Transfer Portal April 2023 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They played a 6'8" guy at center last year. They had a freshman center, but it takes those guys some time. The 2023 class is all guards and wings. They lost their PF and SF to the NBA and Rice (SF) transferred. KJ Adams will shift from 5 to 4 where he belongs and Hunter steps in at the 5. Ernest Udeh is a sophomore 5 now, can back up for a year and start next year. Ejiofor is a sophomore and can back up Adams.

They will need to recruit 4s and 5s for 2024 class, but Dickenson won't impact that. As you can see, they are all over that.

If you compare it to UConn, say Adre is in the draft, yes, we have two freshmen who can play the 3, but you can't rely on that. So we'd bring in a one year transfer while those guys develop. This is how teams will do it now. However strange it seems.

I bet Ernest or Zubi transfers now unfortunately, but thats the game. They will get the Duke kid Mgbako, and be really loaded next year.

Reaction Score
Why did Michigan suck the past two seasons with Dickinson? I didn't watch them at all, just wondering why they were so bad with him and their other highly rated recruits? Did they have a lot of injuries?

Go Blue College Basketball GIF by Michigan Athletics

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm twice this kid's age, I get it, but man he seems like a lot to deal with. Just a diva.

He is, but I guess we have a new component to consider these days, and it is for kids like this (and Timberlake for that matter) extracting maximum value out of their demand on the Portal market. Can't blame 'em for that. Seems shrewd. Nobody is going to give 2 craps in a year when he is making GLeague workout vids (at best) . Strike while the iron is hot. Unfortunately it seems like we will see a ton more of this kind of cringe in the immediate and near futures. We are just getting started.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They played a 6'8" guy at center last year. They had a freshman center, but it takes those guys some time. The 2023 class is all guards and wings. They lost their PF and SF to the NBA and Rice (SF) transferred. KJ Adams will shift from 5 to 4 where he belongs and Hunter steps in at the 5. Ernest Udeh is a sophomore 5 now, can back up for a year and start next year. Ejiofor is a sophomore and can back up Adams.

They will need to recruit 4s and 5s for 2024 class, but Dickenson won't impact that. As you can see, they are all over that.

If you compare it to UConn, say Adre is in the draft, yes, we have two freshmen who can play the 3, but you can't rely on that. So we'd bring in a one year transfer while those guys develop. This is how teams will do it now. However strange it seems.
Sorry, but I’ll never get with the idea of bringing in a low ceiling guy to take valuable time and development opportunity away from very talented freshman. Dickenson is a little different in this case though as he’s a P5 highly rated recruit that was considered one of the best bigs in college hoops at one point.

Unless a super comes onto the market, I really don’t want to take a guy to take a guy to play over anyone in this class. Odds are the guys will be better by the end of the year (like Karaban) if they get the pt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I’ll never get with the idea of bringing in a low ceiling guy to take valuable time and development opportunity away from very talented freshman. Dickenson is a little different in this case though as he’s a P5 highly rated recruit that was considered one of the best bigs in college hoops at one point.

Unless a super comes onto the market, I really don’t want to take a guy to take a guy to play over anyone in this class. Odds are the guys will be better by the end of the year (like Karaban) if they get the pt.
Experience wins. If Andre isn't back, I'd be willing to bet that a transfer starts at the 3 for us next year. I'm sure Ross and Stewart will play, but neither is ready to start for a top team. Obviously you don't bring in a crappy player, but transfers have been coming up big. Kolek wasn't exactly a big time HS recruit, and he didn't hurt Marquette any.

Reaction Score
Experience wins. If Andre isn't back, I'd be willing to bet that a transfer starts at the 3 for us next year. I'm sure Ross and Stewart will play, but neither is ready to start for a top team. Obviously you don't bring in a crappy player, but transfers have been coming up big. Kolek wasn't exactly a big time HS recruit, and he didn't hurt Marquette any.
Who is playing the 2 if Newton doesn't come back? No way I think Ball starts. I think we will get in a 2 who can shoot also.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If one does I’d hope that they’re a high level player.

If he gets the opportunity, I think Ross can pleasantly surprise a lot on this board. The more I watch him the more I want to put him in the Jordan Hawkins, James Bouknight tier. I’m just not sure who out there will have the athleticism and length he has while also looking like a pretty good shooter and willing defender.

Reaction Score
I'm twice this kid's age, I get it, but man he seems like a lot to deal with. Just a diva.
He’s done some other stuff that adds to why I think it’s corny. He like, embraced and almost pushed the idea that he was a villain for other teams. Just seems like a try hard.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ball will start if Newton doesn't come back. He's gotten overshadowed by Castle, but he's one of the best recruits we've gotten in a long time
Like I REALLY wouldn’t mind seeing Castle, Ball, and Ross as a back court.

At that point though I feel like having a dependable true PG/ballhandler off the bench is a must. But that’s one of the most talented and athletic perimeters in the Big East. Albeit young.

Reaction Score

At that point though I feel like having a dependable true PG/ballhandler off the bench is a must. But that’s one of the most talented and athletic perimeters in the Big East. Albeit young.
If you care about results next season you shouldn't want that.

Reaction Score

Yeah I know you're high on Ross, and I think he may actually get some minutes freshman year, but I think you're being way optimistic to put him into the starting lineup game 1. We were spoiled with what we got from Karaban and Clingan as freshman last year, that is not normal

Reaction Score
Everyone here loves Ball and Ross, but I think we should all be able to agree that our best backcourt option is:

Starting: Newton/Castle (Or Castle and transfer guard if Newton leaves)
Off bench: Diarra/Ball

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah I know you're high on Ross, and I think he may actually get some minutes freshman year, but I think you're being way optimistic to put him into the starting lineup game 1. We were spoiled with what we got from Karaban and Clingan as freshman last year, that is not normal
We’ve got like 20 years of history that show that’s not the case. The only time that wasn’t the case was at the end of the Ollie era and it’s not cause guys weren’t contributing. We were just losing.

But idk, outside of the ranking Ross has all the signs of a guy who can contribute immediately. He even played pretty well against great competition his last year of high school.

Now that Hawkins has graduated he’s going to be my new torch of “give this guy playing time” to carry.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you care about results next season you shouldn't want that.
Ideally Andre comes back. But if not, I really don’t know where we’re finding a 6’7 athlete who can be a good shooter in the portal.

Maybe someone who’s a 6’7 shooter, maybe an athlete who’s 6’7, but not both. I’d rather roll with the bumps to see the finished product (like Karaban) than have anymore situations with low ceiling guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom