Transfer Portal - May 2023 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

So at the 2/3...
Kansas has Timberlake, Arterio Morris, Elmarko and Marcus Adams.
Duke has Roach, Jared McCain, Mark Mitchell, and Sean Stewart.
UNC has Harrison Ingram, Cormac Ryan, Paxson Wojcik, and Simeon Wilcher.
Kentucky has Antonio Reeves (probably), Justin Edwards, Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, Adou Thiero, Chris Livingston (maybe).
Indiana has Mackenzie Mgbako and Jakai Newton? Is that it? CJ Gunn?

I'm assuming not UCLA, the East Coast/Central blue bloods.

Assuming no Jackson, we have Castle, Ball, Ross.

We look pretty attractive. Indiana has a bunch of minutes available and he has B1G familiarity. Could see UNC recruiting over Ryan.

Reaction Score
Why would he have more money to play with at Georgetown than we have?
Just my speculation based on the average salaries of Georgetown grads versus UConn grads..........at least for the first job and first ten years as shown at the site links below.
And, I'd wager they're in more board rooms and in higher level corporate jobs also. The website I found with some data on ten year salaries doesn't provide info on grads 20 and 30 years after graduation where the real money is.

Reaction Score
So at the 2/3...
Kansas has Timberlake, Arterio Morris, Elmarko and Marcus Adams.
Duke has Roach, Jared McCain, Mark Mitchell, and Sean Stewart.
UNC has Harrison Ingram, Cormac Ryan, Paxson Wojcik, and Simeon Wilcher.
Kentucky has Antonio Reeves (probably), Justin Edwards, Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, Adou Thiero, Chris Livingston (maybe).
Indiana has Mackenzie Mgbako and Jakai Newton? Is that it? CJ Gunn?

I'm assuming not UCLA, the East Coast/Central blue bloods.

Assuming no Jackson, we have Castle, Ball, Ross.

We look pretty attractive. Indiana has a bunch of minutes available and he has B1G familiarity. Could see UNC recruiting over Ryan.
We need to put on the full court press. What other program gives him the opportunity to start for a top 5 team

Reaction Score
I don’t know about “sources,” yours or anyone else’s, but it was set to be Georgetown until Cooley and company messed up by setting the transfer in motion but not finalizing the deal before the transfer news became public. Now, the price has gone up. Cooley’s been getting a lot of mileage out of his good guy rep/PC fan adoration and to see people finally getting a real look at him is gratifying. I’m not naive. I know how this all works, but some of us have been knowing about Ed.

People act like getting transfers these days is like setting your fantasy baseball roster (see a need, fill a need). It’s more complex and, to some, restrictive than it has ever been.

It was a joke. The news already seemed public and people keep trying to break it. I wanted in. I’m happy to see it wasn’t as official as it seemed.

Reaction Score
I’m laughing reading this thread. Note to all haters: Coach Cooley will be successful at Georgetown. He has way more resources than he had at PC and he was successful at PC. Read it and weep!
For the level of talent he had he actually wasn't successful at PC.

Reaction Score
I’m laughing reading this thread. Note to all haters: Coach Cooley will be successful at Georgetown. He has way more resources than he had at PC and he was successful at PC. Read it and weep!
Lol guys taking a Cooley victory lap, for what reason? Having NIL money to spend? Wow I guess it’s been so long since you’ve had something to cheer about this feels like a big victory lap moment for you

Reaction Score

Please define success? How about in March?

Reaction Score
Sadly, transfer portal really becomes the market for college athletes to shop for NIL money.

Reaction Score
What's nice about Hurley and us is we don't need to worry about these one-off recruiting battles anymore. If this kid doesn't want to come on a visit here then we know it's purely NIL based for him and he doesn't want to win a National Championship. Go to Kentucky, Georgetown or somewhere similar where they'll overpay based on supply of good players left and be a first weekend exit in the NCAA Tournament.

If you want an experience like Tristen Newton, Naheim Alleyne, etc. got then you know where to find us

Reaction Score
Please define success? How about in March?
No doubt he could have done better in March, but I think if you look at historical track record of PC basketball, ability to recruit, national perception of the program and overall W-L record, a reasonable person would come to the conclusion that he was successful at PC.

Reaction Score
No doubt he could have done better in March, but I think if you look at historical track record of PC basketball, ability to recruit, national perception of the program and overall W-L record, a reasonable person would come to the conclusion that he was successful at PC.
Worthy of a $6 million a year contract?

Reaction Score
So basically Providence was so bad for so long that even though Cooley wasn’t actually successful it still counts as success. OK.

Reaction Score

Lmao Zags "former powerhouse" Georgetown. It's true, but you don't gotta rub it in like that.

Love that we're in on Spencer. Guessing that's further confirmation on Jackson's status.

Really unlikely we will pay at the levels of Miami, Texas, Indiana or Kentucky, though. Gotta hope the national championship pedigree shine and ability to play with Clingan, et al carries some weight. We know we can't hang with Kansas for NIL, guessing the others are a bit lower than them, but probably higher than us. Reading between the lines, seems like we're trying to avoid the splashy NIL transfer signing that blows up the roster and puts the focus on $ instead of basketball. We'll see if what he's after is over that threshold.

More and more I'm thankful (and we possibly have a championship due to the fact) that we got Newton before the Nijel Pack Miami stuff hit and the market jumped up a notch last year.

Reaction Score
Lmao Zags "former powerhouse" Georgetown. It's true, but you don't gotta rub it in like that.

Love that we're in on Spencer. Guessing that's further confirmation on Jackson's status.

Really unlikely we will pay at the levels of Miami, Texas, Indiana or Kentucky, though. Gotta hope the national championship pedigree shine and ability to play with Clingan, et al carries some weight. We know we can't hang with Kansas for NIL, guessing the others are a bit lower than them, but probably higher than us. Reading between the lines, seems like we're trying to avoid the splashy NIL transfer signing that blows up the roster and puts the focus on $ instead of basketball. We'll see if what he's after is over that threshold.

More and more I'm thankful (and we possibly have a championship due to the fact) that we got Newton before the Nijel Pack Miami stuff hit and the market jumped up a notch last year.
Castle, Newton, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan is an extremely high IQ and skilled starting 5. All 5 of those guys think the game at a higher level than most college athletes

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
"National perception of the program" means please don't pay attention to three NCAA wins in 12 years.

Reaction Score
Castle, Newton, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan is an extremely high IQ and skilled starting 5. All 5 of those guys think the game at a higher level than most college athletes
I think Tom Moore is tight with Pikiell as well, so hopefully that helps. Although the transfer was described as sudden and unexpected, so not sure if Spencer is taking any guidance from Pikiell.

He's from MD originally, so Gtown is definitely the closest. We might be next closest, though we're farther than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
What's nice about Hurley and us is we don't need to worry about these one-off recruiting battles anymore. If this kid doesn't want to come on a visit here then we know it's purely NIL based for him and he doesn't want to win a National Championship. Go to Kentucky, Georgetown or somewhere similar where they'll overpay based on supply of good players left and be a first weekend exit in the NCAA Tournament.

If you want an experience like Tristen Newton, Naheim Alleyne, etc. got then you know where to find us
This is my thought. I think we'll look back in a few years and see all those guys that chased the bag and made basketball an afterthought probably would regret it. Since this is really only the 2nd year of this, we'll need another year or two of "horror stories" to bring to light that if you chose to transfer for basketball reasons, the rest (NIL $) will work itself out...

But hey, maybe everyone could end up like Nigel Pack who chased the bag AND got to play in a Final Four. I'm willing to bet on the basketball-frist UConn model over the NIL-first model long term though.

Reaction Score
Weird flex at a program that just won the whole shebang. The only thing I'm weeping at is how much money I spent on National Championship merchandise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom