Transfer portal - outbound | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do they care that much?
If they don't, they should. If someone doesn't want to be in the fight with me as I am willing to be, I don't want them there. You're in or you're out. You can't fake it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If they don't, they should. If someone doesn't want to be in the fight with me as I am willing to be, I don't want them there. You're in or you're out. You can't fake it.
You were never 19 or 20 trying to figure out what to do with your life? Personally, I don’t care and I wonder if many players, many of whom might themselves thought about leaving, are all that pissed. If its a business from the university’s viewpoint, the players can look at it the same way. I just think that there are lots better things to hold against someone than transfering to play a sport.

Reaction Score
You were never 19 or 20 trying to figure out what to do with your life? Personally, I don’t care and I wonder if many players, many of whom might themselves thought about leaving, are all that pissed. If its a business from the university’s viewpoint, the players can look at it the same way. I just think that there are lots better things to hold against someone than transfering to play a sport.
You're either in, or you're out. Were you ever even an athlete in your life? You obviously do care or you wouldn't have responded.

Reaction Score
I think the portal this year is going to be the trail of many tears. I really don't think the kids know what they are doing or getting good advice. For example, why would kids enter the portal before classes started for the Spring term as they could have remained on scholarship for the Spring term if they had waited a short period? To get a head start on the the transfer process? Sure, maybe for the top kids, but not for the vast majority. And, how many schools are going to hold a scholarship to take a risk on an OK prospect that still needs to graduate in May to be eligible to be a grad transfer next season? Not very many.

Also, look at how many kids are now committed to schools between HS seniors, JUCOs, and transfers. Most P5 schools are now full or close to full if you take the 25 scholarship limit as the limiting factor even though many schools will not be taking 25 kids this year because they may not have that many ships to give. And, 23 of the top 500 HS recruits haven't committed yet.

Has anyone noticed that out of the 20+ UConn kids in the portal, that only 3 have been picked up by other schools and all 3 moved down to FCS? My guess is a couple may get picked up by FBS schools, but the rest better move quick to find their next spot.

This is year 2 of the transfer portal and, unfortunately, many kids are going to be disappointed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the portal this year is going to be the trail of many tears. I really don't think the kids know what they are doing or getting good advice. For example, why would kids enter the portal before classes started for the Spring term as they could have remained on scholarship for the Spring term if they had waited a short period? To get a head start on the the transfer process? Sure, maybe for the top kids, but not for the vast majority. And, how many schools are going to hold a scholarship to take a risk on an OK prospect that still needs to graduate in May to be eligible to be a grad transfer next season? Not very many.

Also, look at how many kids are now committed to schools between HS seniors, JUCOs, and transfers. Most P5 schools are now full or close to full if you take the 25 scholarship limit as the limiting factor even though many schools will not be taking 25 kids this year because they may not have that many ships to give. And, 23 of the top 500 HS recruits haven't committed yet.

Has anyone noticed that out of the 20+ UConn kids in the portal, that only 3 have been picked up by other schools and all 3 moved down to FCS? My guess is a couple may get picked up by FBS schools, but the rest better move quick to find their next spot.

This is year 2 of the transfer portal and, unfortunately, many kids are going to be disappointed.

1000%....Plus I think schools might be expecting some 25 man cap relief later this year. Just seems like it has to happen.

Reaction Score

The scary part is that most of the kids probably understand these risks and still chose to be in the portal. They rather have no scholarship with an uncertain future than to play for Randy. Very worrisome.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The scary part is that most of the kids probably understand these risks and still chose to be in the portal. They rather have no scholarship with an uncertain future than to play for Randy. Very worrisome.

Really? i) I think most dont see the risk, ii) not all the kids are running from Randy, some might still be here had they fulfilled their obligation as "students" and/or good citizens, iii) some probably cannot get into a UConn grad school based purely on a quick review of their undergrad work and iv) some arent welcome back because they haven't been honest about their commitment to the program (ie effort).

Sure probably 1/2 portal kids are running from Randy and the other 1/2 fall into one of the scenarios above.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
This is not worrisome at all. Happens at every University, more with coaching changes.

The University was somehow able to find 25 more committed student athletes.

The UConn football program is alive and thriving.

The interesting part is the leavers havent landed. That is worrisome.

Reaction Score
This is not worrisome at all. Happens at every University, more with coaching changes.

The University was somehow able to find 25 more committed student athletes.

The UConn football program is alive and thriving.

The interesting part is the leavers havent landed. That is worrisome.
It's hard to talk about student athletes, but only a few who are leaving would have contributed next year. And 4th year juniors who aren't playing key roles on an FBS team are usually not asked back for a 5th year and that happened at UConn this year.

It is worrisome that the kids who are in the portal haven't found a home yet and it speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
1000%....Plus I think schools might be expecting some 25 man cap relief later this year. Just seems like it has to happen.

do you think schools should be allowed to offer unlimited scholarships? Let’s remember how it was back before 2011.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
do you think schools should be allowed to offer unlimited scholarships?
Nope. In my view, which will never happen, I would tinker with it as follows:

i) 25 per annum for HS and JUCOs with an additional 5 slots for kids that have completed their undergrad degree. There will be a third signing date in June for grads (but grads could sign at either of the prior two dates).
ii) Programs with 6 or fewer wins get an additional 5 slots the following season.
iii) Unused slots can carry forward for up to four years.
iv) Grads would not be granted automatic release if they decide to walk like they can do currently.
v) Kids get automatic release if they sign and their head coach leaves prior to the first game under said coach.
vi) Undergrad kids get one time transfer without sitting....but they cannot transfer within their conference or to an opponent on the teams schedule for the current year or the following year to get this benefit.
vii) I would codify the transfer home for medical / other non-sense to something with clear parameters
viii) I would ponder the idea of granting everyone an automatic medical redshirt that can be used to preserve eligibility lost to transfer or for a medical reason.....so basically everyone gets 6 years to play 4.

Yep, those are my ideas.

Actually, I didn't tinker, but rather just proposed a thorough overhaul.

Reaction Score
UConn is not sending kids to the pros after 3 years so the roster can be managed. You are able to offer 25 scholarships per year and over a 5 year time period that is 125 scholarships. And, any walk-on that has been on campus for 2 years can get a scholarship and not count against the 25, but it counts against the 85. In other words, there are plenty of ways to manage the roster to get to 85.

Unfortunately, Diaco didn't understand how to manage the roster as his recruiting classes were 2014: 15, 2015: 23, and 2016: 16. That is a total disaster and UConn is still dealing with it today.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn is not sending kids to the pros after 3 years so the roster can be managed. You are able to offer 25 scholarships per year and over a 5 year time period that is 125 scholarships. And, any walk-on that has been on campus for 2 years can get a scholarship and not count against the 25, but it counts against the 85. In other words, there are plenty of ways to manage the roster to get to 85.

Unfortunately, Diaco didn't understand how to manage the roster as his recruiting classes were 2014: 15, 2015: 23, and 2016: 16. That is a total disaster and UConn is still dealing with it today.
You and I continue to disagree on this...you wont change my mind that the current rules dont benefit the student athlete.

Reaction Score

i) 25 per annum for HS and JUCOs with an additional 5 slots for kids that have completed their undergrad degree. There will be a third signing date in June for grads (but grads could sign at either of the prior two dates).
ii) Programs with 6 or fewer wins get an additional 5 slots the following season.
iv) Grads would not be granted automatic release if they decide to walk like they can do currently.
v) Kids get automatic release if they sign and their head coach leaves prior to the first game under said coach.
vi) Undergrad kids get one time transfer without sitting....but they cannot transfer within their conference or to an opponent on the teams schedule for the current year or the following year to get this benefit.
vii) I would codify the transfer home for medical / other non-sense to something with clear parameters
viii) I would ponder the idea of granting everyone an automatic medical redshirt that can be used to preserve eligibility lost to transfer or for a medical reason.....so basically everyone gets 6 years to play 4.

Yep, those are my ideas.

I really like all these ideas.

Reaction Score
You and I continue to disagree on this...you wont change my mind that the current rules dont benefit the student athlete.
I'm with you. Shouldn't it be about the student athlete? Isn't that what college is all about, athlete or not?!

Reaction Score

Yep, those are my ideas.

check #ii. Never give a team an incentive to lose games. All we need is to get to the end of the season and have 15-20 schools trying to lose their last 1-2 games to get those extra five scholarships. Vegas would have a field day calculating which teams are trying to lose.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Shouldn't it be about the student athlete? Isn't that what college is all about, athlete or not?!

Well, if we allow student athletes to transfer without any parameters what so ever then programs will find themselves without any athletes at all, at least that is always the fear.
check #ii. Never give a team an incentive to lose games. All we need is to get to the end of the season and have 15-20 schools trying to lose their last 1-2 games to get those extra five scholarships. Vegas would have a field day calculating which teams are trying to lose.
oh well... need a real cure to the competitive imbalance problem.

you are still capped at 85

Maybe the number is 2 or 3 rather than 5

Reaction Score
Maybe the number is 2 or 3 rather than 5

Still the same issue. Just imagine two 6-5 teams playing on the last weekend of the season. Probably end with a 0-0 overtime tie, with the head coaches threatening to dismiss any player who crosses the goal line or kicks a field goal. Definitely take the ”under” when betting on that game. As I said, it’s a bad idea to incentivize losses.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Still the same issue. Just imagine two 6-5 teams playing on the last weekend of the season. Probably end with a 0-0 overtime tie, with the head coaches threatening to dismiss any player who crosses the goal line or kicks a field goal. Definitely take the ”under” when betting on that game. As I said, it’s a bad idea to incentivize losses.
I disagree, because a seventh win means you go bowling. Kids and coaches will always want to go bowling. Plus, all we are talking about is more cap flexibility, not all programs will value it the same. If a roster is properly managed it’s of very little value, less than the win. This is a tool to help under performing schools catch up. You could also have a rule where two schools opposing each other in this scenario just automatically get 2 each regardless of the score.

Reaction Score
I think the P5 schools are crying because they want to recruit more players each year. One of the reasons the annual limit was placed at 25 was to make schools think twice before pushing players out which is what they used to do. This is year 2 of the portal and I think kids are going to understand the math of transferring works against many of them after this year. One trend that I am seeing in the portal is kids entering the portal and returning to their school. In some cases, it makes sense for both the player and the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom