Transfer Portal April 2023 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
So what exactly is it that you are getting at? We didn't land a transfer from Towson St who is in his mid 20's. Are we supposed to whine from now until whenever? Do you just give up on next season? I'm pretty confident the mentality going into this upcoming season will be to win. I'm pretty confident that a number of schools that got eliminated prior to the second Saturday of the tournament (and even one or two that didn't make the tournament) went into this past season believing they could win it as all.
I think you read wayyy too much into my comment. I'm not really "getting at" anything, other than what I said: the old model from the 1990s does not work under today's rules, for all the reasons I stated. I agree that this team should have the mentality to win now, and I believe they will have as good a shot as any next year when all is said and done.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
That’s great. But whatever their mentality, not every team will have the talent to win a national championship that year. There will always be teams that take a step back because talent shines and then turns pro.

Can’t i let Jackson and Newton actually leave before I worry about it? Today I have a base of two potential first round picks, one potential all conference forward and talented frosh around them. If Jackson and Newton come back, we compete for our conference title. IF AND WHEN they are gone, we replace them from the portal but the team isn’t as good. No team won’t have pain when players leave for the pros earlier than you expected, and especially where they do so only after going through a post-season process.
Agreed on pretty much all these points. I was merely pointing out to one poster (who was expecting next year to be the first of a three year chemistry experiment) that the 1990s model of team-building won't work in the modern game. Every year every team must be in win-now mode.

Reaction Score
Would be interested in seeing if we have/will reach out to Simas.
37% on 5 attempts per game. Good size
Idk why he wasn't our first call. He is a perfect fit. Unless there is something about his game that I am missing? His athleticism?

Reactions: caw

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Considering your handle I don't think it's a stretch for me to believe you know the season I was referring to and the players involved with my 'taking their lumps' comment. Tell me, who if those five would have transferred out after that season under the current set of rules?
I don't know who would've hypothetically transferred from the '97-98 team under modern rules; there are just so many variables to consider. But the question is moot because it ignores the first prong of my comment - that a player like Rip Hamilton, a 6'6" sophomore wing who averaged 21 ppg and oozed pro potential - would not have returned for his junior year in the modern era.

Reaction Score
Idk why he wasn't our first call. He is a perfect fit. Unless there is something about his game that I am missing? His athleticism?
Not sure he'd want to come sit behind Karaban. He's a great fit but I'd guess he's looking to go somewhere with more playing time available

Reaction Score
Agreed. Would love him, especially if both Tristen and Andre come back. Would be a great fit off the bench.

Reaction Score
Not sure he'd want to come sit behind Karaban. He's a great fit but I'd guess he's looking to go somewhere with more playing time available
He’s not a PF, is he?
He played the 4 almost exclusively at Butler, BUT their team stunk and was injured so it may have been out of necessity vs natural positioning? I feel like he could slide down to the 3 rather easily...He's listed as a guard/wing

Reaction Score
He played the 4 almost exclusively at Butler, BUT their team stunk and was injured so it may have been out of necessity vs natural positioning? I feel like he could slide down to the 3 rather easily...He's listed as a guard/wing
Didn’t know that. From the games against them the last 2 years he seemed to be on the perimeter a ton and handling the ball a bit.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's not really a 4. He'd be a 2/3 for us...but think he's a bit slow on the defensive end which is why i'd rather see him as a bench piece than a starter.

Reaction Score

Thursday, April 20​

CG Hunter Sallis – Gonzaga​

Hunter Sallis was the No. 19 player in the 2021 On3 Industry Ranking. Out of high school, Sallis chose Gonzaga over a group that included Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Iowa State, Creighton, and Oregon. Listed at 6-foot-5, the sophomore averaged 4.5 points in 16.7 minutes for a 31-6 Gonzaga team last season.

After entering the portal, programs like UConn and Arkansas, among others, reached out, showing interest. Sallis is currently on a visit to Wake Forest. The Deacons are selling the fact they have had consecutive first-team All-ACC guards out of the transfer portal. HuskerOnline’s Robin Washut reported Sallis will leave Winston-Salem and head to Nebraska for a visit. Sallis is an Omaha, Nebraska native, and his Omaha (NE) Millard North High School is less than 50 miles from the Nebraska campus.

While sources are saying these are the two programs to look for, watch to see if he sets any further visits.

Reaction Score
He’s not a PF, is he?
Played the majority of his minutes at the 4 for Butler last year, and occasionally the 3. I guess you could play him or Karaban at the 3 next to each other, but that's gonna be pretty tough defensively

Reaction Score
Played the majority of his minutes at the 4 for Butler last year, and occasionally the 3. I guess you could play him or Karaban at the 3 next to each other, but that's gonna be pretty tough defensively
If the fear is that he is too slow to guard your typical BE caliber wing, I could see that. At the same time though, we will have Clingan protecting the rim for 30 MPG

Reaction Score

Thursday, April 20​

CG Hunter Sallis – Gonzaga​

Hunter Sallis was the No. 19 player in the 2021 On3 Industry Ranking. Out of high school, Sallis chose Gonzaga over a group that included Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Iowa State, Creighton, and Oregon. Listed at 6-foot-5, the sophomore averaged 4.5 points in 16.7 minutes for a 31-6 Gonzaga team last season.

After entering the portal, programs like UConn and Arkansas, among others, reached out, showing interest. Sallis is currently on a visit to Wake Forest. The Deacons are selling the fact they have had consecutive first-team All-ACC guards out of the transfer portal. HuskerOnline’s Robin Washut reported Sallis will leave Winston-Salem and head to Nebraska for a visit. Sallis is an Omaha, Nebraska native, and his Omaha (NE) Millard North High School is less than 50 miles from the Nebraska campus.

While sources are saying these are the two programs to look for, watch to see if he sets any further visits.
Very bad 3pt shooter, pass

Reaction Score
Very bad 3pt shooter, pass
He's more than a 3 pt shooter.. If that's what you're basing his talents on you're missing out on a bunch more... Love his length, ability to move without the basketball. Our PG will find him, not just behind the arc but cutting to the basket and alley oops a plenty... I see what Hurley and the staff like in him... He'd fit right in here... And he'll be tougher by the time tourney time comes around next year... if the comes here...

caw

Reaction Score
He would have been mine, almost regardless of the school I was at. That kid can ball.

Reaction Score
He's more than a 3 pt shooter.. If that's what you're basing his talents on you're missing out on a bunch more... Love his length, ability to move without the basketball. Our PG will find him, not just behind the arc but cutting to the basket and alley oops a plenty... I see what Hurley and the staff like in him... He'd fit right in here... And he'll be tougher by the time tourney time comes around next year... if the comes here...

Sallis? Pass. He's a PG who has a barely positive A:TO ratio his first two years and shoots 25% from 3. There are dozens of PGs in the portal that won't hamstring your spacing. All the backdoor cutting or alley oops in the world won't matter if we're playing 4 dudes who can't shoot at once.

Reaction Score
Agreed on pretty much all these points. I was merely pointing out to one poster (who was expecting next year to be the first of a three year chemistry experiment) that the 1990s model of team-building won't work in the modern game. Every year every team must be in win-now mode.
What you state is a possibility. But to be fair to the opposite position, we don't know how the new rules will work. They're too new. Is there a chance that the four frosh -- sans Castle -- stay for 3 years? I don't know and neither do you.

Reaction Score
I mean, that was pre-portal and pre-NIL, when NBA prospects either had the talent to go straight from high school to the League, or otherwise stay with one school until their junior year. That's not the reality anymore. If anyone flashes pro potential nowadays (Castle, Clingan) they are gone after one or two years, max. If anyone "takes lumps," they transfer.

Every year, every team must have the mentality to win now.
If you play some young guys and they take some “lumps” I don’t think that at all would make them want to transfer.

Reaction Score
Sallis? Pass. He's a PG who has a barely positive A:TO ratio his first two years and shoots 25% from 3. There are dozens of PGs in the portal that won't hamstring your spacing. All the backdoor cutting or alley oops in the world won't matter if we're playing 4 dudes who can't shoot at once.
And the scouting report/game plan to defend him in that Gonzaga game was telling. Showed what Hurley thought about his weaknesses…

Reaction Score
What’s our connection to Noah Reynolds that have people think we’ll get him?

Reaction Score
I'd rather make their heads explode by being good.
He can shoot and we need shooters. If there are better ones available, then I'm all for that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think you read wayyy too much into my comment. I'm not really "getting at" anything, other than what I said: the old model from the 1990s does not work under today's rules, for all the reasons I stated. I agree that this team should have the mentality to win now, and I believe they will have as good a shot as any next year when all is said and done.
What exactly should I have read from your comment? We will play next season with two quality sophomores, a five man freshman class that may end up being highly impressive, may not be able to contribute very much or may be somewhere in between. We also will either have one or both of Jackson and Newton back or replacements for one or both who hopefully will not be too far of a dropoff. I will be stunned if we don't have a pair of veteran guards on our roster next year, whether they are returning starters or portal transfers. I don't have any illusions that we can find plug and play replacements for either if neither return.

The thing is there will be a season starting this upcoming fall and we will field a team. We need to accept that we may not have a squad that we can be confident in prior to opening night is capable of cutting down the nets in early April. FWIW, the three most recent times that we did cut down the nets, we did not begin the season with anyone claiming we could end up doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom