Transfer Portal April 2023 | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We’ve got like 20 years of history that show that’s not the case. The only time that wasn’t the case was at the end of the Ollie era and it’s not cause guys weren’t contributing. We were just losing.

But idk, outside of the ranking Ross has all the signs of a guy who can contribute immediately. He even played pretty well against great competition his last year of high school.

Now that Hawkins has graduated he’s going to be my new torch of “give this guy playing time” to carry.
Yeah nobody is disputing that Ross can contribute, but he's not going to start day 1 for a top 10 team with legitimate championship hopes. It's just not realistic, and deep down I think you know that even if you won't admit it. There's a big difference between looking good against good HS competition and starting for one of the best college teams in the country

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Freshman impact players from the 2010s alone. I know @tcf15 has the amazing highlight reels of full seasons but I know no one has time to watch fully so I’ll try and pick moments.

Jeremy Lamb closes out SDSU

Ryan Boatright scores 23 on Arkansas
[12.3.11] Ryan Boatright - 23 Points Vs Arkansas (Complete Highlights)

Boatright hits three clutch FTs to send us to OT in his first UConn game (tcf footage buts its game one so I thought it’d
UConn Highlights: Ryan Boatright - Freshman Season (2011-2012)

Brimah’s put back and 1 to spark the championship run
UConn - Amida Brimah Putback And-One

Jalen Adams hits full court buzzer beater and scores 22 points in AAC Quarterfinal (waved off Daniel Hamilton to do it too)
Jalen Adams Full Highlights vs Cincinnati (3-11-16) 22 Pts 8 Rebs, 62 FOOT HALF COURT!

James Bouknight 19 points including and 1 putback to send the game to 2OT in his 2nd career game.
UConn Highlights: James Bouknight - Freshman Season (2019-2020)

That’s just since 2011 with certain moments. Freshmen have always made impacts on teams and came through in clutch moments for us. Even on the championship ones. This past year was not new.

I dont see a problem with Ross as a starter early on as long as he’s ready to go by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Unless a super comes onto the market, I really don’t want to take a guy to take a guy to play over anyone in this class. Odds are the guys will be better by the end of the year (like Karaban) if they get the pt.
That would be Grant Nelson from NDSU. He won't take anyone's playing time except what AJ used to get before he went pro.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We’ve got like 20 years of history that show that’s not the case. The only time that wasn’t the case was at the end of the Ollie era and it’s not cause guys weren’t contributing. We were just losing.

But idk, outside of the ranking Ross has all the signs of a guy who can contribute immediately. He even played pretty well against great competition his last year of high school.

Now that Hawkins has graduated he’s going to be my new torch of “give this guy playing time” to carry.
We shouldn't forget, Karaban had a half redshirt season. It made a huge difference. Even then, he played more than he should due to Johnson's injury. Clingan was excellent, exceeded my expectations, but still played 13 minutes a game behind a dominant upperclassman.

Castle we acknowledge is special. Ball I expect to be good, but Purdue lost with its two freshman guards for a reason. Ross and Stewart shouldn't be starting on a team we expect to compete for a deep run.

Not many freshmen at UConn started and played significant minutes. KEA. Donyell. Emeka. Gay. Butlery. Ray didn't start. Ben didn't start. 5 star McD Kemba didn't start. That doesn't mean these guys can't be contributors. I don't expect them to be nailed to the bench.

Reaction Score
Just to expound on this, I reiterate we were very spoiled by Clingan and Karaban as freshman last year. Since the 1992-93 season we've had 125 freshman and 31 players (32 times since Gilbert qualifies twice) average over 20 MPG as a freshman. That is 1 player per season that met that mark on average. There is no way to pull games started, just games played and minutes. Now this doesn't account for someone like Clingan who provided a ton of value but was still under 20 minutes a game.

So as a second frame of reference let's look at the same sample and just filter on any freshman who were a positive contributor by BPM since 2010-11 (sample of 40 and using above 0, but this is actually low since most contributors on a good team are closer to 3-4 BPM). 20 players meet this criteria, and 3 of them are Andrew Hurley, Javonte Brown Ferguson and Richie Springs in their walk on minutes. So on average you're looking at around 1-2 freshman per year meeting this criteria

Doing the same for win shares (using 2 as the baseline for an average contributor to a team). We've had 90 freshman come through the program and 31 meet this criteria. That's 31 players in 27 seasons so again, is around 1 freshman per year meeting this criteria.

TLDR: The numbers say do not expect more than 1-2 guys a year to be legitimate contributors as freshman, so penciling in 3 as starters is awfully optimistic.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That would be Grant Nelson from NDSU. He won't take anyone's playing time except what AJ used to get before he went pro.
Yeah I just watched a 1:00 of his film and I’m sold. He’s a super. How the hell did he end up at NDSU. He’s a legit NBA talent.

Reaction Score
Freshman impact players from the 2010s alone. I know @tcf15 has the amazing highlight reels of full seasons but I know no one has time to watch fully so I’ll try and pick moments.

Boatright hits three clutch FTs to send us to OT in his first UConn game (tcf footage buts its game one so I thought it’d

Jalen Adams hits full court buzzer beater and scores 22 points in AAC Quarterfinal (waved off Daniel Hamilton to do it too)
Jalen Adams Full Highlights vs Cincinnati (3-11-16) 22 Pts 8 Rebs, 62 FOOT HALF COURT!

James Bouknight 19 points including and 1 putback to send the game to 2OT in his 2nd career game.

That’s just since 2011 with certain moments. Freshmen have always made impacts on teams and came through in clutch moments for us. Even on the championship ones. This past year was not new.

I dont see a problem with Ross as a starter early on as long as he’s ready to go by the end of the year.

First of all nobody said he wouldn't have an impact. Brimah started some games middle of the season and then was removed from the starting lineup. Jalen Adams only started some games because of injuries. Boat only started a handful of games and those aren't the team results we're looking for. Bouknight, those aren't the team results we're looking for.

Lamb was truly great by the end of his freshman year and we won the national championship with him as our second best player next to Kemba who was the best player in the country. That should be the example.

I think you realize starting 3 freshmen is not really a good recipe for winning.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just to expound on this, I reiterate we were very spoiled by Clingan and Karaban as freshman last year. Since the 1992-93 season we've had 125 freshman and 31 players (32 times since Gilbert qualifies twice) average over 20 MPG as a freshman. That is 1 player per season that met that mark on average. There is no way to pull games started, just games played and minutes. Now this doesn't account for someone like Clingan who provided a ton of value but was still under 20 minutes a game.

So as a second frame of reference let's look at the same sample and just filter on any freshman who were a positive contributor by BPM since 2010-11 (sample of 40 and using above 0, but this is actually low since most contributors on a good team are closer to 3-4 BPM). 20 players meet this criteria, and 3 of them are Andrew Hurley, Javonte Brown Ferguson and Richie Springs in their walk on minutes. So on average you're looking at around 1-2 freshman per year meeting this criteria

Doing the same for win shares (using 2 as the baseline for an average contributor to a team). We've had 90 freshman come through the program and 31 meet this criteria. That's 31 players in 27 seasons so again, is around 1 freshman per year meeting this criteria.

TLDR: The numbers say do not expect more than 1-2 guys a year to be legitimate contributors as freshman, so penciling in 3 as starters is awfully optimistic.
Season 2 Nerd GIF by netflixlat

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
First of all nobody said he wouldn't have an impact. Brimah started some games middle of the season and then was removed from the starting lineup. Jalen Adams only started some games because of injuries. Boat only started a handful of games and those aren't the team results we're looking for. Bouknight, those aren't the team results we're looking for.

Lamb was truly great by the end of his freshman year and we won the national championship with him as our second best player next to Kemba who was the best player in the country. That should be the example.

I think you realize starting 3 freshmen is not really a good recipe for winning.
I can agree with all of that. (Even though I hated seeing Gibbs play over Jalen Adams) Using 2011 as an example though we had 3 freshman starters that year. And those freshman won’t be as talented as the ones we have coming in (Olander was one bless his two ringed fingers).

And we quite possibly could have the best player in the country next year in Clingan so.
Happy Got You GIF by Bounce

Reaction Score
Billy Preston is a bum who is trying to be relevant again.

OK but I thought I was setting you up for an alley pop.

Billy Preston is the 5 star who crashed his Charger that the school hooked him up with while driving drunk and receiving fellatio. The Kansas way.

Reaction Score
OK but I thought I was setting you up for an alley pop.

Billy Preston is the 5 star who crashed his Charger that the school hooked him up with while driving drunk and receiving fellatio. The Kansas way.
Do you not know who James Bouknight is LOLOLOL

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Karaban also had almost a full year of getting integrated with the team before the season started

Reaction Score
I hope for his sake that Kansas doesn’t get smacked by the NCAA for the alleged Adidas controversy. That would be a shame.

Here’s hoping they don’t find out on time for Hunter or Timber to back out. One can only pray they get smacked hard for this year for their n wrongdoings of the past. Self is a POS and Hunter acts the same please ban these guys!

Reaction Score
Do you not know who James Bouknight is LOLOLOL

I’m not trying to argue with you or put you or Kansas down. It’s just one of the funny campus stories that everyone in town knows to be true but it doesn’t break through nationally. Like Jimbo’s wife leaving him for a UF staffer or Frost’s antics in Lincoln. Ya Book is a moron.

Reaction Score

Not sure if we'd want to add an incoming JR, but Jaylin Sellers fits a need as a good shooter (1.7 3PM, 45 3p%, 13.5p) with size (6'4 180).

Since he's coming from the MAC, perchance he'd be open to a possible bench role a la Alleyne for a shot to play for the champs and in the Big East?

Other stats of note:

111.3 Offensive Rating (423rd in the nation)
35.6 FT Rate (460th in the nation)

We don't need a starter in the backcourt, but a guy like Sellers could compete for a spot and push younger players for a starting role.

Reaction Score
Here’s hoping they don’t find out on time for Hunter or Timber to back out. One can only pray they get smacked hard for this year for their n wrongdoings of the past. Self is a POS and Hunter acts the same please ban these guys!
Unfortunately not gonna happen

Reaction Score
Why did Michigan suck the past two seasons with Dickinson? I didn't watch them at all, just wondering why they were so bad with him and their other highly rated recruits? Did they have a lot of injuries?
Their point guard situation was broken the last two years- they tried two different transfers in Jones from Coastal & Llewellyn from Princeton & neither worked out like it did three years ago when they were a #1 seed & brought in Mike Smith from Columbia. Also, Dickinson is a bit overrated- not a great defender & a terrible passer out of the post- he’s ideal for Kansas though & the offense they run- not having size this year for KU really hurt their chances & squad.

Reaction Score

Go ask Duke & UK who have brought in the top NBA picks just about each year & they can’t even win with starting 3 freshmen- it is very rare you win big with a bunch of freshmen starting- Jay Wright found the perfect balance & Hurley seems to be following the blueprint thankfully!

Reaction Score

I remember Twitter blew up with this play. There were NBA players tweeting, "I'm Gumby, Dammit!"

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

That tape on Boat vs Arkansas was phenomenal. Constantly driving to the hole with as many as three defenders and converting. Give him space and he bombs the three. What an athlete: speed and agility and above all fearless. Hard to believe he was just a freshman there.

Reaction Score
Karaban also had almost a full year of getting integrated with the team before the season started
Yes, but the freshmen should be here in June...so they'll get 1/2 the time Karaban got...it's not 1 v 0

Alex is a stud, but someone like Castle is on a different level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32