Transfer Portal Porta Potty | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Porta Potty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My goal posts have not budged an inch. You and the rest of the transfer portal junkies are arguing that both A) this guy is a big loss for Pitino and B) he isn’t going to move the needle on a mediocre Florida team.

Got it.
It's very hard to tell whether you're being deliberately obtuse or this is totally honest. The amount of strawmen you attack per post is higher than anyone on this board.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Please quote the post of anyone claiming Florida will win an SEC championship.
What he does all the time is exaggerate someone else's claims to a ridiculous level; (i.e. win the SEC championship) then proceeds to comment on his exxaggeration as if it came from the OP. I think it makes him look silly, like he thinks no one is on to him.

Reaction Score
At this point who does St Johns even have on the roster, is it really basically just Soriano?

Reaction Score
As a soph he was about as good as Newton was before he came to us as a junior. He can absolutely be a difference maker for them. I expect he'll be good this year and All Conference SEC in 2 years.

Reaction Score
What he does all the time is exaggerate someone else's claims to a ridiculous level; (i.e. win the SEC championship) then proceeds to comment on his exxaggeration as if it came from the OP. I think it makes him look silly, like he thinks no one is on to him.

That would be the definition of a straw man argument.

It's amazing how I can read this thread with the person on ignore and know EXACTLY who you all are talking about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You claim this guy is great, then refuse to make a single prediction about how great he is.

Florida was .500 in the SEC last year. What do you think a fair projection is now that the Gators have one of the better players from the MAAC?

Reaction Score
You claim this guy is great, then refuse to make a single prediction about how great he is.

Florida was .500 in the SEC last year. What do you think a fair projection is now that the Gators have one of the better players from the MAAC?
Well if they finish .501 he improved their team and was therefore a good pickup

Reaction Score

Can I help bring you back to reality for a second? The actual real discussion (not the one you're having in your head) was that he's a good player and sought after recruit that many thought was a lock to commit to his former coach at St. John's (who currently has almost no one on the roster for next season) and thus was a bad loss for Pitino.

You've taken this down some bonkers rabbit holes and strawmen but I have no idea how the actual point being made is even arguable.

Reaction Score
rick pitinio learning the lessons that many of learned before him: its hard to get quality players to come to a mid-major league that no one watches on tv
Who watches the big 12 after Texas and Oklahoma leave...... I’ll tell you...nobody

Reaction Score
My goal posts have not budged an inch. You and the rest of the transfer portal junkies are arguing that both A) this guy is a big loss for Pitino and B) he isn’t going to move the needle on a mediocre Florida team.

Got it.
You’re refusing to acknowledge context. It’s a big loss for Pitino because it was a player he coached last season that he prioritized and still couldn’t land. It has nothing to do with his abilities. But more to do with the optics.

Reaction Score
Florida must have a lot of NIL money they had their worst year in forever yet beat Pitino for a really nice recruit. Clayton is a really good shooter and combo. Bizarre choice for development, but the pull of NIL and returning home is strong.

If you went to the UF game, it was amazing how bad they were and Golden let Castleton do whatever the h he wanted, bring it down, shoot from outside. Weird coaching imo. Is Castleton back for like a 10th year?

Reaction Score
People have lost sight of the original intent of Athletics in Universities. They were not intended to be revenue/profit centers, rather offerings for a student body that made the overall "College Experience" positive.
Unfortunately, we’re part of a dying breed of idealists who believe that the primary objective of colleges and universities is to provide a superior academic experience. I honestly believe that the only league who does it right currently is the Ivy League. This is bound to change even for the Ivies as they certainly realize the financial realities of today’s college experience. The realists who prioritize finance over academics will win this battle. The good news is I got to see two wins for Princeton and a National Championship for UConn this year. Either way, life is good. Enjoy the reality and respect other people’s opinions. We can coexist, even if we disagree.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we’re part of a dying breed of idealists who believe that the primary objective of colleges and universities is to provide a superior academic experience. I honestly believe that the only league who does it right currently is the Ivy League. This is bound to change even for the Ivies as they certainly realize the financial realities of today’s college experience. The realists who prioritize finance over academics will win this battle. The good news is I got to see two wins for Princeton and a National Championship for UConn this year. Either way, life is good. Enjoy the reality and respect other people’s opinions. We can coexist, even if we disagree.
Ed Cooley is a wonderful man and does it the right way!

Reaction Score

This is an oversimplification. While finances may be a primary driver, kids make college decisions based on all kinds of reasons. Finances, yes. Winning. Production of NBA players. Playing time. Playing style. Closeness to home. Closeness to relatives. The coach. Comfort level. Facilities. Legacy of parents or family, Girlfriends. Academics. Preferred major. Recruiting priority. And the list goes on and on.

NIL and money is important, no doubt. But these are 17 year old kids (a bit older in the portal), what is important to them varies greatly.

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley is a wonderful man and does it the right way!
Even worse, since I’m in the financial industry, I also know many of the people who are financing the athletic departments and leading the effort on NIL. The reality is they’d rather have their name on the football stadium than the science building.

Reaction Score
Strangest internet personality I've ever come across. Was convinced it was a bot, it's not.
RM2.gif

Reaction Score
What if I were to tell you that the real goal behind having all these non-revenue sports in college is admitting wealthy students who can pay the full bill but who otherwise couldn't be admitted in the regular admission process?

Because Varsity Blues is really how the game is played.

That summer athletics special admission process is academia's best kept secret.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like to laugh at St. John’s and Pitino as much as anyone, but is not getting some random MAAC player that big a deal?

This is what I said in this thread. And for the record, I was mocking the fact that Pitino thought he was going to compete in the Big East with MAAC players long before this thread.

Can I help bring you back to reality for a second? The actual real discussion (not the one you're having in your head) was that he's a good player and sought after recruit that many thought was a lock to commit to his former coach at St. John's (who currently has almost no one on the roster for next season) and thus was a bad loss for Pitino.

You've taken this down some bonkers rabbit holes and strawmen but I have no idea how the actual point being made is even arguable.

Either he is a good player or he isn't. Rather than argue the merits of whether some decent MAAC player is really going to move the needle in a major conference, posters like yourself just attack. You have multiple posts on this topic simply attacking me rather than arguing that this guy is actually any good.

For those scoring at home, the MAAC was the #23 conference in KenPom and the NET, out of 32. Comparing him to Newton is a stretch. Newton was successful in the AAC, and as much as the AAC is a joke, it is always a Top 10 league.

If you guys really think Claxton is going to move the needle in the SEC, then Butler is poised for Big East domination with their St. Francis and Central Arkansas transfers.

Reaction Score
Running college athletics is expensive even for the Ivies but I think they have the financial ability to run in the red forever if they so choose, something not true for most colleges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom