Transfer Portal Porta Potty | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Porta Potty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What he does all the time is exaggerate someone else's claims to a ridiculous level; (i.e. win the SEC championship) then proceeds to comment on his exxaggeration as if it came from the OP. I think it makes him look silly, like he thinks no one is on to him.
This is what I said in this thread. And for the record, I was mocking the fact that Pitino thought he was going to compete in the Big East with MAAC players long before this thread.

Either he is a good player or he isn't. Rather than argue the merits of whether some decent MAAC player is really going to move the needle in a major conference, posters like yourself just attack. You have multiple posts on this topic simply attacking me rather than arguing that this guy is actually any good.

For those scoring at home, the MAAC was the #23 conference in KenPom and the NET, out of 32. Comparing him to Newton is a stretch. Newton was successful in the AAC, and as much as the AAC is a joke, it is always a Top 10 league.

If you guys really think Claxton is going to move the needle in the SEC, then Butler is poised for Big East domination with their St. Francis and Central Arkansas transfers.
You called him a random MAAC player, turns out he was MAAC player of the year.
The rest is noise.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You called him a random MAAC player, turns out he was MAAC player of the year.
The rest is noise.

If MAAC players were better than Big East players, then the MAAC would be better than the Big East. Since it isn't, the rest is noise.

You are like the 20th poster in this thread that has defended this Iona guy without defending this Iona guy. Can we get a 21st?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Now THIS is interesting news. Despite breathless reports on Twitter that Creighton's basketball program was disintegrating, which was then amplified in this thread, it turns out one of the better NBA prospects in the Big East is not going anywhere. Interesting that Nembhard leaves for a school that had a humiliating first round exit, and no other key Creighton players follow him out the door (so far, at least).

Reaction Score
For those scoring at home, the MAAC was the #23 conference in KenPom and the NET, out of 32. Comparing him to Newton is a stretch. Newton was successful in the AAC, and as much as the AAC is a joke, it is always a Top 10 league.

If you guys really think Claxton is going to move the needle in the SEC, then Butler is poised for Big East domination with their St. Francis and Central Arkansas transfers.
Newton in '22 - 4.2 porp! as a junior
Clayton in '23 - 4.1 porp! as a soph

He wasn't just a random MAAC player. He was player of the year in the conference as a sophomore. On his team was a pre-season first conference guy, and he flat out outplayed him. He was really good and there's real room for growth.

Pretty easy to see how he'd do in the Big East. He just put up 15 with 4 assists and was one of the main reasons Iona was beating the best team in the Big East and eventual national champions at halftime. KC Ndefo just translated pretty well to the conference also.

He will in all likelihood be less effective in a major conference (like Newton was), but the translation will likely be to "good starter" level in SEC this year and then as I posted elsewhere in this thread I expect him to be all-conference level as a senior.

Do you know who the best transfer from the MAAC was 2 years ago? Jalen Pickett. Had a good starter level in year 1 at a major conference and then was an All American in year 2. Clayton was better this year than Pickett was in the MAAC.

Reaction Score
Either he is a good player or he isn't. Rather than argue the merits of whether some decent MAAC player is really going to move the needle in a major conference, posters like yourself just attack. You have multiple posts on this topic simply attacking me rather than arguing that this guy is actually any good.

RJ Cole came out of the MEAC, Nowell came out of the OVC, Jordan Miller and Jacob Toppin out of the A-10, Omier out of the Sun Belt, Scheierman out of the Summit... do you want me to continue? Plenty of posters have presented arguments for why this is not a great look for Pitino (he was all-conference, put up good numbers when he played better competition, St. John's has no guards on the roster for next season, etc.). You're attacking the quality of those arguments while the entirety of your argument has been that he played in the MAAC.

Also, maybe the fact that Florida, St. John's, and Kansas, among others, were recruiting him in the portal, should give you a good indication of how he was viewed by people that know way more than you or me about this.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Nerd!
D362D9F2-EA16-465E-B3C3-D16A458EB294.jpeg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
RJ Cole came out of the MEAC, Nowell came out of the OVC, Jordan Miller and Jacob Toppin out of the A-10, Omier out of the Sun Belt, Scheierman out of the Summit... do you want me to continue? Plenty of posters have presented arguments for why this is not a great look for Pitino (he was all-conference, put up good numbers when he played better competition, St. John's has no guards on the roster for next season, etc.). You're attacking the quality of those arguments while the entirety of your argument has been that he played in the MAAC.

Also, maybe the fact that Florida, St. John's, and Kansas, among others, were recruiting him in the portal, should give you a good indication of how he was viewed by people that know way more than you or me about this.
Scoreboard!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

He wasn't just a random MAAC player. He was player of the year in the conference as a sophomore. On his team was a pre-season first conference guy, and he flat out outplayed him. He was really good and there's real room for growth.

Pretty easy to see how he'd do in the Big East. He just put up 15 with 4 assists and was one of the main reasons Iona was beating the best team in the Big East and eventual national champions at halftime. KC Ndefo just translated pretty well to the conference also.

He will in all likelihood be less effective in a major conference (like Newton was), but the translation will likely be to "good starter" level in SEC this year and then as I posted elsewhere in this thread I expect him to be all-conference level as a senior.

Do you know who the best transfer from the MAAC was 2 years ago? Jalen Pickett. Had a good starter level in year 1 at a major conference and then was an All American in year 2. Clayton was better this year than Pickett was in the MAAC.

If he is so great, why can't a single poster in this thread prior to this post say that Florida is going to be good now that he is on the team? Either he is good, or he isn't. This board is exhausting with its endless "this [recruit/transfer] will be a star" but then none of these portal/recruiting experts on this board have the stones to actually predict he will be a star.

You are literally the ONLY POSTER IN THIS THREAD who went even a few inches out on a limb to predict how he will turn out at Florida. Congratulations.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If MAAC players were better than Big East players, then the MAAC would be better than the Big East. Since it isn't, the rest is noise.
You know this is silly nonsense unworthy of a response. Why do you write it? UConn is going all out to land a player from an inferior conference than the MAAC. So Hurley is an idiot too?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You know this is silly nonsense unworthy of a response. Why do you write it? UConn is going all out to land a player from an inferior conference than the MAAC. So Hurley is an idiot too?

You are the one arguing contradictory positions, so don't loop some new round of nonsense with Hurley into this.

Reaction Score
This is what I said in this thread. And for the record, I was mocking the fact that Pitino thought he was going to compete in the Big East with MAAC players long before this thread.

Enough already. Nobody on this board cares enough to beat this dead horse anymore.

Reaction Score
Didn’t the girls get Lopez senocal out of the maac. I guess geno must be an idiot

Reaction Score
If he is so great, why can't a single poster in this thread prior to this post say that Florida is going to be good now that he is on the team? Either he is good, or he isn't. This board is exhausting with its endless "this [recruit/transfer] will be a star" but then none of these portal/recruiting experts on this board have the stones to actually predict he will be a star.

You are literally the ONLY POSTER IN THIS THREAD who went even a few inches out on a limb to predict how he will turn out at Florida. Congratulations.
Thanks. It's a team sport and their coach is still unproven. He had success at a fairly low mid major and got a lot of acclaim for being really smart, but then they underachieved a lot last season even before their best player got hurt, so it's difficult to say how good the team will be. He might just not be ready for a high major job. That's going to be a bigger factor to team success than how good Clayton is.

Clayton could miss. His 3-pt and FT shooting could regress. But the track record is pretty good for players who were that good and that young. He's in the Mark Sears, Norchad Omier, Tre Mitchell, Tyson Walker neighborhood.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
My favorite boneyard drug is watching people try and argue w/ Nelson using logic & facts, just to get frustrated that he doesn’t agree with them. It’s ruined all productivity on some work days.
Mine is the ignore button but posters are cutting it with baby laxatives by discussing ignored posters to no end

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are the one arguing contradictory positions, so don't loop some new round of nonsense with Hurley into this.
He's goes for the deflection, not even close. Or true.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
FWIW, the low level transfers work out when they’re role players on the team and not the stars.

Think the RJ Cole and Tristan Newton situations prove exactly that. Even with Timberlake, he would probably be the 4th to 5th best player on the team depending on who comes back.

Newton was the 5th to 6th best player on the team and it resulted in a championship. RJ was the 2nd and 1st best player and it resulted in 2 first round exits.

Reaction Score
So you think he will carry Florida to a great season or not?
Yea, he'll be NPOY averaging 37ppg and they'll win the ship with an undefeated record. And as the confetti falls in PHX, he'll scream 'How bout that, Nelson?!' into the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom