Transfer Portal April 2023 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really don't get Musselman's offensive philosophy. I can't see a team that shoots so poorly ever winning it all and he never goes after any shooters.

There are bad shooters, and there is taking terrible shots. Arkansas takes a lot of terrible shots.

Reaction Score
He is doing a. Great job. Portal magician and 2 5 stars again this year. He is animated like hurley. Best player blew out knee early last year or far better ending

Like lose by 13 instead of 23 in the sweet 16?

caw

Reaction Score
There are bad shooters, and there is taking terrible shots. Arkansas takes a lot of terrible shots.

That’s indisputable but that seems to be by design which is bind-boggling esp bc they have a defense designed to take away threes and layups. So they know what a good shot is.

They are also pretty poor shooters.

Reaction Score
Musselman’s been recruiting this way since before the portal was so popular. His Nevada rosters were filled with transfers who didn’t quite work out at their first stops, dropped down a bit, and won. The turnover is wild, keep your roster sheet handy if you’re a fan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That’s indisputable but that seems to be by design which is bind-boggling esp bc they have a defense designed to take away threes and layups. So they know what a good shot is.

They are also pretty poor shooters.

Some analytics focuses WAY too much on where the shot is taken rather than the type of shot it is. All those long pull-up jumpers are just bad shots. They are usually contested, and a shot off the dribble vs. off the catch is just a more difficult shot, at any level. Arkansas takes a lot of multi-dribble, long pullups. Those are just bad, bad shots.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I dont get the MussBus hate here. He has won multiple tournament games 3 years in a row at Arkansas, I would have to think about it but think I would be fine if our next 4 years looked like his last 4
The popping the shirt off thing is doing too much imho. Everything else is hard to argue with though. Definitely part of the next generation of elite coaches.

Reaction Score
The popping the shirt off thing is doing too much imho. Everything else is hard to argue with though. Definitely part of the next generation of elite coaches.
Exactly my sentiment. He's an excellent recruiter and a very good coach. Seems like a good guy too, just keep your shirt on, bro.

If Trevon Brazile were healthy, Arkansas could have been a top-10 team and a FF/NC candidate considering how wide open this season was. Their bigs were meh and Brazile is a special talent.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm old school and always been a big culture proponent w my teams. Having a brand new roster every year reeks of Calipari and not a healthy culture. Maybe more to it than my quick dismissal, as I've always liked Muss.

Reaction Score
Like lose by 13 instead of 23 in the sweet 16?
Made 2 final 8’s and sweet 16 with team decimated by injuries. Uconn lost in first round as favorite 2 years he made elite 8. Place was a dumpster fire when he arrived. Watch a few games before you say the guy sucks. Lets not get all haughty and talk bad about others. Enjoy the success but if jackson leaves they will likely be better next year even with their lousy coach

Reaction Score
Exactly my sentiment. He's an excellent recruiter and a very good coach. Seems like a good guy too, just keep your shirt on, bro.

If Trevon Brazile were healthy, Arkansas could have been a top-10 team and a FF/NC candidate considering how wide open this season was. Their bigs were meh and Brazile is a special talent.
Exactly, you know basketball

Reaction Score
My top wishlist at the moment:

Aaron Estrada - rumors put him pretty firmly with Alabama.
Jaylon Tyson - Probably KU unless the Timberlake commit throws him off.
Noah Thomasson - Georgia, Penn St, Pitt, OK st are the top on him it seems.
Max Shulga - Might be heading to VCU with his old coach.
Dawson Baker - Seems like a mountain time zone guy.

I don't know. Maybe we just wait and see if anything else shakes loose.

Reaction Score
My top wishlist at the moment:

Aaron Estrada - rumors put him pretty firmly with Alabama.
Jaylon Tyson - Probably KU unless the Timberlake commit throws him off.
Noah Thomasson - Georgia, Penn St, Pitt, OK st are the top on him it seems.
Max Shulga - Might be heading to VCU with his old coach.
Dawson Baker - Seems like a mountain time zone guy.

I don't know. Maybe we just wait and see if anything else shakes loose.
How do we even know what we need at this point? We might just wait Tristen and Andre out

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We need a guy between 6'3 and 6'8" who can shoot. Regardless of what they do.
I'm still firmly of the belief that by late February 2024 Ross will be a guy who can give us 12-15 minutes a game off the bench and hit threes at the rate we want from that role.

He still needs to grow into his body (near term this is difficult but long term this will be a good thing) but he has a very nice stroke and is a more than willing defender. He will be a nice role player early on and will in time be a major part of a top team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm still firmly of the belief that by late February 2024 Ross will be a guy who can give us 12-15 minutes a game off the bench and hit threes at the rate we want from that role.

He still needs to grow into his body (near term this is difficult but long term this will be a good thing) but he has a very nice stroke and is a more than willing defender. He will be a nice role player early on and will in time be a major part of a top team.
Based on this, I think he’s comfortable with his body now. I cannot state enough that he may be one of the most slept on player in the class. Jeremy Lamb kind of pick up and I would not mind him getting a lot of minutes as a freshman.

Reaction Score

caw

Reaction Score
Some analytics focuses WAY too much on where the shot is taken rather than the type of shot it is. All those long pull-up jumpers are just bad shots. They are usually contested, and a shot off the dribble vs. off the catch is just a more difficult shot, at any level. Arkansas takes a lot of multi-dribble, long pullups. Those are just bad, bad shots.
Agreed.

And that seems to be by design and what he recruits for. And part of that is because he doesn't recruit shooters, like at all. It seems he has this odd philosophy that "we will beat you taking bad shots because we will force you to take bad shots."

It's just odd because he doesn't even try to get players who could make the extra pass, or take the open three. It seems he would rather his player bypass the open three for a challenged two.

Perhaps being waxed by UConn will make him adjust, but I don't see it from who he is going after in the portal.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

So if neither Jackson or Newton stays who are your starters beyond Clingan and Karaban and an untested Castle (some pretty darn talented AA freshman guards have taken time to mature even with mature teammates.)? It will be a nice result if the team is fairly successful if it is program that just lost potentially 4 key starters all of whom could’ve stayed plus two key reserves one of whom could’ve stayed. That is a team that while it was great and won an NC, still finished 4th in the league. Like it ir not (I don’t) we are in an era where some programs will need average to better than average veteran transfers to help smooth out some of the speed bumps a pretty young team is likely to face in a league like ours even though several programs are going through the same process.

And we have, at least on the BY, a bunch of fans ready to trash Hurley mid season this year and are really counting on freshmen to keep us near the top next year. I think that is unrealistic and I’d love to be wrong if it comes down to that or if suddenly a kid like Johnson becomes a solid contributor except he kinda looks like a reserve for the returning sophs. Obviously if one or both of Jackson and Newton stay it is a different ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom