Transfer portal - outbound | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"In fact, head coach David Shaw encouraged his players to explore their options knowing how hard it can be to get into graduate school at Stanford."
I wonder how true this is for UConn football players who earn their bachelor’s with a year of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
What makes you think it was Edsall's decision? Even if we ignore the 25 person per year limit, I don't think the University was giving the football coach the power to run off players during their 4 years who were keeping their nose clean. That type of decision is not left to coaches at Universities who believe that athletics are a means to an end, rather than the end itself. If that's what you want, you should consider rooting for Auburn or Oklahoma or Clemson.
What makes you think it was Edsall's decision? Even if we ignore the 25 person per year limit, I don't think the University was giving the football coach the power to run off players during their 4 years who were keeping their nose clean. That type of decision is not left to coaches at Universities who believe that athletics are a means to an end, rather than the end itself. If that's what you want, you should consider rooting for Auburn or Oklahoma or Alabama

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was the coaches deci

it was Edsalls decision on most
Agreed. The Husky football team scored a 974 for the most recent year of statistics (APR). By comparison, the national average for Division I football teams was 964. Clemson football APR last year was 992.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Agreed. The Husky football team scored a 974 for the most recent year of statistics (APR). By comparison, the national average for Division I football teams was 964. Clemson football APR last year was 992.
APR is a sensitive subject for UConn fans. UConn doesn't have classes tailored to athletes to boost APR. Other schools do.

Reaction Score
APR is a sensitive subject for UConn fans. UConn doesn't have classes tailored to athletes to boost APR. Other schools do.
When the average college football fans thinks "academic integrity" they think ND, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. If UConn's setting a higher standard, the message isn't getting out.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
When the average college football fans thinks "academic integrity" they think ND, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. If UConn's setting a higher standard, the message isn't getting out.
UConn has been climbing the academic status bar for a while. However, football has never had the ability to bring in kids who are academically not up to par with the rest of the student population. They might not say it out loud, but it has resonated in recruiting for years. ND stunk until they loosened the academic standards.

Also, when the average football fan thinks academic integrity - they think IVY League, where there are no football scholarships - just academic and need based aid. I doubt with all the money and naming rights and pay for play stuff, people think of P5 schools as academic bastions.

Reaction Score
Didn't we lose Robbie Frey because of an issue like this?

He was concerned about his ability to get into grad-school:

Reaction Score

O.K., I'll bite. Are you here to inform us how many ways from Sunday the schools, its decision makers and each and every athletic program suck? If so, post away but if you'd warn us so those who want to can ignore you without having to take any more time to reach that conclusion it would be greatly appreciated.

Or, if you have an overarching point to make, by all means feel free to make it.

Reaction Score
Yes. This.

Great.

Not a single person here is pleased with the last three years. If you want to keep arguing we should fire him now, even though that decision seems to have been made, that's fine. Go for it. We haven't had that discussion for at least ten minutes.

But could I please ask you to just remember that the fact that we are not firing our head football coach with whom you are displeased does not require you to try to bad mouth every single little thing that the school, the AD, the players or the Coach do? That just makes this place unreadable and drives away folks we need to be interested.

It's a free country. You are absolutely free to ignore the advice. But recognize that if everyone wants to do what you are doing and be negative not just about the whole but about every little thing, we'll end up with fewer hardcores than we have now which will just make it that much harder to get to where we all want to go.

Reaction Score
Great.

Not a single person here is pleased with the last three years. If you want to keep arguing we should fire him now, even though that decision seems to have been made, that's fine. Go for it. We haven't had that discussion for at least ten minutes.

I believe the roster was mismanaged, and there wasn't some well thought out plan by HCRE to honor commitments or maintain a higher academic standard. Those explanations don't make sense to me.

I don't post in gameday threads because short-term struggles were expected, and I am looking for progress each year. And I saw some better things this year -- I like Zergiotis as a potential building block. But I don't see this coaching staff getting it together, and the roster seems like a year behind were it should be in a turn-around. I hope am wrong.

However, if your broader point is that re-hashing obviously bad decisions and mismanagement isn't helpful, I understand and acquiesce.

Edited to add: I won't debate whether my posts qualify for "being negative about the every little thing", but I have not, nor will I, "bad mouth" the players. You can save that admonishment for someone else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe the roster was mismanaged, and there wasn't some well thought out plan by HCRE to honor commitments or maintain a higher academic standard. Those explanations don't make sense to me.

I don't post in gameday threads because short-term struggles were expected, and I am looking for progress each year. And I saw some better things this year -- I like Zergiotis as a potential building block. But I don't see this coaching staff getting it together, and the roster seems like a year behind were it should be in a turn-around. I hope am wrong.

However, if your broader point is that re-hashing obviously bad decisions and mismanagement isn't helpful, I understand and acquiesce.

For what it's worth, that was a perfectly fine post. I think folks have been way too harsh on the potential that Zergiotis showed. Perfect -- no where near it. But the numbers for a true frosh on a lousy team who had never played a game of American football before this season were overall pretty damn good. No reason to think his completion percentage can't go up and his interceptions down with experience.

I would simply point out that last year we brought in a full class, so pushing more folks out earlier wasn't going to help the rebuild in any way.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing the point is Randy is an epic disaster
Lamerobert I think randy is bringing in much better players the he is losing. One mistake I think he made was not getting rid of most of Diaco players right away. Unfortunately most were not close to being division 1Players

Reaction Score
Lamerobert I think randy is bringing in much better players the he is losing. One mistake I think he made was not getting rid of most of Diaco players right away. Unfortunately most were not close to being division 1Players

To make an obvious point, it's hard to get rid of most of a 85 man scholarship roster right away when you can only replace 25 a year.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s not true. If you don’t think athletes know what classes to take I don’t know what to tell you.
The advisors tell them their class options. This isn't 30 years ago when you picked out of a catalog. And regarding APR - go to the basketball yard and talk about APR. See the responses.

Reaction Score
The advisors tell them their class options. This isn't 30 years ago when you picked out of a catalog. And regarding APR - go to the basketball yard and talk about APR. See the responses.

Our problem was getting punished twice for it, about the postseason ban rule being put into place after it was too late to improve our scores, and not using the most recent data that was easily available when we got banned. Not sure what it has to do with classes we have vs. other schools

Reaction Score
APR is meaningless. In football APR the weak academic schools can beat high academic schools: Clemson > Vanderbilt, UCF> Rice, Nevada> Boston College.

Reaction Score
APR is meaningless. In football APR the weak academic schools can beat high academic schools: Clemson > Vanderbilt, UCF> Rice, Nevada> Boston College.
Clemson is not really weak.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Y’all seen the UConnFootballTransferPortal on Twitter? Is it really a former player? Someone trolling Diaco? Trolling Edsall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom