Transfer Portal (2022-2023) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Texas has three star quality players with good chemistry next season in Matharu, A Moore, and Harmon. Can’t mess with that. Anyone who comes on board has to be a good chemistry fit.
Really do not know much about Blackwell in a team player concept but she does fit the Vic mold of tough rebounding inside player. Chemistry wise she may not be a fit but you guys can rely on Vic, if she does not fit he will not mess up what he has for next year.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense. Things are going nuts.
I don't know how how to say this politely but the portal these days has made college sports laughable in a lot of ways. But its here to stay and there is nothing we can do about it.

Sucks for Kentucky though if true. I will gladly take Hunt... I love Edwards but her off the court issues concern me

Reaction Score
GoS post on twitter, not reported by R---- as of yet, but wow.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say I have concerns about excessive transfers. Edwards won the SEC tournament with that shot, Massengill has already left UT and is transferring again, and I don't think Hunt ever lived up to her hype out of high school.

Maybe Elzy is a bigger problem than I realized. I wondered what was up during that mid season swoon but the Cats looked terrific winning the SEC tournament. Howard is gone so the remaining team would have more opportunities to score and lead, but these upperclassmen are leaving for who knows where.

No player should be forced to stay in a situation that's a bad one and perhaps KY fits that mold, we won't know. I think players just want a change of scenery and, my cynical part, to have that cycle of people lobbying for your services happen again. All three will likely find themselves on a roster next year but I doubt they will receive more time than they would have at UK.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say I have concerns about excessive transfers. Edwards won the SEC tournament with that shot, Massengill has already left UT and is transferring again, and I don't think Hunt ever lived up to her hype out of high school.

Maybe Elzy is a bigger problem than I realized. I wondered what was up during that mid season swoon but the Cats looked terrific winning the SEC tournament. Howard is gone so the remaining team would have more opportunities to score and lead, but these upperclassmen are leaving for who knows where.

No player should be forced to stay in a situation that's a bad one and perhaps KY fits that mold, we won't know. I think players just want a change of scenery and, my cynical part, to have that cycle of people lobbying for your services happen again. All three will likely find themselves on a roster next year but I doubt they will receive more time than they would have at UK.
Withstanding that mini run in the SECT. They were a massive disappointment this year. Finishing #9 in the SEC with that roster and getting bounced in the first round is underwhelming to put it nicely.

I was happy for Coach Elzy after they won SECs but thats a major red flag to me and the future of Kentucky if these rumors are true..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Withstanding that mini run in the SECT. They were a massive disappointment this year. Finishing #9 in the SEC with that roster and getting bounced in the first round is underwhelming to put it nicely.

I was happy for Coach Elzy after they won SECs but thats a major red flag to me and the future of Kentucky if these rumors are true..
In his initial press conference the new men’s basketball coach for Mississippi State talked about building teams each season versus a program where you had an idea each season of what to reasonably expect. With the new transfer rules I can see the point.

Reaction Score
No disrespect. But, if they could hardly perform well with Rhyne Howard getting double and triple teamed, what makes them think they’d perform better with potentially less talent around them?

Reaction Score
No disrespect. But, if they could hardly perform well with Rhyne Howard getting double and triple teamed, what makes them think they’d perform better with potentially less talent around them?
Idk maybe they will get better coaching. No one got better....

But we said the same thing with A&M and Carter, and they were a different team after she graduated.

Reaction Score
Idk maybe they will get better coaching. No one got better....

But we said the same thing with A&M and Carter, and they were a different team after she graduated.

Maybe, but at some point it should stop being all on coaching and the fault should sometimes fall on the players as well. I don’t recall Massengill doing much at Tennessee, either.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but at some point it should stop being all on coaching and the fault should sometimes fall on the players as well. I don’t recall Massengill doing much at Tennessee, either.
Massengil is a role player more so than someone who is going to take over a game. She would be a decent get, not someone who will make or break anyone next year.

Edwards is legit but the issue is she has gotten into trouble and has gotten herself suspended multiple times.

Not sure what to make of Hunt, she is still young but I expected more from her. Maybe a fresh start would be best for her. She has shown glimpses but hasn't been steady or put it all together yet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Of the three KY portal players, only Hunt is an underclassman. Edwards and Massengill are academic seniors so are likely gradxfers. That makes this less of an indictment of the program, I mean, no one is expecting Howard to stay.

Reaction Score
Of the three KY portal players, only Hunt is an underclassman. Edwards and Massengill are academic seniors so are likely gradxfers. That makes this less of an indictment of the program, I mean, no one is expecting Howard to stay.
I guess we need to accept the new norm as a player who has hit 3 or 4 schools along the way :D

Reaction Score
Edwards has a lot of baggage and Massengill was also thought to be disruptive. They are talented players but losing them might be addition by subtraction in order to build the program.

Reaction Score
I do wonder how long it’ll be before the NCAA tries to do something to limit this. I think a lot of these transfers could be avoided if players were honest with themselves from the beginning of their recruiting process. Do some coaches and programs lie? Absolutely, but everyone isn’t lying. I also think students and their parents aren’t asking questions and doing their homework. I think social media plays a factor because it seems some players prioritize the popular schools vs the ones that actually need them.

I know for sure I’ve seen Dawn state she meets with families to set expectations and probably to nip the possibility of issues pertaining to playing time arising later down the line.

Reaction Score
I do wonder how long it’ll be before the NCAA tries to do something to limit this. I think a lot of these transfers could be avoided if players were honest with themselves from the beginning of their recruiting process. Do some coaches and programs lie? Absolutely, but everyone isn’t lying. I also think students and their parents aren’t asking questions and doing their homework. I think social media plays a factor because it seems some players prioritize the popular schools vs the ones that actually need them.

I know for sure I’ve seen Dawn state she meets with families to set expectations and probably to nip the possibility of issues pertaining to playing time arising later down the line.
Throw in NIL into the mix, you got more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom