Transfer portal - outbound | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Though most departing UConn players were graduate transfers (i.e., those who had finished undergraduate but retained a year of eligibility) five could have two or more years of college football ahead of them.

Four of those five players started at least one game at UConn, though only Carroll played regularly at any point (starting eight games as a freshman in 2018 before sitting last season for academic reasons). "

Have any of you panic stricken nellies had the thought that maybe breaking up the worst team in CFB over the last 2 years isn't necessarily a bad thing? We had 1 FBS win (over UMass) with these guys. Really think the upside of them staying is greater than the upside of them leaving?

Clingy bunch of sots aren't you.
Have you thought that breaking up the worst CFB coaching team over the last 2 years (would say 3 but I'll stick to your point that HCRE2.0 inherited a better team in year 1 than he personally set up in years 2 and 3) wouldn't really be a bad thing?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Have you thought that breaking up the worst CFB coaching team over the last 2 years (would say 3 but I'll stick to your point that HCRE2.0 inherited a better team in year 1 than he personally set up in years 2 and 3) wouldn't really be a bad thing?

Coaches have a track record beyond the last two years, have potentially more than one year of eligibility, don't need to overcome physical deficits to our opponents and are far more difficult, expensive, to replace.

Someone thinking that, even to be snarky, would look like a idiot.

Reaction Score
Yoooo Tarik Black looking to get a homesick voucher????
We used 25 schollies already, so we're out of luck. Why are we even concerned with having kids transfer in at this point in time when we already used up our scholarly limit?

Reaction Score
We used 25 schollies already, so we're out of luck. Why are we even concerned with having kids transfer in at this point in time when we already used up our scholarly limit?

?? He would be a 2020 Grad Transfer w/ two years eligibility - I don’t see him coming but if he wanted to someone would be recruited over before you could type portal.

Reaction Score
The Portal is here to stay. Think about this. Three of the four finalists for the Heisman had to transfer to get playing time. When was the last time that happened?
I agree.

The QB position has always had a high number of transfers because only 1 plays. And, the top schools bring in top QBs each recruiting class creating a logjam.

Reaction Score
"Though most departing UConn players were graduate transfers (i.e., those who had finished undergraduate but retained a year of eligibility) five could have two or more years of college football ahead of them.

Four of those five players started at least one game at UConn, though only Carroll played regularly at any point (starting eight games as a freshman in 2018 before sitting last season for academic reasons). "

Have any of you panic stricken nellies had the thought that maybe breaking up the worst team in CFB over the last 2 years isn't necessarily a bad thing? We had 1 FBS win (over UMass) with these guys. Really think the upside of them staying is greater than the upside of them leaving?

Clingy bunch of sots aren't you.
So you’re guaranteeing the new guys will be better? Next year? Or do we need to wait a few more? We’re losing some of our better talent.

Reaction Score
The Portal is here to stay. Think about this. Three of the four finalists for the Heisman had to transfer to get playing time. When was the last time that happened?

Too bad even the next tier QBs like Wimbush and Martell wouldn't come or didn't get offered to UConn. Instead UConn got a walkon and Div II QB transfer. The portal is not good for UConn if that's the best that Randy can do.

Reaction Score
Objectively can you think of a reason where a QB at Notre Dame given the choice of transferring to UCF or UConn would actually pick UConn after last season? Particularly when he opened the year as the starter at UCF, negating any playing time argument?

Similarly Martell, a QB at Ohio State, given the choice of Miami where the competition for the job (and he'd lose out on the competition) was a freshman or UConn... unless someone has a suitcase full of cash, neither QB was more than a fans pipe-dream to come to a team that had nothing but negative press in 2018.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
“NFL pedigree”? Dude was a DB coach 2 decades ago and then a research analyst for the Detroit Lions.

That's not a selling point why?

How many has he put into the NFL through the years? 22 during the Edsall years have been drafted and a number more have been in camps and practice squads. I haven't even talked about the CFL which had a number of UConn players who played there.

He knows talent, period. He needs to bend on other things, but again he knows talent

Reaction Score
Coaches have a track record beyond the last two years, have potentially more than one year of eligibility, don't need to overcome physical deficits to our opponents and are far more difficult, expensive, to replace.

Someone thinking that, even to be snarky, would look like a idiot.
Track record beyond last 2 years is losing. Got fired after 4 plus years in dream job where he never had a winning conference record. Can get rid of coach with no buy out. What good is HCRE2.0 having more coaching eligibility if he has no eye discipline?

Reaction Score
Randy has an NFL pedigree and plenty of available playing time to sell grad transfers.
Has this changed in the last 3 year? If not, why will it be more effective this year or are you saying keep up the good work?

Reaction Score
Has this changed in the last 3 year? If not, why will it be more effective this year or are you saying keep up the good work?

There was a HUGE transformational change this year.

Watch SMU & Illinois football leap forward with 9 solid transfers that made an impact ... that led to a significant increase in wins. You’d have to be deaf, blind & dumb ... to not see that YOUR sport is changing.

Reaction Score

Watch SMU & Illinois football leap forward with 9 solid transfers that made an impact ... that led to a significant increase in wins. You’d have to be deaf, blind & dumb ... to not see that YOUR sport is changing.

Good thing Edsall is open to change

Reaction Score

You described HCRE2.0 exactly. Lucky for UConn he has his great NFL pedigree to attract portal transfers and he probably noticed that his participation roster is taking a hit with transfers out. Pretty bad when HCRE2.0 needs to learn from Lovie Smith on how to "leap forward".
By the way, speaking of "deaf, blind & dumb... to not see YOUR sport changing", how do you rate HCRE2.0's offensive scheme as it relates to effective 2019 FBS football?

Reaction Score
Too bad even the next tier QBs like Wimbush and Martell wouldn't come or didn't get offered to UConn. Instead UConn got a walkon and Div II QB transfer. The portal is not good for UConn if that's the best that Randy can do.
I have to agree. We SHOULD be taking this route for a QB but for some reason we don't. TERRIBLE idea. Why not get a P5 QB transfer that clearly has more ability than what we have.

Reaction Score
There were ~100 QBs in the transfer portal last year. Just looking at the P5 QBs with three and fours stars that transferred to lower level; they went to Hampton, Southeastern Louisiana, Western Kentucky, Jackson St, Bethune Cookman, Northern Illinois, East Tenn St, Georgia St, Bowling Green, South Dakota, Ark St, Portland St, N. AZ St, Lamar, etc. Randy is not winning with the portal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Stanley Hubbard (previously announced he would be transfering due to family issues):

Certainly doesn't sound bitter or frustrated. Hubbard comes to us from St John College High School in DC, a major football factory, same school as Cam Ross. Its important that Hubbard's transfer is on good terms for both sides.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So you’re guaranteeing the new guys will be better? Next year? Or do we need to wait a few more? We’re losing some of our better talent.

Saying those guys were maxed out. Certainly being younger is not ideal in RE.Y4 but I'm hoping the force multplier of the team all being in Camp Randy from the start is a net postive. Really no other way to look at it. We don't have a choice.

I think the OL was decent enough and maybe we lose some size/strength along with the experience there.

I can't fault guys for not wanting to get their heads handed to them for 4 straight years. We wouldn't be that mic3h better either way. A winning season will be a surprise ti everyone.

People want to make this a referendum on RE2.0 which for me is naive and counter productive. If we are out of bowl record contention in Nov, then fire up the coaching search. It's harmful to do it now.

It we are sitting on 5 wins at the last game, then we know we have something worth continuing.

Reaction Score
Saying those guys were maxed out. Certainly being younger is not ideal in RE.Y4 but I'm hoping the force multplier of the team all being in Camp Randy from the start is a net postive. Really no other way to look at it. We don't have a choice.

I think the OL was decent enough and maybe we lose some size/strength along with the experience there.

I can't fault guys for not wanting to get their heads handed to them for 4 straight years. We wouldn't be that mic3h better either way. A winning season will be a surprise ti everyone.

People want to make this a referendum on RE2.0 which for me is naive and counter productive. If we are out of bowl record contention in Nov, then fire up the coaching search. It's harmful to do it now.

It we are sitting on 5 wins at the last game, then we know we have something worth continuing.
So a winning season would be a surprise to everyone in year 4 of HCRE2.0 when 7 of the 2020 opponents are ranked 106 or worst in 2019 (out of 500 NCAA football teams including Division III). Not one of 2020 opponents is ranked in the top 30 in 2019; can the schedule get any easier without dropping to FCS?

Rule # 1 in hiring a college head football coach to win games: Do not hire a coach with a losing career head coaching record. Rule # 2: reread rule # 1.

Reaction Score
So a winning season would be a surprise to everyone in year 4 of HCRE2.0 when 7 of the 2020 opponents are ranked 106 or worst in 2019 (out of 500 NCAA football teams including Division III). Not one of 2020 opponents is ranked in the top 30 in 2019; can the schedule get any easier without dropping to FCS?

Rule # 1 in hiring a college head football coach to win games: Do not hire a coach with a losing career head coaching record. Rule # 2: reread rule # 1.
In the coaches poll, Virginia is #25 and Indiana is #29 this year. And, UConn is playing 5 P5 schools in 2020 which is more than they have played in years which excites me.

I think the 2020 schedule is somewhat easier, but there is substantial volatility in the year to year rankings of mid tier P5, G5, and FCS teams. For example, Army was ranked (Sagarin) 44 in 2018, but 101 in 2019. Middle Tennessee was ranked 122 in 2019, but 91 in 2018.

Another way to look at the schedule using Sagarin rankings:

Top 60 opponents: 2019 schedule: 4. 2020 schedule: 4
Rankings 135 and over: 2019 schedule: 3. 2020 schedule: 3
Illinois in both seasons: 2019 schedule: 1. 2020 schedule: 1

The last 4 games:

2019: Temple, Tulane, USF, and Houston
2020: Army, Middle Tennessee, Liberty, San Jose St.

For the last 4, 2019 was more difficult, but USF and Houston were down last year and so were Army and Middle Tennessee.

Here's an even crazier observation. If UConn is playing 5 or 6 P5 schools per year and a couple of the decent G5s, they have a better chance (still none) of making the CFP than they would in the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom