Transfer Portal April 2023 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So if neither Jackson or Newton stays who are your starters beyond Clingan and Karaban and an untested Castle (some pretty darn talented AA freshman guards have taken time to mature even with mature teammates.)? It will be a nice result if the team is fairly successful if it is program that just lost potentially 4 key starters all of whom could’ve stayed plus two key reserves one of whom could’ve stayed. That is a team that while it was great and won an NC, still finished 4th in the league. Like it ir not (I don’t) we are in an era where some programs will need average to better than average veteran transfers to help smooth out some of the speed bumps a pretty young team is likely to face in a league like ours even though several programs are going through the same process.

And we have, at least on the BY, a bunch of fans ready to trash Hurley mid season this year and are really counting on freshmen to keep us near the top next year. I think that is unrealistic and I’d love to be wrong if it comes down to that or if suddenly a kid like Johnson becomes a solid contributor except he kinda looks like a reserve for the returning sophs. Obviously if one or both of Jackson and Newton stay it is a different ball game.
FWIW I still vividly remember when, after at the time out most successful three year run ever (with more talent flowing through our program during that stretch than any point in the past) we ended up spending most of the season starting two sophomores and three freshmen (neither of the sophomores started any games as freshmen). They took quite a few lumps that season but two years later cut down the nets as our first national champions.

If we need to endure something similar on our path to our next championship so be it. It's a small price to pay

caw

Reaction Score
So if neither Jackson or Newton stays who are your starters beyond Clingan and Karaban and an untested Castle (some pretty darn talented AA freshman guards have taken time to mature even with mature teammates.)? It will be a nice result if the team is fairly successful if it is program that just lost potentially 4 key starters all of whom could’ve stayed plus two key reserves one of whom could’ve stayed. That is a team that while it was great and won an NC, still finished 4th in the league. Like it ir not (I don’t) we are in an era where some programs will need average to better than average veteran transfers to help smooth out some of the speed bumps a pretty young team is likely to face in a league like ours even though several programs are going through the same process.

And we have, at least on the BY, a bunch of fans ready to trash Hurley mid season this year and are really counting on freshmen to keep us near the top next year. I think that is unrealistic and I’d love to be wrong if it comes down to that or if suddenly a kid like Johnson becomes a solid contributor except he kinda looks like a reserve for the returning sophs. Obviously if one or both of Jackson and Newton stay it is a different ball game.

Right now the starters are probably three freshmen and two sophomores.
PG - Castle - Diarra
SG - Ball - Roumoglou
SF - Ross or Stewart - Ross or Stewart
PF - Karaban - Johnson
C - Clingan - Singare

That appears to be the roster right now. Super young but super talented also. I think it could be similar to Arkansas this past year in terms of results.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
FWIW I still vividly remember when, after at the time out most successful three year run ever (with more talent flowing through our program during that stretch than any point in the past) we ended up spending most of the season starting two sophomores and three freshmen (neither of the sophomores started any games as freshmen). They took quite a few lumps that season but two years later cut down the nets as our first national champions.

If we need to endure something similar on our path to our next championship so be it. It's a small price to pay
I don’t disagree. I just think some people around here think we will be a #1 next year with such a line up. And that also assumes these guys will be here in 2 or 3 years to jell. But who are your starters?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree. I just think some people around here think we will be a #1 next year with such a line up. And that also assumes these guys will be here in 2 or 3 years to jell. But who are your starters?
My projected lineup would be very similar to what CAW posted just above your post that I am responding to.

As far as the fans who won't be satisfied:

If eleven months ago they were told "there's good news and bad news. The good news is this upcoming season we will win title number five and two freshmen (Clingan & Karaban) will greatly exceed expectations and demonstrate that during their sophomore seasons each can be a major cog in a top five team. The bad news is the remainder of the starting lineup will be comprised of three players from what may end up being the most talented freshman class we've ever had".

I think very few would not have been happy hearing that.

Reaction Score
He is a shoot first point guard that can’t defend. I think you just want him to screw with the Syracuse fans.
Could fill the Joey role, no?

Reaction Score
He is a shoot first point guard that can’t defend. I think you just want him to screw with the Syracuse fans.
If he’d get in shape, Hurley would make him a player.

Reaction Score
Right now the starters are probably three freshmen and two sophomores.
PG - Castle - Diarra
SG - Ball - Roumoglou
SF - Ross or Stewart - Ross or Stewart
PF - Karaban - Johnson
C - Clingan - Singare

That appears to be the roster right now. Super young but super talented also. I think it could be similar to Arkansas this past year in terms of results.
If those are our SG and PF backups, we're in trouble.

caw

Reaction Score
Maybe I can post it correctly this time

Guess they are hoping they get Bronny.

They are losing a good amount from a mediocre team but picked up perhaps the best incoming freshman in the country in Collier and get Boogie Ellis back.

caw

Reaction Score
If those are our SG and PF backups, we're in trouble.

Possible that Stewart could back up at the PF and Ross at the two. Most teams go 7-8 deep, some of the best teams last year went six.

I do think Johnson will be fine as a back up for the 4. The five back up is more of a concern because Clingan is a bit foul prone and Karaban has shown he can play 30+ minutes.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score

I mean, that was pre-portal and pre-NIL, when NBA prospects either had the talent to go straight from high school to the League, or otherwise stay with one school until their junior year. That's not the reality anymore. If anyone flashes pro potential nowadays (Castle, Clingan) they are gone after one or two years, max. If anyone "takes lumps," they transfer.

Every year, every team must have the mentality to win now.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I mean, that was pre-portal and pre-NIL, when NBA prospects either had the talent to go straight from high school to the League, or otherwise stay with one school until their junior year. That's not the reality anymore. If anyone flashes pro potential nowadays (Castle, Clingan) they are gone after one or two years, max. If anyone "takes lumps," they transfer.

So what exactly is it that you are getting at? We didn't land a transfer from Towson St who is in his mid 20's. Are we supposed to whine from now until whenever? Do you just give up on next season? I'm pretty confident the mentality going into this upcoming season will be to win. I'm pretty confident that a number of schools that got eliminated prior to the second Saturday of the tournament (and even one or two that didn't make the tournament) went into this past season believing they could win it as all.

Considering your handle I don't think it's a stretch for me to believe you know the season I was referring to and the players involved with my 'taking their lumps' comment. Tell me, who if those five would have transferred out after that season under the current set of rules?

Reaction Score

That’s great. But whatever their mentality, not every team will have the talent to win a national championship that year. There will always be teams that take a step back because talent shines and then turns pro.

Can’t i let Jackson and Newton actually leave before I worry about it? Today I have a base of two potential first round picks, one potential all conference forward and talented frosh around them. If Jackson and Newton come back, we compete for our conference title. IF AND WHEN they are gone, we replace them from the portal but the team isn’t as good. No team won’t have pain when players leave for the pros earlier than you expected, and especially where they do so only after going through a post-season process.

Reaction Score
Possible that Stewart could back up at the PF and Ross at the two. Most teams go 7-8 deep, some of the best teams last year went six.

I do think Johnson will be fine as a back up for the 4. The five back up is more of a concern because Clingan is a bit foul prone and Karaban has shown he can play 30+ minutes.

If we're worried about size at the 5...

Reaction Score
Portal needs are an offensive banger down low to replace Sanogo- hope Clingan can become that but we need another- as well as another shooter. Our outside shooting flourished not just because so many guys could make the 3 but because we had Sanogo as an unstoppable offensive weapon down low. He is our biggest loss. Hopefully, coach Hurley is able to recruit a banger if portal isn’t the supply.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a good time to remember that stretch last year when half the board was freaking out because Akok and CFJ left and we had added no players whatsoever in the portal. Clearly, Andrew Hurley was going to play PG and the program was well and truly Doomed.

Possibly lots of holes to fill. Really need a Wing/SF most of all. A combo guard that can shoot would also be helpful. Thank God Johnson is staying or we'd need a big. I am sure the staff is working hard and we are an appealing destination. The biggest issue may be the unclear status of Andre and Newton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom