Transfer Portal Porta Potty | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Porta Potty

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FWIW, the low level transfers work out when they’re role players on the team and not the stars.

Think the RJ Cole and Tristan Newton situations prove exactly that. Even with Timberlake, he would probably be the 4th to 5th best player on the team depending on who comes back.

Newton was the 5th to 6th best player on the team and it resulted in a championship. RJ was the 2nd and 1st best player and it resulted in 2 first round exits.

Boum and Scheierman had tremendous seasons coming from mid and low majors respectively, although 1) both cooled off a little as the season wore on and teams adjusted, and 2) both dominated at their previous schools.

Reaction Score
So you think he will carry Florida to a great season or not?
Before, I answer your question, here's what Florida's lineup looks like so far:

PG: Walter Clayton Jr. 6’2 195 JR from Iona (16.8p, 4.3r, 3.2a, 1.8s, 43.1 3p%, 95.4 FT%)

SG: Will Richard 6’4 206 JR, returnee (10.4p, 39.8 3p%)

SF: Riley Kugel 6’5 207 SO, returnee (9.9p, 37.6 3p%)

PF: Alex Fudge 6’9 200 JR, returnee (5.8p, 4.5r, more known for his defense)

C: Some combo of...

EJ Jarvis 6’8 220 GR from Yale, 11.3p, 5.5r, 1.5b, 55 fg%, 40,6 3p%, 22.2 mpg

Micah Handlogten 7’1 227 SO from Marshall, 7.6p, 9.8r, 1.2a, 1.3s, 2.3b, 66.2 fg% in 25.3 mpg

I think Clayton will have a greater impact at PG than Saint Bonaventure grad transfer Kyle Lofton. Why? Lofton isn't a shooter and SEC defenses locked down his style of game. Clayton is only going to be a junior, has no holes in his game and I'd bet money he'd lead Florida in ppg.

Last year's Florida team stunk at shooting threes (31.4 3p%, 313rd in the nation) and Todd Golden loves perimeter offense based on his time at San Francisco (team ranked within the top-50 in 3PA/FGA in each of his three seasons).

Looking at that lineup above, Florida can have three or four 37%+ three-point shooters on the floor at the same time. That will allow Florida to make a huge jump in their offensive efficiency (139th last season) to match the excellent perimeter defenses Golden teams are known for.

Will it be a great season? No, to me a great season is a Elite 8 finish.

Will they be better than last year, I'd bet on it.

Now, what if Florida doesn't have a great season? I haven't been reading your posts mostly so I can't really figure out your argument you're trying to make, or trying to ironically irk the board with? I don't know man, I don't have the time or interest to figure out your schtick.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s fascinating to watch narcissists embarrass themselves significantly more than they would by just admitting they had a bad take

It is fascinating to watch people who have no idea what they are talking about jump into a thread just to take shots at other posters.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Before, I answer your question, here's what Florida's lineup looks like so far:

PG: Walter Clayton Jr. 6’2 195 JR from Iona (16.8p, 4.3r, 3.2a, 1.8s, 43.1 3p%, 95.4 FT%)

SG: Will Richard 6’4 206 JR, returnee (10.4p, 39.8 3p%)

SF: Riley Kugel 6’5 207 SO, returnee (9.9p, 37.6 3p%)

PF: Alex Fudge 6’9 200 JR, returnee (5.8p, 4.5r, more known for his defense)

C: Some combo of...

EJ Jarvis 6’8 220 GR from Yale, 11.3p, 5.5r, 1.5b, 55 fg%, 40,6 3p%, 22.2 mpg

Micah Handlogten 7’1 227 SO from Marshall, 7.6p, 9.8r, 1.2a, 1.3s, 2.3b, 66.2 fg% in 25.3 mpg

I think Clayton will have a greater impact at PG than Saint Bonaventure grad transfer Kyle Lofton. Why? Lofton isn't a shooter and SEC defenses locked down his style of game. Clayton is only going to be a junior, has no holes in his game and I'd bet money he'd lead Florida in ppg.

Last year's Florida team stunk at shooting threes (31.4 3p%, 313rd in the nation) and Todd Golden loves perimeter offense based on his time at San Francisco (team ranked within the top-50 in 3PA/FGA in each of his three seasons).

Looking at that lineup above, Florida can have three or four 37%+ three-point shooters on the floor at the same time. That will allow Florida to make a huge jump in their offensive efficiency (139th last season) to match the excellent perimeter defenses Golden teams are known for.

Will it be a great season? No, to me a great season is a Elite 8 finish.

Will they be better than last year, I'd bet on it.

Now, what if Florida doesn't have a great season? I haven't been reading your posts mostly so I can't really figure out your argument you're trying to make, or trying to ironically irk the board with? I don't know man, I don't have the time or interest to figure out your schtick.

Florida completely underachieved last season. If this Clayton guy is half as good as you all say he is, Florida should contend for a league title.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Boum and Scheierman had tremendous seasons coming from mid and low majors respectively, although 1) both cooled off a little as the season wore on and teams adjusted, and 2) both dominated at their previous schools.
Idk about other schools like that to know their whole team dynamic. Xavier and Creighton also don’t recruit like we do so they HAVE to rely on transfers to bring in high level talent.

I’d like to keep pointing out that we just ran through the tournament the first year that all the best players were Hurley recruits. Like easily.

Reaction Score
Here is the dilemma. It's been a long time since Georgetown mattered in the DMV. Maryland matters more. Virginia matters more. Virgina Tech has ton of fans in DC. All the other schools, GW, Mason, Madison have loyal followings that don't care a wit about G'town, . They are going to have to fight for their share of voice in a town were they will never be more important than the skins nee commies, nats, caps and wiz. They even have to fight the the DC United for air. Only a few folks remember 1984 (that was nearly 40 years ago). Worse, they associate it with Ewing.

Cooley has a tough row to hoe. And, as a six million dollar man, if he doesn't produce right away, the knives will be out. It's not impossible to turn the Hoyas around. But if you think he can do it with motivation, good luck.
All fair points. I became a Cooley convert when he convinced Derek Needham to come to Fairfield. I watched as he mentored Derek and many others which resulted in the opportunity to move to his hometown school, Providence. Despite objections from others on this board, Cooley materially improved the product and attitude at PC. In today’s era with the transfer portal, year one tends to be difficult for new coaches since there tend to be material changes to the roster. That’s just the reality of the transfer portal era. Give Cooley a chance. With all due respect to Maryland, Virginia and others, he’ll make significant improvements at Georgetown and they will become a dominant player in the DMV again.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
The great thing is that this debate will be resolved on the court. I think he is a great floor raiser and PC has a ceiling. He has landed a couple of big portal pickups and most of their targets have yet to announce.
I think we will see that Cooley has a ceiling too....he was doing a kick ass job recruiting HS players and adept in portal as well at PC..he certainly raised the bar there but his 12 year record was unremarkable in terms of post season success..With all the "advantages" the GTown allegedly offers byond what PC does, he better have more than a couple of tourney wins in 12 years...pretty amazing that he got a significant raise and a "lifetime contract just last September..

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
I think "good" and "fair" are probably apt descriptors. He's just not great. Hurley is great. Pitino is great. Mcdermott is great. Cooley is a middling high-major coach who has outed himself as a pretty bad person in the last month.
Could not agree more!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Florida completely underachieved last season. If this Clayton guy is half as good as you all say he is, Florida should contend for a league title.
Mind numbing
Clayton is a good player, no doubt, but not one player, even a AA or McDs 5* isnt going to push Florida to contending for top honors in the SEC.

Reaction Score

I know this is your thing, the idea that a highly-ranked 18 year old is going to dominate a 22 year old that wasn't as highly-regarded coming out of high school.

But it's worth considering that the Arkansas team that UConn absolutely pumped in the regionals had 20% of ESPN's Top 15 from '22 in their backcourt. Take a look at this years All-America teams. Other than Brandon Miller not a hell of a lot of freshmen.

Last edited by a moderator:

caw

Reaction Score
I know this is your thing, the idea that a highly-ranked 18 year old is going to dominate a 22 year old that wasn't as highly-regarded coming out of high school.

But it's worth considering that the Arkansas team that UConn absolutely pumped in the regionals had 20% of ESPN's Top 15 from '22 in their backcourt. Take a look at this years All-America teams. Other than Brandon Miller not a hell of a lot of freshmen.

A good mix is key to success these days (we will see how things change after COVID years are over, NIL stabilizes and depending on NBA deal).

The question is, does UConn have enough upperclassmen coming back. I lean toward no with only the four knowns of Alleyne, Karaban, Clingan and Samson. One of the three that will decide soon comes back, or two, or three and well, that is very much not a concern and it does become a question of whether it is better to bring in any transfers, or just roll with the new guys.

ATM the nine known players for next year does skew very young.

5 freshmen
2 sophomores
1 junior (who hasn't played much in two years)
1 fifth year

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I think Castle is a Brandon Miller kind of player. Outside of that, depending on who returns we’ll have a good mix of experienced talent too where we aren’t freshman reliant like Arkansas was. Hopefully something similar to this year with at least three experienced guys mixed with some very, very talented impact freshmen.

Karaban and DC made a lot of 22 year olds food last year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think "good" and "fair" are probably apt descriptors. He's just not great. Hurley is great. Pitino is great. Mcdermott is great. Cooley is a middling high-major coach who has outed himself as a pretty bad person in the last month.
None of these coaches are great. JC is great, Wooden is great, Dean Smith is great, Adolph Rupp is great, Cliff Ellis is great, Geno is great, Tara VanDerverr is great, Pat Summit is great, Tarkanien is great, K is arguably considered the greatest in a many eyes. Great is rare. Pitino could be a great but he screwed up too many times. DH, McDermott and Cooley are all good at this point. Great is rarified air.

Reaction Score
None of these coaches are great. JC is great, Wooden is great, Dean Smith is great, Adolph Rupp is great, Cliff Ellis is great, Geno is great, Tara VanDerverr is great, Pat Summit is great, Tarkanien is great, K is arguably considered the greatest in a many eyes. Great is rare. Pitino could be a great but he screwed up too many times. DH, McDermott and Cooley are all good at this point. Great is rarified air.
I think the guys you named are legendary. It’s all semantics though. Hurley is on his path to being a great coach

Reaction Score

Like Ant said, it's semantics. Great vs. Legendary, whatever.

Pitino being a slimeball doesn't negate the fact that he will always be a GREAT coach though. There's just no way around that if you're being objective about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom