more of a depth transfer.
  • Arizona - Justin Kier ended up starting at PG in the tournament, but was more for depth in the beginning of the year.
  • Kentucky - Literally started 4 guys who were transfers who were brought in to start when they arrived.
  • Texas Tech - Literally started 4 guys who were brought in as transfers to start.
  • Duke - Theo John only rotation transfer, definitely more depth.
  • Tennessee - Justin Powell and Victor Bailey only rotation transfers, definitely more depth.
  • Villanova - Caleb Daniels was brought in to start in 2021 (and started every game but one).
So all 10 teams had a transfer in the rotation and 7 of the 10 had at least 1 transfer who started their team's opening games the year they arrived on campus.

Reaction Score
  • Kansas - Remy Martin was brought in to start at PG. He was pre-season B12 POTY as a transfer. He sucked and got benched, and then played starter minutes in the tournament (played 60% of minutes in last 5 tournament games).
  • Gonzaga - Andrew Nembhard from Gonzaga was brought in to start in 2021 (but played more off ball) and then in 2022 started as on ball PG.
  • Houston - Kyler Edwards was brought in to start. Taze Moore also started the year starting. Josh Carlton was more of a depth pierece, but all 3 were starting in NCAA tournament.
  • Baylor - James Akinjo was brought in to start at PG. Adam Flagler more of a depth transfer.
  • Arizona - Justin Kier ended up starting at PG in the tournament, but was more for depth in the beginning of the year.
  • Kentucky - Literally started 4 guys who were transfers who were brought in to start when they arrived.
  • Texas Tech - Literally started 4 guys who were brought in as transfers to start.
  • Tennessee - Justin Powell and Victor Bailey only rotation transfers, definitely more depth.
  • Villanova - Caleb Daniels was brought in to start in 2021 (and started every game but one).
So all 10 teams had a transfer in the rotation and 7 of the 10 had at least 1 transfer who started their team's opening games the year they arrived on campus.
Clearly all of those coaches had their original plan fail though. Bottom of the barrel programs that can’t recruit the traditional way! That’s why only 7 out of those 10 programs have played in a national championship game in the last 7 years. Right, @Fishy?

Reaction Score
Clearly all of those coaches had their original plan fail though. Bottom of the barrel programs that can’t recruit the traditional way! That’s why only 7 out of those 10 programs have played in a national championship game in the last 7 years. Right, @Fishy?
him and @Kathy won’t let these facts get in the way of their storyline

Reaction Score

Thank you. And imagine if you also did this for Arkansas, UNC, Miami, Providence, etc.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that you need both homegrown and transfers. Some years you might have a couple transfer guys making an impact and others just one. If you don't use transfers to fill holes, you'll guarantee yourself seasons that'll fail to meet expectations and program potential (see UConn in the years after title runs/when guys left early for the draft, etc).

Reaction Score
In summary, when you look at the KenPom top-50, only Duke, Tennessee, Purdue, Wisconsin and Colorado State are the only teams without transfers playing 20+ mpg.

In other words, about 90% of "good" teams have a transfer playing starter or starter-ish minutes.
Facts don’t matter when it doesn’t support your narrative. Especially on here.

Reaction Score
This website is too easy to find.

We’ve added too many dregs.
I mean it would be one thing if Hurley didn’t have any interest in building the program organically. It’s clear to anyone paying attention a combo of both strategies is needed. He’s gotten us Bouknight, Jackson, Sanogo (who was a SHU lock until the 25th hour), Hawkins, and Floyd, and Clinigan, Karaban, and Castle coming. Like are you trolling or do you really believe what you’re writing?

Reaction Score
@Chin Diesel, this guy did the anti-Guadarrama.

Wyoming was 25-9 last year as the 12-seed and:
  • Return their best player, Hunter Maldonado (18.5p, 5.7r, 6.3a) for a fifth year
  • Return their top scorer scorer Graham Ike (19.5p, 9.6r)
  • Return eight of their nine top scorers from this season.
That level of roster continuity unheard of nowadays, so don't sleep on Wyoming.

Anderson was a low-20s mpg player at USC, but considering the returning talent to Laramie, he won't even be needed to start.

I've also read that USC's Max Agbonkpolo and UCLA's Jake Kyman visited Wyoming earlier this week.

Dayton is another team with a ton of continuity entering 22-23.

Anderson is definitely going to start and move Maldonado off the ball. Maldo had 10 turnovers against Indiana. They lost Williams to A & M so he had to run the show.

Anderson has been plagued with some back issues in his career but now seems to be healthy. He also has put up some big assist numbers at USC when healthy. The guy is a tough physical guard that could put it all together and might be the most underrated PG transfer of them all.

Reaction Score
The primary issue is this: we have no point guard now. the two we had (Diggins and Gaff) left. So did the ballhandlers who at times carried the weight (Cole and Martin). We are now totally at the mercy of the transfer portal for ballhandlers who are completely unfamiliar with our program since we have no PG incoming ballhandlers as recruits for next year. I don't see it as an either/or (dichotomy) matter but both/and (management and transfers out). Is it just chance that we are suddenly without any PG worthy players? It appears to be a matter of a series of mismanagement (poor planning) and crucial gambles (playing time and recruiting) that find us in this predicament. I hope there are many things that I don't know about this situation and DH is going to "pull some rabbits out of a hat" (portal) to correct it. I will happily eat a full plate of crow if I am wrong.
You can play semantics any way you want. The bottom line is if Hurley was giving a combo of Gaffney/Sool anything close to starter minutes next year, this team was in for a heap of trouble. Whether they stayed or not, Hurley was going to be hitting the portal for two better guards to fill out the roster.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
lol…

You mean like having a point guard? You know, that old outdated method of recruiting point guards, developing them and then playing them? All those outdated things that we didn’t do this year, but that teams like Villanova do so very well - those outdated things?

The portal ain’t a plan - the portal is where you go when your plan fails.

JFC.
I usually agree with your takes on here but I’m not really sure what your overall point is here that you keep digging at. Hurley whiffed on Gaffney and Diggins? Yes. He did. It sucks but it happens.
Am I concerned about the roster today as it stands? Yes. But maybe you should take a nap and we can wake you up in October.

For every Villanova example you bring up, I can bring up a successful team who used a transfer as a key piece of their rotation- Remy Martin and Kansas. And that worked out pretty well for them.

If we bring in 2 guys as good or worse than Diggins and Gaffney? Sure, then we’re screwed. But if we get 2 commits from the guys we’re linked with, then it’s a winning net result I think. And I don’t think of Hurley as less of a coach because of it.

And it’s not like Hurley wants to build the majority of his roster around transfers- he’s made that pretty clear.

The overall “plan” hasn’t failed, we just failed on 2 of our guard recruits.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i am sorry that many/most of u don't actually play the game, cuz iffn u did, u would have noticed that little noticed post by an actual baller who mentioned playing with some carter guy who apparently is on some of youse deathwish list.
to summarize - pass. not impressive. now, that's info.
and speaking of transfers, and in the other direction, let's check on javonte, shall we?
his first year of actually playing is now complete. that's odd, apparently playing 450 minutes less than 'sir stop touching me,' jb equalled mr minutes waste in boards, assists, and blocks. wait, what?
7 mins, couple points, couple of boards, 31 games played in, including 11 games started, for the sec and nit runner up team. in the conf tourney, his team beat Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas, only losing to Tennessee in the champ game. then they lost to x in the nit champ game.
good move, dude.
i think amazon is at ur door with the pro version of nerf that you ordered.
get the headband and sketchers out. and don't forget to draft a new player for ur fantasy league team. that'll up ur cardio.

Last edited:

MJ1

Reaction Score
Is it me or does the Transfer Portal players seem less talented this year vs last year ?

Reaction Score
Speaking of Villanova... Became a big fan of Brandon Slater this season. Just a dog, lefty can do a bit of everything. I had no idea he was a senior, did he just sit the bench for 3 years?

Reaction Score
Is it me or does the Transfer Portal players seem less talented this year vs last year ?
Last year was a bit of an aberration with the beginning of the one-time transfer waivers on top of the less than ideal COVID years. There's a lot of good starter-level players, but there's less "stars".

Reaction Score
I don't think so, but maybe it appears this way since most of the best players haven't committed yet.

On an unrelated, but local CT basketball note, Sacred Heart has been active in the portal:
  • Today: Brendan McGuire, 6'7 190 SR from Quinnipiac.
    • From Garden City, NY, played at St. Thomas More
  • Yesterday: Raheem Solomon, 6'3 180 GR from Niagara.
    • Hartford kid, went to Sacred Heart HS in Waterbury.
  • Earlier in the week: Aidan Carpenter, 6'5 195 JR from Siena.
    • Hamden kid, went to Lee Academy.
Interesting that all of Sacred Heart's transfers are local kids who played in the MAAC, each playing 20ish minutes/game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
stole this from the other board,

im thinking that u could fill out a whole conference with 'the unchosen' when it's all said and done. like the sign in my office sez 'when all is said and done, more will be said than done.'
mr throat puncher is onto something. mos def.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01