Transfer Portal Porta Potty | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Porta Potty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
None of these coaches are great. JC is great, Wooden is great, Dean Smith is great, Adolph Rupp is great, Cliff Ellis is great, Geno is great, Tara VanDerverr is great, Pat Summit is great, Tarkanien is great, K is arguably considered the greatest in a many eyes. Great is rare. Pitino could be a great but he screwed up too many times. DH, McDermott and Cooley are all good at this point. Great is rarified air.
Cliff Ellis gets named with all of those legends? Seems like a really good coach that has coached for a long time rather than being in your Rushmore. Three Sweet 16s (although one of his Sweet 16 losses is one of my favorites!). Not attacking you for it. I was just surprised. I'd think there are others that would go ahead of him (Izzo, Sutton jump to mind). Is that a common characterization of Ellis?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Cliff Ellis gets named with all of those legends? Seems like a really good coach that has coached for a long time rather than being in your Rushmore. Three Sweet 16s (although one of his Sweet 16 losses is one of my favorites!). Not attacking you for it. I was just surprised. I'd think there are others that would go ahead of him (Izzo, Sutton jump to mind). Is that a common characterization of Ellis?
No. Dean Smith, Coach K, Cliff Ellis -- that is a first. Even for the Boneyard

Reaction Score

I know @husky429 is a big fan. Takes over Paul Mulcahy's spot (not expected to return) on the backcourt alongside Cam Spencer (who is expected to return) and Derek Simpson.

Solid backcourt for Rutgers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know @husky429 is a big fan. Takes over Paul Mulcahy's spot (not expected to return) on the backcourt alongside Cam Spencer (who is expected to return) and Derek Simpson.

Solid backcourt for Rutgers.
As the kids say, STBU(Mass)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you know anything about the man you would consider him a great coach - he saved a lot of kids who would have ended up in less than desireable situations. - its not exclusive to P5 and well known programs and W/L (even though as I recall his was pretty good). These are not a Mt Rushmore.

Reaction Score
If you know anything about the man you would consider him a great coach - he saved a lot of kids who would have ended up in less than desireable situations. - its not exclusive to P5 and well known programs and W/L (even though as I recall his was pretty good). These are not a Mt Rushmore.
Gotcha. So it's really who you think of as "great" taking in the totality of your rankings which includes humanitarian factors as much as wins/losses. I have no issue with that. The world needs more people leaving it better than they found it. But then I'd probably remove Rupp if Ellis is being added (and Pitino left off). Even factoring in "times were different" (and I don't want to get into a political debate).

Reaction Score

Since when did being a good guy factor into being a great coach? Basketball greatness is all about winning.

Calhoun isn't great because he mentored Caron. He's great because he turned a regional b-team into the best basketball program in the country.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Since when did being a good guy factor into being a great coach? Basketball greatness is all about winning.

Calhoun isn't great because he mentored Caron. He's great because he turned a regional b-team into the best basketball program in the country.
And although I love JC there are probably more than a few people who might think he is not the greatest person….”not a dime back” mostly reporters but he got under others skin as well…

Reaction Score
And although I love JC there are probably more than a few people who might think he is not the greatest person….”not a dime back” mostly reporters but he got under others skin as well…
That was your takeaway from not a dime back? The reporters absolutely loved that. It only added to JC's legacy and the Cuse fan Krayeske had to tuck tail after getting dressed down.

Reaction Score
That was your takeaway from not a dime back? The reporters absolutely loved that. It only added to JC's legacy and the Cuse fan Krayeske had to tuck tail after getting dressed down.
My favorite is when he was like “maybe I’d the rest of you did your jobs and reported on this…” to a see of reporters’ groans.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Ok but he was a reporter and JC was not always loved by others….but I get it…more than you think or give me credit for.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ok but he was a reporter and JC was not always loved by others….but I get it…more than you think or give me credit for.
Fans of other boards actually REALLY don’t like JC and refer to him as a cheater.

Crazy to hear (cause of Rudy Gay I guess?) because even if you want to say that. Rudy didn’t win anything significant lol

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Fans of other boards actually REALLY don’t like JC and refer to him as a cheater.
That was the point I was trying to make. He was a hard a…..s. But he was ours and we loved him. But he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Reaction Score

Crazy to hear (cause of Rudy Gay I guess?) because even if you want to say that. Rudy didn’t win anything significant lol
Nochimson/Miles, phone calls/texts, APR stuff, plus yeah anybody that got 5*s was probably cheating before NIL (somewhat) legalized it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nochimson/Miles, phone calls/texts, APR stuff, plus yeah anybody that got 5*s was probably cheating before NIL (somewhat) legalized it.
Yeah Miles too, another guy that never saw the floor for us.

I’m not sure what other guys were blantant unless we’re going to say every big recruit we got was like that.

5* we got during the rankings service era:

Charlie Villanueva- from NY
Rudy Gay- from MD
Stanley Robinson- from AL
Kemba Walker- from NY
Alex Oriaki- from NH
Deandre Daniel’s- from CA
Andre Drummond- from CT

Most guys were pulls from the area to go along with just getting crazy hits on the Ben’s, Emeka’s, and Thabeets of the world.

Idk how much we cheated to get Stanley who literally worked in a Steel Mill before his senior season to take care of his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom