Transfer Portal Porta Potty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Porta Potty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They just got Withers from Louisville who will eat up a lot of their minutes at PF
I don’t see Mgbako as a sure fire 4. I think He can play the 3. I won’t pretend like I’ve paid much attention to him before now. But just watching him I see a wing

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Would be a gut punch to Stewart and Ross, but you don’t pass up talent like that if he wants to come. He’ll end up at some big money school anyways.

Reaction Score
Some of these people make like $20k-$30k as coach and it's a side job. I'm sure they're not even around campus for parts of the year. I know people like that in D1 sports. I know a volleyball coach who was making $15k a year in D1 as of a few year ago. Soccer coaches in D1 as well.
Assuming those are head coached, this is hard to believe. The head cross country coach at Eastern Connecticut makes $85k a year and was hired last year as a D3 coach. I know it's state vs. private but still.

Reaction Score
Would be a gut punch to Stewart and Ross, but you don’t pass up talent like that if he wants to come. He’ll end up at some big money school anyways.
I guess. They wouldn’t be starting this year anyway. I’m sure they’re aware of that. Mgbako is probably a one and done

Reaction Score
Some of these people make like $20k-$30k as coach and it's a side job. I'm sure they're not even around campus for parts of the year. I know people like that in D1 sports. I know a volleyball coach who was making $15k a year in D1 as of a few year ago. Soccer coaches in D1 as well.
Probably at low major schools but I seriously doubt any coaches at Georgetown are part-time and make that little. And definitely not the soccer coach, that is for certain.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don’t see Mgbako as a sure fire 4. I think He can play the 3. I won’t pretend like I’ve paid much attention to him before now. But just watching him I see a wing
It’s a waste of time discussing him anyway. He was down to Duke, UK, and Memphis the first time around and now is linked to Louisville and UNC. He wants one thing and that’s a bag (ok and maybe a starting role). UConn isn’t getting him the biggest one that’s for sure

Reaction Score
Nobody on this board wants to hear it, but Coach Cooley is a great motivator, a great coach and a great guy. People want to be around him. It’s difficult to win at Fairfield and Providence, but he should have more success at Georgetown where he can recruit the DMV. The only thing that bothers me are the allegations of infidelity because that never ends well.

Here is the dilemma. It's been a long time since Georgetown mattered in the DMV. Maryland matters more. Virginia matters more. Virgina Tech has ton of fans in DC. All the other schools, GW, Mason, Madison have loyal followings that don't care a wit about G'town, . They are going to have to fight for their share of voice in a town were they will never be more important than the skins nee commies, nats, caps and wiz. They even have to fight the the DC United for air. Only a few folks remember 1984 (that was nearly 40 years ago). Worse, they associate it with Ewing.

Cooley has a tough row to hoe. And, as a six million dollar man, if he doesn't produce right away, the knives will be out. It's not impossible to turn the Hoyas around. But if you think he can do it with motivation, good luck.

Reaction Score
It’s a waste of time discussing him anyway. He was down to Duke, UK, and Memphis the first time around and now is linked to Louisville and UNC. He wants one thing and that’s a bag (ok and maybe a starting role). UConn isn’t getting him the biggest one that’s for sure
This is true.

Reaction Score
Feeling for Duke…how will they survive w/ only 4 5-star commits. Playing the chess of predicting one-and-done players sometimes backfires when a player or 2 need to stick around for another year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I guess. They wouldn’t be starting this year anyway. I’m sure they’re aware of that. Mgbako is probably a one and done
From our POV, sure. But if Andre does leave, I’m sure they’ll be disappointed if we bring in a freshman this late to start over them. But you still do it every time.

Reaction Score
From our POV, sure. But if Andre does leave, I’m sure they’ll be disappointed if we bring in a freshman this late to start over them. But you still do it every time.
Every time

Reaction Score
Who knows.. Maybe Rick can get MM up to NYC to discuss their NIL opportunities..

Reaction Score
Who knows.. Maybe Rick can get MM up to NYC to discuss their NIL opportunities..
Pitino will have all the NIL money he needs, and more. Rapole is a billionaire several times over And heavily invested in St. John’s.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's probably just being spoiled by Hurley, but I'm thinking good coaches can manage the portal. Look at the guys who left, for the most part it's been no hard feelings. Adams and Josh thrived in their new homes. Except for Floyd perhaps, no leaving seemed to be a big surprise. And to be honest, everyone was pretty much superfluous to needs. We probably could have used some Josh but he has a FF so it worked for him. Geno seems to be managing the portal fine as well. It's the bums like Bruce Pearl saying, "Why should I train a guy up for a couple years just so it can payoff for another team?" That's screams poor management to me.

Reaction Score
Really so we tell kids to come here, if you don't keep your word. That's going to get around. Don't ya think one kid not worth screwing our new found chances to land some of the highest talent in the land. I'm really looking forward to seeing Ross & Stewart personally.

Reaction Score
Pitino will have all the NIL money he needs, and more. Rapole is a billionaire several times over And heavily invested in St. John’s.
They have objectively bad facilities compared to the competition. One would think if this dude is ready to spend like some folks are saying, he'd have helped out there a bit more.

Edit: I also think this will be an issue for Pitino. NIL and Pitino's name recognition are nice, but it's still got to be hard to compete with a place like UF that has the NIL and has a WAY nicer campus and basketball facilities. St. John's will always come across as second rate until they fix that.

Reaction Score
They have objectively bad facilities compared to the competition. One would think if this dude is ready to spend like some folks are saying, he'd have helped out there a bit more.

Edit: I also think this will be an issue for Pitino. NIL and Pitino's name recognition are nice, but it's still got to be hard to compete with a place like UF that has the NIL and has a WAY nicer campus and basketball facilities. St. John's will always come across as second rate until they fix that.
I think the comment was about a prospective MM move since his announcement about de-committing from Duke.

Reaction Score
Feeling for Duke…how will they survive w/ only 4 5-star commits. Playing the chess of predicting one-and-done players sometimes backfires when a player or 2 need to stick around for another year.
Duke fans can sleep well at night knowing they’ve got a coach with a proven track record of getting their team to the Round of 32. Mr and Mrs Preston Bartlett IV can feel great about the return on that seven figure donation.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I mean this will due respect up' because I do respect your opinion particularly as it relates to an insiders POV of college administration: So What?

People are people, whether they are part time, full time, making minimum wage or salary. Winning and losing a room is just that. Cooley clearly didn't win this one at the moment the pic was snapped.

Its a snapshot in time and obviously not the complete story on Cooley's "likeability" which is the tangential subject at hand.

He went too far in his post game at UConn and looks even more foolish for it now, the why behind that is well covered.
He completely botched his exit at Providence.
I'm not sure he hasn't jumped the shark.

Reaction Score
I like to laugh at St. John’s and Pitino as much as anyone, but is not getting some random MAAC player that big a deal?
Not getting a sought after transfer that is transferring from the program you just coached, and who many folks thought was a lock for you, isn’t a great look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief

Top Bottom