Transfer portal - outbound | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Robert Holmes finds a home- Austin Peay (OHIO Valley Conf- FCS)

here’s a handy conf map - tired of not knowing a darn thing about this school or this conf I had to look it up.

My story of Austin Peay is one year many years back while Coca Cola was doing a promotion where they put a school under the cap and you won a prize if that school won the MBB championship I got Austin Peay. I’ve always casually followed them since. Good luck Robert!

Reaction Score
did you miss the 3 of PP & the 3 of Disco Diaco

I’m in real estate. I can be quite descriptive when describing a blighted neighborhood
You mean the guys who never coached a UConn team to 2 win or 1 win seasons? How bad must you be to be worst at winning than PP and Red Pants?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So 3-9, 1-11, 2-10 isn't collapsing?

Technically, it's already collapsed. The 2011-2016 was the collapsing part.

I think too many people still miss that part. Comparing the momentum the program had from 2007-2010 with what Edsall actually inherited. Adding 2 wins per season wouldn't really changed the current situation much at all. You'd still have a bunch of guys who didn't like/fit the new regime.

The response was to not hire Edsall back in the first place, but that camp misses how little interest there was in the job as Diaco was leaving.

Reaction Score
You mean the guys who never coached a UConn team to 2 win or 1 win seasons? How bad must you be to be worst at winning than PP and Red Pants?
PP won with Edsall’s leftovers, Red Pants won with PP’s leftovers, Edsall loses with Red Pants leftovers. So in hierarchy Edsall<PP<Red Pants. Edsall is still working with a large core of those leftovers and grooming his own men. As much as these losses suck, he was left with a cupboard filled with garbage.

Reaction Score

shrug

We just got to get better. Yes ... we are all absolutely flatlined on the status today.

Reaction Score
Who woke ZooCougar up

sheesh. I’m reading the last few weeks & thinking ... do we really need a reminder of the 2019 season. Or the 5 before.

Today is CFB fan XMAS. Dream a little. And ... btw ... we aren’t collapsing the Program.

It would be hard to collapse any more than we already have.

Reaction Score
How many players submitted their names to the portal?

16 names are listed on 247 transfer portal. Only Stanley Hubbard is shown as having a landing spot (James Madison).

Reaction Score
16 names are listed on 247 transfer portal. Only Stanley Hubbard is shown as having a landing spot (James Madison).
Holmes to Austin Peay not showing?

Reaction Score
Assuming the final tally with players quitting and not transferring is 18-20. I guess the silver lining is there weren't a lot of seniors to be graduating but 18 players is enormous - like losing an entire recruiting class on an already inexperienced team. I don't think there's a precedent for back to back 1-2 win seasons AND losing 18 players (yes, the portal is new, I get that).

Reaction Score
Assuming the final tally with players quitting and not transferring is 18-20. I guess the silver lining is there weren't a lot of seniors to be graduating but 18 players is enormous - like losing an entire recruiting class on an already inexperienced team. I don't think there's a precedent for back to back 1-2 win seasons AND losing 18 players (yes, the portal is new, I get that).
You do realize the vast majority were not asked back? If you are not starting as a 4th year junior, at most schools, you are not asked back for a 5th year? If some roster space was not cleared, the recruiting class might have been 10 kids, which is unacceptable given the roster talent.

Reaction Score
You do realize the vast majority were not asked back? If you are not starting as a 4th year junior, at most schools, you are not asked back for a 5th year? If some roster space was not cleared, the recruiting class might have been 10 kids, which is unacceptable given the roster talent.
I did note kids graduating. But the broader point is I guess the shock of how really bad the roster is after 2 years hasn't settled in fully. This isn't normal for a football team 3 years into a regime.

Edited to add: I'll look for some precedents.

Reaction Score

Screenshot_20191223-092753.png

Reaction Score
I did note kids graduating. But the broader point is I guess the shock of how really bad the roster is after 2 years hasn't settled in fully. This isn't normal for a football team 3 years into a regime.

Edited to add: I'll look for some precedents.
With the exception of the d-backs and maybe one or two lineman, these are not kids that would be contributing much next year. I'm sure Edsall told them that and if they want to go somewhere where they will see playing time, good for them.

I don't see this as a big negative.

Reaction Score
With the exception of the d-backs and maybe one or two lineman, these are not kids that would be contributing much next year. I'm sure Edsall told them that and if they want to go somewhere where they will see playing time, good for them.

I don't see this as a big negative.
It's probably somewhere in the middle. Not the end of the world but the fact that this is happening after year 3 and not year 1 is not insignificant. At some point you can't come into the season expecting True freshman like Cam Ross and Jake Z to carry you and expect success. This is a "developmental program" according to the AD and coach. Travis Jones should just have wrapped up his RS Freshman season. Instead half his career is over and we have 3 wins to show for his time here. We seem rudderless at times. Being worse in year 3 than year 1 is a bad look. Hopefully year 4 shows we are working toward something.

Reaction Score
It's probably somewhere in the middle. Not the end of the world but the fact that this is happening after year 3 and not year 1 is not insignificant. At some point you can't come into the season expecting True freshman like Cam Ross and Jake Z to carry you and expect success. This is a "developmental program" according to the AD and coach. Travis Jones should just have wrapped up his RS Freshman season. Instead half his career is over and we have 3 wins to show for his time here. We seem rudderless at times. Being worse in year 3 than year 1 is a bad look. Hopefully year 4 shows we are working toward something.
Edsall honored the scholarships and allowed them to play 4 years. If he pushed kids out the first couple of years as underclassmen, people would have been unhappy. At most schools, kids would have been pushed out quicker, but that hasn’t been the UConn way. The issue came to a head this year with the small number of kids that were graduating that had used up their eligibility and the large number of 4th year juniors that weren’t starting. The recruiting class would have been small and Edsall needed to bring in more talent.

Reaction Score
Edsall honored the scholarships and allowed them to play 4 years. If he pushed kids out the first couple of years as underclassmen, people would have been unhappy. At most schools, kids would have been pushed out quicker, but that hasn’t been the UConn way. The issue came to a head this year with the small number of kids that were graduating that had used up their eligibility and the large number of 4th year juniors that weren’t starting. The recruiting class would have been small and Edsall needed to bring in more talent.
Respectively, if this is the case, than Edsall made a bad decision. You don't win with a team of froshs and sophs - this isn't basketball.

You transform the roster in years 1 and 2. You don't keep kids that aren't part of the program going forward for 2 years while winning 1.5 games per year. What did that accomplish? If there's a HS coach that is advising their players to go to UConn because of how the roster transformation was delayed, then great. Otherwise, I don't understand.

Reaction Score
Respectively, if this is the case, than Edsall made a bad decision. You don't win with a team of froshs and sophs - this isn't basketball.

You transform the roster in years 1 and 2. You don't keep kids that aren't part of the program going forward for 2 years while winning 1.5 games per year. What did that accomplish? If there's a HS coach that is advising their players to go to UConn because of how the roster transformation was delayed, then great. Otherwise, I don't understand.
Remember, you are only allowed to take 25 kids per year so that limits your potential for turning over a roster. This is really the third full Edsall recruiting class as year 1 he was hired in late December. I think, you can now say that this is Edsall's roster.

Unfortunately, Diaco left Edsall with limited talent. UConn could have loaded up on JUCOs and been competitive faster, but that has not been the UConn way and it does hurt the LT roster development. SMU loaded up on transfers and JUCOs and turned around the program this year, although they are now on a treadmill of recruiting show term players that will need to be replaced frequently.

Reaction Score

What makes you think it was Edsall's decision? Even if we ignore the 25 person per year limit, I don't think the University was giving the football coach the power to run off players during their 4 years who were keeping their nose clean. That type of decision is not left to coaches at Universities who believe that athletics are a means to an end, rather than the end itself. If that's what you want, you should consider rooting for Auburn or Oklahoma or Clemson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom